Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
There's also an urban/rural divide. You can't have dogs at all in some buildings in cities, but cats are usually ok. And you usually have multiple cats. I'm absolutely a dog person, but living in Chicago means my choices are cats or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Emanuel Collective posted:

I'm absolutely a dog person, but living in Chicago means my choices are cats or bust
Welp, that sucks. Does your housing unit forbid you to keep pets at home?

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Baloogan posted:

politically-loaded dogs

This map shows WV touching the ocean.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tommah posted:

The map isn't really worried about accuracy, check out Mississippi. They were more concerned with the gold standard :evil:.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tommah posted:

That's to subtly drive home the idea that WV is literally a dog's anus.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Count Roland posted:

Here is a BBC map about Taliban areas, and unlike most of these maps it covers both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

They seem to have almost equal territory on either side of the border. This is because Taliban roughly equals the Pashtun people in many cases; here's a map of their distribution from wikipedia:

The border is called the Durand Line, and was drawn in the late 19th century largely as part of Great Game politics between the British and Russian Empires. Russia was expanding southwards, Britian wanted to protect India, so Afghanistan was drawn up as a sort of buffer state. Pakistan inherited the border, and Afghanistan still doesn't recognize it.

The border remained utterly porous, even during the wars of the 80s, 90s and 00s when various military forces sought to control access to the border. Since its basically the same people living on either side, people who for centuries and longer have had little respect for outside rulers, it seems set to remain a disputed place for a long time.

A USAF Major who spoke to one of my Strategic Studies class said he figured the only chance to close that border would have been to saturate, completely and utterly saturate, the line with landmines, and even that probably wouldn't work because of all the tunnels.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The fact that the ISI seems content to use the Taliban as a tool of their influence in Afghanistan doesn't help either.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The fact that the ISI seems content to use the Taliban as a tool of their influence in Afghanistan doesn't help either.

Yes. And it isn't just convienience here, the ISI were instrumental in the creation of the Taliban and their successful conquest of the country during the chaos of the 90s. They helped the Taliban at the highest levels and provided them with ammo and trucks and supplies and more. Despite the Taliban being a destructive force inside Pakistan as well, the ISI will probably keep backing the Taliban as a hedge against Indian influence.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Are there maps of this nature for time periods other than the first 15 years of the 20th century?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Patter Song posted:

Are there maps of this nature for time periods other than the first 15 years of the 20th century?

Now that you mention it, the run-up to WWI seems to have been one of the most mapped. Not only are there a billion period maps, but now and then we get a new one when an author/illustrator uses the setting... like that one Keith Thompson map from "Leviathan".

It's getting a little dull, honestly.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Count Roland posted:

Yes. And it isn't just convienience here, the ISI were instrumental in the creation of the Taliban and their successful conquest of the country during the chaos of the 90s. They helped the Taliban at the highest levels and provided them with ammo and trucks and supplies and more. Despite the Taliban being a destructive force inside Pakistan as well, the ISI will probably keep backing the Taliban as a hedge against Indian influence.

It wasn't just the ISI, there were reports of uniformed Pakistani troops fighting alongside the Taliban back in 96 when Kabul fell. The Taliban had tried to take the city on their own a year earlier but they were easily repelled by the Northern Alliance.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TheIllestVillain posted:

It wasn't just the ISI, there were reports of uniformed Pakistani troops fighting alongside the Taliban back in 96 when Kabul fell. The Taliban had tried to take the city on their own a year earlier but they were easily repelled by the Northern Alliance.
Using this document dump on Pakistani-Taliban relations in the 90s, it appears that, at least from Document 17, that the Pakistani army avoided using regular army units because their predominantly Punjabi ancestry would be conspicuous amongst the Pashtun Taliban, although Pakistan made its border with Afghanistan very porous for Pakistani citizens looking to fight.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
But isn't the Pakistani Taliban currently trying to overthrow the Pakistani government, that's why they keep setting off all those bombs? Maan, Afghanistan/Pakistan is so complicated.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Well the ISI controls the military as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistani regulars coordinated with the Taliban from time to time.

Sucrose posted:

But isn't the Pakistani Taliban currently trying to overthrow the Pakistani government, that's why they keep setting off all those bombs? Maan, Afghanistan/Pakistan is so complicated.

Yep, they sure are, though I think the Pakistani authorities are mostly winning that fight. However, the ISI can't afford to sever ties with the Taliban, because then they'll have no influence in Afghanistan whatsoever, whilst India pours money into the area. And the military and intelligence community is loving terrified of India. It's really not all that complicated.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sucrose posted:

Afghan Taliban and Pakistani Taliban are not the same thing.

quote:

“To be honest, the Taliban commanders and groups on the ground in Afghanistan couldn’t care less what’s happening to their Pakistani brothers across the border,” said Mr. Strick van Linschoten, who has interviewed many current and former members of the Afghan Taliban.

In fact, the recent attacks of the Pakistani Taliban against Pakistan’s government, military and police, in anticipation of the army’s current campaign into the Pakistani Taliban’s base in South Waziristan, may have strained relations with the Afghan Taliban, said Richard Barrett, a former British intelligence officer who tracks Al Qaeda and the Taliban for the United Nations.

The Afghan Taliban have always had a close relationship with Pakistani intelligence agencies, Mr. Barrett said recently. “They don’t like the way that the Pakistan Taliban has been fighting the Pakistan government and causing a whole load of problems there,” he said.
Hell, it's amazing the two groups haven't fought each other to follow the general trend of chaos in the region.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 1, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They should bring back the practice of drawing countries as caricatures of people / animals. It's a lost art that seems to have died with the First World War. :(
EDIT: Content

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DrSunshine posted:

They should bring back the practice of drawing countries as caricatures of people / animals. It's a lost art that seems to have died with the First World War. :(

Probably the best map of the British Isles. Long ago when I was a kid, I had a book that described the shapes of the 50 states in terms of some fanciful imagery that approximated or "justified" their shapes (in that Just So Story vein) much like this. These days, the only one I can ever remember from that book was that Montana's western boundary was described as an old man blowing cold north air into Idaho (the Bitterroot Valley serving as the nose, of course).

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Negative Entropy posted:

Afghan Taliban and Pakistani Taliban are not the same thing.

Hell, it's amazing the two groups haven't fought each other to follow the general trend of chaos in the region.

Thanks, that does really clear it up for me. So, if I'm understanding right, the Pakistani Taliban are a more recent ideological outgrowth of the Afghani Taliban, but who consider the Pakistani government not Islamic enough, and are trying to overthrow it rather than being supported by it, and this has caused a break in ties between them and the Afghani Taliban. Right?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Sucrose posted:

Thanks, that does really clear it up for me. So, if I'm understanding right, the Pakistani Taliban are a more recent ideological outgrowth of the Afghani Taliban, but who consider the Pakistani government not Islamic enough, and are trying to overthrow it rather than being supported by it, and this has caused a break in ties between them and the Afghani Taliban. Right?
Yes. The Afghan Taliban focus on their own nation and the Pakistani Taliban focus on theirs.
The Pakistani/Afghan Taliban split reflects the nationalist, decentralized nature of most Islamic extremism that was touched upon in the Power of Nightmares. Islamic extremism very rarely has a grandiose, multi-national element to it like al-Qaeda and is usually more decentralized. Even al-Qaeda is becoming more nationalist in scope.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 1, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Haha, thanks, that's the first of these that actually made me :lol:.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Negative Entropy posted:

Yes. The Afghan Taliban focus on their own nation and the Pakistani Taliban focus on theirs.
The Pakistani/Afghan Taliban split reflects the nationalist, decentralized nature of most Islamic extremism that was touched upon in the Power of Nightmares. Islamic extremism very rarely has a grandiose, multi-national element to it like al-Qaeda and is usually more decentralized. Even al-Qaeda is becoming more nationalist in scope.

Is there a reason why hasn't unification been more of a thing among the Taliban groups? Considering they're both entirely composed of ethnic Pashtuns, i've always wondered why they never formed some kind of Islamised "Pashtunistan" nationalist movement or at least expressed some kind of irredentist sentiment.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 1, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TheIllestVillain posted:

Is there a reason why hasn't unification been more of a thing among the Taliban groups? Considering they're both entirely composed of ethnic Pashtuns, i've always wondered why they never formed some kind of Islamised "Pashtunistan" nationalist movement or at least expressed some kind of irredentist sentiment.

If I have to guess, probably tribalism that is throwing a wrench in a broader Pashtun nationalist movement.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

If I have to guess, probably tribalism that is throwing a wrench in a broader Pashtun nationalist movement.

Yeah, at the core of Pashtun culture is their fierce independence. They've been fighting off invaders for a few thousand years, and otherwise will fight each other. The terrain plays a huge role: the whole area is highly mountainous. It is simply very difficult for a central authority to rule places that are so darn difficult to reach. There are many villages in Afghanistan (and probably Pakistan as well) that have never effectively been governed by anyone. Even if a government goes through all the effort of slogging through mountain passes to reach them, they get fought off by men who have lived in those mountains for generations.

And re: Pakistani/Afghani Taliban split, if they are so seperate then what about the porous border? Groups move across it constantly in both directions. Doesn't this imply either co-operation, or that one or the other group controls* areas on both sides of the border?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Related to that "state pride" map I posted a while back

Source

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pakled posted:

Source

Why leave Texas when you're already in the best state? :smugdog:

(I mean, minus the terrible backward poo poo, but otherwise...)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Living in Hawaii does sound pretty sweet.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Not really surprising about no one wanting to leave the relatively well-off rural states like the Dakotas, Maine, NH, Iowa, Idaho, Oregon.

You aren't in a city so life is peaceful, they generally have good public schools, you are surrounded by friends and family, and the jobless rate is low. Unless you have an inherent wanderlust those states can be a great place to live your life.

poo poo not a day goes by I don't have a small amount of regret leaving New Hampshire for Los Angeles.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not really surprising about no one wanting to leave the relatively well-off rural states like the Dakotas, Maine, NH, Iowa, Idaho, Oregon.

You aren't in a city so life is peaceful, they generally have good public schools, you are surrounded by friends and family, and the jobless rate is low. Unless you have an inherent wanderlust those states can be a great place to live your life.

Or, to put it more simply, you're the kind of megabore who never saw a reason to move to a city near an international airport, so of course you're happy to stick to loving your cousin.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Or, to put it more simply, you're the kind of megabore who never saw a reason to move to a city near an international airport, so of course you're happy to stick to loving your cousin.

Please tell us about your interesting life in the big city.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's great! I once saw a man with a camera pay two hobos to fight each other.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ras Het posted:

..... I literally just said I live in Los Angeles. What the hell are you on about?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pakled posted:

Source

So are Maryland, Connecticut and Illinois just basically tartarus?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

khwarezm posted:

So are Maryland, Connecticut and Illinois just basically tartarus?

All three are actually pretty high up the list of US states by most measures of income and quality of life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pakled posted:

Source

All anyone in Wyoming does is talk about how it sucks and how they should move. It's also full of people that look at a map and everything outside of their county reads "HERE BE DRAGONS".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I feel like Illinois has a singular problem that no one in Chicago likes the state and no one in the state likes Chicago. I don't think any other state is quite as bent that way.

Also every bit of the state that isn't in Cook County is horrible so half of them are objectively wrong here.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Pook Good Mook posted:

..... I literally just said I live in Los Angeles. What the hell are you on about?

Using the same impersonal "you" as you were in your post?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ras Het posted:

Vermont, noted cousin fuckers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

The world is full of families that have lived in their small town homes for generations without feeling a need to move, I guess they are all incestuous monsters, unlike the enlightened cosmopolitan people who think that flying from point A to point B makes them worldly.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Count Roland posted:

Yeah, at the core of Pashtun culture is their fierce independence. They've been fighting off invaders for a few thousand years, and otherwise will fight each other. The terrain plays a huge role: the whole area is highly mountainous. It is simply very difficult for a central authority to rule places that are so darn difficult to reach. There are many villages in Afghanistan (and probably Pakistan as well) that have never effectively been governed by anyone.

I read somewhere (might've been Reddit) about US Marines who showed up in an Afghan village in the invasion and the villagers thought they were Soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obliterati posted:

I read somewhere (might've been Reddit) about US Marines who showed up in an Afghan village in the invasion and the villagers thought they were Soviets.

A similar story happened in Russia with some guys in Siberia who didn't know that WW2 had happened:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...7354256/?no-ist