Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

What/where is this ring? I haven't heard of it.

Shaded Woods (the super bright woods) at the Shaded Ruins bonfire. Hug the wall to the right as soon as you get in and it'll be on a body. Requires you to adjust your equipment a bit probably because it also adds 10 to equip load. Breaks after 5 hits to the back so you'll want to also use a Bracing Knuckle ring to offset it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Domattee posted:

Ascetics don't affect multiplayer at all, other than that you can summon large white phantoms again if a boss respawns.

I was unable to enter white mist when a the host used Ascetics to fight Smelter Demon a second time before I had beaten it the first. The other summon and myself were both disconnected, when the host entered the mist.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cat doter posted:

Can someone that knows how to beat this loving ancient dragon help me out? I can't seem to get him to repeat his pattern so I'll get in a bad spot and he'll one shot me. Dude's a oval office.

Don't lock on.
Keep the camera pointing toward his head.
Get between his back legs.
Double tap one of his feet.
Wait for him to do something.

If it is a foot stop, just go to the other foot and double tap.
If he rears up on his back legs, run out from under him to his side; he will breath fire between his legs. Don't attack.
If he starts to take off you can get the camera looking around, you just want to get toward his tail and follow it as he spins around in the air.

That's about it. Just take it slow and steady. The real trick is just watching his head so you can get the tells, then getting the camera to look at his tail when he is about to take off so you can sprint along with it. It may take a couple shots to identify what is what, but those three attacks all have distinct tells, but you will only notice them while looking at his head.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Calidus posted:

I was unable to enter white mist when a the host used Ascetics to fight Smelter Demon a second time before I had beaten it the first. The other summon and myself were both disconnected, when the host entered the mist.

No, what happened is the boss was not there at all. If the area had been hit with an acetic you would be allowed in. Host was probably trying to get help for the OTHER boss that pops up in there.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Calidus posted:

They ascetic'd the wrong fire and Smelter did not respawn.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Artificer posted:

Okay, uh, I didn't summon Pate for the Last Giant fight. Does that mean I'm screwed out of the stuff from his storyline? Any way to get it without going to NG+? (Pate spoilers)

Edit: Even if I don't plan on really using it, I like collecting items.

Kill him and he'll drop his weapons, Melentia will sell the rest. Don't worry, you'll get a story-based opportunity to do so.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Artificer posted:

Okay, uh, I didn't summon Pate for the Last Giant fight. Does that mean I'm screwed out of the stuff from his storyline? Any way to get it without going to NG+? (Pate spoilers)

Edit: Even if I don't plan on really using it, I like collecting items.

I don't think so. I didn't summon him for anything, just exhausted his dialogue everywhere I found him and I finished his storyline no problem (including getting his stuff).

You'll find him in Earthen Peak if you exhausted his dialogue in FoFG. Talk to him then open a chest and a door nearby and talk to him again. For his storyline you also need to release a dude in Huntsman's Copse and then talk to that guy again in Shaded Woods.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 30, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
After loving around with respeccing for a while, there's a few general pointers that I would give to anyone playing the game.

First: Do not invest in attack stats (str, dex, int, fth) any more than you absolutely, totally need to. The difference between 12 and 99 in Int is like 30-50 damage on your basic Soul Arrow. That's less than 30 percent. Don't even loving bother

Second: Defensive stats are loving bonkers. With 99 vit, you have over 2k health. Coupled with other stats like vig, end and adp you become able to facetank poo poo to an absolutely absurd degree. I respecced all my stuff to min and put any leftovers into vig and end and have been breezing through stuff ever since. Pumping defensive stats is straight-up how you win at this game.

Third: Your damage output scales 95% with how upgraded your equipment is, including staves and chimes. Collect all the titanite you can and put everything available into your primary weapon or casting item. It'll do miles more for your damage output than stats could ever hope to. With 60/60 int/faith I do a good 400 damage with Dark Bead and Great Heavy Soul Arrow. It's silly.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

Related problem: after the gate shut, I teleported home because I was out of spells and wanted to rest up before giving it a try.. But it seems the gate is shut forever now. Any way to reset the quest/gate? Found a spot where you could jump down into the courtyard behind the shut gate but it seems high enough up that I'd die from falling damage for sure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I got my dual hooks. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that they are god awful. They do barely any damage until the target bleeds, making them use against anything that is immune to bleed. However, they also don't even rack up the bleed effect fast! Its like using daggers that take 20 hits to inflict bleed with. What a disappointment. Guess I'll go back to dual fists.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sadus posted:

Related problem: after the gate shut, I teleported home because I was out of spells and wanted to rest up before giving it a try.. But it seems the gate is shut forever now. Any way to reset the quest/gate? Found a spot where you could jump down into the courtyard behind the shut gate but it seems high enough up that I'd die from falling damage for sure.

As far as I know you can't reset the gate. But from what I understand you just have to kill the stuff behind it and survive, so you could probably just kill everything and teleport out. Then come back and talk to Pate. If that would work, it's been a while since I did that area with enemies in it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kimmalah posted:

I don't think so. I didn't summon him for anything, just exhausted his dialogue everywhere I found him and I finished his storyline no problem (including getting his stuff).

You'll find him in Earthen Peak if you exhausted his dialogue in FoFG. Talk to him then open a chest and a door nearby and talk to him again. For his storyline you also need to release a dude in Huntsman's Copse and then talk to that guy again in Shaded Woods.

For the other guy, I have already released him, but I have not yet talked to him in Shaded Woods. Can I talk to Pate in Earthen Peak first before talking to the guy in Shaded Woods or would that break the storyline quest?

Edit: As for the gated trap, I'm pretty sure I exhausted his dialogue in FoFG before I went into the trap, and then promptly died. When I went back I think he was gone. I'm still on the right track, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Piell posted:

Yes and no, respectively. The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, and slabs aren't quite as rare as they were in DS1, so if you like the moveset then take it to +10. Infusions scale based on Int and/or Faith now, so if you aren't one of those builds then go non-infused all the way.

Thanks. Is it still the case that you can't put enchantements on infused weapons?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Kimmalah posted:

There's a guy who will buy your junk in exchange for souls. He moves around the world as you talk to him/progress, starting out in a place called No Man's Wharf. In the meantime if your inventory is getting cluttered just shove stuff into the item box at any bonfire.

Also am I like the only one in existence who didn't kill the Ancient Dragon? He's just chilling out on his dragon perch and you talk to him, done.

I didn't kill him. My usual rule with Dark Souls is that if they don't try to kill me, I won't try to kill them, so once I got the misty key off him I tipped my hat and left.

If you're really fiending for the fifth giant soul you can use a bonfire aesthetic in the first Black Gulch bonfire and go kill the two giant guards under the Darkness covenant portal.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

sadus posted:

Assuming you're talking about the first time you meet Pate, there's another way down, through a building. If you were looking down into that courtyard then you were probably in the right area

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Artificer posted:

For the other guy, I have already released him, but I have not yet talked to him in Shaded Woods. Can I talk to Pate in Earthen Peak first before talking to the guy in Shaded Woods or would that break the storyline quest?

Edit: As for the gated trap, I'm pretty sure I exhausted his dialogue in FoFG before I went into the trap, and then promptly died. When I went back I think he was gone. I'm still on the right track, right?

Doesn't matter. Just so long as you release guy number 2, and exhaust their dialogs at all points along the way. You don't even need to summon Pate for Last Giant. Just do Pate's little 'puzzle' at each point (exhausting dialog afterward). The other guy only has dialog.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Artificer posted:

I don't think it matters, but I'm not 100% sure. For me, I talked to Pate in Forest of Fallen Giants, then Creighton in the the Copse, Pate in Earthen Peak, Creighton in Shaded Woods. Then Pate in Earthen Peak again because I screwed up and didn't go back to talk to him after opening the chest/door. :haw: If you just want his armor set, he gave it to me in Earthen Peak. But there's more to the story in a later area which will only happen if you exhaust everyone's dialogue.

Azzents posted:

I didn't kill him. My usual rule with Dark Souls is that if they don't try to kill me, I won't try to kill them, so once I got the misty key off him I tipped my hat and left.

If you're really fiending for the fifth giant soul you can use a bonfire aesthetic in the first Black Gulch bonfire and go kill the two giant guards under the Darkness covenant portal.

If you're looking for giant souls, in addition to the Black Gulch thing, the ashen mist heart from the Ancient Dragon basically gives you a great source of them by farming the memories. Full of giant souls.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 30, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, having a Raw Gyrm Hammer +10 certainly is something. :stare:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks. Is it still the case that you can't put enchantements on infused weapons?
You can not use resins, but you CAN use element spells on infused weapons, and it is HIGHLY recommended that you do so. Where a resin/element buff otherwise only adds about 50 of the respective element damage, if the weapon already has lightning damage, for example, then Sunlight Blade will add 50 to that, then increase the lot of it by 1.3x. CMW and Flame Weapon are the same. Magic Weapon and Great Magic Weapon at 10 and 20% bonuses. Again, resins just will not work on anything but pure physical damage weapons (this also excludes weapons with bleed/poison, usually).

The result is the "best" way to get "the best damage" is only investing enough stats to equip the weapon you want, infusing it, and then using one of the spell weapon buffs accordingly. Flame weapon in particular, since it requires no stat investment, but you could just as soon spice down CWM or Sunlight Blade. It is stupid.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

What infusion is best for a Throne Watcher Greatsword, I heard there was some weirdness with using Faintstone on it?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Man, when you guys said I could revive Straid for 14k souls I did not realize you can only "revive" him, that is you need to pony up those 14k every time you want to talk to his ghost that appears from a gravestone :mad:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Can we just put in the OP; "New Players pick Warrior".

My life is so much better than as a swordsman early on with the different stats, and some guidance would have been nice for somebody new to the souls games.

Dark Souls II: The game where everything's made up and the classes don't matter.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

So in the Gutter, did anyone else find the giant bug in the cave?

Scared the crap out of me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lordfrikk posted:

Man, when you guys said I could revive Straid for 14k souls I did not realize you can only "revive" him, that is you need to pony up those 14k every time you want to talk to his ghost that appears from a gravestone :mad:
Maybe you shouldn't kill him next time. :colbert:

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's a peaceful healing bug. :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ColHannibal posted:

Can we just put in the OP; "New Players pick Warrior".
Make that Knight, because holy poo poo is extra Vit ever more useful than about anything else.

Laughing Zealot posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. It's just there. It doesn't even fight back or anything.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Laughing Zealot posted:

I did and killed it before I found out it was friendly/helpful. :(

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. It's just there. It doesn't even fight back or anything.

It cures poison with its mist-stuff.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wow it's totally fair to one-shot the player with random meteors! Thanks From! (memory of jeigh)

I feel I'm getting close to the end of the game and none of it has been fun. It's just bullshit fights. The Elder Dragon fight is worse than plucking away at the dragons in Demon Souls.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Alright, I'm trying to do a pure faith/str build because I thought I heard people mention it loving rocked later on. My difficulty is in trying to get to "later on", as it seems extremely weak right now. All the miracles seem fairly useless early on - any tips?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It's not particularly helpful, its gas breaks your poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wow it's totally fair to one-shot the player with random meteors! Thanks From! (memory of jeigh)

I feel I'm getting close to the end of the game and none of it has been fun. It's just bullshit fights. The Elder Dragon fight is worse than plucking away at the dragons in Demon Souls.

The dragon fight is completely optional though? He's not hostile unless you attack him.

As for the memories, it's tough but there are safe places to stand while the fireballs are coming down.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Alright, I'm trying to do a pure faith/str build because I thought I heard people mention it loving rocked later on. My difficulty is in trying to get to "later on", as it seems extremely weak right now. All the miracles seem fairly useless early on - any tips?
Upgrade your chime. Seriously, do it. Casting items matter so much more than stats do.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man, poison arrows are just so so good relative to their cost. I got sick of those mace wielding fucks in the dragon shrine that never have an opening and just bought my way through the area with a few hundred souls worth of poison arrows.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh my God those fire lizards in the Forest of the Giants do not gently caress around. I think I'm near the end of the game and I can barely scratch them and they completely kick my rear end.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

What infusion is best for a Throne Watcher Greatsword, I heard there was some weirdness with using Faintstone on it?

Magic. There's just some strangeness where using Poison, Bleed, or Lightning make it appear to set the magic scaling to S, but the effective scaling is lower and naturally reduces the base magic damage as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The meteors land in two places at timed intervals.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Oh my God those fire lizards in the Forest of the Giants do not gently caress around. I think I'm near the end of the game and I can barely scratch them and they completely kick my rear end.

Try poison :unsmigghh:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The smelter demon armor would bring a tear to the people who designed Kill La Kill. What glorious naked abdomen surrounded by sheer :black101: armour.

also it's total bullshit how much you have to keep upgrading Vitality to keep up with the armor and weapons you get.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When do you start finding Soul Vessels?

On the way to a boss in Huntsman's Copse, I fought an NPC invader, who died by falling off a cliff. Did I miss out on some items?

Do magic builds of the various stripes actually use melee weapons at all?

With respecs in the game is there much point to making a new character?

Does anything unlock via summoning NPCs, like questlines or items? I haven't summoned anyone at all for bosses, only the odd shade I happen to see on the way.

Is progress within a Covenant preserved if I abandon that covenant and come back, or is it penalized like in DaS1?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Yodzilla posted:

Like most of life's problems, this one can also be resolved with poison arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

The dragon fight is completely optional though? He's not hostile unless you attack him.

As for the memories, it's tough but there are safe places to stand while the fireballs are coming down.

So the fight being optional excuses it being horribly boring? Anyhow, I just noticed the pattern. The boss was surprisingly easy. I probably need to upgrade my vigor.