Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Entropic posted:

The actual gameplay in the Beta is fine, but it has weird annoying issues in how the tournament screens work. E.g. it will show everyone being in game 1 of their round even when you're only waiting on one pair, and there's no way to close the game screen after your game is done.

Well, it's less that, it's more that my old computer broke and I am running on a older version laptop and I want to run the less system intensive one, though I can't find the beta system requirements, just the original ones. :(

e: Also, I can't seem to get to the account creation page either. Is this tied to maintenance?

Samael fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The queues for these free events open today at 2 PM PT and only 1000 people are allowed to enter each one. How active is MTGO at peak, is it even going to be worth trying to get into such a limited number of slots?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Control + Shift = Card Zoom without having to simultaneously press mouse buttons.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

For guide I was looking more for "how do I buy cards for cheap" and "I paid :10bux: now what do I have to get, what do I do with tickets"

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Mortimer posted:

For guide I was looking more for "how do I buy cards for cheap" and "I paid :10bux: now what do I have to get, what do I do with tickets"

Use your new player tickets for newbie sealed or draft events and sell you prize pack for fix. Use fix to buy from a good series of bots. Rinse and repeat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mortimer posted:

It depends what you want to do. You can't buy singles directly from Wizards nor can you directly trade the cards for money in the interface.

You can either use a well-known bot that saves your partial credits, or you can go to someone like mtgotraders and buy the cards in cash with a slight discount (I forget the coupon code, but its well known on the itnernet). That, however, does require you to give them money outside the game and wait for them to deliver the cards to you. The only things you buy from Wizards itself is event tickets, really. Tickets function very much like money in MTGO - they cost $1.00 and therefore, when you see something that says a card is for sale for, e.g. Thoughtseize for 5.87 tickets, its basically $5.87, but the bot has to save the partial tickets since you can't split them.

Same goes for boosters, prizes in MTGO are all boosters, so people sell them back to the bots and you can buy them for less than they cost directly from Wizards, so don't bother to buy them directly from the store interface or enter tournaments with just the tickets. The only reason to ever buy a booster is to enter a draft or sealed tournament. Its about 0.01% as gently caress as opening packs in real life.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I mostly use Acadamy_buybot and sellbot to move cards.

If you liquidate your boosters (which I don't know if you can with newly purchased account boosters?) you should be able to throw together a white weenie deck that you can use to play games with.

If you have any ambitions of drafting or doing sealed, you'll have to drop some more cash however.

Always always always always buy event tickets, never product. Bots sell products for less tickets than the price of items in the shop, as a for instance, if a booster pack for BNG is $3.95, you can buy 4 tickets for $4 and get it for 3.10 tix or whatever the going rate is now, and the bot will take 4 tix and save your credit for future purchases/transactions (try to use a small group of bots to maximize this, for instance, I only ever buy boosters from CardBoosterBot).

Any decent bot will price each card in the transaction chat, commons should only ever run you .05 to .10 tix at most, uncommons anywhere from .2 to .5, and rares from .8 to the moon depending on which rare it is.

If you're going to buy something decently expensive, use the search on the Classifieds tab to find the going rate for it, you can swing the price as much as a ticket in some cases, but, be ware of buying from too many different bots that you don't benefit from the credit saved (as a for instance, buying a Jace Memory Adept for 4.2 from one bot instead of 4.6 from another, but then never using that bot again and letting .8 of a ticket languish until you forget about it.)

Try to keep a .txt with your bot names/credits too, I don't, but it's probably not a bad idea?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Boco_T posted:

The queues for these free events open today at 2 PM PT and only 1000 people are allowed to enter each one. How active is MTGO at peak, is it even going to be worth trying to get into such a limited number of slots?

If you have to go out of your way to try and log in to sign up I wouldn't bother.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a bloo bloo bloo I can't flip cards for a profit because my market is composed entirely of stores whose job it is to pay less for cards than they can sell them for and creating artificial bubbles off market runs doesn't actually create lasting demand.

This is the guy who would make a pick and shovel seller in 1849 San Francisco a lot of money.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Boco_T posted:

They are going to fill up so fast. So, so fast.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

a bloo bloo bloo I can't flip cards for a profit because my market is composed entirely of stores whose job it is to pay less for cards than they can sell them for and creating artificial bubbles off market runs doesn't actually create lasting demand.

This is the guy who would make a pick and shovel seller in 1849 San Francisco a lot of money.

That's our own The Wonder Weapon.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think that was my first or second Torment rare. I always wondered what would happen if you had another "can't lose the game" effect in play and went over 20 life with that.

This sounds like a dumb EDH idea I should attempt.

Witch Hunt + Transcendence seems like a fun combo:

"Players can't gain life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Witch Hunt deals 4 damage to you.
At the beginning of your end step, target opponent chosen at random gains control of Witch Hunt."

"You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life.
When you have 20 or more life, you lose the game.
Whenever you lose life, you gain 2 life for each 1 life you lost. (Damage dealt to you causes you to lose life.)"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I mean, it's cool that speculation on card prices doesn't make you that much money, but what people hate about speculators isn't the money they make, it's the prices they drive up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, it's cool that speculation on card prices doesn't make you that much money, but what people hate about speculators isn't the money they make, it's the prices they drive up.

Pretty much. Anyone who has a box (or several) of Modern Masters sitting in their closet deserves a punch in the dick, especially since many of them are hypocrites and whine that the print run wasn't big enough to draft it in stores. Of course it wasn't, but removing a chunk of the supply from circulation because you had a pile of money to burn at the right time doesn't loving help matters.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Pretty much. Anyone who has a box (or several) of Modern Masters sitting in their closet deserves a punch in the dick, especially since many of them are hypocrites and whine that the print run wasn't big enough to draft it in stores. Of course it wasn't, but removing a chunk of the supply from circulation because you had a pile of money to burn at the right time doesn't loving help matters.

Come at me!!

I bought a box at 240 to draft but it never worked out, schedule wise. Now looking at the prices on eBay, I can't stand to crack it for a draft.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Come at me!!

I bought a box at 240 to draft but it never worked out, schedule wise. Now looking at the prices on eBay, I can't stand to crack it for a draft.

At least you sort of intended to draft it and then just kind of went :stare: at the price jump, though I'd say sell it if you're never going to open it, let someone have some fun.

I'm specifically thinking of the guy at my LGS who is sitting on a case and loves to remind everyone of this every couple of weeks when the store fired off THREE drafts of the set in total.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Night Danger Moose posted:

My first pack rare was Transcendence. :negative:

How does that work with Lich?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You go to 0 life, draw 2 cards for every life between your current total and 0, every point of damage you suffer causes you to draw 2 cards (unless you have Transcendence out after Lich, in which case nothing happens when it enters the battlefield). You lose when you can't satisfy the permanent sacrifice clause on Lich.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

I'm pretty sure the point he was making went right over your head.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My closet is sadly empty of MMA boxes, but it may contain 20 playsets of SDCC walkers waiting for just 1 more spike.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Depends on how it plays out (including the cards coming into play).

If Transcendence (abbreviated T) is in play first, Lich entering play causes you to try and lose life equal to your current life total. It succeeds and you draw (life x 2) cards. If you take damage, two things happen: first, you have to sacrifice that many non-land permanents. Secondly, you still take the damage and basically end up drawing two cards for each one damage you took.

You can't ever lose to the T condition of having more than 20 life, but you're going to be drawing a fuckton of cards (which could deck you) and you still have to worry about the Lich. Also, even though your health goes ever-downwards (no gaining 2 life for every one you lose), you don't have to worry about losing to <0 health as long as Lich is in play.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jassi007 posted:

I'm pretty sure the point he was making went right over your head.

I'm pretty sure the point was "it's impossible to make money on specs unless you hit the 'got in at bulk-rare price' lottery, so leave it to us professionals, you filthy casuals"

It was a cautionary tale about trying to spec and losing because he was buying to flip the same day instead of holding long. Basically the thrust of this article is "Gee, HFT sucks if you don't have massive economies of scale" ignoring that HFT is loving brutalizing to markets and is in general a lovely thing.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Tharizdun posted:

I took this as less of a bitch/whine and more of a cautionary tale about speculation.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

I took this as less of a bitch/whine and more of a cautionary tale about speculation.

Same. I didn't read any bitch/whine on it honestly. Reasonable article.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"Sorry, guy who wanted to make a Ghave deck. If it's any consolation, my costing you nine bucks earned me a cool seventy-five cents. This is good because market liquidity or something."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Depends on how it plays out (including the cards coming into play).

If Transcendence (abbreviated T) is in play first, Lich entering play causes you to try and lose life equal to your current life total. It succeeds and you draw (life x 2) cards. If you take damage, two things happen: first, you have to sacrifice that many non-land permanents. Secondly, you still take the damage and basically end up drawing two cards for each one damage you took.

You can't ever lose to the T condition of having more than 20 life, but you're going to be drawing a fuckton of cards (which could deck you) and you still have to worry about the Lich. Also, even though your health goes ever-downwards (no gaining 2 life for every one you lose), you don't have to worry about losing to <0 health as long as Lich is in play.

Not to mention you still lose to your opponent destroying Lich. The only thing the combo really does is let you draw lots and lots of cards to replace your lost permanents.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

I'm pretty sure the point was "it's impossible to make money on specs unless you hit the 'got in at bulk-rare price' lottery, so leave it to us professionals, you filthy casuals"

It was a cautionary tale about trying to spec and losing because he was buying to flip the same day instead of holding long. Basically the thrust of this article is "Gee, HFT sucks if you don't have massive economies of scale" ignoring that HFT is loving brutalizing to markets and is in general a lovely thing.

Yup, you definitely missed the point. It was, people who buy cards to resell don't make zillions of dollars, stop assuming everyone who does so is some kind of 1900's Robber Baron.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

The article was actually

"Here's a story about how even when a spec doubles, actually realizing those profits can be difficult and time consuming, its an important thing to remember"

but you know, rage on about how the tiny tiny portion of people speculating is just ruining Magic or are all stupid or whatever

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonked posted:

So... how often do people actually redeem their MTGO cards for real cards? Obviously it probably doesn't make sense from a pure "Buy online cards and redeem them for real cards" perspective, since somebody would be making a killing at that. But if I'm going to be playing mostly drafts anyway, how rarely does something like that happen?

I think it tailed off when the redemption fee went from $5 to $25. But plenty of people still do it. When I was first getting back in to magic I got at least 25 sets that way and it worked great. I imagine if you are a buybot and can set a low bid price you can do really well. Especially if you are a physical store who can charge retail on the other end.

I mean, without trying very hard I can get a whole set of Theros for $93. Say I get a playset for $370, that'll be an additional $115 or something in fees and shipping and tax since I'm in WA like WotC. So somewhere around $500. Make the (best case, admittedly) comparison with SCG which has one set at $299, or $1200 plus shipping total and you can see it makes great sense.

Of course, even better really is to just get only cards you need, or cobble a complete set together from your own drafts then redeem.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Anyone know from experience how long MTGO maintenance downtimes typically are? I gotta get my cube fix, man!

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

some commenter posted:

I love reading MTG Finance articles as almost the allegorical fairy-tale version of actual big-boy stock trading, but Randian supermen buying and selling cardboard squares for profit is always going to be adorable to me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Anyone know from experience how long MTGO maintenance downtimes typically are? I gotta get my cube fix, man!

Wizards has set the Blizzard "when it's finished" standard for downtimes.

Expect it to be from another 10 minutes to another hour.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I didn't think my article this week was anything spectacular but it got several people real angry at me on Twitter for some reason http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/04/30/my-spec-quadrupled-but-i-only-made-75-each/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I didn't think my article this week was anything spectacular but it got several people real angry at me on Twitter for some reason http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/04/30/my-spec-quadrupled-but-i-only-made-75-each/

This is up further on the page.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you guys are watching a game during a local tourney, do you point it out if you see someone, for instance, play a card they don't have the mana for and no one else notices? I did this last night and felt like a shitheel...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stinky Pit posted:

The article was actually

"Here's a story about how even when a spec doubles, actually realizing those profits can be difficult and time consuming, its an important thing to remember"

but you know, rage on about how the tiny tiny portion of people speculating is just ruining Magic or are all stupid or whatever

Both points aren't mutually exclusive. The ~wizard speculators~ won't realize much profit AND anyone else who wants to buy the cards for play has to pay more. The funny thing is that I've made a similar point in the past to the card sharks I know, even telling them I'd pay them the extra dollar in difference they'll net from buylisting on their wizard investment. They declined. Seeing the retail prices triple makes you feel better even though you won't make much more money I guess.

Personally, I only do the trading thing because it's fun and it allows me to keep up with prices without pumping more money into the black hole. I imagine this intention of trading is the most popular, but you only ever hear of people wanting the next big spec just to flip it for real world cash dollars often for minimum wage.

e:

quote:

If you guys are watching a game during a local tourney, do you point it out if you see someone, for instance, play a card they don't have the mana for and no one else notices? I did this last night and felt like a shitheel...
You'd be a shitheel not to point it out. If your store has a judge you could even tell them to pause while you call for the judge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jassi007 posted:

Yup, you definitely missed the point. It was, people who buy cards to resell don't make zillions of dollars, stop assuming everyone who does so is some kind of 1900's Robber Baron.

The point, as Nehru the Damaja illustrated, was that they actually still have a gilded-age-robber-baron negative effect on the guy at the end who just wants to buy some Magic singles, they just see a hilariously small portion of that inflation themselves, so basically they're not just destructive, they're destructive and (in retrospect) dumb.

e: the post just above me also reiterated this point while I was typing

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

The article was actually

If I may take a second to quote Zizek, all authorial intent is dead, and the reader is free to construe any meaning they can fairly arrive at from a piece. In truth, all MtG Finance articles are in fact about class warfare as viewed through a 21st century lens, and Mr. Allen ignores the struggle of the proletariat against rent-seeking behaviors of the monied speculator at his own peril.
[/supermechagodzilla]

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alleged shots of FTV: Annihilation.

It looks legit, but who knows. People fake stuff all the time like fake Duck Faygo.

No Damnation. :negative:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Alleged spyshots of FTV: Annihilation.

http://imgur.com/a/n9X5T

No Damnation. :negative:

Terminus? :confused: