Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

If you're a fan of Jay Stephens' stuff then here's some good news. AdHouse books is having a sale and you can pick up his solo book, Welcom to Oddville, for half off.

And there's this...

TCAF posted:

TCAF Announces 2014 Kick-Off Event: Lynn Johnston and Kate Beaton, In Conversation
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival is delighted to announce its official ‘Kick-off’ event for the 2014 Festival,“Lynn Johnston and Kate Beaton, In Conversation”. The event will feature two Canadian cartooning dynamos discussing their art and craft, and the changes the industry and medium has been changed over the past three decades and with the advent of new technologies. TCAF is also happy to official unveil our 3rd poster for 2014, by Lynn Johnston herself!

“Lynn Johnston and Kate Beaton, In Conversation” will take place Friday, May 9th, 2014, at Toronto Reference Library in The Bram and Bluma Appel Salon, 789 Yonge Street, 2nd floor. The event runs from 7:30pm-8:30pm (doors open to the public at 7:00pm), and a signing with both creators will follow. The event is free to attend, and tickets are available now at http://tcaf2014kickoff.eventbrite.com

Pentaro posted:

Could someone please Red-and-Rover this one for me? What's so embarrasing about hot-dogs? :psyduck:
:eng101: the mom is a bad frogger...

root fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Am I the only one who finds it weird that the dad in FW calls his daughter Barbie?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

The mystery is resolved...on a Wednesday. Which means that we get to wallow in it for another three days.

We all knew this was going to be resolved this way, but I am still filled with rage and loathing at this loving comic.

Hey guess what, people can be awesome to their kids and absolute fucktards to the rest of the world, who'd have thunk it?!?:argh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He's turned Phil Fumble into a loving karate man. Phil "" Fumble.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Just for variety, here's a bonus from May 2, 1956: Droodles, by Roger Price. Price was a writer for the Bob Hope show in the 40s (when Hope still had some snap left in his elastic) and later became one third of name on the door for publishing firm Price Stern Sloan. He was also half-inventor of Mad Libs.

Stern described Droodles as "a borkley-looking sort of drawing that doesn't make any sense until you know the correct title," and to live up to that description they were usually kind of abstract sketches. The most famous one these days gave the cover and title to Frank Zappa's "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch".

Does this look like something you could get behind? Because I'm pretty sure I could find a few more.
This seems pretty interesting, so if you post more, that'd be great.

I hope someone records that TCAF panel.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Kate Beaton and Lynn Johnston: the alpha and omega of Canadian comic strippery.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I guess the only way for the plot about my father, John Darling, to end now is having the daughter go crush the last bit of joy that the plant-man has and be a huge smug douche about it while she tells him about how wrong he is. I can only hope that the plant-man strangles the oval office.

E: Also poo poo's gettin' real up in Prince Val. Get 'im, Slith!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Just what I was thinking. I just registered for this. Genuine fan of Beaton, seeing Lynn for the lols.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ensign_Ricky posted:

We all knew this was going to be resolved this way, but I am still filled with rage and loathing at this loving comic.

Hey guess what, people can be awesome to their kids and absolute fucktards to the rest of the world, who'd have thunk it?!?:argh:

This particular point of the arc is making me SO MAD at Batiuk. He has such a hard on for emotional pain, but completely missed an opportunity to make a murderer break down with regret after decades in prison. Nope, can't have an actual moment of dramatic tension, sadness, and character growth when someone has a moment to realize he took a daddy away from his little girl. Offscreen that poo poo, because this guy's gotta stay a Snidely Whiplash, woman on train tracks cartoon villain forever!

Crippling depression is the one loving thing you do, Batiuk, and you're not even good at it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Lynn is actually a really good cartoonist who just happens to hate her family, an unrelated aspect.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Dragongem posted:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the dad in FW calls his daughter Barbie?

Yeah? It's a pretty common nickname for Barbara. It's what my grandmother calls my aunt. :shrug:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, I just feel it's incredibly out of place for a strip like Ham shears. When the strip first started, everyone was all " Oh they must be dating" because obviously if two 20 something women are in an apartment together, it must mean they're gay!
Although, honestly it feels like the writer went " gently caress, I have no idea where to take this strip now" and just lost steam. That diamond story lasted way to loving long.

We've been over this in the thread at least once. It was heavily foreshadowed and I'm thrilled because A) they're adorable and B) a relatively normal lesbian relationship in a relatively mainstream comic strip!

I hate it when people constantly devalue my relationship with my girlfriend by acting as though the two of us are just friends.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

drat it Philchrist. That dog should be strapped into a harness. You're endangering yourself and that animal!

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Green Intern posted:

drat it Philchrist.
There we have it!
Phil is now Gilchrist's Mary Sue. Now we know what to expect...

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ahhh, long day at work and I think imgur is working again. Let's get to the Much Delayed Comix (sorry RandomFerret.)

Cul-de-sac Petey's Neuroses has made them all prisoners.

The Creeps TIM

Candor ING ville

Darren Bell, I hope you are reading this. You are a lazy, LAZY man. Shame on you.

Broom Hilda kinda reminds me of mother goose and grimm when it was good.

...which was never, apparently.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look at that first panel. He's not even driving on the road!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Shugojin posted:

Look at that first panel. He's not even driving on the road!

Like any other good ol' boy, Phil is spending a Saturday muddin' on his friend's dad's land and getting lost in deep introspection. :911:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps TIM

Another crucial metajoke from The Creeps. I am starting to wonder how many jokes I have missed.

The creator of that strip sure is playful and I appreciate it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Poor Gordon. All he wanted out of this trip was some quiet fishing time.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (February 9, 1927)

That middle panel is beautiful in its satanic negativity. There must be something wrong with nature indeed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps TIM

Here's yesterday's for the lazy/forgetful/out-of-the-loop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cobalt impurity posted:

Yeah? It's a pretty common nickname for Barbara. It's what my grandmother calls my aunt. :shrug:
Her name is Jessica.

I find it weird and vaguely creepish, and the phrasing of his last words even more so, but it's in keeping with the character of her father, John Darling.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh for the love of...

Rex Morgan MD

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Oh for the love of...

I don't see how Mary had anything to do with this. I mean, him needing help is blind luck, and in this economy he should be having people lining up to apply after saying that.

Maybe Mary has been sending his old help to sleep with the fishes?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I realise it's supposed to be his hair, but that guy looks like he's wearing a tiara.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Why is Jessica saying to her mother "You obviously didn't get your camera skills from me"? :psyduck:

Ginger Meggs

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

I don't see how Mary had anything to do with this. I mean, him needing help is blind luck, and in this economy he should be having people lining up to apply after saying that.

Maybe Mary has been sending his old help to sleep with the fishes?

Ah, but it was her meddling that made Iris comfortable with admitting that her son was a useless young person who needed the guiding hand of an older person to find his way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex, look at her eyes. Your wife has been replaced by a skrull.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Ginger Meggs

So how does he lean back for three panels straight without falling backward?

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Triple plus thumbs up for The Mountain Goats shout out - and in a perfect place. And one of my favorites to boot.
Now the big question - does putting John Darnielle lyrics on Guy Gilchrist trash neutralize out the crappitude? or even maybe rise above it? Could that panel now even be considered good?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Maybe I should try using Saturday morning cartoon lines on my mom.

Retail

My mind immediately went to Battleship actually...

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Tentacle-hair fish monster is the most horrific. Go with that.

Dustin

Dustin's mom is a for-real professional radio show host and she's not just hosting a podcast out of her son's bedroom. Just like Steve Kelley is a legit professional stand-up comedian, hard as it may be to believe.

On the Fastrack

She'll "chew you out", so to speak.

Safe Havens

...Become a vengeful creator?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

...Become a vengeful creator?

And since when does Samantha even know what "ethics" means?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So, is Wilbur's new forever-wife going to take the job without even thinking of her son, then wondering why the guy can't get work?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

I don't get all this grief. I mean, shouldn't you be good friends with somebody before getting intimate? My wife and I were friends and drinking buddies for about 5 years, and we ended up married. Seems to work just fine.

Non Sequitur

Bleh. Dumb.

Double shot of Heavenly Nostrils, 4/30 and today

Kliban's Cats

Hey look! It's the Rock-cattes! :downsrim:

9 Chickweed Lane 5/1/2003

Yes, you should feel sorry for yourself, Juliette, nobody else ever gets bills. Just you.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Yeah, make sure you completely forget all your kids that were mercilessly slaughtered to make 2x4s.

Nemi

:3:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Awright, let's get this going:
First the good:

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Then the bad:

Candorville

Broom Hilda

As bad comics go, I think Broom Hilda's much better than candorville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I don't get all this grief. I mean, shouldn't you be good friends with somebody before getting intimate? My wife and I were friends and drinking buddies for about 5 years, and we ended up married. Seems to work just fine.

1) People worry that if you break up with someone, you won't be able to be friends anymore, which will cause problems both for you and everyone in your social circle who now has to avoid putting both of you in the same room.
2) Friendship is frequently seen as being a completely distinct thing from romantic love and there's a worry that you might be mixing the two up.
3) A lot of people think there's supposed to be some kind of "spark" or instant connection that you feel with a romantic partner, and if you had felt that for your friend, why weren't you already dating before?
4) Everyone in Jane's World is hopelessly neurotic and worries about everything all the time whether there's a good reason to or not.

• Locked thread