Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Red Crown posted:

I'm really not enjoying Iron Keep at all. Is there somewhere else I can go? I've done Sinner, Scorpioness, Covetous Demon, and the serpent thing in Harvest Valley recently.

If you can stand it long enough, just kill Old Iron King and move on, since you need his soul/the primal bonfire (Smelter Demon is optional). Otherwise, like the other poster mentioned there are more areas beyond the Scorpioness and then you'll eventually have to go into the Majula pit.

Since you've already done Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak, there's an NPC there who will move to Majula (once you exhaust his dialogue) and will build you ladders into the pit for the right price if you're interested,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's not even a boss in Sol and the best piece of loot, Immolation, can be obtained elsewhere. It's completely pointless if you don't want to fight bellboys.

Not true. Sol is the only place you can get the Black Knight Greatsword (which is the Black Knight Sword from Dark Souls, the BKGS is now called the Black Knight Ultragreatsword). It also has a black phantom NPC who drops a unique set of armor, a unique weapon, and grants you kill credit for the Bell Keeper covenant.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
You should trespass just based on the fact that you can kill the cops.

gently caress the cops.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Umberger posted:

Not true. Sol is the only place you can get the Black Knight Greatsword (which is the Black Knight Sword from Dark Souls, the BKGS is now called the Black Knight Ultragreatsword). It also has a black phantom NPC who drops a unique set of armor, a unique weapon, and grants you kill credit for the Bell Keeper covenant.

Probably should be noted that the black phantom NPC is a really rare spawn.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a way to make crossbows good for anything beyond plinking/pulling, since they don't scale? Can you infuse them and scale that way? How about if you don't have good int/faith?

I made a dual-wielding falchion/crossbow dex-type dude and he's just strictly inferior (both the falchion and the crossbow are absolute garbage) to my enchanted longsword/pyro main. I think I'm missing something.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
What's the best way to get awestones in the covenant of champions? Are there any respawning phantoms in NG or would I have to use ascetics?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Probably should be noted that the black phantom NPC is a really rare spawn.

He is, but don't you worry, people have figured out this one weird tip to know when he spawns.

Apparition posted:

What's the best way to get awestones in the covenant of champions? Are there any respawning phantoms in NG or would I have to use ascetics?

The Fextralife Wiki has a few good methods. Looks like to properly farm it without PVP you'll need to use Ascetics eventually though.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 1, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
If I'm a rat bro, will the rats in the sewers still attack me? If I'm a rat bro, will my abyss ring still work?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Umberger posted:

You can grind the petrifying Kobolds for all the Black Knight weapons, along with Affinity and another spell I think, but it is tedious. So if you'd rather fare with possible invasions then yeah go to Sol for it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

neetengie posted:

You can grind the petrifying Kobolds for all the Black Knight weapons, along with Affinity and another spell I think, but it is tedious. So if you'd rather fare with possible invasions then yeah go to Sol for it.

If people are going to be that big of babies about running through an area with the potential of being invaded then they should just suck it up and unplug their ethernet cable for the five minutes it takes. :colbert:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

alarumklok posted:

Is there a way to make crossbows good for anything beyond plinking/pulling, since they don't scale? Can you infuse them and scale that way? How about if you don't have good int/faith?

I made a dual-wielding falchion/crossbow dex-type dude and he's just strictly inferior (both the falchion and the crossbow are absolute garbage) to my enchanted longsword/pyro main. I think I'm missing something.

Infuse them to be Raw. Raw ups damage but reduces scaling, and since crossbows don't scale... Though they do gain scaling of an element if you infuse them with said element.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just finished getting all the 4 souls and remembered there were some salamanders way back in the Forest of the Gaints, so I though I'm gonna smack 'em one. Well, they're pretty fuckin tough :stare: Beat them nevertheless, scoured the whole area and still can't figure out how to open the door in their lair. Any ideas?

Anyway, they're really well done, probably the scariest enemy for me so far.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

lordfrikk posted:

I just finished getting all the 4 souls and remembered there were some salamanders way back in the Forest of the Gaints, so I though I'm gonna smack 'em one. Well, they're pretty fuckin tough :stare: Beat them nevertheless, scoured the whole area and still can't figure out how to open the door in their lair. Any ideas?

Anyway, they're really well done, probably the scariest enemy for me so far.

The key is in Iron Keep, under the first bullhead that breathes fire.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Whats the best way to min/max weapon scaling? I've got a +10 mace, and I basically just want it to do the most damage possible. I'm not averse to re-speccing. Lightning + Faith?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

If all you want is the ring, play offline in the belfry. You'll just get invaded by an NPC chumps.

Pssh. I may be a coward but at least I have my dignity.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

How are people dealing with guys in PvP that just hide behind a shield, but backtrack all the time so the guard break (which has pathetic range) never hits? Especially since everybody at the high levels seems to rock full havels, so they have high stability and poise and you can't just grind them down with caesti or something.

e: Guess I'll see how Shotel's treating me

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is a good look for me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

How do you swap arrows anyway?

Oh wow caught my first hacker. He was invincible.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Light attack does one type, heavy attack the other.

e:VVV I still get summoned decently often at 2M, especially for the smelter boss. Looking Glass Knight is also a decent zone for just multiplayer in general, tons of invasions and good sunbroing.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 1, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

god I hate how soul memory affects co-op too. I just want to help people with the power of the sun but my soul memory is already 1.5m at iron keep :(

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

FASHION SOULS YOU SAY?

Cardboard Box posted:

god I hate how soul memory affects co-op too. I just want to help people with the power of the sun but my soul memory is already 1.5m at iron keep :(
I hate Soul Memory, I enjoy just getting summoned but it quickly gets to the point where I just have too many souls in my body to get summoned by anyone.

I understand they want to keep people from invading low levels with +10 stuff, but it doesn't work.
The scarcity of Red Eye orbs at low levels already keep the level of invasion dickery down.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
In the depths of a darkened city plague with the restless undead, two animes must fight their way through horrors never before seen, seeking help and making friends along their harsh journey forward.

Also, my Mister Miyagi playthrough loving owns. And yet I'm already trying to figure out what I want my NEXT character to be when I haven't even finished yet on my current two.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think my map guy broke. I'm almost done with the game and all he did was give me the key and still says he'll eventually meet me back at the mansion. :saddowns:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

If I'm a rat bro, will the rats in the sewers still attack me? If I'm a rat bro, will my abyss ring still work?

If you mean Grave of Saints rats, then no they shouldn't attack you if you're a ratbro. As far as I know the Abyss Ring should still work, but I've never tried using it with a different covenant.

Cowcaster posted:

Pssh. I may be a coward but at least I have my dignity.

You kept complaining about invasions in the belfries and that's pretty much the only way to not be invaded (by actual people). :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

It does kinda suck how if you wait too long it becomes increasingly tedious to get summoned. You really gotta want it to get Sunlight Spear, personally I'm just gonna try dropping a sign outside the final boss since that [i]should[/] have the people with the highest soul memory. PvP covenants are even worse about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

You kept complaining about invasions in the belfries and that's pretty much the only way to not be invaded (by actual people). :shrug:
Did I? I thought I just asked about it the first time I got there and now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Infuse them to be Raw. Raw ups damage but reduces scaling, and since crossbows don't scale... Though they do gain scaling of an element if you infuse them with said element.

Infuse them with Mundane, do a Mundane build with two Mundane Avelyns. :getin:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

I think my map guy broke. I'm almost done with the game and all he did was give me the key and still says he'll eventually meet me back at the mansion. :saddowns:

That's all he does, though? Go, meet him at the mansion.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Did I? I thought I just asked about it the first time I got there and now.

I don't know, you just didn't sound too thrilled with the idea of being invaded while trying to get that ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Umberger posted:

That area is kind of the "side dungeon" of the hole. You'll need to go deeper eventually (past the bunch of rats is a path, or you can just drop further in the pit itself).

Oh I know, the bunch of rats I fought was the Vanguard. The single rat was a ratbro. He won. :v:

quote:

I'm at 1.4mil having just cleared Iron Keep, and have no problems with co-oping or bellbroing.

I'll just have to keep at it. Not being able to be a phantom at the shaded forest may suck though. Still kind of bummed how little invasions happen out of the belfry too. 25 hours in and I've seen one guy. My brother's starting to see blue sentinels though while he's in the way of blue so that's picking up?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 1, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Bells bells bells bells bells gotta protect the bells

bells bells bells bells keh heh heh!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I had the best death in Iron Keep yesterday. I attacked the mimic in the room with the collapsing platforms, and somehow ended up on its back as it bucked around like a rodeo bull.

Eventually it freaked out and punted me halfway across the room into the lava.

My most-wished-for feature in Dark Souls 3 is the ability to save the last 30 seconds or so before you die. So many hilarious deaths...

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Infuse them with Mundane, do a Mundane build with two Mundane Avelyns. :getin:

What does Mundane infusion do?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Reduces base damage and scaling significantly but adds hidden scaling based on your lowest stat. The higher your lowest stat the more damage it gains.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
What the gently caress. :stare:

I'm exploring the Dragon Shrine and find a mimic, but it hits me before I kill it. The force of it somehow knocks me up two flights of stairs worth of vertical height and pushed over two banisters, where I'm somehow able to walk around as I glide back toward the bottom. I didn't take any fall damage from that.

Would have been hilarious except for the fact that the mimic dropped through the floor or something when he died, and I missed out on his item.

Edit: No luck relogging to fix it. I hate missing items because of bugs. :(

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 1, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've got nothing against people waiting for Bellbros to summon in and taking advantage of that, but the emote spam and smug little roll dance is kind of over-celebrating your victory, dude.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

HellCopter posted:

That's all he does, though? Go, meet him at the mansion.

Like I said he's never actually ever gone back to the mansion. He's just permanently stuck in that cave repeating the same dialog the entire game.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Sitting Bull posted:

Whats the best way to min/max weapon scaling? I've got a +10 mace, and I basically just want it to do the most damage possible. I'm not averse to re-speccing. Lightning + Faith?

Until you get sunlight blade you're actually going to lose a bit on raw damage with lightning infusion, even at 40str/40fth. However, after you get crystal magic weapon/sunlight blade/whatever the fire and dark buffs are called, there's no real difference in which elemental infusion is best in terms of raw damage, it's really just down to which school of magic you prefer.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Alright so the giant lord boss is the worst thing in the game thus far. You are forced into that small corner because of the explosions, the lock-on is worthless because it makes you blind to what his attacks are going to be but even when not using it he does these 270 degree homing turns with his sweeps, which is just bullshit to be honest. On top of that there is apparently a time limit.

Who the gently caress designed these bosses? It's either a guy in armor with some oversized weapon doing vertical homing attack + horizontal sweep + charge, or it's a giant boss who does sweep attacks and tries to stomp on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I beat the game and I only have this to say;

gently caress this game.

If you aren't using a giant sword or club or a spellcaster you're apparently doing it wrong, by the way.