Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

While it takes about a million years to update, I heard that some goons gave free uncommon/commons etc to MTGO newbies like myself, does that still happen? My MTGO name is BluDragoon, going to try and learn how to play this as I go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Samael posted:

While it takes about a million years to update, I heard that some goons gave free uncommon/commons etc to MTGO newbies like myself, does that still happen? My MTGO name is BluDragoon, going to try and learn how to play this as I go along.

I've got like, 3000 draft orphans in my collection and you're welcome to whatever you want when I get home from work, add tha_snazzle to your buddy list.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've got like, 3000 draft orphans in my collection and you're welcome to whatever you want when I get home from work, add tha_snazzle to your buddy list.

Great! Thanks, added you :)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tharizdun posted:

^ Man that's a lovely list of bad/common wraths and P3K cards that reprints won't affect the original's price of. Missed opportunity to inject some Wastelands and/or Rishidan Ports, IMO
They actually can. Witness, like that commenter, the Gold Rush. Tons of people thought they had the inside line and bet big on moving to San Francisco to stake a claim, but none of them actually made any money.

Speculators who have just enough money to get in the game but not enough to actually move any real dials are completely capable of hoovering up enough cards to make things go from bulk rare to 'card you have to think about adding to your cart' without ever actually increasing demand enough to make actual barons (like SZO, SCG and CK) raise their buylist prices.

It's the MtG equivalent of "bitcoinsGhave's are going up uP UP!"

The problem with this logic is that the price was going up no matter who did it. The cards supply has been creeping down and demand for Commander remains strong. Commander 2013 only helped demand for Commander 2011 cards. Ghave was going up. Travis just bough some first, then sold them later when the price went up. Your going with the line that because Travis, and others like him, bought Ghave's the prices went up. Thats a fine story but for that to be true, here is something that also has to be true. All the online retailers, CFB, SCG, and so on that raised their buylist prices, have to believe in a false demand for Ghave. Basically they are ALL WRONG and the card really shouldn't be higher priced, so they're throwing their money away to Travis for a $4 card that shouldn't be buylisting at $5 and retailing for $10. Is that what you think?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stinky Pit posted:

Imperial Seal is 800 dollars because its an incredibly rare card that has a powerful effect. While we don't know the exact print run for P3K but we do know it was the smallest print run from the Portal line, a product already with a small print run compared to typical sets its very likely that its print run is far closer to the 50 Million for ABU Combined than it is for say, Odyssey. Its not surprising Imperial Seal is so expensive.

No doubt it's both rare and good which is why it was a $150 card until CFB cornered the market on them and jumped it to $800 over the span of three months at the end of '11.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Greed can be seen as a motivating factor for a lot, but you should really be aware of Ambition's Cost. When you go to the Bargaining Table sometimes you realize that your Wheeling and Dealing can really Overburden you. What seems like a Windfall may end up being a source of Distress, and the High Market sometimes just ends up being a series of Mind Games. I can appreciate that the Merchant Scroll at hand wasn't just revealing some Tricks of the Trade or some Trade Secrets but rather a Revelation with regards to the Diminishing Returns that exist in Reality.

Really, I just don't get why anyone would have so much Anger about some Quiet Speculation.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 30, 2014

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

This is up further on the page.
Sorry, I didn't realize anyone actually read anything I wrote unless I made a point to share it.

Regardless of what any of you took from the article, the intent was to illustrate how difficult it actually can be to turn a profit on a spec even when everything goes right. If anything it should dissuade people from doing it. It most certainly wasn't telling filthy casuals to stay out of my business.

The misconception that some of you are carrying, and that many in the market are carrying, is that speculators can meaningfully move a market. That just isn't possible. Sometimes those individuals can temporarily spike a card's price but without real demand from real players the price won't stick, buylists won't increase because nobody is buying the card from stores, and it will be back to the original price within a week or two. We've seen it time and time again.

I've been considering writing about the perceived and real impact speculators can have on the market ever since the Bitterblossom unbanning and people flipped out about this supposed evil cabal. I don't know that it will change anyone's mind but at least I'll know I put it out there.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
So how good a time is this for getting your playset of snapcaster mages and cryptic commands?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Mordieth posted:

So how good a time is this for getting your playset of snapcaster mages and cryptic commands?

It's not going to get any better until after August, and it may in fact never get better.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Snapcasters will only keep going up, I'm sure of that.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mordieth posted:

Worse than October of last year, better than anytime until they reprint them or ban them from modern.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah that was my impression aswell, don't suppose there is a chance of cryptic command ever going out of style either

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The announcement says that there will be 6 cards with new art. The 'spoiler' has 8.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

vOv posted:

The announcement says that there will be 6 cards with new art. The 'spoiler' has 8.

No, it has six.

Armageddon (new art)
Upheaval
Firespout (new art)
Child of Alara
Virtue's Ruin
Rolling Earthquake
Wrath of God (new art)
Smokestack ( new art)
Burning of Xinye
Cataclysm (new art)
Living death (new art)
Decree of Annihilation

The first list incorrectly identified Decree of Annihilation as having new art, but it doesn't.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 30, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No doubt it's both rare and good which is why it was a $150 card until CFB cornered the market on them and jumped it to $800 over the span of three months at the end of '11.

This doesn't happen. Not with Imperial Seal not with SCG and Underground Sea or whatever imagined conspiracy the MTG community thinks is happening. It's not a good way to make money when you're a retailer with the kind of presence that CFB or SCG has. In order to accomplish the goal of getting to set your own price you'd have to spend so much time and money. You'd be better served selling every Imperial Seal you bought at 100 dollars, for 150, then you would be buying enough Imperial Seals that you could then sell a few for 800 now and again. If the demand didn't exist to take the price past 150 normally, sure you might be able to strong arm a few sales at 800 but your sales are going to be much much lower.

CFB charges 800 dollars for the card because when they want to buy it from someone else it costs them 400+ dollars, not because they have a secret chest at their headquarters with 3000 copies.

It's easy to think "Well if I have every copy of a card, I can ask whatever I want for it" but that doesn't mean youll make money. If I somehow got my hands on every single copy of Vizzerdrix in the entire world it might be rare enough that people might be willing to pay a few dollars for it, but I wouldn't be able to sell enough copies to ever make back what I spent getting all those loving cards.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 30, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Quick get in these events everyone!
So uh, stupid question. I can sign out once I'm in the events, right? Or do I hope I don't crash in the next few days.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Quick get in these events everyone!
So uh, stupid question. I can sign out once I'm in the events, right? Or do I hope I don't crash in the next few days.

Yes, you will remain signed on them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That ftv thing is obviously fake for several reasons:

- It conveniently avoids showing the salient parts of the new frame in all the cards except the fully spoiled one
- It's god drat blurry in tyool 2014
- And the real kicker: The cards aren't even foil....

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
The frenzy for those free spots apparently caused many other people to freeze or crash, including a bunch of people streaming.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spectral Werewolf posted:

The frenzy for those free spots apparently caused many other people to freeze or crash, including a bunch of people streaming.

Numot sitting on priority for 5 minutes was pretty amusing I guess.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
My BTT draft just completely froze on me for 10 minutes. And I can't log into wizards to file a reimbursement yet. Everything is on fire?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can just picture the scene at WOTC HQ:

"God dammit, we forgot the 'adequately reinforce the servers' step AGAIN?!"

Then Worth Wollpert throws his hat on the ground and stomps on it while a laugh track plays

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Both Modern Masters events—that's 512 people—filled in under a minute.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Turns out, people love freerolls. Just wait until they actually fire, there are going to be so many no-shows.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Applebees posted:

Both Modern Masters events—that's 512 people—filled in under a minute.
I'm so not used to MODO that I sat in the first MMA queue for about 15 seconds wondering if I was in or not, then by the time I realised there was a 'Join' button it filled up. :negative:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I thought I managed to join an MMA queue while tehre was still room but for some reason I never actually got a spot. Guess the numbers were lagging pretty hard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

I can just picture the scene at WOTC HQ:

"God dammit, we forgot the 'adequately reinforce the servers' step AGAIN?!"

Then Worth Wollpert throws his hat on the ground and stomps on it while a laugh track plays

MTGO has been running on the same Pentium 4 Inspiron tower since 2002. "Downtime" is when they have to reboot it.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
These free events are probably gonna tank shadowmoor/eventide singles a bit, no? 12000 plus packs being opened at once seems kinda nuts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boy of Joy posted:

These free events are probably gonna tank shadowmoor/eventide singles a bit, no? 12000 plus packs being opened at once seems kinda nuts.

Imagine my surprise when Cursecatchers tank to 50 cents.

Oh wait.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Does Burning Tree Emissary count as 4 devotion for Xenagod? I can't find a legal source on it to show a friend.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

OssiansFolly posted:

Does Burning Tree Emissary count as 4 devotion for Xenagod? I can't find a legal source on it to show a friend.

Guild mana only counts once. I can't cite the rule or why, but I do know that for a fact.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are only two mana symbols so it can only count twice.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

From BNG FAQ:

quote:

Your devotion to two colors is equal to the number of mana symbols that are the first color, the second color, or both colors among the mana costs of permanents you control. Specifically, a hybrid mana symbol counts only once toward your devotion to its two colors. For example, if the only nonland permanents you control are Xenagos, God of Revels and Rubblebelt Raiders (whose mana cost is 1 ManaRed or Green ManaRed or Green ManaRed or Green Mana), your devotion to red and green is five.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

OssiansFolly posted:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg%2Fdaily%2Ffeature%2Fjourneyintonyxmechanics#anchor7

Specifically states in the devotion section that hybrid mana counts for devotion to both colors but only as one devotion period. So one R/U would contribute one devotion to red, one devotion to blue, and one devotion to red/blue.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

OssiansFolly posted:

Not an official ruling, but it is the best I could find:

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/02/devotion-to-two-colors-and-hybrid-symbols/

It can be two devotion of one or the other but not both simultaneously.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

traslin posted:

Not an official ruling, but it is the best I could find:

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/02/devotion-to-two-colors-and-hybrid-symbols/

It can be two devotion of one or the other but not both simultaneously.

And because that statement is slightly misleading, it can count for both Nylea and Purphoros simultaneous. It provides 2 devotion to every card that cards about your devotion to red, green, or red and green.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

cheetah7071 posted:

And because that statement is slightly misleading, it can count for both Nylea and Purphoros simultaneous. It provides 2 devotion to every card that cards about your devotion to red, green, or red and green.

Yea I got that.

Thanks for the links.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is your general's color identity static or dynamic throughout the corse of the game? Can you gift a Celestial Dawn to a non white player and shut him down?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's static; the comp rules say "Color identity is established before the game begins" (903.4a). Celestial Dawn won't add White to it, and the non-White player will only be able to make colorless mana off of her new Plains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
WTF. I totally could have played in those events but they're all full up. I hate you wotc.

• Locked thread