Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Omerta posted:

Please add to the OP under the "what sort of stuff do lawyers actually do all day" section.

No. This is the kind of thing that makes 0Ls who are "good at arguing" and "regularly read court decisions" choose to go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

MoFauxHawk posted:

No. This is the kind of thing that makes 0Ls who are "good at arguing" and "regularly read court decisions" choose to go to law school.

Hey guys I read Richard Posners's blog and I watched a video of a judge making fun of a lawyer should I go to William and Mary or the University of Washington?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That depiction is a little off. Obviously there would be no yelling. The whole thing is less argumentative and more surreal. The witness should be less nervous and genuinely concerned--more smug that he is smarter than the lawyer.

But pretty accurate in the spirit of tediousness.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I'm so glad I've never had to take a deposition. I have to think that taking one is the only thing more boring than reading the transcript of one.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

I'm so glad I've never had to take a deposition. I have to think that taking one is the only thing more boring than reading the transcript of one.

Taking deps is a fun game where you try to trick a stupid person into saying something stupid in front of a court reporter.

Defending deps, on the other hand, is the slow death of all that is joyful in life.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Nominating for next year's Pulitzers

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The defense attorney's :smuggo: look at the end makes it perfect. :v:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

ThirdPartyView posted:

The defense attorney's :smuggo: look at the end makes it perfect. :v:

He's pretty excellent the whole way through.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Welp, two years later and this thread is still depressing.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The best part of my day is the six seconds when the oscillating fan blows directly at me.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Graduated two days ago, officially start work in 5 days :effort:

I'm starting to feel like I should have taken more than a week of vacation before I started articling.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
John Ennis Freakin Owns

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Is there any sort of industry consensus on which rankings system they prefer? I know USNews gets the press but there at least 5 other websites/orgs doing school rankings and the formulas they use sometimes create different outcomes. Is there any of these secondary rankings that people actually use for reference/measurement or is it all dick waving?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

burf posted:

I should have taken more than a week of vacation before
The answer to this is always "yes."

Congrats on being employed, though!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Is there any sort of industry consensus on which rankings system they prefer? I know USNews gets the press but there at least 5 other websites/orgs doing school rankings and the formulas they use sometimes create different outcomes. Is there any of these secondary rankings that people actually use for reference/measurement or is it all dick waving?

The us news general (no specializations) is the only one anyone cares about.
Does it tell you the "best" probably not, but it will get your rear end hired.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Pook Good Mook posted:

The US News Rankings are the only rankings employers care about. However, that doesn't mean that they should be the only thing you choose in determining what school to attend. Though I don't totally trust their methodology, Above The Law's law school rankings are primarily based on how likely a school is to get you a good job, which should generally be the most important factor for choosing a school to attend. It can help you if you're trying to decide between schools that are very closely ranked. For example, Duke is ranked 10 on US News, but 7 on ATL. So if you're choosing between Duke and a school like Northwestern, which is number 12 on both lists, the ATL rankings help separate them more for you if you're on the fence. Too bad I go to Northwestern.

Edit: Oops, Northwestern is actually 11 on ATL.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 1, 2014

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
JOB OPENING

Chicagoland goons -

I work for a healthcare consulting firm. My group is looking to hire another JD in a consultant role. You would be subordinate to me, but there are several people above me that would boss you around most of the time. If you don't have any prior experience in healthcare then they will probably start you out with a fairly low salary (probably 60-70 base with a year-end bonus that can be huge or can be 1k if no one really likes you but they don't want you to feel left out). If you have prior experience salary goes up.

It's 9-5 and I've literally never worked a weekend.

PM me if interested.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 1, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

You would be subordinate to me
I'm so hard right now

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
-Go to law school
-Find job
-Your boss is a goon

Totally worth 150k.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Jesus, somehow I managed to pass the TX bar on the second try. Unless it's some sort of a trick...(the trick is that I'm now a lawyer).

I'm currently clerking in county gov doing transactional work. Unfortunately, because it's county gov people tend to leave only to 1) retire or 2) die. The attorney slot I was originally going to get is now gone because I failed the first time around and they had to hire internally. The next slot isn't set to open up until November. As an added snag, I believe one of the other clerks wants the same slot and he has better credentials in terms of grades/law review, but I have more direct experience/higher ranked LS. Also, there are two slots open in litigation, but I have no direct lit experience, only a summer's worth of criminal appeals work. My boss said he would put in a word with the head of lit to try to get me working immediately, but if that doesn't work then my only options are waiting until Nov and competing with the other clerk and/or applying like mad outside of my current office.

Thoughts?

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Might want to use this as well - sort for employment outcomes: http://www.lstscorereports.com/national/

They pretty much correlate with the USNews rankings, although you have to watch the school funded rate as well.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Paramour posted:

Might want to use this as well - sort for employment outcomes: http://www.lstscorereports.com/national/

They pretty much correlate with the USNews rankings, although you have to watch the school funded rate as well.

School-funded's really not so bad, especially if you came to law school planning to do public interest. With the public interest fellowships at my school, they pay you 50k and benefits to work at a non-profit or government agency you like for a year. It's not the same as getting permanent employment, but it does give you experience. No, I'm not doing one.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

William Munny posted:

Jesus, somehow I managed to pass the TX bar on the second try. Unless it's some sort of a trick...(the trick is that I'm now a lawyer).

I'm currently clerking in county gov doing transactional work. Unfortunately, because it's county gov people tend to leave only to 1) retire or 2) die. The attorney slot I was originally going to get is now gone because I failed the first time around and they had to hire internally. The next slot isn't set to open up until November. As an added snag, I believe one of the other clerks wants the same slot and he has better credentials in terms of grades/law review, but I have more direct experience/higher ranked LS. Also, there are two slots open in litigation, but I have no direct lit experience, only a summer's worth of criminal appeals work. My boss said he would put in a word with the head of lit to try to get me working immediately, but if that doesn't work then my only options are waiting until Nov and competing with the other clerk and/or applying like mad outside of my current office.

Thoughts?

Just apply to other places and if nothing better comes along then apply for the November slot. None of these things are mutually exclusive

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pros and cons of working for the government:

pro: work from home
pro: started work at 2 pm today
con: working at 10 pm, got a few more hours to go

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Pro of government:
Sick days with no questions

Con of government:
When I leave at noon because I had poo poo to do (this is why I came in, I was actually sick), my boss gives me poo poo for even coming in.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
pro: i'm only working so I get an extra $1000 in my paycheck this biweek

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Good-faith question- Has anyone here ever been involved with cases involving sex workers and police? There is a lot of law reform interest about potential decriminalisation or adoption of the "Nordic model" where clients of sex workers are criminalised instead in Canada & the UK at the moment.

I am from New Zealand where it is decriminalised to a very great extent, sex workers have full labour rights and stuff- police even will assist in situations where clients refuse to pay.

A reasonably radical young group of law students/graduates I know see this as a human rights issue and want to assist groups overseas with New Zealand based materials/support to people interested in decriminalisation reform in their respective jurisdictions. Like- obviously, there are case reports and studies and stuff which anyone can read, but narrative and evidential material from sex workers themselves involved in the process of decriminalisation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jacobin posted:

Good-faith question- Has anyone here ever been involved with cases involving sex workers and police? There is a lot of law reform interest about potential decriminalisation or adoption of the "Nordic model" where clients of sex workers are criminalised instead in Canada & the UK at the moment.

I am from New Zealand where it is decriminalised to a very great extent, sex workers have full labour rights and stuff- police even will assist in situations where clients refuse to pay.

A reasonably radical young group of law students/graduates I know see this as a human rights issue and want to assist groups overseas with New Zealand based materials/support to people interested in decriminalisation reform in their respective jurisdictions. Like- obviously, there are case reports and studies and stuff which anyone can read, but narrative and evidential material from sex workers themselves involved in the process of decriminalisation.
Most of us are from the US. I've represented many an accused prostitute, but we don't have decriminalization or anything near that. Generally the police target the prostitutes more than the johns because it is easier, and they find slut shaming fun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well I've started working at my job for two days and I already have to work this weekend to get some poo poo done for an estate file. I guess this is now my life.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

Most of us are from the US. I've represented many an accused prostitute, but we don't have decriminalization or anything near that. Generally the police target the prostitutes more than the johns because it is easier, and they find slut shaming fun.

In Dallas they go after the johns and not the workers. Police provide intervention programs if the workers volunteer for it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Well I've started working at my job for two days and I already have to work this weekend to get some poo poo done for an estate file. I guess this is now my life.

I've billed 38 hours so far this month.

It can get worse.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Soothing Vapors Presents: A Tribute To Adar

Three years ago:

Monaghan posted:

Just got accepted into the University of Saskatchewan Law school today. It was also my last day at my lovely job.

Pretty good day!

Two years ago:

Monaghan posted:

All this positivity and people saying that their okay with their jobs is freaking me out here guys, get back to the usual negativity.

Also evidence tomorrow then I'm done 2l whooooo.

One year ago:

Monaghan posted:

I'm glad the small firm I'm going to be working at seem relatively normal, most lawyers arrive at 8:30 and leave around 5-5:30.

Today:

Monaghan posted:

May the circle
Be unbroken
By and by, lord
By and by

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Kalman posted:

I've billed 38 hours so far this month.

It can get worse.

It is May 3rd. Please tell me something is wrong here .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

It is May 3rd. Please tell me something is wrong here .

That's 72 hours.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hey I was partly right,they don't work nights, they work sundays!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

For all the annoyances my job has, I am eternally glad I don't have to bill hours. When I was with Innocence Project, we billed, but only in fifteen minute increments. Even that much was enough to make me hate the act. Maybe corporate types have some software or whatever that makes it seem less absurd, or maybe just being able to attach a dollar value to it is good enough, but no thanks.

I suppose the counterpoint is that on the nights I do wind up staying late, I know I'm not getting paid for it AND I'm doing work that no one will ever see or notice, since it's going in my judge's name and he certainly wouldn't notice (or care) about an italicized period. But I'd know. It would be out there haunting me.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Alaemon posted:

For all the annoyances my job has, I am eternally glad I don't have to bill hours. When I was with Innocence Project, we billed, but only in fifteen minute increments. Even that much was enough to make me hate the act. Maybe corporate types have some software or whatever that makes it seem less absurd, or maybe just being able to attach a dollar value to it is good enough, but no thanks.

I suppose the counterpoint is that on the nights I do wind up staying late, I know I'm not getting paid for it AND I'm doing work that no one will ever see or notice, since it's going in my judge's name and he certainly wouldn't notice (or care) about an italicized period. But I'd know. It would be out there haunting me.

what ws the purpose of billing? Just internal records?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pros and cons of being an expat not practicing law

cons: the housing allowance I got for being here is slowly phasing out

pros: GBP-USD has gone up twice as much in the meantime

just saying

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

nm posted:

Ah, yeah, everywhere except the Nevada desert brothels it seems.

This is an unjust state of affairs, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

semicolonsrock posted:

what ws the purpose of billing? Just internal records?

In order to get credit for the clinic, you had to work a certain number of hours per term.