Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kirkjames posted:

the best! she is a master of her craft and it's the type of record that you can tell she spent a lot of time getting the most out of her sounds and ambience without anything dragging on too long. I just don't have the time for 2 LPs of hellish soundscapes these days. I wish I would have grabbed the special edition LP with the cassette of extra material when it was first released but I slept on it and now they're like $75.

Hell yes same here. I remember that special edition coming out and I didn't realize there was such a demand for it. Really wish I'd leapt on that when I had the chance. I really just want more of what we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kirkjames posted:

the best! she is a master of her craft and it's the type of record that you can tell she spent a lot of time getting the most out of her sounds and ambience without anything dragging on too long. I just don't have the time for 2 LPs of hellish soundscapes these days.

Yeah what I liked about her set was it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Refreshing. Especially since afterwards Cut Hands played for loving ever and it was the woooooorrrrrrsssssst

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah what I liked about her set was it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Refreshing.

This is a wonderfully positive way of looking at it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is a wonderfully positive way of looking at it.

In an ideal world no live set would be longer than 15 minutes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just to put in my bitchy .02 I thought Pharmakon was decent but absolutely generic power electronics. Cut Hands was goofy and boring but that's still William Bennett from Whitehouse, one of the creators of the genre. I'd take his nipple-tweaking racist techno over her derivative routine anyday.

I haven't heard any Pharmakon recordings though, and will happily give it a listen sometime. I'm just going by the show.

e-

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In an ideal world no live set would be longer than 15 minutes.

I mostly agree. Leave em wanting more.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 30, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

A McDonald's hamburger is a great example of the fast food industry - it's safe (in the sense of it's not challenging. Actual safety is debatable), it's predictable, and it's the same every time with slight variation. It does its job very very well, and there's something admirable about that in the context of the industry.

But the idea, to me, of sitting down in a nicely appointed dining room, lights low, to savor an expensive limited edition McDonald's hamburger is weird to me. It's especially weird to think of someone saying they don't care about the fancy hamburger wrapper, it's that meat that they really want to dig into. Savoring a schlocky John Williams re-tread is just as weird (to me). I don't hate John Williams, he does his job perfectly and makes a ton of money for himself and his corporate benefactors. And I think he's had some actual pretty good compositions over the years, Schindler's List comes to mind. But divorcing his music from the movie and putting it in some artificially scarce format for an absurd amount of money raises my eyebrows.

Someone could easily, in almost any market, buy 15-50 great sounding used classical LPs for the cost of one Jurassic Park record. But collecting things is weird and illogical, I get that too, so whatever. I always grab those 60's Nonesuch records with the day-glo covers when I see them, usually regardless of condition or quality (I've passed on some super beaters). Some of the recordings are really pedestrian or kinda low-fi (which isn't really what you're going for when you listen to classical music). But I think the covers are neat and the history of the label is neat, and they're like $.50 or $1 each.

What's it like being this far up your own rear end?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
But wait, aren't the Jurassic Park albums being pressed by Mondo?
For $40 each?

I think I'll pass.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

It's pretty cool.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

whats it like throwing stones in your glass house?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

stay depressed posted:

whats it like throwing stones in your glass house?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Hnnngg.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've never said anything anywhere near as pretentious as that bullshit he said about John Williams.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

CPL593H posted:

I've never said anything anywhere near as pretentious as that bullshit he said about John Williams.

Come on y'all. If you think all of John Williams' scores sound the same, you haven't listened to very many of them. The end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DammitJanet posted:

Come on y'all. If you think all of John Williams' scores sound the same, you haven't listened to very many of them. The end.

Well and "he always makes safe choices" and using a tired metaphor about McDonalds is pretty hollow criticism. It doesn't really say anything about why he doesn't like the scores other than "They're not that good!".

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Talking about records in the same thread, each day with same people can have such drastically differing results.

That's, that's chaos theory.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Got you all covered.

Who wouldn't want such a beautiful item. A picture disk too, the thread's vinyl of choice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

shmee posted:

Got you all covered.

Who wouldn't want such a beautiful item. A picture disk too, the thread's vinyl of choice.

No joke, if I saw this in a store I'd buy the poo poo out of it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

I'd be beat juggling the gently caress out of that bitch on the ones n twos. If I had more than remedial dj skills that is.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CPL593H posted:

While you're at it pick up

and listen to a very weird part of my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPaAWPFywUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK72rlJVUvI

http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-The-Pac-Man-Album/release/3397341

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MisterOblivious posted:

and listen to a very weird part of my childhood.

I'm jealous! I don't remember that one at all. I had Pac-Man Fever which is now stuck in my head. My favorite song title from that was Ode to a Centipede.

not my picture:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This is almost Avant-garde, I like it and need the record now.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
If you can find the one with the rat and the haunted castle on it, pick it up. It's the closest thing I've found to media representing what a bad trip feels like.

Edit: this one -

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Saw this last weekend at a shop in town for cheap. Slept on it though. What's the music like?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Reminds me I need to get a copy of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEDX-2M7Qk

Affordable too, which is nice. Less so if you want the yellow vinyl which of course I do.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DammitJanet posted:

Saw this last weekend at a shop in town for cheap. Slept on it though. What's the music like?

There's a fairly straight forward synth pop number on side 2 but I don't want to try and explain the rest of the album. Here's a review.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jaythemadman2/videos

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DammitJanet posted:

I got a rip of this from (I think) Oink, way back in the day. I think the most concise way to describe it is like... the music sounds the way being drunk feels

It is a surreal experience and not one which I would like to repeat.

e: Actually I might've gotten it from that iMockery article

Sockser fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 1, 2014

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

shmee posted:

Got you all covered.

Were these the happy birthday from McDonalds records that had YOUR NAME!!! ungracefully dropped into the gap?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Man, those sound really crisp. But not in a way you'd want.

Music is cool though.

your imagination is taking you.... to the skyyyyyyyy

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

DammitJanet posted:

Yea because I've seen Jurassic Park, E.T. and, like, loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles maybe once each as a kid like a normal person.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ras Het posted:

Yea because I've seen Jurassic Park, E.T. and, like, loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles maybe once each as a kid like a normal person.

Being a chronically unfunny person myself, I don't know if you're making a joke or what but John Williams is incredibly prolific and I seriously doubt anyone would struggle to name more than two of his works.

Anyone remotely interested in film has probably heard at least a dozen of these.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I definitely recognize the silliness of nerding out over collecting records and poo poo but there is some borderline autism going on in this thread over soundtracks

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Being a chronically unfunny person myself, I don't know if you're making a joke or what but John Williams is incredibly prolific and I seriously doubt anyone would struggle to name more than two of his works.

Anyone remotely interested in film has probably heard at least a dozen of these.

Yeah, and I reckon it speaks for the blandness of his scores (not that it isn't self-evident considering how bland all of these films are) that the only one that I can even remotely remember is the Star Wars theme.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i'll be dead in the cold cold ground before i ever let go of my porky's soundtrack. i was so happy to see that they got the art right and everything. a jewel in my collection.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Porky's 3 had a way better soundtrack IMO.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ras Het posted:

Yeah, and I reckon it speaks for the blandness of his scores (not that it isn't self-evident considering how bland all of these films are) that the only one that I can even remotely remember is the Star Wars theme.

I'd argue that there's far more to composing a film score than coming up with an easily identifiable theme but Jaws? Superman? Indiana Jones? Those don't spring to mind as iconic themes?

What other composer has more iconic and easily identifiable themes than John Williams?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It isn't sludge metal or ultra-obscure punk though, so what's the point?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'd argue that there's far more to composing a film score than coming up with an easily identifiable theme but Jaws? Superman? Indiana Jones? Those don't spring to mind as iconic themes?

What other composer has more iconic and easily identifiable themes than John Williams?

You could have swapped scores for Indiana Jones and Superman and nobody would have known or cared.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It isn't sludge metal or ultra-obscure punk though, so what's the point?

The one true answer.

But for real, I'd love to get some youtube links for the really obscure poo poo.
I will listen to your music.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

You could have swapped scores for Indiana Jones and Superman and nobody would have known or cared.

I always thought Superman was bargain-basement Star Wars.

I guess that just proves the point.

(I mean, I like some of his stuff, but no, he really does hit some of the same beats repeatedly, and not in a cool Ramonesy kind of way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Uhh, no? Look, don't try to bring some sort of vague objectivity into this, the scores to films like that are childhood artifacts, like NOFX or chiptunes. That doesn't mean that they're Strictly Bad Music, but you shouldn't be aghast if someone doesn't give a gently caress about Score to Superhero Film CXVII.

quote:

I don't know, loving Beethoven?