Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I wouldn't put Dye in left, no. RF maybe, but not LF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Ugh... Should I panic that Whitaker rolled a 77/96... I was basing my hopes for him off of last season... But this time last season he was a 88/100...

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You...you may need to use peak Ryno at 2B! Panic!! :supaburn:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

The Merry Marauder posted:

You...you may need to use peak Ryno at 2B! Panic!! :supaburn:

But then I would not be able to run 5 platoons!!!! 5!!!! I was gonna have five of them and so much platoon advantage!!!!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, I don't really know the Mogul series of games, and I'm a bit confused at the double number stats. Since they only seem to happen with young players, can I assume that the first number is their current stat average and the second one is their potential peak? Or are those stats rough estimations because the players are so young (so a 80/90 would mean he's somewhere between 80 and 90)?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

First # is current rating, second is potential over their career. It's only really useful when trading one of them to determine the top end of rolls Mogul might give them in a favorable year (see highly-rated 19 year old A-Rod).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
They will also creep closer to the potential figure if you're playing them. But don't expect them to get all the way up to their maximum in one season.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Would someone be so kind as to explain the roll system to me please?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Would someone be so kind as to explain the roll system to me please?

Each time BBM looks at a player, it'll determine based on that player's historical career (or current active career) how that player is likely to perform at the age specified, with some randomness thrown in. The longer the career of the player and the more stable the player's production, the less variance in the random factor.

So a 24 year old Stan Musial will be considered one of the greatest players possible, likely a 95+ roll in both rating and potential no matter how many times you roll him. Meanwhile, a 46 year old Stan Musial will be considered a very, very marginal player, and likely to break down due to injury and aging. Ratings change during the season, sometimes going up and sometimes going down, with age contributing to the fluctuations.

A case in point would be my 2009 Pedro Martinez. A 1999 Pedro would likely be a 98 or so rated pitcher who would dominate, with high control, movement, and power. By 2009 injuries and age sapped a bit of his abilities, so that's why my Pedro is rated in the mid-80s. BBM is basically saying "this guy was great, but at this age...oy."

Lesser players, active players, or players with shorter careers will sometimes have a greater variance. In rolling my Robbie Cano, for instance, I'd gotten as low as 85 and as high as 96.

Since rolls are conducted every time a new season is created, you can have some variance in performance. Your superstar for one season may be a goat the next if he doesn't roll that well.

tl;dr: Because it's good to have unexpected events in baseball, player ratings are chosen with a small amount of random variation thrown in that may cause wide swings in performance from year to year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The more I learn, the cooler this turns out to be.

So the ratings listed when you posted the week 0 preview were the rolls for this year?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This could be the motto of the Super League, if you didn't want to use something like "All of your teams are doomed" which is also probably appropriate.

On the topic of ratings, don't worry too much about it. The overall rating is an amalgamation of various statistics like batting eye, power, contact, speed, etc., and it's entirely possible a very one-dimensional guy can still be quite productive even with a relatively low rating. Like...I'd expect your Cullenbine to put up a solid season despite being in the mid-80s.

Really, unless you see a guy roll like 72/97 or something where he's clearly a not-fully-baked cake, don't pay too much attention to it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So the ratings listed when you posted the week 0 preview were the rolls for this year?
Yes, and this often induces owners to go request panicked roster moves, which is why Smasher wearily has to get everyone to calm the hell down every season without too much success. Add in small sample sizes in the first week and the worst thing you can do is to take your considered team construction off-season and abandon it (or worse, make trades) based on five plate appearances and a bad pitching outing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yes. However, the players have to get through March (Spring Training!). Plus, like I said, the ratings are adjusted as the year goes on. Older players tend to crater. Young players are variable, and may suddenly get much better. All players can actually improve their peak, so don't flush a superstar down the toilet based on a mediocre roll.

And like Fairgame said, different ratings mean different things. Since pitchers are rated partially on endurance, most relievers will tend toward ratings between 70-90, while starters tend toward 80-97. So a reliever with a rating of 84 may still be dominant.

Plus, a guy with 100 movement and power like Aroldis Chapman may result in a high rating (92/94 for me), but he may still really suck based on his short career and poor control. Meanwhile, a 74 rated Arthur Rhodes may have a long career to bank on keeping his stats reasonable, despite having nowhere near the same raw stuff that Chapman does.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

FairGame posted:

This could be the motto of the Super League, if you didn't want to use something like "All of your teams are doomed" which is also probably appropriate.

I'm still partial to "You can never have too many Tim Teufels."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Super-League and MLB history and more important than ratings. A proven SL player like 1999 Pedro is trustworthy even if he gets a relatively weak 90 rating. For a variety of reasons, Randy Johnson is almost never as good as he was in real life and a 95 roll probably won't change that.

Ratings matter more for young players. 2009 Pedro was in a very obvious decline and no roll can make him a safe bet. A 95 roll will take my rookie Don Drysdale from good enough to Cy Young contender.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XIII, Week 0: The March to Destruction Begins Here!

Okay, kids, I'm going to sim the first week of the season Friday afternoon (Central time, which is the official time zone of the Super-League), so make any changes before then.

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

THERE ARE NO GAMES YET, COME ON!

Team Statistics

Analysis

You can have faith in Rodger Hronby!

Analysis

Well, I mean, this offense surely won't have a fifth bad year in a row, right?

Analysis

What happens if this team faces a lefty?

Analysis

You were just talking about getting a great roll for Drysdale and, lo and behold, you got it. Not great rolls for your bullpen.

Analysis

Bad rolls for the 3B platoon, but good rolls for the pitching staff.

Analysis

You'll need to refigure your DH lineup, since it requires you to have 26 players on your active roster to work. Granted, the Protectors being the Protectors, by the time interleague play rolls around, you're bound to have some...open spaces that Greenberg can fit into.

Analysis

Topsy's going to kill you.

Analysis

Are you sure that Pat Collins should be your backup catcher?

Analysis

Your reigning and defending Super-League Champions of the World!

Analysis

George Winn has already lost.

Analysis

On the plus side, if the Dinos are going to survive, this is the right division to do it in. The Vae Victis has the Coburns and Losers and their elite teams. The Sic Transit Vir has four Babe Ruths and the Dinger Temple. The Memento Mori Division, on the other hand, is different. It's a pitching-first division, and the Dinos can survive that.

Analysis

Well, the Outfield of Doom appears to be ready to wreak havoc.

Analysis

That is quite the generous roll for Clemens. But you basically paid it back with Posada and Varitek's rolls, so it all evens out.

Analysis

Some concerning rolls for your pitching, but, then again, the more concerning thing is that Early Wynn is your fifth starter.

Analysis

Let's just pretend all of the Reggies are in the right places.

Analysis

Will Mariano Rivera survive the season?

Analysis

Given that they're rookies, those are good rolls for Trammell and Grich.

Analysis

I'm not sure that this team has enough talent to survive as is.

Analysis

At least Musial is starting out at 96 this time around.

Analysis

Here's hoping the Losers aren't rusty.

Analysis

The MACHINE has been upgraded once again.

Analysis

Can RNG God save the day? Only time will tell.

Analysis

Decent rolls all-around.

Analysis

18,300 feet above the Earth, rolls just don't mean a single thing.

Standings

All of you are tied for last place.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 1, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Ryan, Nolan (93)

Uh... I think I'm supposed to ratings challenge this?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Hey guys, worried that your team is going to suck and die? Concerned that you will go from expansion to relegation without knowing the sweet sensation of winning a major championship? If so, sign up for...

The 3rd Tag Team Championship Tournament: Parejas Increibles

Once again, we're going to have a Tag-Team Contest during what would otherwise be the all-star break.

The way this will work is that two teams, and it can be any two teams, whether they be from the Super-League, the Sub-Par League, or some sort of unholy union between a team from the Super-League and a team from the Sub-Par League, will team up to form a super-team, with each team providing two of the following four components:

-Infield (1B, 2B, 3B, SS, DH, two backup IFs)
-Outfield and Catcher (C, LF, CF, RF, a backup C, and two backup OFs)
-Starting Rotation (SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4, SP5)
-Bullpen (CL, SU, SR, SR, MR, LR)

The winners get the greatest gift I am capable of giving: Immortality! That's right, the teams who win this tournament will be immune from relegation or demotion for a full season! And if you are in the Sub-Par league and are part of the winning tag team, you'll automatically be promoted to the Super-League proper for Super-League XIV.

The defending champions of this contest are the two-time Tag Team Champions of the Woooooooooooooorld, the team called Doomsday (Rockford Losers/Florida Oranges). As yet, no tag team has been able to defeat this team in tag team competition.

So, find yourself a partner, combine material from each of your teams, and create a child team that you both will cherish and nurture right up until it is beaten to death by Doomsday. But hey, that's just the circle of life.

Participating Teams!
Doomsday (Rockford Losers/Florida Oranges) (c)
Monateam Sentai Gofailer (Canton Calamities/Louisville Muggers)
New Worst Symphony (New World Symphony/The Worst)

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 1, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Oh my poo poo the RNG God.

Also my catchers... :negative:

edit: I will be a tag team king.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 1, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MONICRO!

Monateam is back to play really bad baseball and watch lots of anime y/n

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Generics have a really good infield, plus a bullpen that isn't terrible! If you have a good rotation and an outfield that has all time greats coupled with a bunch of people standing idly near the bases they ostensibly defend, look me up.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
So, does anyone fancy being in a tag team with a team that has a player that could play literally anywhere?

Also, now I know what RNG God and Martinez have rolled, I will piss away any good will I had with Smasher by announcing...

Line-up Changes!
RNG God platoons with Beltran at CF, drop HoJo to the minors and call up Martinez to the bench. Swap McDowell and Glavine in the rotation, Martinez will act as personal catcher for Carlton and McDowell (#s 3 and 5 in the order respectively).

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The 3rd Tag Team Championship Tournament: Parejas Increibles

yeah you know who

Okay, this will be my pitching staff, up until the point where I come to my senses.

1. Rick Reuschel
2. Don Sutton
3. Juan Marichal
4. Stephen Strasburg
5. Urban Shocker

CL: Tom Henke
SU: John Wetteland
SR: Willie Hernandez
SR: Nolan "This Is A Good Idea" Ryan
MR: Chad Bradford
LR: Fergie Jenkins

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Symphony can bring not one, not two, but three Reggie Smiths to the tag team thingy.

Oh, and Josh Gibson, Pete Alexander and Pedro Martinez.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Surely this will be the year where 36 year old Tris Speaker improves his rating to reach his peak!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mrnoun posted:

The Symphony can bring not one, not two, but three Reggie Smiths to the tag team thingy.

Oh, and Josh Gibson, Pete Alexander and Pedro Martinez.

I think triple Smiths should team up with triple Bonds. What say you?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pat Collins is a deadball catcher and somehow usually my best backup catching option.

That Doc Gooden roll though :syoon:

None shall defeat DOOMSDAY. The greatest zombies in the history of the Super League, back from the dead through Smasher's two least favorite entities: extra work and Bruzer's ill-conceived early-season challenges!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pungry posted:

I think triple Smiths should team up with triple Bonds. What say you?

Alas, Bonds, Smith, Bonds, Smith, and Bonds all play the outfield. And I think the other Smith does, too.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anyone want to tag team up? I can bring all the bats, or the IF bats if you have an outfield or whatever. My Pitching is, as always, questionable.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mrnoun posted:

Alas, Bonds, Smith, Bonds, Smith, and Bonds all play the outfield. And I think the other Smith does, too.

How about the Bonds play the infield and Lou Gehrig joins as well?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Have Pungry take infield and put one of the Barrys at 3B, its not as if it could be the dumbest thing a tag team has done

e: vv yessssss

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 1, 2014

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pungry posted:

How about the Bonds play the infield and Lou Gehrig joins as well?

Eh, what the hell, why not?

The New Worst Symphony

1B Lou Gehrig
2B Barry Bonds
3B Barry Bonds
C Josh Gibson
DH Barry Bonds
LF Reggie Smith
CF Reggie Smith
RF Reggie Smith
SS Hanley Ramirez

bC Earl Battey
UI Jeff Kent
UI Adrian Beltre
UO Tim Raines
UO Sam Rice

SP Pedro Martinez
SP Pete Alexander
SP Roy Halladay
SP Don Sutton
SP Dwight Gooden

CL Robb Nen
SU JJ Putz
SR Joe Nathan
SR Felix Rodriguez
MR Arthur Rhodes
LR Felix Hernandez

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Yesssssssss we're gonna destroy

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I'm placing my team up for a partner in the Tag-Team Tournament. I have a "competent" infield of 1B Jimmie Foxx, 2B Nap Lajoie, SS Barry Larkin and 3B Eddie Mathews/Buddy Bell, an average outfield of LF Sam Crawford/Frank Howard, CF Ty Cobb (the gem) and RF Jose Canseco/Shin-Soo Choo, some fairly decent starting pitching with a deadball flavor headlined by Walter Johnson, and a bullpen that has managed to be quite competent last season, with Tom HEN-KE as the closer.

Since mks5000 has departed this league with his Wests, I'm left alone. But remember, I'm one half of the team that beat everyone else's team in order to earn the right to be smashed by the Losers.

So, PM me in IRC or on here if you're interested.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Monicro posted:

Havy Pungry take infield and put one of the Barrys at 3B, its not as if it could be the dumbest thing a tag team has done

Tag team? Hah. Championship.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
The Rakers, being a bit balanced, are open to pretty much any tag team combination, although I'd prefer to bring my pitching as I haven't done that yet.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Oh, I quite like my banner, by the way. Thanks.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

cbx posted:

I'm placing my team up for a partner in the Tag-Team Tournament. I have a "competent" infield of 1B Jimmie Foxx, 2B Nap Lajoie, SS Barry Larkin and 3B Eddie Mathews/Buddy Bell, an average outfield of LF Sam Crawford/Frank Howard, CF Ty Cobb (the gem) and RF Jose Canseco/Shin-Soo Choo, some fairly decent starting pitching with a deadball flavor headlined by Walter Johnson, and a bullpen that has managed to be quite competent last season, with Tom HEN-KE as the closer.

Since mks5000 has departed this league with his Wests, I'm left alone. But remember, I'm one half of the team that beat everyone else's team in order to earn the right to be smashed by the Losers.

So, PM me in IRC or on here if you're interested.

Your infield and Starting pitching and my Outfield and Bullpen? I mean, a top five of Cobb, Bonds, Ruth, Foxx and Ott sounds pretty good.

Otherwise, the Zombie Llamas bring a pretty great outfield in Ruth-Bonds-Ott, a bullpen that won't be nearly as bad as it looked in the Temple, and I guess an infield if you really don't care about defense?

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mrnoun posted:

Eh, what the hell, why not?

The New Worst Symphony

You are both doing Monateam so proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Wow, that Clemens roll. That's more than i'd expect as a maximum.

Anyway, the Glastonbury Knights can provide an infield of Frank Thomas/Riggs Stephenson/Wade Boggs/Honus Wagner with Tris Speaker at DH, because we sure as poo poo can't provide an outfield. Our starting pitching is.... acceptable, but deadball-y.