Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Mister Kingdom posted:

About 24-30" long and about 20" tall at the shoulder. No idea about weight - maybe 35-40 lbs?

Maybe golden retriever/chow? I've met a few of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Scary Ned posted:

Sure they look like little JRT button ears. They look like JRT-sized button ears on a large dog. Can you find me a large breed with such wittle-bitty ears?

If it helps she also has a tight but thick coat and a big ruff around her head, kind of like a chow.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Scary Ned posted:

Sure they look like little JRT button ears. They look like JRT-sized button ears on a large dog. Can you find me a large breed with such wittle-bitty ears?

Yes, I can:http://i.imgur.com/x7k6b4M.jpg, they're about a lab sized dog(but tend to not be as bulky). There are others too, but Airedale was just the easiest example. I could see shar pei ears I guess, but the lack of any loose skin, esp on the face, at all makes me doubt it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Here is my Mom's rescue/trash hound:

She always looks a bit like she just crawled out from behind a dumpster (in an adorable sort of way). Our best guess is that she is some amalgamation of border terrier (her face has the appearance) and schnauzer (her fur definitely fits with schnauzer). Though her ears (which are very expressive in displaying her mood) don't really fit so well with those breeds so who knows.

Her mannerisms are pretty weird. She totally doesn't mind being handled at all. Even if you pick her up while she is in the dead of sleep she won't growl or anything and just go along with whatever your doing. Though she has that terrier, ":lol: I'm not going to listen to you," attitude as well (especially if something she is interested in is near-by). She also doesn't know how to play all that well, and can be pretty skittish, though that probably has more to do with whatever was going on before she ended up at a shelter than her breed.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I always wanted a dog like Tramp, of Lady and the Tramp. A happy-go-lucky mutt with triangular ears that folded down but still looked jaunty.

What kind of mutt was he supposed to be, anyway?

crackton
May 9, 2009
I was taking my 9 week old puppy out for a walk in the park today when I saw what looked like a husky approaching from far away with its owner. The "husky" was off in the bush somewhere as we approached the owner and stopped for a chat. As the dog returned I quickly realized this was no regular husky and asked the owner if I could approach the dog to say hi. I'm about 5'9" and this dog(which by now seemed more like a wolf) came over and his head was maybe an inch beneath my chin, and must've been easily over 200lbs. He had a thick hide and his fur was wirey and seemed to have an oily coat on it. It's colouring was mainly grey with black mixed in around the face and shoulders. He seemed very obedient and well tempered but it was likely due to the fact that he was outfitted with a shock collar :( .

I was in such shock at the size of this thing, and then later about the shock collar, that I didn't think to ask about the breed. I've done some searching after coming home and the closest match I found was the Czecheslovakian Wolfdog. However this particular dog was way bigger then anything I was able to find so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
Did some weirdo domesticate an actual wolf, or is this just some husky/wolfdog on steroids ?

Fake edit: (I've seen smaller wolves in the wild)

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I always wanted a dog like Tramp, of Lady and the Tramp. A happy-go-lucky mutt with triangular ears that folded down but still looked jaunty.

What kind of mutt was he supposed to be, anyway?

Honestly I always thought they said "mutt" but modeled him on a Schnauzer.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

crackton posted:

I was taking my 9 week old puppy out for a walk in the park today when I saw what looked like a husky approaching from far away with its owner. The "husky" was off in the bush somewhere as we approached the owner and stopped for a chat. As the dog returned I quickly realized this was no regular husky and asked the owner if I could approach the dog to say hi. I'm about 5'9" and this dog(which by now seemed more like a wolf) came over and his head was maybe an inch beneath my chin, and must've been easily over 200lbs. He had a thick hide and his fur was wirey and seemed to have an oily coat on it. It's colouring was mainly grey with black mixed in around the face and shoulders. He seemed very obedient and well tempered but it was likely due to the fact that he was outfitted with a shock collar :( .

I was in such shock at the size of this thing, and then later about the shock collar, that I didn't think to ask about the breed. I've done some searching after coming home and the closest match I found was the Czecheslovakian Wolfdog. However this particular dog was way bigger then anything I was able to find so I was hoping you guys could help me out.
Did some weirdo domesticate an actual wolf, or is this just some husky/wolfdog on steroids ?

Yeah, I think that was a dire wolf. Winter is coming.

crackton
May 9, 2009

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Yeah, I think that was a dire wolf. Winter is coming.

As someone who's been intensely addicted to the ASOIF series, this, unironically, was one of the first things that came to mind :blush: .

But yea, if I hadn't seen it and someone described it to me I'd also think the facts may have been "embellished" :airquote: to say the least.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
This is not Brisbane:

This is Kip, one of our daycare dogs. He looks enough like Briz that his first day of daycare resulted in management asking why my dog was there on my day off.

I think Kip is Brisbane's good twin. He doesn't mind having his nails cut, and is generally much more easygoing about...everything.

Kip and Brisbane have an agreement that they will never look at the camera at the same time.

Kip is definitely an Australian cattledog mixed with something that has big floppy ears. Brisbane is part Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I'm guessing Kip might be part beagle.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Those are some handsome dogges

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Scary Ned posted:

This is not Brisbane:

This is Kip, one of our daycare dogs. He looks enough like Briz that his first day of daycare resulted in management asking why my dog was there on my day off.

I think Kip is Brisbane's good twin. He doesn't mind having his nails cut, and is generally much more easygoing about...everything.

Kip and Brisbane have an agreement that they will never look at the camera at the same time.

Kip is definitely an Australian cattledog mixed with something that has big floppy ears. Brisbane is part Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I'm guessing Kip might be part beagle.

Look at all them browndawgs.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

crackton posted:

Well since the largest living wolf usually maxes out under 100lbs and the largest recorded one ever still was under 200lbs it wasn't a wolf. Sounds like one of those poor "king" or giant malamutes people breed for stupid reasons.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

HappyHelmet posted:

That is a Yorkie/Schnauzer mix or I'll eat my own dog.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foxy posted:

That is a Yorkie/Schnauzer mix or I'll eat my own dog.

Yeah, I've been suspecting the same thing. I figured a combination of those two would result in a smaller dog (Yorkies are like 1/2 the size of a Schnauzer in my experience), but I guess that isn't always the case with mixes. My Mom's dog is definitely Schnauzer sized, but her face is definitely a Yorkie face.

Also apparently mixing those two breeds is a thing now :psyduck:. There are several websites devoted to "Snorkies" on Google.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
This is Carlos.

At first i thought he was 100% BYB chi, but the longer I have him the more I think he's got a terrier somewhere in his grandparents. Chis aren't supposed to be gamey or go to ground, are they? I took him out off leash and next thing i know i hear his tags stop behind me, and turn around and he's dug down into a rabbit warren come back with a baby rabbit.

He has "papers" saying he's 100% chi, but having met another pup from the same bitch (different dad) the bitch and the other dog look way more Chihuahua-y than Carlos does. So my though it Chi/ChixTerrier. He springpoles and can last forever, and when he wants to be he is really really gamey, but he doesn't always want to be, and there's plenty of times where a walk simply consists of a nice long lap around our apartment complex, and times where I'm standing at the edge of the giant field behind my house waiting for him to come back with whatever little critter he went after. Dunno what kind of terrier, he's really vocal, and its more of a terrier bark than the yip yip people associate with Chi's. He also loves to howl, and there are times when he wants something that I think I adopted a tea kettle rather than a dog since he lets out this long, slow, high pitched whine. I blame the last owners who fed him all people food and then got drunk and beat the poo poo out of him, so now when I eat he thinks he's entitled to some.

t

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's possible, but my purebred puppymill garbage Chi has oodles of prey drive and more stamina than my bigger dog when properly motivated.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

HappyHelmet posted:

Looks like my friend's backyard breeder Yorkie. Though more fuzzy and cute :)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

AA is for Quitters posted:

This is Carlos.

At first i thought he was 100% BYB chi, but the longer I have him the more I think he's got a terrier somewhere in his grandparents. Chis aren't supposed to be gamey or go to ground, are they? I took him out off leash and next thing i know i hear his tags stop behind me, and turn around and he's dug down into a rabbit warren come back with a baby rabbit.

He has "papers" saying he's 100% chi, but having met another pup from the same bitch (different dad) the bitch and the other dog look way more Chihuahua-y than Carlos does. So my though it Chi/ChixTerrier. He springpoles and can last forever, and when he wants to be he is really really gamey, but he doesn't always want to be, and there's plenty of times where a walk simply consists of a nice long lap around our apartment complex, and times where I'm standing at the edge of the giant field behind my house waiting for him to come back with whatever little critter he went after. Dunno what kind of terrier, he's really vocal, and its more of a terrier bark than the yip yip people associate with Chi's. He also loves to howl, and there are times when he wants something that I think I adopted a tea kettle rather than a dog since he lets out this long, slow, high pitched whine. I blame the last owners who fed him all people food and then got drunk and beat the poo poo out of him, so now when I eat he thinks he's entitled to some.

t

Do you really have a choke chain on your chihuahua? :psyduck:

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate
We just got Hambone's Wisdom Panel results! My guess was GSD/Husky/ Australian Shepherd, so I am partially correct!

I am going to go on and believe that there is Vallhund in him, since that would explain his long/ low body shape, and husky-looking attributes to some extent. Plus they are awesome.

Reference photos:

My question for you doggy coat genetics goons is...where do you think the black and white ticking is coming from? The Aussie? Ham is tri-color (I think?), and the spots on his legs are subtly brown, not black, and before his face went gray, one side was slightly tan-ish/cream.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sup guys.

This is Trek. He's super soft, full of energy, and loves big hugs and kisses. I also have no idea what breed he is. Maybe you guys can help?

No skateboarding dogs I guess

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Looks like my dog Jada

We were told GSD/Husky but I've never seen any husky in there. I think GSD/Rott, or GSD/doberman but I lean towards rott. She's 100% loving though, it's like instead of teeth she grew up with nothing but licking.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Sup guys.

This is Trek. He's super soft, full of energy, and loves big hugs and kisses. I also have no idea what breed he is. Maybe you guys can help?

No skateboarding dogs I guess

There is Rott in there for sure. Hard to say what the other half would be. Maybe border collie or retriever?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

100% adorable!! He's got the spotted tongue like border collies, taiwanese dogs, chows/cattle dogs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They're coming to adopt my dog today.

My girlfriend and I's time in India is coming to an end, and we're not going to be able to bring Lola back with us. I'd flirted with starting an indiegogo campaign to raise the funds, with the extra going to Hyderabad Blue Cross or something, but due to the way we're leaving our jobs it wasn't really feasible. We're also taking a three week vacation into SouthEast Asia in June, so we'd have to find someone to take care of her during that before we flew back and stuck her in a crate for 14 hours. If we get a direct flight, which our boss would have to send us to Chennai to get.

There's a really good pet adoption FB page around here, and we quickly found a family interested. They have a young daughter, so Lola will have someone to play with, and the mother previously raised an Indian rescue street dog for 13 years. They don't have a yard, but they live in a nice colony with a large green space.

So long little poo poo potato. When we got you, you were a scared, timid little puppy covered in scars who would hide in our laundry whenever the air conditioning turned on.

Now you're a little poo poo volcano who's nothing but legs and god knows how big you're actually going to get. AND GOD DAMMIT HOW MUCH OF OUR FURNITURE HAVE YOU CLAIMED AS YOUR OWN?!?!?

Not now, Lola.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2014

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Awww, what a cutie. I love her ears.

I am sorry to hear you couldn't keep her with you, but it sounds like she will have a great time with her new family. :3:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Psychobabble! posted:

Do you really have a choke chain on your chihuahua? :psyduck:

He came with it. :/ A lot of those were like the first two days I had him when I was still getting everything for him. (he was sorta an impromptu rescue.) He now has a nice blue collar regular collar for running around and a harness for long walks. It still took almost a week before i could get the choke chain off though he was so touchy about his neck. I don't even know why they had the choke chain on him, he never got "walked" it was always just being let out of the house. I'm afraid to know how many litters of pups he has considering he was still intact when i got him, and he was used to roaming around wherever and just barking to be let back in the house. If lovely purebred chis are as gamey as terriers, then i dont doubt he's 100%, I just didn't realize it was possible for lovely purebred chis to like to bring back (dead, still bleeding, furry) presents.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

She is super cute. Was she a street dog?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

AA is for Quitters posted:

If lovely purebred chis are as gamey as terriers, then i dont doubt he's 100%, I just didn't realize it was possible for lovely purebred chis to like to bring back (dead, still bleeding, furry) presents.

Clearly he is a Chi/Badass mix.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wheats posted:

She is super cute. Was she a street dog?

Yep. They're everywhere in hyderabad.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Hi, I lurk here sometimes. I got a puppy from Secondhand Hounds a few months ago in Minnesota and we know she's an Australian Cattle Dog mix, but we can't figure out what else she has.

Her intake photo. She was picked up in Missouri as a stray.

She's 7 months old now and about 25-30 pounds.

Here she is untying my partner's shoelaces (she is only interested in pulling on tied shoelaces, otherwise she doesn't touch them. This is her favorite party trick).

And these are her crazy eyes.

She doesn't seem to have grown since we got her three months ago, so she's on the very small side of ACD. The pointiness of the ears and the facial markings seem to indicate Rat Terrier/Feist, but she's stockier than those dogs. Her eyes are more almond-shaped, so I was guessing maybe part black Shiba? She also has amazing paw dexterity; she's able to flex her paws to grip you and pull your hands to whatever she wants you to do. She's really smart and picks up on training usually in a few instances of whatever we're doing, but definitely has the energy of a cattle dog.

Any ideas/look at my preshus baby.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Eponine posted:

Hi, I lurk here sometimes. I got a puppy from Secondhand Hounds a few months ago in Minnesota and we know she's an Australian Cattle Dog mix, but we can't figure out what else she has.

Any ideas/look at my preshus baby.

Why are you convinced she's a mix? Looks mostly cattledog to me.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
She's way small for a cattle dog. The last time we were at the vet about 6 weeks ago, he said she was done growing at 27 pounds. It looks like the minimum threshold for these dogs is around 35 and it goes up to 50 pounds. Maybe she's just a runty one?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Sounds to me like she's all cattledog. The working ones I grew up with were all that size, the bigger ones are a new thing. Smaller dogs don't get kicked.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah cattledogs aren't supposed to be that big. Looks like she could very well be all cattledog. But breeds don't always show through physically, so she could easily be a mix as well. Who knows. :iiam:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Under 30 pounds is pretty small for a cattledog though, Max is on the small side of cattledogs and he's a solid 40 pounds. Pistol's 37 pounds but he's still filling out. She does look like she could be mixed with some sort of terrier.

There is such a thing as a miniature cattledog, but the odds of finding one of those roaming about as a stray are much lower than a cattledog/terrier mutt.

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
Hey guys I posted some pictures of Andy the Pyr mix back in October when I first got him. I looked at those pictures the other day and was shocked at how skinny he looked compared to now - he's filled out a bit and seems to be enjoying life. The lady who ran the place where I boarded him a few months ago thinks he might be part Samoyed. As much as I dislike cutesy mixed breed portmanteaus that would make Andy a "Pyramoyed" which is pretty neat.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

We just got Hambone's Wisdom Panel results! My guess was GSD/Husky/ Australian Shepherd, so I am partially correct!

I am going to go on and believe that there is Vallhund in him, since that would explain his long/ low body shape, and husky-looking attributes to some extent. Plus they are awesome.

Reference photos:

My question for you doggy coat genetics goons is...where do you think the black and white ticking is coming from? The Aussie? Ham is tri-color (I think?), and the spots on his legs are subtly brown, not black, and before his face went gray, one side was slightly tan-ish/cream.

I think Hambone would be a creeping tan (which is black and tan/tri color with an extra modifier I think?) with extreme piebald white and ticking. Creeping tan is fairly common in both GSDs and Aussies so I'm not surprised to see those in the mix. I've seen a number of aussies with ticking too so that's probably where that's coming from.

The minor breeds in those tests are always pretty laughable but I could see some BYB mini/toy aussie getting it on with the neighbor's GSD/something shorthaired carrying white mix. Something terrier-y would be my guess because wisdom panel seems to have trouble with terrier-y dogs.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think Hambone would be a creeping tan (which is black and tan/tri color with an extra modifier I think?) with extreme piebald white and ticking. Creeping tan is fairly common in both GSDs and Aussies so I'm not surprised to see those in the mix. I've seen a number of aussies with ticking too so that's probably where that's coming from.

The minor breeds in those tests are always pretty laughable but I could see some BYB mini/toy aussie getting it on with the neighbor's GSD/something shorthaired carrying white mix. Something terrier-y would be my guess because wisdom panel seems to have trouble with terrier-y dogs.

Thank you for this! Now I have another search term, creeping tan, I didn't know about! Do you have any recommended reading material on dog coat genetics, or dog genetics in general?

Terrier is possible, for sure, and I know WP is bad at those. Ham is intensely prey-driven, and is excellent at the "grab-bite" phase of the drive (see: consumed bunny; captured, shaken possum (both possum and Ham made it out of that one unscathed, somehow)), but he's also really herdy, and I know prey drive goes hand in hand with that. Yay mutts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Under 30 pounds is pretty small for a cattledog though, Max is on the small side of cattledogs and he's a solid 40 pounds. Pistol's 37 pounds but he's still filling out. She does look like she could be mixed with some sort of terrier.

There is such a thing as a miniature cattledog, but the odds of finding one of those roaming about as a stray are much lower than a cattledog/terrier mutt.

Thanks for the info, guys! It looks like she's on the big end of a miniature and the small end of a regular cattledog. She did come with her tail docked and dew claws removed, so I think someone at some point wanted her and she escaped.