Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm level 110 and I have 15 vigor. Wizards 4 lyfe. :c00lbert:

102 and 10 :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any place to actually see my item discovery chances? I can't find it on my equip or status screens.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought I saw a screenshot of a program that tests the name censorship. Can anyone point me to it?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
"Hey guys, remember how everyone really disliked Blighttown? Well let's do it again, but with no lights :iamafag:"

gently caress. The. Gutter! :argh:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

25 vigor? My witch character has like 15 vigor. You don't need health if you never get hit :colbert:

So why'd you level it so high then? :smuggo:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I liked playing the Gutter solo (even dying like 6 times) to get all the torches lit. Felt like an accomplishment :shobon:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TheQat posted:

I liked playing the Gutter solo (even dying like 6 times) to get all the torches lit. Felt like an accomplishment :shobon:

I never touch torches in this game, but every time I hit the Gutter I feel compelled to light every drat one of them. It's the only area I actually completely clear out these days.

e: vvv Sorry, I'm a filthy console player who beat the game like five times before PC release and then bought it on PC too :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 30, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"These days"? Good heavens, the game hasn't even been out a week. (In this thread at least, stop gloating console players)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Umberger posted:

So why'd you level it so high then? :smuggo:

I didn't know int/faith gave fire damage bonuses so I thought I'd run out of things to put points into.

What's the biggest bloodstain you guys have ever lost? I'm pretty good about getting my souls back usually, I think the 50k I lost today might be my highest one ever. I could of just spent those souls but not I had to be "efficient" and try to get one last item before doing it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

pmchem posted:

Does upgrading that hat improve its item find bonus?

That's what I've heard but it's hard to tell when farming berserker since his droprate is so low to start with.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
What do I need to cast pyomancy spells? I can't figure it out

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What do I need to cast pyomancy spells? I can't figure it out

You need a pyromancy hand, loot it from a chest after the boss of No-Man's Wharf.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any advantage to duel wielding? I have 40 dex and 22 str and i don't see any new attack animations.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Mans posted:

Is there any advantage to duel wielding? I have 40 dex and 22 str and i don't see any new attack animations.

Hold down your stance change button to enter power stance.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dang but this game seems like it'll take a while to finish. Compared to Demon's Souls (which is the one I've played most recently) it's a mind-boggling maze with tons of small dead-end areas you can search. A fair bit harder too - I'm 11 hours in and only killed one boss, and found two others I can't even put a dent in. It's probably time to pick a main weapon and start upgrading it, although I haven't found a perfect one yet (bye bye DS1's stabby halberd :qq:)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Man I was in my element today. Smashed 6 Bellbros in a row and killed those rear end in a top hat Gargoyles solo in my third try :black101: . (Then died to the dog pit).

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm at the black castle place after getting four super souls with enough weight bearing to carry my full vengarl, bastard sword and tower shield with a gyrm penis dome just under 70%. Should I keep pumping it for some super amazing heavy armour just round the corner or am I practically speaking around the mark for being an unfat cool knight dude?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the biggest bloodstain you guys have ever lost? I'm pretty good about getting my souls back usually, I think the 50k I lost today might be my highest one ever. I could of just spent those souls but not I had to be "efficient" and try to get one last item before doing it.

On the console I didn't read what Climax was/does, and just assumed it was Great Great Resonant Soul. I was holding 425k souls. OOPS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MadJackMcJack posted:

"Hey guys, remember how everyone really disliked Blighttown? Well let's do it again, but with no lights :iamafag:"

gently caress. The. Gutter! :argh:

Personally I thought Dark Souls 1 didn't have enough dark areas and Tomb of Giants was over too quick. The Abyss in the DLC was cool too but also over too quick.

Comeon ya baby Gutter's fine :cheeky: You can do it.

Just like Blighttown its scarier than it actually is. Its designed to be intimidating.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I forgot to mention strength is I think 35 and everything else is ~20+ except faith and intelligence which are unscrupulous stats for suspicious people.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just like Blighttown its scarier than it actually is. Its designed to be intimidating.

As long as it doesn't have the flying the bugs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Guh, I don't get it. As soon as I get past 200k soul memory I just stop getting summoned. I'm at 280k souls and trying to sunbro at Chariot/Skeleton Lords, but I get summoned like once every 20 minutes. supposedly people get summoned fast throughout the entire game though so I have no idea why I always seem to be alone.

VVV Wait seriously? I thought it made you more likely to get summoned, not less.

Name-engraved ring lets you pick 'servers' so you and your friends can go into the same chatroom.

Its nice so you can put your sign down and you don't keep getting summoned by the wrong people when you're waiting for your friend to summon you.

But if you're not seeing any summon signs you should take that thing off, gently caress. Or at least try changing which god you picked. Each time you put it on you can pick a different 'room'.

Calidus posted:

As long as it doesn't have the flying the bugs.

No mosquitoes! Its easy!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah to be honest i was panicking like hell in that area until i understood it was composed of one hit minions and giant dogs. The dogs were tough as hell but easily avoidable so all i had to do was slowly progress to the fog-gate.

If i had to choose i'd definately prefer this version of blighttown.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

For the longest time I thought I had no backstab on dual-caestus. Then I realized that backstabs are only on right-handed attacks.

Good loving lord, what is my guy doing? Emergency Kidney-ectomies?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I like to use the name ring to imply that my sign is intended for one person to summon. Usually someone I'm in voip with.

It's a little irritating when some rando summons me when I've gone out of my way to hide my sign from the majority of the playerbase. That said, I usually go ahead and help them anyway if it's a small sign. If it's a large sign far from the boss, I'm probably going to just black crystal out.

Not gettin' mad at video games, but just...don't be surprised or offended if you summon someone on a god channel and they immediately black crystal out.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I kinda liked the Gutter. It's quite intimating when you enter the place but bringing light in there is really fulfilling.

Annoying decorations all over the place though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I thought Dark Souls 1 didn't have enough dark areas and Tomb of Giants was over too quick. The Abyss in the DLC was cool too but also over too quick.

I didn't really find it intimidating, it mostly just felt like a slog trying to work my way through a maze of ladders while lighting torches/casting light every few minutes.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I don't mind the gutter, as long as you have a torch it's perfectly easy to navigate.

Does anyone else think the AI of the enemies in the dragon aerie is weird as poo poo? The big dudes with the 2 handed maces seem to spaz out and attack constantly without any gaps between attacks so I'm standing there taking a wallop with my greatshield like "come on I'd like an opening this decade". The guys with the greatshields and hammers are assholes too because they do a combo, I think they're recovering, go to hit them and they shield bash me immediately poise breaking, it's annoying.

Then the dragon guard humanoid dudes, they seem to do weird poo poo like block attacks WHILE attacking, rolling through attacks even though I hit them(as in damage appearing and everything), ignoring that you hit them first and getting in attacks anyway. I wouldn't be complaining except the fact that it feels like the enemies in that area don't obey the same rules as everything else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mans posted:

It's basically not explained anywhere as far as I can tell, so:

To "properly" dual-wield (instead of just having the benefits of wielding stuff with different movesets in each hand), you need:

1) two weapons of the same type (hammer, greatsword, straight sword, etc.) - they don't need to be identical, so e.g. a mace and a club works
2) that you have 1.5 times the stats for (round up, so a weapon with a min requirement of Str 12 Dex 9 needs Str 18 Dex 14)

Then, you hold the 1h/2h button until the left weapon is held pointing up instead of down. At that point, your L1/L2 will attack with both weapons, but your R1/R2 will be the normal attack with one weapon.

Also worth noting that holding the 1h/2h button lets you two-hand the weapon in your off-hand if you don't meet the above requirements (you can dual-wield a shield if you want).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They bow, I cast firestorm. They ready themselves, I charge out of the flames and bury my claymore in their skull. :black101:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Dual wielding greatswords is literally my favourite thing about Dark Souls 2. One of them already looks ridiculous, it looks like a slab of stone, but then you hold 2 of them at once and slam them down, it's totes ownage.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Can you power stance shields?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cat doter posted:

Dual wielding greatswords is literally my favourite thing about Dark Souls 2. One of them already looks ridiculous, it looks like a slab of stone, but then you hold 2 of them at once and slam them down, it's totes ownage.

Do you mean you can powerstance the greatsword class of weapons or Greatswords themselves, which are classed as ultra-greatswords? 'cause :stare: at the former, :stonklol: at the latter

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I spent half the game thinking you still hit walls to find fake ones. Now you have to hit A/X. I really wish I knew this 20 hours ago.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Leadthumb posted:

Can you power stance shields?

Yes.

Ciaphas posted:

Do you mean you can powerstance the greatsword class of weapons or Greatswords themselves, which are classed as ultra-greatswords? 'cause :stare: at the former, :stonklol: at the latter

You can powerstance ultra-greatswords.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Of course you can powerstance ultra-greatswords. This is Dark Souls.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I've been spending most of my time invading the bell towers and putting down my red sign at the Iron Keep bridge, and I've been winning the vast majority of my PvP; what's the deal? Most people don't even seem to understand the idea behind guard break :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Liquid Penguins posted:

I spent half the game thinking you still hit walls to find fake ones. Now you have to hit A/X. I really wish I knew this 20 hours ago.

Actually, both styles still exist. I hate them both to be frank, I'm not five years old spamming my candle at every bush in Zelda anymore. Thank goodness for messages.

Umberger posted:

You can powerstance ultra-greatswords.

:stonklol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

They bow, I cast firestorm. They ready themselves, I charge out of the flames and bury my claymore in their skull. :black101:

This is the proper method to play dark souls :eng101:

Take notes, class.

Ciaphas posted:

Both :unsmigghh:

Ciaphas posted:

Actually, both styles still exist. I hate them both to be frank, I'm not five years old spamming my candle at every bush in Zelda anymore. Thank goodness for messages.

Luckily this is :darksouls: so both should have a handy orange message right next to them :)

ebony granny posted:

I've been spending most of my time invading the bell towers and putting down my red sign at the Iron Keep bridge, and I've been winning the vast majority of my PvP; what's the deal? Most people don't even seem to understand the idea behind guard break :confused:

Gamers.txt , Have you seen how bad most goons are at reading directions / descriptions? And that's for the things that From overtly explained, things like guard break aren't quite as clear. (Course if you're paying attention you can figure it out really easily)

I much prefer having a bunch of noobs to slaughter to DS1's current environment of SL1 superpros and hackers who instantly backstab you from 20 feet away.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Gutter is a great zone. It's more like Tomb of the Giants than Blighttown.

The zone after The Gutter makes a good replacement for Blighttown. Black Gulch is still great