Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, about those lovely cars that people put on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Yes, he is the only one both approved and accepting ObamaCare within a 200 mile radius.

:ssh: Obamacare is still private healthcare, take up your issues with your insurance company.

Also, you can thank Congress for making the ACA Act as ineffective as it is...

Anyways, am I the only one who thinks the 'rusted car look' is awful?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Faked weathering is definitely terrible. But natural wear looks badass.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, just like half assed hackjob "rat rods" are awful, I have no problem with dragging an as-found car out of the woods and doing all the suspension/drivetrain/engine work to make it scary fast but leaving the body looking like hell.

It's part of the charm. Faking it is for idiots with fartcans and intentionally rusted hoods on their crummy cars.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
More like West Sob Story.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I know I am a godless heathen that likes VWs but Ill never understand the broken suspension/intentionally make the car look lovely fad. Its just the 20xx version of the 90s fartpipe/ altezza fad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I saw a drat late model base Lancer the other day with a rusted hood, with the rest of the car immaculate (and black). So garbage.

Also, now that I'm back in the automotive class I'm reminded how dumb people are with their cars fresh out of HS. Some guy is modding ruining his NA Miata with these goofy-looking, ultra-wide 18" rims. White powder coat (on a red car), super-stretched low-pro tires that fill up the wheel well, and such high offset the fender is centered over the tread.

Then there's the typical tyte S14, slammed with fake basketweaves, and rolling the fenders in class with a baseball bat (when the wheel is far to large for rolling to be effective, this thing needs to be cut and flared).

R:\/It really is Congress' fault, the original vision in the '08 campaign was full-on UK-style socialized healthcare, with the federal government as both provider and single payer. It would force medical companies to sell supplies, equipment and medicine for cheap, or else miss lose the entire ~200 million-person US market to another company who will. Makes costs extremely reasonable, doctors still get paid, and the tax burden is nowhere near as bad as paying the current cost of healthcare through taxes (what we have now because NAZI COMMUNIST DEATH PANELS OMG!)

But this is not car poo poo (all though it is terrible), so that's all I'll say about it.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 30, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phone posted:

Hey viggen, it sucks that you got hit. But please stop making poo poo up, there's no Obamacare insurance company. I don't doubt that there are awful doctors in CT, but you just posted a bunch of stdh.txt.

Thank you for not paying attention and negating everything I said just because you feel the need to be a pompous rear end.

There IS a company which handles Obamacare, it is called "Amerigroup Solutions" here in Nevada. They are the feel-good name for Welfare. They have two plans, Welfare, and ObamaCare. Nobody here who accepts Amerigroup will accept the Obamacare Amerigroup. I know because I have loving contacted every single one of them.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't feel the need to refute it with your own madeup bullshit. Just put me on ignore and go back to your Miata hugbox, k?

anonumos posted:

All of this was prevalent under the pre-ACA system, as well. You are describing the ills of the healthcare system and then pinning the entire blame on "ObamaCare". I'm sorry you're having so much trouble getting treatment, but put the blame where it belongs.

It sure sucked then, too, but I had a choice of doctor who wouldn't see me. As a matter of fact, I praised Obamacare for giving me the option of even having insurance that MUST accept me, since this is now a pre-existing condition. I'm glad all of you with your rosey shades couldn't see that, but instead decided that I was attacking the whole loving thing.

It doesn't work, but it IS a bit better for those of us who are hosed and can't afford to do anything about it. Barely. A lot of stuff won't and is not covered. Period. They'll be happy to throw vicodin at me all day, but I wasn't even approved for the doctor who shouldn't be allowed near raw meat. Nope, it's still coming out of pocket.

Captain Trips posted:

More like West Sob Story.

An original quote from the Forums' famous denzien Captain Trips. :golfclap:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

An original quote from the Forums' famous denzien Captain Trips. :golfclap:
I dunno sir or madam, your post is coming off like you've taken to much pain killers and have entered an un-inhibited grumpy phase.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Healthcare is not terrible car stuff, you shitheads.

This certainly is.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

This certainly is.

It looks like one of those WEST COAST CUSTOMZZZZ shops exploded and the truck was caught in the blast.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you put some slightly more tasteful wheels on that and fixed the loving camber (I'm sure it's on bags) it'd be pretty cool.

Or, you know, put Saints symbols all over it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Fix the grill, tear off the window stickers, change the tires and lift it back to a proper ride-height. Then I'd drive it everywhere.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

It can be if the airbags don't deploy. :haw:

Anyhow, I'm done. I'll endure a lot, but being told I am completely full of poo poo when I'm stuck living it, I won't tolerate. So, yeah.. anyhow:

Up for grabs is a Silverado that they only want $10k for. In Methville.

Just needs paint and shocks. [...] I have over a thousand in ac and $5k in lift.

That may be what you paid..

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Why can't hellaflush just go away

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Home-made slicks are all the rage here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No wonder a light rain turns Californian highways into a death orgy. I can't believe those even have grip on slightly rough tarmac.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No wonder a light rain turns Californian highways into a death orgy. I can't believe those even have grip on slightly rough tarmac.

Considering that you can see the belting, I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem for long when they explode in spectacular fashion.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This certainly is.

I like the paint job, but everything else on it makes it horrible. Those wheels are ridiculous looking.

subx fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 30, 2014

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I don't see too many riced-out cars on the road anymore, so getting stuck behind an old Civic on the way home from work was a rare treat. Unfortunate taillights, brutal fart can, and burning oil. Proper technique for pulling away from an intersection? Jerk forward, coast for a few seconds, and then "BWEHHHHHHH" until hitting 31mph and catching up with the car in front. Rinse and repeat. I'm still not sure if he was trying to show off his revs or just incapable of keeping up with a taxi.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This certainly is.

I love slammed duallies, but those wheels and grille are atrocious.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I had a newish Mini stand on it in front of me the other day and blow out a lovely plume of white smoke. Are those cars already getting old enough that the rings are gone?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

I had a newish Mini stand on it in front of me the other day and blow out a lovely plume of white smoke. Are those cars already getting old enough that the rings are gone?

They've been in production for 14 years, so, yeah probably. It's weird, any car made after 2000 I still tend to classify as "new". This must be what getting old is like.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

veedubfreak posted:

People do dumb poo poo to them just as much as any other tuner car, they just cost more, so you probably see it more often from the 18-25 crowd with 1% parents. So it wasn't necessarily "old enough", it could just be awfully abused.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

They've been in production for 14 years, so, yeah probably. It's weird, any car made after 2000 I still tend to classify as "new". This must be what getting old is like.

Old is when those cars start showing up with antique plates on them.

First time I saw a 1980's LeSabre wearing Illinois AV plates I got pretty :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

veedubfreak posted:

Well, white smoke is generally a sign of water in the combustion chamber/exhaust, so either a head gasket or it had been driving gently til then and revving boiled/blew out the accumulated condensation from overnight.

And given they're made by BMW (GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM), well...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Terrible Robot posted:

It's weird, any car made after 2000 I still tend to classify as "new". This must be what getting old is like.

I graduated high school in 1990, so there are nearly-25-year-old cars that register with me as "fairly new". :corsair:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Old is when those cars start showing up with antique plates on them.

First time I saw a 1980's LeSabre wearing Illinois AV plates I got pretty :smith:

I saw a LeBaron wearing them the other day. I just stared.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I saw a LeBaron wearing them the other day. I just stared.

A little voice in my head said "Don't look back, you can never look back"

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

CommieGIR posted:

Anyways, am I the only one who thinks the 'rusted car look' is awful?

Just the other day I saw a Renault Clio II with it's plastic front wings covered in 'rust'. :doh:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Healthcare/terrible car poo poo crossover.

and something else I stumbled across on the way

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

When Hot Wheels come to life.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Wolfsbane posted:

It's like the modern equivalent of one those Cadillac hearse/ambulances from the 1950s.

I want this, with some sort of absurdly large blown big block:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A Melted Tarp posted:

It's like the modern equivalent of one those Cadillac hearse/ambulances from the 1950s.

I want this, with some sort of absurdly large blown big block:

Enter The Terminator:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Track day bro

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bucephalus posted:

I graduated high school in 1990, so there are nearly-25-year-old cars that register with me as "fairly new". :corsair:

I am seriously considering putting Classic/Antique plates on my Miata next year when it turns 25.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

Track day bro

Hmm, I'm stuck driving the slowest version of an already comically underpowered car. Yep some rims will fix that right up!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Hmm, I'm stuck driving the slowest version of an already comically underpowered car. Yep some rims will fix that right up!

Also note aftermarket exhaust on a car that only has exhaust some of the time

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

xzzy posted:

When I think "comically underpowered" I typically think of a diesel Mercedes from the 80s or a VW bus.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wolfsbane posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

So THATs what Ram Jam was singing about!

Pretty much everything here. Keep clicking until you get to the Donks. Think that is around page 15. :w00t: