Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Speaking of comedies, Playing House. Pilot was pretty cute, but the second episode was loving hysterical. Bird Bones is an awesome character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

TVIV poster doesn't understand that different people like different things, full story at 11.

Smug internet poster doesn't understand hyperbole, check your local listings for stupid cliched ending to this sentence.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Almost Human was the most bland, lovely cop show I can imagine. Nothing about it was interesting, even the central dynamic had been done before except now it has a lazy android paint job applied over the cracks.

The fact that anyone is disappointed it got cancelled or that people say it's the best show in years is baffling to me.

Dancing on the grave of a show you didn't care for is kind of the same thing in that it's baffling only also way more assholeish and unnecessary.

I'm not surprised it got canceled, it was fun though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know that they won't put anything I truly care about in that timeslot, so whether it lives or dies truly made zero difference to my life. The first episode was OK but nothing that made me want to get deeper in to be honest.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I watched a couple of episodes of Almost Human. It was OK I guess. The sad is thing is is that if it was just a procedural set in the current day starring the exact same actors it would a) be just as watchable and b) still be on TV probably.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

edit: not to jinx it, but if the show stays this good, it'll be like 'WHAT Detective?' HBO make a premium miniseries with gigantic movie stars and then two months later FX kick their rear end with Martin Freeman. I love it.

I wouldn't say the two are very comparable but I would agree that on balance I'm enjoying Fargo more than I enjoyed any episode of True Detective.

Billy Bob Thornton is clearly Satan!!!! :supaburn:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Following the most recent episode Satan distanced himself from Lorne Malvo, tweeting "not the dog! too far man. just too far" late last night.

Personally I thought Malvo's work was hilarious.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Bown posted:

I'll admit I'm really bad at accepting other POVs. I try not to be an rear end in a top hat about it on here (obviously I don't always succeed) but things like people preferring Orphan Black and Arrow over Mad Men (or whatever, that type of drama) don't make any sense to me. I can understand the reasoning but there's always one little part in the back of my head like "...but that's just dumb." It's actually kinda lovely, I would much prefer to be able to accept all opinions, but hey.

I have no problem with that. I would have a problem if someone were to say they are better shows than MM, but I could easily see someone finding those shows more enjoyable.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
We all have a finite number of hours in our days/lives; we should probably spend them doing/watching/reading things we actually enjoy rather than things we have just been told are 'great'.

As well, it shouldn't matter if someone thinks x show is 'better' than y show (versus 'merely' finding x show more enjoyable than y show), because they're effectively the same thing anyway. "This show better fits what I'm looking for in television than that show." Whether or not one is more critically acclaimed, has better acting, has landed more prestigious nominations/awards, etc. is irrelevant if the person doing the 'comparing' finds it a boring slog of a whole. Of course they're going to say the fun, peppy genre show is 'better'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I have no problem with that. I would have a problem if someone were to say they are better shows than MM, but I could easily see someone finding those shows more enjoyable.

Every show is more enjoyable than Mad Men, even if few are better.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Silicon Valley is the best new comedy, y'all. Something that admitting to is kinda painful, in a year of Review, Broad City, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Breaking news from Hulu's upfronts:

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Everquest beat them to that one what, 10 years ago?

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Everquest beat them to that one what, 10 years ago?

I remember being a kid watching Recess, TJ was all 'We could grow up to be losers, sat at home ordering pizza over the internet' and now that joke is a reality.

I suppose back then they assumed that ordering pizza over the internet would be some super-difficult thing only elite hackers could do. Oh how times have changed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Silicon Valley is the best new comedy, y'all. Something that admitting to is kinda painful, in a year of Review, Broad City, etc.

It's good, with moments of being really good, but 4 episodes in and the only one I've truly loved so far was the third episode.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

Breaking news from Hulu's upfronts:

You know, I always loved when the simple act of pumping gas became a gauntlet of "special offers" like car washes and fuel additives that you had to actively decline. Glad to see Hulu is bringing that experience to television :downsbravo:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You know, I always loved when the simple act of pumping gas became a gauntlet of "special offers" like car washes and fuel additives that you had to actively decline. Glad to see Hulu is bringing that experience to television :downsbravo:

Chances are you'll be finished with your show before Pizza Hut comes knocking on your door.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Chances are you'll be finished with your show before Pizza Hut comes knocking on your door.

Not with the length of Hulu's commercial breaks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You mean Hulu is bringing that to non-televisions.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

I like it a lot too, but have you seen Brooklyn 99?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't watched this weeks SV, simply because Veep tore that sector a new one so well it would've been exhausting to watch it straight after.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Aphrodite posted:

You mean Hulu is bringing that to non-televisions.

Not if you subscribe to their mostly lackluster premium service and have a compatible device to play it on!

IRQ posted:

I like it a lot too, but have you seen Brooklyn 99?

I think we're talking about 2014 new shows as opposed to the traditional TV season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was thinking, would it be worth making a stickied thread that acts like an index and links through to individual show threads? Sometimes it can be a pain finding them, or if it's done in categories people might find new shows they hadn't heard of.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was thinking, would it be worth making a stickied thread that acts like an index and links through to individual show threads? Sometimes it can be a pain finding them, or if it's done in categories people might find new shows they hadn't heard of.

I say yes to get one step closer to the Page 1 Full Stickies dream

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've dreamed of such a day. That day might be a Sunday I've noticed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you sticky one thread that links to all the other show threads you don't need to sticky anything anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've dreamed of such a day. That day might be a Sunday I've noticed.

The Seth MacFarlane Feedbag definitely does its part.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

If you sticky one thread that links to all the other show threads you don't need to sticky anything anymore.

I find the individual show stickies are useful when you know what day a show airs but don't know if there's a new episode that night. I tend to use TV Calendar for that mind, as it's really customisable and has a subscribable calendar export. If only it synced to XBMC...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just think the whole page being stickies is dumb especially if it's a show nobody watches like From Dusk Till Dawn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

I just think the whole page being stickies is dumb especially if it's a show nobody watches like From Dusk Till Dawn.

Why does it matter? Everyone uses bookmarks anyway, surely :confused:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It doesn't matter. I just wanted to poo poo on From Dusk Till Dawn.

#parksandrec #bestcomedyontv

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re Silicon Valley: I like it a bunch so far but I don't feel like it really has its own personality yet, especially considering its creator. All the tech jokes, and the way they act, are basically exactly what I would have expected from the premise. Agreed that episode 3 is the best so far because it's the only one with plots that truly feel like they came from Mike Judge's brain (the Peter Gregory Burger King thing and especially Bachman's spirit quest).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is there any interest in a general streaming thread? I'm a crazy person who somehow ended up with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime so I was thinking about writing up an OP for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I made a stab at the index thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630265&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post429014601

Please help me populate it with as many shows as we cover, it'll be handy to have everything organised in the same place I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MrAristocrates posted:

Is there any interest in a general streaming thread? I'm a crazy person who somehow ended up with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime so I was thinking about writing up an OP for that.

Make one. There's one in Cinema Discusso but it would be nice to have one just for TV.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

I made a stab at the index thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630265&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post429014601

Please help me populate it with as many shows as we cover, it'll be handy to have everything organised in the same place I think.

What about Archive links to past seasons?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

See the style guide in the second post. An example is The Simpsons as I've linked the current season and the quotes thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Make one. There's one in Cinema Discusso but it would be nice to have one just for TV.

The CD Netflix thread has more people raving about Rectify than this entire forum. :colbert:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cedric the Entertainer is stepping down as the host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, citing the show's move to Connecticut.

Deadline is reporting that Terry Crews may be offered the gig. And I swear to God, if he hosts it in Old Spice mode I will move to CT and attend every taping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rectify, I believe that it's probably good, but it's one of those shows with no curb appeal.

• Locked thread