Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Bidness posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. Will I need to let him out for food or water or a bathroom break at some point in those ~8 hours?

Personally, my cat refused to eat or drink the entire time, and had no accidents. I think she didn't want to eat or drink when she didn't have anywhere to go? I don't know how another cat my act about that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Had a terrible weekend in regards to my cat Charlie. It started after I had finished washing the dishes I realized he was taking a longer time than normal to pee. :siren: alarm bells :siren:

The day was a public holiday so my partner and I had to rush him to an emergency vet. They checked him out and told us he would need a catheter and gave us a quote for $3000. We didn't have anywhere near that amount so the vet started to talk about "other options" (such as putting him down) and were offered a finance option. ONLY after we were rejected for the finance option and my parter is freaking out and crying because she thinks she has to put her cat down that the vet brings up the option of draining the urine with a needle and giving pain medication so we can go to our normal vet the next day. It's basically our only option, and cost $400.

The next day we went to out normal vet and she couldn't find his bladder so she decided it would be best to give him antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory and watch him. We do that and 4 hours later he urinates. Ordeal over and $650 total gone. It's better than $3000 though.

My partner is angry with the emergency vets for not exploring the antibiotics + anti-inflammatory option and suggesting to go straight for the catheter procedure(which cost $3000).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

spregalia posted:

Can cats be dominant-handed (pawed)? I've noticed Chewie prefers his left paw for swatting at toys, laser pointers, etc. He'll still use his right paw, but it seems like his left paw is the preferred/default even when it may be easier for him to use the right paw.

I assume so - horses have a preferred side too - so no reason that cats wouldn't.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Putting in the catheter and hospitalizing the cat is standard of care for a blocked kitty, which is why it was recommended first. Poking the bladder with a needle can be risky depending on how big and firm the bladder is, because if it's been blocked long enough that the bladder is huge and turgid, poking it with a needle could possibly make it rupture. They probably brainstormed that back-up option because you guys couldn't afford hospitalization, they thought the bladder wasn't bad enough to rupture, and they didn't want to make you euthanize your cat. For a lot of cats, that back-up method would not have worked and they would have had to come back, and it's really fortunate that it worked for yours.

For cats that come in "blocked", but have a small-to-medium bladder and may not be fully obstructed, often emergency hospitals will try to give some medication to relax the urethral sphincter and some pain medication to see if the cat will be able to pee on his own. For cats with bigger bladders, or cats where they try that and it doesn't work, passing a urinary catheter is necessary to relieve the obstruction. The e-vet made that call based on your cat's symptoms. As for antibiotics, less than 2% of cats who are blocked actually have a urinary tract infection so they aren't typically used for blocked kitties.

I know it's easy to be suspicious because vet bills are so expensive and conveniently, the most expensive option was presented first, but they gave it first because it was the best treatment option based on your cat's clinical signs. I have been in a fair number of vet hospitals and clinics at this point and have helped manage quite a few cases now as a vet student, and I have never, ever heard anyone suggest something because it was the most expensive option. Frequently, we pick the lower-cost test, we try to come up with ways to save money, and we don't charge for things that we did to try to work around financial constraints. If the e-vet thought that catheterization was the best option, then it probably was, even though in the end it (fortunately) wasn't required.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought as much, also the cost would have been inflated due to it being an e-vet hospital. Thanks for putting it in a way I can explain to my SO so she doesn't feel like they were trying to rip her off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

spregalia posted:

Can cats be dominant-handed (pawed)? I've noticed Chewie prefers his left paw for swatting at toys, laser pointers, etc. He'll still use his right paw, but it seems like his left paw is the preferred/default even when it may be easier for him to use the right paw.

It's quite possible, I just listened to a podcast (forgot which) where they were testing parrots for handedness.

I just remembered, it was Radiolab from sometime this year.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why does a cath cost three grand? Is it just they charge what they want because you would have no other choice?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Butt Bidness posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. Will I need to let him out for food or water or a bathroom break at some point in those ~8 hours?

No, just wait until you get to wherever you're sleeping, he'll be fine. My cat didn't actually eat or use the litter box the first night of my trip, and there were no issues.

I was freaking out about it, but she pooped and ate just fine at the next stop.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Drythe posted:

Why does a cath cost three grand? Is it just they charge what they want because you would have no other choice?

It's not just to place the catheter. You have to relieve the blockage, flush out the bladder, replace it with a soft catheter that can stay in and hospitalize the cat for a few days until the urine looks normal. Staying in ICU will take up the bulk of that cost - it's expensive to keep an emergency hospital open 24/7 with staff there at all hours to make sure your animal's doing ok and give it all the care it needs.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

I said it here a few months ago, but pet insurance is a hell of a lot cheaper than a serious vet visit.

I'm paying about €12 a month for two cats for full coverage with a €90 excess. My cat was one more vet trip from being put to sleep after breaking a leg and getting a nasty post op infection because I couldn't afford any more bills. Luckily he recovered, but they're both insured now, so it shouldn't ever be a problem again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drythe posted:

It would half that cost at a normal vet, my cat just likes to get sick when it's a public holiday because he is a jerk.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

cormac posted:

I said it here a few months ago, but pet insurance is a hell of a lot cheaper than a serious vet visit.

I've had a bitch of a time finding a plan that would actually help. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people thinking they were covered and then having to fight for months on end to justify a payment.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Drythe posted:

My old vet was amazing about always giving an cost sheet with high and low estimates and options for less expensive meds and such. I don't know why all vets don't do this. Once you look at the cost breakdown, it doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Of course, my cat had a similar urinary issue and even with the cath it only cost $180, so $3,000 is a bit :psyduck:. He didn't have to stay overnight and it was at a regular vet, but my ferret had abdominal surgery, followed by midnight e-vet care and an overnight at the vet and it was still cheaper than that estimate. This is where those breakdown sheets help, to see exactly what services they're including in the estimate.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My gf and I just got a cat recently (maine coon?). He hid a little the first few hours but has been really well adjusted to us. He sleeps on the bed, follows us around, and is really pleasant.

However we are having one issue. He seems to clean himself a lot which is fine till he starts biting and scratching a lot to the point of hair coming out and rough scratches on him.

I put a treatment of advantage II on to make sure it is not fleas, bought different food to try, and not sure what is going on. His hair is thicker than when we got him and the adoption place said they got him because the house he was at was causing him to be stressed.

It has only been a few weeks but I'm thinking I will take him to the vet next week if I don't see improvement. Any other suggestions? Could he be bored with us not being there during work and need another cat?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

My gf and I just got a cat recently (maine coon?). He hid a little the first few hours but has been really well adjusted to us. He sleeps on the bed, follows us around, and is really pleasant.

However we are having one issue. He seems to clean himself a lot which is fine till he starts biting and scratching a lot to the point of hair coming out and rough scratches on him.

I put a treatment of advantage II on to make sure it is not fleas, bought different food to try, and not sure what is going on. His hair is thicker than when we got him and the adoption place said they got him because the house he was at was causing him to be stressed.

It has only been a few weeks but I'm thinking I will take him to the vet next week if I don't see improvement. Any other suggestions? Could he be bored with us not being there during work and need another cat?

Could be psychological, could be physical. Food allergies will make a cat's skin itch. We have one who will over-groom to the point of bleeding if we let her eat the wrong stuff. Your vet can help you sort it out.

Plastics.
May 3, 2012
one word
Grimey Drawer
I recently took in a cat who turned out to have FIV. Before this I'd been planning on volunteering at a wildlife rescue, but now I think that might be dangerous for her. Is there a good chance I'd bring something nasty home, do you think? Even if I weren't working with wild cats?

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
I have a ragdoll at home which is epileptic.
Without any treatment he used to do a crisis per week. We used to give him Phenoleptil to stop it.
The drug is actually out-of-order from the laboraty, so they give us instead a drug called crisax (I don't know the name of it outside France). It also contains Phenobarbital like Phenoleptil, but they is a new chemical Potassium bromide.

I've read on few forums that Potassium bromide can cause respiratory disorder. Have you experienced it with cats ?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Drythe posted:

Unlike people, anesthesia is necessary in these cases to place the catheter. As it is a blockage you are working against, putting the catheter in can be tough. You need to clear the obstruction, but using fluids through the catheter as you are placing it is potentially forcing more fluids into a situation where you are trying desperately to decrease amount of fluid in the bladder. At the same time, common electrolyte disturbances make anesthesia riskier.

I can actually see a $3000 estimate for a worst-case scenario obstructed cat at an ER clinic. I imagine they were prepping for overnight ICU/EKG monitoring and regular potassium checks/medications given to lower potassium over the following 24 hours. 3-5 bloodwork runs to monitor kidney levels over the next couple days. Abdominal rads, urinalysis, medications for the obstruction...

At my old clinic it was about $600-900 for an un-complicated cat obstruction, and we were god damned cheap in comparison to everywhere else I worked/volunteered at.

Plastics. posted:

I recently took in a cat who turned out to have FIV. Before this I'd been planning on volunteering at a wildlife rescue, but now I think that might be dangerous for her. Is there a good chance I'd bring something nasty home, do you think? Even if I weren't working with wild cats?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Luminaz posted:

I have a ragdoll at home which is epileptic.
Without any treatment he used to do a crisis per week. We used to give him Phenoleptil to stop it.
The drug is actually out-of-order from the laboraty, so they give us instead a drug called crisax (I don't know the name of it outside France). It also contains Phenobarbital like Phenoleptil, but they is a new chemical Potassium bromide.

I've read on few forums that Potassium bromide can cause respiratory disorder. Have you experienced it with cats ?

Yeah, KBr can cause respiratory disease in cats. They usually start off with a cough, can sometimes get bad - can take a week or more to develop. if that happens, they need to be taken off the KBr and started on a new seizure med. When you say laboratory gave you a different drug, do you mean the prescribing veterinarian changed it, or do you mean a pharmacy/drug dispensary changed it? If your vet changed it, then okay. However sometimes pharmacies will switch meds and do harm (more common in vet patients than in human patients) so if the pharmacy changed it and your vet was not the one making that decidion, you need to talk to your vet.

Heck, if your vet was the one prescribing it and you are concerned about side affects, give them a call and let them know your concerns. Maybe that's the only drug available in your area, maybe they didn't realize the adverse effects because they don't use it often.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, KBr can cause respiratory disease in cats. They usually start off with a cough, can sometimes get bad - can take a week or more to develop. if that happens, they need to be taken off the KBr and started on a new seizure med. When you say laboratory gave you a different drug, do you mean the prescribing veterinarian changed it, or do you mean a pharmacy/drug dispensary changed it? If your vet changed it, then okay. However sometimes pharmacies will switch meds and do harm (more common in vet patients than in human patients) so if the pharmacy changed it and your vet was not the one making that decidion, you need to talk to your vet.

Heck, if your vet was the one prescribing it and you are concerned about side affects, give them a call and let them know your concerns. Maybe that's the only drug available in your area, maybe they didn't realize the adverse effects because they don't use it often.

In fact it's my Vet, when she tried to order Phenobarbital the laboraty answer that it's out or order for 10 weeks at least.
The vet said that in case of trouble she can ask to use the human drug which is only Phenobarbital but which another packaging.
Thanks for your answer

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Do you folks have any tips about travelling with a cat? I'm moving across the country soon and my girlfriend is making a trip out here beforehand to (among other things) take my cat to my new home. She'll by flying southwest with some 'comfort animal' paperwork, meaning he gets to sit in a carrier on her lap/under the seat. So she'll be fine, but what about my little buddy? I figure that a few hour flight is better than driving with him for 15 hours in a carrier.

Am I about to practice animal cruelty?

Bonus picture of Oscar taking a quasi-nap on his comfy chair

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Suggestions for dealing with a cat being bratty? In the middle of the night, one of our cats really likes shoving its paws under the bedroom door repeatedly, usually pushing whatever small toy they can find into the room until it's out of their grasp (this includes bottle caps, scraps of paper, actual toys, and on one occasion a Nintendo DS). I've tried putting a towel down in front of the door but the cats either reach in and pull it out or just move it with their teeth if I put it on the outside of the door. This honestly feels silly to complain about but they've been waking up our roommate (who works nights) so I'd like to try and get them to stop doing that.

Also, they have food and water whenever they do it. I think they've just decided it's the funnest game to play when people are sleeping.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Dragyn posted:

Kevin is about 2 years old and is down to about 4.5 pounds now.

She was having episodes of sneezing and wheezing about a month ago, so I took her to the vet. He suspected a viral infection and sent us home with an antibiotic in case there was an underlying bacterial infection, which unfortunately didn't do much.

A week later her condition had worsened and she was very lethargic, so we went back to the vet. He ordered a CBC, which he expected to return with a low WBC, due to infection, or something else related to a possible allergy problem. It came back very grave; critically low hematocrit and RBC, high WBC. The vet suspected some sort of anemia, particularly an Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. He prescribed prednisone to suppress her immune system on instructions to give 1x5mg twice daily.

Her condition did improve slightly, so the next week we bypassed the CBC and cut her down to 1x daily prednisone (at the doctor's suggestion).

Two weeks later, her condition was worsening again and CBC confirmed it, so we returned to 2x daily.

We went back last week for a follow-up CBC, which showed some improvement. The vet suggested we stay the course and try to put some weight back on her. She does eat what is offered, which is good. We've been giving her Friskies wet food with a nutritional supplement mixed in a couple times a day, along with their always available dry food (Felidae grain-free). She hasn't gained anything noticeable yet.

Also, the drat cat is still sneezing. I'm nearing the end of my rope with this.

So here are the questions:

1. Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of illness? Reading online points to a possible blood parasite, which I need to discuss with the vet, as she has not had diagnostics to check for that yet.

2. Is there a preferred wet food for getting some meat on this cat. It's pathetic how light she is and petting her feel like a skeleton with fur draped over it.

3. Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should be asking or doing?

This didn't get any responses, but I feel that I need to report here that Kevin passed away shortly after midnight on Tuesday.

She had become increasingly weak, even after syringe feeding her nutritional supplements in addition to her normal food. On Monday evening when we got home around 10:00 she could barely walk and was shivering slightly. We brought her into the emergency vet to make a determination.

She was examined, and based on the past diagnosis and testing the vet could only suggest further searching into the root of the anemia, but advised that in her present condition, we were unlikely to find a treatable diagnosis. We made the determination to euthanize her instead of putting her through a barrage of tests, which she would be unlikely to survive after anyway.

Sorry to bring the thread down, but I just wanted to update. Appreciate your animal family, you never know when they'll suddenly be gone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Do you folks have any tips about travelling with a cat? I'm moving across the country soon and my girlfriend is making a trip out here beforehand to (among other things) take my cat to my new home. She'll by flying southwest with some 'comfort animal' paperwork, meaning he gets to sit in a carrier on her lap/under the seat. So she'll be fine, but what about my little buddy? I figure that a few hour flight is better than driving with him for 15 hours in a carrier.

Am I about to practice animal cruelty?

Bonus picture of Oscar taking a quasi-nap on his comfy chair

He'll be fine. Your vet can provide you with cat sedatives to reduce the chances of a freakout mid-flight, but it isn't always necessary.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dragyn posted:

Sorry to bring the thread down, but I just wanted to update. Appreciate your animal family, you never know when they'll suddenly be gone.
Sorry to hear about Kevin - she looked like a lovely cat. How did a tortoiseshell end up being called Kevin though?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Sorry to hear about Kevin - she looked like a lovely cat. How did a tortoiseshell end up being called Kevin though?

\/\/ To solicit exactly this response. \/\/ (My fiancee's idea) I think maybe 3 people picked it up without prompting in the year and a half or so that we had her.

That's from "Up" for those who may be unfamiliar.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 1, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
My cat is pooping a lot of small poops, dragging his butt along the ground afterward and leaving poo poo skidmarks, and violently licking his rear end and the area above his tail. Is this worms or something?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dragyn posted:

I didn't respond because I had nothing of any value to add. I'm sorry for your loss. :smith:

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

coronaball posted:

My cat is pooping a lot of small poops, dragging his butt along the ground afterward and leaving poo poo skidmarks, and violently licking his rear end and the area above his tail. Is this worms or something?

Could be, have you seen any worm segments? Could also be constipated and his butthole is hurting. Are the small poops of a regular softness?

Deteriorata posted:

I didn't respond because I had nothing of any value to add. I'm sorry for your loss. :smith:

Yeah, that came across wrong, I'm not cross with anyone for not responding to my post or anything. Wasn't expecting a miracle here.

Thanks for the condolences though. Her 'brother' is helping to fill the void by being a quasi-lap cat now.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Dragyn posted:

Could be, have you seen any worm segments? Could also be constipated and his butthole is hurting. Are the small poops of a regular softness?

I haven't seen any worm segments but I haven't been looking either. He's been lethargic for a few days too. Anyway, I'll take him to the vet this afternoon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Found this little bastard in my backyard.

Was pretty timid but with time and some smoked turkey I got him/her to come close was able to touch and pick up the dirty little stinker.
Asleep in a bin with an old pillow and sheet right now, gonna head out to pick up supplies like flea collar and Blue Buffalo wilderness kitten food. Heard that was a good brand and found out the tractor supply co. has that in stock :v:

obnoxious
Aug 11, 2005

booty butt
booty butt
cheeks

Kitten get! This is August! He's a ragdoll.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Hardwood Floor posted:

Suggestions for dealing with a cat being bratty? In the middle of the night, one of our cats really likes shoving its paws under the bedroom door repeatedly, usually pushing whatever small toy they can find into the room until it's out of their grasp (this includes bottle caps, scraps of paper, actual toys, and on one occasion a Nintendo DS). I've tried putting a towel down in front of the door but the cats either reach in and pull it out or just move it with their teeth if I put it on the outside of the door. This honestly feels silly to complain about but they've been waking up our roommate (who works nights) so I'd like to try and get them to stop doing that.

Also, they have food and water whenever they do it. I think they've just decided it's the funnest game to play when people are sleeping.

You can buy a door sweep at places like Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal Mart. That should at least prevent them from pushing stuff under the door. That doesn't mean they won't still try to bug you, but it should at least close the gap enough (unless you have a huge gap). The other option is to try playing with them before bed so that they're tired enough to relax/sleep themselves instead of being wide awake trying to play (with or without you) through the door.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
What does it mean when a cat sighs

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

My cat sighs when he has been purring and is just about to fall asleep, it is cute as gently caress.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Dragyn posted:

This didn't get any responses, but I feel that I need to report here that Kevin passed away shortly after midnight on Tuesday.

She had become increasingly weak, even after syringe feeding her nutritional supplements in addition to her normal food. On Monday evening when we got home around 10:00 she could barely walk and was shivering slightly. We brought her into the emergency vet to make a determination.

She was examined, and based on the past diagnosis and testing the vet could only suggest further searching into the root of the anemia, but advised that in her present condition, we were unlikely to find a treatable diagnosis. We made the determination to euthanize her instead of putting her through a barrage of tests, which she would be unlikely to survive after anyway.

Sorry for your loss. :( Kevin looked like a beautiful cat and a wonderful companion.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Your cat is disappointed in you as a person.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

duckfarts posted:

Your cat is disappointed in you as a person.

I thought it meant she could be bored or something but could be that too...

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Oh here is my cat by the way

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Oh here is my cat by the way

This only proves my answer. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
She's a very nice cat, she just made a face as a kitten and it got stuck like that.