Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Africa season is probably the one that captivated me the most because of how extreme the setting was. Granted, I don't want people to be put in danger for my entertainment but watching it I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. For better or worst that "survival" aspect of Survivor that was there in the early seasons seems to largely be gone in the modern show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aerox posted:

I'm still bummed that Survivor: Jordan had to be scrapped for S4, because that would have been INCREDIBLE.

:suicide:

Hayden is a much better representative. :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they do this because it gets legit dangerous in a lot of landlocked areas in ways they can't control. Didn't one of the tribes in Tocantins have their entire water supply contaminated or something?

What's wrong with doing another season in Australia then? We don't have elephants making GBS threads in our water.

they could even visit the Outback this time.

Rarity have you finished South Pacific yet? I have words to post in answer to your question but they rely on you having seen the whole thing.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 30, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

Rarity have you finished South Pacific yet? I have words to post in answer to your question but they rely on you having seen the whole thing.

Nope, I've kinda hit my Survivor burnout point. I can only ever binge about 4 seasons before I need a break.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BGrifter posted:

:suicide:

Hayden is a much better representative. :v:

I'd enjoy seeing Dan or Kaysar on Survivor though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Nope, I've kinda hit my Survivor burnout point. I can only ever binge about 4 seasons before I need a break.

No one would blame you for skipping One World. Things pick up again a lot after that though.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No one would blame you for skipping One World. Things pick up again a lot after that though.

Wouldn't blame you, but also if you are bothering to watch every single season then it's probably worth it just to see how low Survivor gets. There's also a couple characters worth seeing just to know including the worst Survivor ever and an impressive (even if kind of boring) winner. Also, it probably makes Philippines even better when you've trudged through that stretch and suddenly get the "wow Survivor can actually still be good".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo I'm catching up on the season but Chaos Kass is maybe the dumbest move I've witnessed in the 20+ seasons of Survivor I've seen

Dumber than JT letter, dumber than Erik immunity necklace transfer, maybe dumber than Tyson voting himself out

To literally go from final three to bottom of a 6-man alliance with 0% of winning even if she gets to FTC is unheard of

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Occupation posted:

Yo I'm catching up on the season but Chaos Kass is maybe the dumbest move I've witnessed in the 20+ seasons of Survivor I've seen

Dumber than JT letter, dumber than Erik immunity necklace transfer, maybe dumber than Tyson voting himself out

To literally go from final three to bottom of a 6-man alliance with 0% of winning even if she gets to FTC is unheard of

no, you don't understand, Sarah was literally sort of mean to her this one time and

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Poque posted:

no, you don't understand, Sarah was literally sort of mean to her this one time and

Are people defending her move itt? Lol, If you think that was anything but a terrible move for kass' shortgame, kass' long game, and for her alliance you don't know how this game works

Like flipping is a bad move in general because it loses you a bunch of jury votes, but it's understandable when you're cochran and are going from the bottom of one alliance to the bottom of another. It makes 0 sense under any circumstance if you have a guaranteed top three in the dominant alliance and you flipped to get rid of someone you don't like!!!! Not a strategic threat, not a gameplay threat, not even someone you can't trust, just a person you have a lovely time talking to! What?!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Occupation posted:

Are people defending her move itt? Lol, If you think that was anything but a terrible move for kass' shortgame, kass' long game, and for her alliance you don't know how this game works

Like flipping is a bad move in general because it loses you a bunch of jury votes, but it's understandable when you're cochran and are going from the bottom of one alliance to the bottom of another. It makes 0 sense under any circumstance if you have a guaranteed top three in the dominant alliance and you flipped to get rid of someone you don't like!!!! Not a strategic threat, not a gameplay threat, not even someone you can't trust, just a person you have a lovely time talking to! What?!

No, I don't think anybody here was defending the move, it was pretty much the entire justification for it by Kass though. She's deluded herself into thinking her position is better now but has failed to explain exactly how that is aside from "I'm keeping annoying people around" without directly equating that to endgame votes or how pissing off >50% of the jury is going to work in her advantage.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

FYI, in case anyone is interested in the Survivor forum game that runs in the Game Room from time to time, season 5 sign-ups are live: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630188&pagenumber=1

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

King Burgundy posted:

FYI, in case anyone is interested in the Survivor forum game that runs in the Game Room from time to time, season 5 sign-ups are live: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630188&pagenumber=1

If anybody even thinks they might want to do this, do it. It's so fun. Maybe you'll even get an avatar out of it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

If anybody even thinks they might want to do this, do it. It's so fun. Maybe you'll even get an avatar out of it.

What up AHM bro? :hfive:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Occupation posted:

Not that I'm defending the move (seriously, I'm not, it was stupid) but there's been some speculation that Sarah, Spencer, and Jeremiah had a final three so the "Brains" Final Three everyone is assuming didn't really exist and Sarah was a bit of a threat to Kass. I think Sarah claimed that in her exit interview. Mind, you that's weeks down the line. Kass's move was stupid especially because it was done so early. But it just might not be "threw away final three" stupid.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Rarity posted:

What up AHM bro? :hfive:

What up AHM bro/sis? :hfive:

But yeah, after years of watching Survivor, the forums version was pretty much a perfect chance to put my money where my mouth was. I hope a few people from this thread sign up!

on topic: I think people are being too hard on Kass. It's only not smart in a season where the alliances are airtight and locked in (like Cochran in South Pacific). There's nothing wrong with being unpredictable as long as you manage to not look like a target yourself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

But yeah, after years of watching Survivor, the forums version was pretty much a perfect chance to put my money where my mouth was. I hope a few people from this thread sign up!

Yeah, anyone even slightly considering it should give it a go. Pulling off a successful backstab is one of the best feelings.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Yeah, anyone even slightly considering it should give it a go. Pulling off a successful backstab is one of the best feelings.

:qq:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

See guys? It's the gift that keeps on giving :smug:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You robbed me of my AHM av. Unforgivable.

As for actual Survivor, Kass (like Rarity) let her paranoia get to her and it probably cost her the game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

You got a whole comic strip instead :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can someone link to past games? I'd like to know what I'm getting into before diving in headfirst :shobon:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone link to past games? I'd like to know what I'm getting into before diving in headfirst :shobon:

Season 4
Season 3
Season 2
Season 1

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I do kind of dislike Cochran but you're right, he obviously played a strong enough social game that he was trusted with information and allies. Like I said, I may not have liked him or enjoyed his game but I'd never say it was undeserving. Do I think he got lucky with his place in the game and cast he had? Yes. Do I think others in the same situation had a harder road because they posed more obvious threats than him? Absolutely. But he still pulled it off. That's something Dawn couldn't do. Obviously he outplayed her at the very least. It takes no small amount of gamesmanship to navigate Survivor even if you catch every break in the book. Even if you're handed every break there is you still have to not screw it up, and Cochran at least won a couple of challenges and factored into a couple of important moves.

I just think Cochran got a relative "easy" path to there, "easy" of course being a poor word for what is a ridiculously difficult thing. Placed on a dominate tribe, that formed a dominate majority alliance, and there were half a dozen obvious threats being targeted the whole post merge game. Cochran was able to lay low and take advantage of these opportune breaks. But he DID take advantage of them and pull it off. He navigated the complicated social and strategic nature of the game as well as the rigorous physical, emotional, and psychological aspects of the game. So I'm not saying he's undeserving. I'm just saying all wins aren't created equal and Cochran would probably rank fairly low on my list of winners' games (In all honesty I just don't have a good enough memory of most past seasons to give fair evaluation of every winner since I've only seen each season once).

Him and JT are the only two players to have perfect games

The reason Cochran had it easy because he made it easy. You're missing the cause effect here, which is there was always a bigger target than him because he made sure he was a smaller target.

You don't "luck out" into a perfect game, that demands social and strategy play so dominant as to be ludicrous where nobody, ever, at any stage of the game thinks you're a threat to beat them AND needs you in their alliance, or in JTs case a literal second player to handle your deficiences.

Cochran had no Stephen, his was one of the best overall survivor performances no question

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 30, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Occupation posted:

Him and JT are the only two players to have perfect games

You're forgetting Rob on RI

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

You're forgetting Rob on RI

Terry did not vote for him in FTC, not a perfect game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

sux 2 suck

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Occupation posted:

Terry did not vote for him in FTC, not a perfect game

If that's how you're judging it you forgot Earl on Fiji

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

Earl got votes during the regular game iirc

A survivor-defined perfect game is 0 votes during the regular game and all votes at FTC

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry no a perfect game is defined as

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Rarity posted:

A "perfect game" is defined as no votes against during the game and all the votes for at final tribal. Although Earl played a spectacular game he did receive one vote at like the 2nd or 3rd tribal.

e: And I got beaten.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Asiina posted:

I'm sorry no a perfect game is defined as

perfect spirit perfect record perfect Sandra :allears: :love:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

This sounds super interesting but a 5pm Eastern start time for whatever means I have no chance in hell of playing :(

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'd love to play that, but I'm not social enough, and I don't have PMs, so I'd probably be out really early.
I've been thinking about Kass's move, and I think several things are clear now.
1. She was on the bottom of her original alliance as well, or at least on par with Morgan. It was clear Spencer and Tasha quite liked and bonded with Sarah and Jeremiah, and Kass's emotional remove probably didn't help.
2. She may have formed a closer alliance with Trish than with either of her brain tribemates. From the episodes subsequent to her switch, she seems to just be hanging out with Trish a lot. 3. At the time of the flip, she seemed like she'd be at the bottom of the alliance, but Tony wanted LJ out, Jefra's probably the first of the dominant alliance to go (no suballiances, Tony probably sees her as an unworthy coattail-rider), Tony views Woo as a threat. So, I kind of suspect a Tony/Trish/Woo/Kass final four, and that's at least one position higher than she might have been otherwise, plus if Woo doesn't win immunity there, he's out, and then she's Top 3.
Obviously, her move jeopardized the jury voting for her, but she's on an excellent track to be in the Final 3/2.

I'm trying to imagine a Tony/Trish/Kass FTC, and it's amazing.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Words about Kass.

I have to agree. I still think she made the wrong move and the wrong time and it was pretty foolish, but acting like she gave up an easy final three scenario seems kind of absurd. Even if we assume Spencer and Tash stayed completely tight with her, they're a very obvious Final 3 alliance and I don't think there's any way they don't get targeted and taken out down the line, like the Rotu 4 in Marquesas.

It's still a dumb move for a variety of reasons, but I don't think her rationale for making it is as terrible as people here seem to think it was.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Her rationale was literally that she didn't like Sarah, even after Tash attempted to mediate their differences (waa Tash is taking Sarah's side). That is a horrible reason to flip, especially right after the merge. I can't think of a single time that's gone well for the flipper.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Her rationale was literally that she didn't like Sarah, even after Tash attempted to mediate their differences (waa Tash is taking Sarah's side). That is a horrible reason to flip, especially right after the merge. I can't think of a single time that's gone well for the flipper.

My favorite part about this is when it came full circle and she said to her new alliance "You can't vote someone out just because they annoy you" with absolutely zero self recognition.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kass flipping wasn't as dumb as insisting she didn't flip and was still a free agent. Even Cochran gave up on reconciliation ~5 minutes after returning to the beach.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair, Cochran's tribe had maligned him pretty fiercely from the beginning, save for Dawn (who chickened out on making a good move with him later on). I've seen some bad behavior, but the way his former tribemates treated him after the flip was utterly despicable, maybe even worse than Alicia (One World) or Na'Onka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Cochran's flip was a simple but logical trade up. He went from virtually zero chance to win the game, to an extraordinarily slim chance to win the game. It didn't pan out, but it was still the right move. A 2% shot to win is better than a 1% shot, even if you lose 98 times out of 100. The fact that it crushed the games of Ozzy/Jim/etc wasn't particularly relevant, except as a little sweetener given how they treated him.

I love players like that. Make the highest percentage play you can and hope for the best, even if it's long odds to slightly less long odds. Hayden did a fantastic job of fighting his rear end off despite being in a losing spot last year, Spencer is doing the same this year. It's how the game should be played.

• Locked thread