Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thwomp posted:

It's really easy to see that in hindsight but high-level military commanders have had really difficult times adapting to major shifts in military technology throughout history.

The Hardcore History podcast is going through World War 1 right now and the senior leadership of France, Germany, and Britain knew fuckall about how exactly all this new artillery weaponry would impact the battlefield. So their plans just incorporated them without any thought that they may be game-changing.

This goes doubly-so for the use of chemical weapons. The Germans first experiments with Chlorine gas were in early-1915 on the battlefield (and they just opened some tanks on the lines and let the gas flow with the winds to the allied trenches :stare:). They had no idea the gas would kill the numbers it did early on because they couldn't put 2 and 2 together (one being the sheer concentration of soldiers on the front lines and the other being how seriously hosed you were in a trench as gas came pouring down on top of you).

So when Alamos developed the atom bomb, the top brass has no clue, despite any and all warnings the scientists could provide, what exactly this new weapon would do to warfare. So then you get these statements about 10 nuclear weapons to every major and it sounds ridiculous now. But then, I bet he knew fuckall about what putting that many weapons in the field (or in an arsenal, period) would do. Just like the loving Germans fifty years prior.

I think a lot of it is that humans as a whole have a hard time grasping exponential increases.

It's hard for people to intuitively understand the difference between 1 ton, 1,000 (kiloton) and 1,000,000 (megaton) worth of explosives (or anything really). Add in a whole different animal ie radiation, on top of that and it's pretty complex compared to TNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wait, what? Can you go into any more detail on this? I'm middling at best with my military history, but it's not like WW1 was the first place modern artillery was employed by European armies. Things weren't quite what we'd call "modern" in the franco-prussian war (no hydrolic recoil mechanisms that I can think of) but we're solidly into breech-loaded howitzers and out of Napoleonic-era cannons. Prussian artillery in particular was pretty important at both Sedan and the siege of Paris.

I'll believe that their artillery doctrine was a tad outdated (like many doctrines) but I'm not quite sure that I buy that it was some paradigm shift that caught all the various general staffs completely flat footed.

stealie72 posted:

I may be getting it wrong, because it was 3.5 hours of listening, but I think Carlin's discussion of artillery is in regards to generals not really grasping what firing 40,000 rounds a day does to supply lines and how the sheer volume of artillery fire rendered standard infantry tactics useless.

More or less this and my poor phrasing. They knew their new artillery pieces were powerful (case-in-point, the giant fuckoff guns the Germans used to blow Belgian fortresses to bits). But their combat/tactical doctrines couldn't deal with both sides having fuckoff guns using thousands of shells a day.

They literally couldn't think of anything better than shell their position for 3 days, send a mass of troops, and see if it worked.

quote:

edit:

Also, where are you getting that notion? I've never read anything that indicated that anyone in command on either side had no idea that gas would be as terrible as it was. The Germans were trying with various levels of success to deploy it effectively on the eastern front on major concentrations of Russians before they tried it on the western. If anything it seems like they always expected it to be more effective and were dismayed when it failed to cause the catastrophic gaps in the line that they expected. You don't exactly stockpile a couple thousand tons of something relatively rare and wait to deploy it all at once in a major offensive if you think it's going to be ineffective or a mild irritant.

Maybe Carlin's wrong but he put the first experimental usage of gas on the western front as this test that totally surprised the German high command. It was more deadly and lethal than they hoped because the Allies weren't totally unprepared for it (Hague convention and all that).

And the first tests cleared huge gaps in the Allied trenches that the Germans weren't prepared to capitalize on. By the time they started seriously using gas in coordinated attacks, the Allies had masks and preparation to blunt the overall effectiveness.

So you can see why they thought the gas would be more effective than it ended up being based on their early experimental releases that caught enemy soldiers unaware. This is also why you don't test your next strategy/technology on the battlefield.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thwomp posted:

Maybe Carlin's wrong but he put the first experimental usage of gas on the western front as this test that totally surprised the German high command. It was more deadly and lethal than they hoped because the Allies weren't totally unprepared for it (Hague convention and all that).

And the first tests cleared huge gaps in the Allied trenches that the Germans weren't prepared to capitalize on. By the time they started seriously using gas in coordinated attacks, the Allies had masks and preparation to blunt the overall effectiveness.

So you can see why they thought the gas would be more effective than it ended up being based on their early experimental releases that caught enemy soldiers unaware. This is also why you don't test your next strategy/technology on the battlefield.

Well, I'm pretty damned sure the first use of poison gas (as opposed to just tear gas or some other irritant) was against the Russians in Poland/E. Prussia and the first major deployment on the W. Front blew a gap in the lines that they couldn't capitalize on because their own troops wouldn't march into it, followed by a bunch of Canadians stabilizing it a lot faster than expected. Like I said, I'm weak on my milhist so fact check that, but I know I remember there being a canadian angle because I'm pretty sure MikeRock was getting all hot and bothered about it in his Canadian WW1-frenzied way at some point.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Canadians saved everyone's asses during one of the first major deployments of gas.

And I want to say it was prior to widespread gasmask disbursement so they had to use these flannel strips soaked in water.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, the Canadians saved everyone's asses during one of the first major deployments of gas.

And I want to say it was prior to widespread gasmask disbursement so they had to use these flannel strips soaked in water.

Urine actually if I recall. Something about the ammonia neutralising the chlorine gas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Urine actually if I recall. Something about the ammonia neutralising the chlorine gas.

I've always wondered about that. If your piss has that level of urea in it that it's even quasi effective as an ersatz gas mask you are either one dehydrated motherfucker or your diet is crazy high in protein or something else.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We are prolific pissers :canada:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probably the dehydration, considering the trouble modern armies go through to keep troops hydrated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's quite likely that the soldiers haven't taken their clothes off in weeks and their flannel trousers have accumulated enough urea runoff to have visible crystals. Also, I see no reason to see why soldiers of the Great War would be any different from more recent counterparts in that if you command them to specifically pee on something they will take to the task with overwhelming zeal.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's quite likely that the soldiers haven't taken their clothes off in weeks and their flannel trousers have accumulated enough urea runoff to have visible crystals.

I love that you had this thought process

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also, I see no reason to see why soldiers of the Great War would be any different from more recent counterparts in that if you command them to specifically pee on something they will take to the task with overwhelming zeal.

"Good, good.

Now wear it over your face."

"Aw poo poo :saddowns:"

"-and storm a trench full of poison gas"

"It turned out better than we expected"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There was a documentary - or one of those heritage minute maybe - with a dramatization where an officer was just running down the line shouting "PEE ON YOUR HANKERCHIEFS!" Made me really proud of my country :canada:

And now that we're sending 6 - count 'em, six! - CF-18 to Poland, you'd think we're fighting WWI all over again the way CBC's been reporting it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
While we're on the topic of Canadians, what differences are there between "CF" designs and "F" designs? Like, say, the CF-18 vs. the F/A-18 OG Hornet, or the CF-104 vs. the regular F-104? Is it swapping out the engines and flight computers, just making stuff cold-proof and bilingual, or is there no one schema for differences?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We like to paint false canopies on the underside of planes so there is that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

From Wikipedia:

The most visible difference between a CF-18 and a U.S. F-18 is the 0.6 Mcd night identification light. This spotlight is mounted in the gun loading door on the port side of the aircraft. Some CF-18s have the light temporarily removed, but the window is always in place. Also, the underside of the CF-18 features a painted "false canopy".[8] This is intended to momentarily disorient and confuse an enemy in air-to-air combat. Subsequently, the U.S. Marine Corps Aviation and the Spanish Air Force F/A-18s also adopted this "false canopy".[9][verification needed]

Many features that made the F/A-18 suitable for naval carrier operations were also retained by the Canadian Forces, such as the robust landing gear, the arrestor hook, and wing folding mechanisms, which proved useful when operating the fighters from smaller airfields such as those found in the Arctic.[citation needed]

Plus the French word for fighter is Chasseur so...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

I love that you had this thought process

Pimpmust posted:

"Good, good.

Now wear it over your face."

"Aw poo poo :saddowns:"

"-and storm a trench full of poison gas"

"It turned out better than we expected"

I'm a shellback

I can never remember which Korean War book it was (probably this one) where the author mentions how they'd avoid removing any clothing at all for entire weeks-to-months-long stints on the front line, to avoid exposure to the cold. When they rotated to the rear and stripped it all off it was so full of dirt, sweat, gunk, effluent etc that the clothes would practically stand up on their own. They'd strip at one end of the showers, get hosed off, and get issued new clothes on the other side, and the old stuff IIRC got carted off and burned.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slamburger posted:

Its been mentioned before in this thread, but the first nuclear reactor was created in downtown Chicago, unshielded, and uncooled.

Fermi was just like "yeah my calculations are probably correct" :dealwithit:

The first Swedish nuclear reactor was located 27 meters underground on the campus of the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, which isn't exactly downtown, but it's sorta close to it and it's definitely in the middle of a dense urban area. One of the subsequent early-60's production plants was built under a mountain (seeing a pattern here? cold war Sweden loved building things underground) in a Stockholm suburb. Sorta unusually it wasn't primarily an electric plant, but rather mostly intended to produce district heating for the surrounding suburbs. It had a sorta scary incident with a mis-installed valve and a subsequent water leak and power short-circuit in the late 60's and it was shut down in 1974. The site still exists today though, and the exterior of it looks pretty cool.

Control room, as it looked in the 60's.

Main entrance at the bottom of the mountain.

External buildings at the bottom of the mountain; you can see the cooling tower on top of the mountain just above the top of the trees.

Cooling tower on top of the mountain.

Under the cooling tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5faxjZQMHIY

Fly-around of the site with a quadcopter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Plus the French word for fighter is Chasseur so...

hahaha god you know this is the real reason

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

priznat posted:

This is also a thing with Sukhois, presumably for the same reasons

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It seems kind of questionably effective but if it only costs some paint go nuts I guess.

Also lol at the thought of the CF fighters being based from arctic runways requiring arrestor gear. Yeah that'll happen.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
"It's a nice aircraft, but can it operate from a bad 800 meter strip above the arctic circle in winter at -45 degrees Celsius?" is one of those things that has constantly been used as a reason for sticking with indigenous designs over here. ~Swedish conditions~ are the specialest snowflake. Then again the capability was actually there, it worked and it was used in practice. The Gripen can still operate from those 800m strips, even in wet or icy conditions, but there's rarely a reason to do it these days.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think the CF should just unleash a swarm of twin otters if arctic operations are required, otherwise fly the CF-18s out of their Cold Lake base which is practically sub arctic tundra anyway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

priznat posted:

I think the CF should just unleash a swarm of twin otters if arctic operations are required, otherwise fly the CF-18s out of their Cold Lake base which is practically sub arctic tundra anyway.

Yeah between Goose Bay and Cold Lake you'd think we'd have the Arctic pretty covered...

Can an F-18 operate out of a dirt strip? Because the infrastructure up North...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Davin Valkri posted:

While we're on the topic of Canadians, what differences are there between "CF" designs and "F" designs? Like, say, the CF-18 vs. the F/A-18 OG Hornet, or the CF-104 vs. the regular F-104? Is it swapping out the engines and flight computers, just making stuff cold-proof and bilingual, or is there no one schema for differences?

It's just another model...others have pointed out the differences from a standard F/A-18, but there's nothing particular about the "C" preceding the rest of the designation. It's just how the Canadians choose to designate their aircraft (witness the "CC-150" that is an Airbus 310-300 transport/tanker or the "CC-130" that is an otherwise normal C-130 in Canadian service).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FrozenVent posted:

And now that we're sending 6 - count 'em, six! - CF-18 to Poland, you'd think we're fighting WWI all over again the way CBC's been reporting it.

Hey, don't be a hoser, that's a really long flight on a hard seat, eh.

FrozenVent posted:

Not sure about rough field capabilities, but CF-18s kept the arrestor hook for this reason. I don't think they do carrier quals on our boats (though I know the French have done touch-and-gos off of Nimitz-classes in Rafales), but the hook is there to assist in short/icy field landings on Canada's northernmost runways.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered about that. If your piss has that level of urea in it that it's even quasi effective as an ersatz gas mask you are either one dehydrated motherfucker or your diet is crazy high in protein or something else.

I'd bet it was dehydration, going off an anecdote from a British naval constructor about American dreadnoughts marveling about how much fresh water the average American sailor drank. Also the fact that I lived in England for seven years and always had to ask for a glass of water in a restaurant if I wanted one. Any restaurant.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah between Goose Bay and Cold Lake you'd think we'd have the Arctic pretty covered...

...isn't quite as bad as you might expect. The RCAF detaches CF-18s to places like Inuvik, Rankin Inlet, Iqaluit and Yellowknife, all of which have paved runways, aircraft shelters and runway arrestor cables. Yes when you leave those four airports things get a bit dicey infrastructure-wise but they really isn't much more need for additional forward operating locations beyond those four.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Poison gas wasn't quite the linebreaker that it was after gasmasks became widely available, but blister agents like mustard gas could cause horrific damage to any exposed flesh and even light casualties to a unit subjected the survivors to the horror of their friends choking and gurgling on their own rotten lungs-- for green units, this would have been particularly demoralizing. Also worth noting is the value of poison gas artillery shells as a means of harassing and slowing the rate of fire of enemy artillery. If you're loading a 6 or 8 inch howitzer by hand, you're in for a hell of a workout, and having to do that through the confines of a gas hood would have been its own vision of hell. I can only imagine how much fun it would have been in wool or primitive gas gear in the summer of 1917.

In the interests of full disclosure: I'm Canadian and had a relative fight at Vimy, so I share MikeRock's zeal.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd bet it was dehydration, going off an anecdote from a British naval constructor about American dreadnoughts marveling about how much fresh water the average American sailor drank. Also the fact that I lived in England for seven years and always had to ask for a glass of water in a restaurant if I wanted one. Any restaurant.

Coming from the UK I was surprised when I went abroad and they just gave you water with everything

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

priznat posted:

The Americans also dallied in this, briefly;

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

F-16XLs are cool lookin but I don't think they ever went into production/deployment?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

F-16XLs are cool lookin but I don't think they ever went into production/deployment?

Only two were ever built, and they went to NASA for aeronautics research. They were a competing design for the ETF competition that the F-15E won. They've been retired and are shacked up in storage now, I think.

If you go peeking around the Dryden facility on Google Maps/Earth you might see one of them - I found one of them once about 1-2 years ago.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 1, 2014

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I love those stupid underside "canopies". They're just so optimistic :3:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Please, F-16XL dear, please stay!"

"No! I've had it with these tiny potatoes! I'm going to Amerika!"

"But, you are our son! :sweden:"

"You can't stop me, J 35 :dealwithit:"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DeesGrandpa posted:

They look kind of silly in a high res photograph, but look at a thumb nail, imagine it's moving at 400+ mph relative to you, and imagine you're sitting in some funky-rear end early Cold War era AAA mount (or another airplane, whatever).

I'm not going to try to defend it as the best countermeasure since chaff, but if all it takes is a bucket of paint and an hour out of some airman's day, why the hell not?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

They look kind of silly in a high res photograph, but look at a thumb nail, imagine it's moving at 400+ mph relative to you, and imagine you're sitting in some funky-rear end early Cold War era AAA mount (or another airplane, whatever).

It makes a lot of sense for ground strike aircraft potentially going up against AA or MG fire that isn't controlled by radar or other fire control systems.

When a plane rolls to make a hard turn to get out of an area, it's important for AA gunners to know which way they will break. If they misunderstand where the plane will turn, the rounds will be off target given how much you have to lead the planes.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, I'm pretty damned sure the first use of poison gas (as opposed to just tear gas or some other irritant) was against the Russians in Poland/E. Prussia and the first major deployment on the W. Front blew a gap in the lines that they couldn't capitalize on because their own troops wouldn't march into it, followed by a bunch of Canadians stabilizing it a lot faster than expected. Like I said, I'm weak on my milhist so fact check that, but I know I remember there being a Canadian angle because I'm pretty sure MikeRock was getting all hot and bothered about it in his Canadian WW1-frenzied way at some point.

The issue on the western front had to do with the fact that if you're using static cylinders of gas to avoid Hague Convention issues with gas shells, you want the wind to be blowing the right direction. The German high command got tired of waiting for the wind to shift and redeployed the reserves that were supposed to exploit the break in the lines. Also a line of their thinking was pretty much "Who is this Jewish wanna-be officer named Haber, and what makes him think he can dictate strategy?"

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'd love to see an airliner with underside "canopies", just to mess with the chemtrails crowd.

I bet Richard Branson would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, the CCPA released a new report where they found even more costs relating to the Canadian F-35 procurement.

The Cons (a few years ago now) floated the number initially of 14 billion lifetime costs. The PBO then had a look at those numbers and gave an estimate roughly double the Cons figure: 29 billion. The Cons stonewalled and stuck to their original number, even though it was clearly lacking in basic estimates Parliament asked for. Later the Auditor General found that even the Cons were using the estimate of lifetime cost of 25 billion internally - apparently the 14 billion estimate was prolefeed. In the wake of the whole Auditor General's, shall we say, dog-loving revelations about Canada buying the F-35, the Cons "suspended" the F-35 procurement, and fired the DND from the procurement job, and formed a new government committee, and in general told everybody to keep quiet about it and hoped the whole thing blows over. They also contracted KPMG (a accounting firm) to do a new cost estimate on the F-35. KPMG turned in the total lifetime cost of 45 billion.

It turns out even critics and analysts have been estimating the costs of operation as being the same as the CF-18s, even though the US government GAO data an F-35 costs are...more. A Super Hornet costs $15K per hour to fly, while a F-35 in a clever bit of symmetry costs $35K per hour. (The CF-18 BTW costs some 20K per hour to operate - apparently the difference between the Hornet and Super Hornet is mostly due to the CF-18s age.) The Reldieu institute (which is kinda like this thread but rarely uses the term dog-loving) identifies new costs that have been neglected, even by critical parties. These include:

- cost of installing drag chutes so F-35s can use arctic runways;
- cost of getting new munitions and consumables (as the CF-18 and the F-35 apparently use different flares and guns);
- cost of refitting our aerial tankers for air-to-air refueling of the F-35 (apparently the F-35 is the only fighter "under consideration" that can't use our current system). This was apparently dismissed by the DND with some handwaving about "maybe we don't need to spend this money because we could leech off of American tankers or let the private sector handle it (!)"
- cost of having a dedicated computer facility (shared with Australia and Britain) for handling the aircraft's software needs. Yeah, we need a fuckin' computer science center just to keep the stupid things flying-

Factoring in these costs, the lifetime procurement number reaches $56 billion.

Then there are the costs that need to be considered if you are a nation planning on buying fighters from another nation and operating them for three to four decades. It turns out all these costs, while considered, are only ever assessed on a strict "best case scenario" basis. (Because if you were to buy a new car or a house, all your considerations would be along the lines of 'everything gonna come up roses, forever'.) Anyway, two things about these variables - one, they apply to a lesser extent to other American aircraft Canada could buy, though if it bought them most of the costs above vanish. Second, this is future predicting, and obviously nobody can see decades into the future. Still, the forecasting is very disturbing - 10 billion more is anything but peanuts in Canadian defense spending, and the financial factors are risks that could redouble the cost again.

Under a worst-case scenario, the F-35 could have a lifetime cost of $156 billion, that's with interest rates at 10%, inflation at 10%, and a Canadian dollar at 60 cents to a American one. I'm no big brain when it comes to economics, but I do dabble a bit, and I think these numbers really are a conceivable worst case - not anything that would actually happen. For one, having really high inflation and really high interest is I think mutually exclusive; you can have one or the other, but not both. But (and this is an important thing to note) lesser permutations of these costs are not only possible, but likely. Canada(like most of the industrialized world) is in a liquidity trap right now - and the only way to get out of that, and the debt fueled economic expansion that's been going on since the early 2000s, is with higher inflation. If we have higher inflation, then that means that our dollar will suffer compared to the American one (though I guess it's possible the Americans could choose to go this route too, which might cancel it out.) Anyway, amateur econ aside, deviations from standard inflation seem likely.

And already alarmingly expensive, the F-35 then has the capacity to literally bankrupt the Canadian military. How to pay for the magic fighters? No more navy? Give up having military bases outside of upper Canada? It's not like the existing forces are lavishly funded to begin with - establish a financial vortex somewhere, and suddenly really basic capacities vanish. The technological risks and attendant costs have been discussed at length around here regarding Canada getting F-35s, but it turns out these risks could be compounded with financial ones.