Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

You know those people that, while not really ever breaking the law, manage to do the MOST ANNOYING things while driving? Things like braking into green lights, taking half an hour to get up to the speed limit, never getting out of the left lane, things like that?

Drivng in the left lane without passing is against the law in many jurisdictions. The problem is few people are ever ticketed for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's largely a rural thing. Leaving the left lane vacant in a city during rush hour would not only be impossible, but a waste of useful road.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Craptacular posted:

Drivng in the left lane without passing is against the law in many jurisdictions. The problem is few people are ever ticketed for it.

You can count the number of traffic laws routinely enforced on one hand - speeding, DUI, window tint and headlight/tail light out. Everything else is at the officer's discretion and it seems that they can't be bothered to enforce anything other than those four unless they're fishing for a reason to pull you over and search your car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

Everything else is at the officer's discretion and it seems that they can't be bothered to enforce anything other than those four unless they're fishing for a reason to pull you over and search your car.

There's some construction going on. The left turn lane is blocked off and there's a no left turn sign partially in the intersection. Two days ago, there was also a cop parked in the blocked off turn lane with his flashers going. Someone made a left turn from the go-straight lane anyway, right in front of the cop, and all they got was the cop hitting his siren for half a second.

Yesterday, same someone tried to make the same turn, but they didn't have a gap and had like 20 stopped behind them pissed off trying to go straight.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
If you get stuck behind me in my car2go Smart ForTwo and I am not moving past 15-20 mph, it's because my car refuses to shift out of first and there is no throttle response. My foot is all the way on the floor and I'm swearing up a storm. Don't worry.

I loving hate these things.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

bigman.50grand posted:

Makes sense as to why the Mazda looks almost stationary, too. If the Mazda was doing 70, the bike was still going 70 mph faster than the Mazda... :stare:

The thing that kills me about this video is that the Mazda was there way the gently caress back when he looks straight ahead for a second. Why did he stay in that lane?

Also they should make a commercial out of that video for Go-Pro (or whatever brand it was). Pretty impressive that it survived that crash.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEAR RICHARD posted:

If you get stuck behind me in my car2go Smart ForTwo and I am not moving past 15-20 mph, it's because my car refuses to shift out of first and there is no throttle response. My foot is all the way on the floor and I'm swearing up a storm. Don't worry.

My buddy just uses those to move large freight because he doesn't own a truck. So far his record is two inflated rafts and a dog crate.

Everyone just swerves around you when you're a Smart with a bright yellow liferaft crudely lashed to the roof.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

To be perfectly honest, I kinda feel like gently caress you for willingly driving a vehicle that is stuck in first gear and wont go faster then 20 mph.

It's not the car's fault you won't repair it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SocketSeven posted:

To be perfectly honest, I kinda feel like gently caress you for willingly driving a vehicle that is stuck in first gear and wont go faster then 20 mph.

It's not the car's fault you won't repair it.

car2gos are rentals, and every Smart car has a broken transmission because they're a godawful "automated manual" that burns the clutch going uphill and basically shifts gears like a geriatric on blood pressure medication getting intimately serviced by a gas weedwhacker.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That car2go thing sounds dumb. $15 an hour for a smart car? you can get a chevy sonic from budget for $15 a day with unlimited mileage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They mostly exist so that bicycle-riding hipsters can continue to feel smugly superior to me while now going 67 in a 100 instead of 6 in a 60.

Must be one helluva writeoff on unsold inventory for Benz though, and it's fun watching someone who hasn't driven a car in ten years get his first experience with one in the middle of January in four inch deep snow with no snow tires on a short wheelbase RWD mousetrap.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

car2gos are rentals, and every Smart car has a broken transmission because they're a godawful "automated manual" that burns the clutch going uphill and basically shifts gears like a geriatric on blood pressure medication getting intimately serviced by a gas weedwhacker.
I rent cars weekly, and if I ever picked up one that wouldn't shift out of first, I would complain and return it.

As he should. If he doesn't, it goes back to the original reply - gently caress you, don't drive a poorly maintained vehicle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

I rent cars weekly, and if I ever picked up one that wouldn't shift out of first, I would complain and return it.

As he should. If he doesn't, it goes back to the original reply - gently caress you, don't drive a poorly maintained vehicle.

I don't think you guys understand. A Smart car acts like this by design. They all do this. If you go WOT foot to the floor the fucker will not upshift because it is taking a goddamn decade to reach the RPM required to make its poverty spec Nazi gearbox kick up a gear while trying to eke maximum power out of its sub-learnerbike sewing machine motor.

It will take over a block of WOT before you're in second gear, and then you're only going like 50kph. car2go is constantly talking about how they are going to soon replace all the Fortwos with Electric Fortwos because they're going to be quicker.

The car2go procedure is like:
- You find one on the street.
- You check it out with your cellphone.
- You drive four blocks and leave it in some other parking lot somewhere.
- You return it with your cellphone.

It's not a traditional rental. They are garbage cars for countries with three-hour lunch breaks and mistresses.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 30, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
You really aren't selling me on your point of view being rational or true by going godwin.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's sad when Enterprise, the worst car rental company, can roll out a better carshare program than that dreck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Craptacular posted:

Yep.

For mass residents, it's MGL chapter 89 section 4B.

I've been considering getting an excerpt from that law done up as a lighted sign and hung in my rear windshield so I can mash a button and make it flash at idiots in the left lane after they rage at me and try to race me because I dared to pass them on the right. gently caress you, get out the way. I and the 20 people behind me all want to go faster than your stupid rear end.

(I've actually been given a written warning for breaking that one - I was driving home at like 1-2AM in my ratty rear end truck and went past a speed trap doing 67 in a 65 in the left lane. Road was literally deserted. Cop pulled me over and grilled me about my lovely truck. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to find out if I was drunk and/or uninsured/unregistered/unlicensed. All I wanted to do was stay close to the nice open median so I could see kamikaze deer coming from either side in time to dodge or stop. I have never, ever seen anyone who was actually impeding traffic get pulled over for it.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SocketSeven posted:

You really aren't selling me on your point of view being rational or true by going godwin.

That's not going godwin, just accept that you were an ignorant rear end in a top hat and move on. Or maybe everyone should just do what you do all the time.

ed: VVV Also confusing who the 'tough guy' is...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 1, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

nsaP posted:

Or maybe everyone should just do what you do all the time.

What's that, tough guy? Drive a car that shifts? :allears:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

nsaP posted:

That's not going godwin, just accept that you were an ignorant rear end in a top hat and move on. Or maybe everyone should just do what you do all the time.

ed: VVV Also confusing who the 'tough guy' is...
You ride a bike while listening to headphones.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I only ride in Beats by dr. dre ®

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
These are the people you share a forum with.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bucephalus posted:

These are the people you share a forum with.

Quick, post pictures of our homes. :v:

..and I'll tell you exactly why they're poo poo and Obama is to blame, evidently from my PMs.

I didn't get a picture, but a local neighbor with a complete turd of a dark grey Nissan Cube tried to take out the garbage mans' shins when he was plainly colored IN BRIGHT loving GREEN AND HAD ABOUT HALF OF A STREET TO HIMSELF. She swirved, but that shouldn't have been even necessary - they weren't taking up but a quarter of the cul-de-sac, and it wasn't in the middle. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

West SAAB Story posted:

Quick, post pictures of our homes. :v:

Never assume I'm excluding myself from any negative statement.

From Reddit:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 1, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poverty spec Nazi gearbox
Picturing a disgruntled suburban laborer in 1928 Munich swearing in German as he puts together a transmission with a hammer for $3 million marks a day which would exchange for 5 cents USD.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I do hate myself for doing the car2go thing. Don't worry.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

You mean to say the QuickShift-5 gearboxes from Renault are better than the MB ones in a Smart? I guess the problem is that people ride a dry plate clutch as if it were a slushbox torque convertor. Which is either poor design or user error, probably a combination of both.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I do hate myself for doing the car2go thing. Don't worry.

They are pretty awesome when you are at the office and really want lunch from a place on the other end of downtown and are to lazy to walk that far. Or if you are going out to the bars and don't want to pay for a cab both ways.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Or if you are going out to the bars and don't want to pay for a cab both ways.

Drunk driving smart cars. That's a brilliant idea right there.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

thelightguy posted:

Drunk driving smart cars. That's a brilliant idea right there.

Negromancer posted:

Or if you are going out to the bars and don't want to pay for a cab both ways.

Drive Smart to bars, take taxi home. :eng101:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ahhh, I fail at reading.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just about got hit HARD by a vehicle that ran a red light at full speed in front of me. Had i taken off quicker it would have been a huge hit.

My douchebag brain triggered that god awful airbag explosive smell like "hey, you almost died right there!". I could seriously smell it as if an airbag had gone off. It's been 15 minutes now and my adrenaline is still going. It was at an intersection with a red light camera, i hope to hell they go after the guy with more than just a $400 ticket.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

It was at an intersection with a red light camera, i hope to hell they go after the guy with more than just a $400 ticket.

So wait, the police actually did something, and didn't tell you to go pound sand because there wasn't an accident with someone pinned in an overturned car, on fire?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

So wait, the police actually did something, and didn't tell you to go pound sand because there wasn't an accident with someone pinned in an overturned car, on fire?

No, the guy went through the red light at an intersection with a red light camera. I'm hoping they look at the circumstances and actually show up at the guys door, rather than just a machine issuing a ticket without demerits.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah they aren't going to do poo poo other than mail him a largely unenforceable civil violation, assuming they got a clean shot of his plate.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Cage posted:

You ride a bike while listening to headphones.

I also drive a car and listen to music and I can hear a lot more outside noise on the bike.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, I don't *care* how shite/insane drivers are, I desperately need to get wheeled again. because I just got drive-by Witnessed this morning. :catstare:

Sitting at the bus stop, yay. Car pulls into the parking lot behind me, like I care. (Maybe they're here early for their hair appointment, or they're opening the joint.) As I'm sitting there, I note they not only pulled up right behind me,but the driver is exiting the car... dressed well, suit'n'tie and all.

And rolls up on me, sticking out his hand while packing a Bible and Watchtower in the other. "My bus is a block and a half away" doesn't dissuade him, have to go directly to "No."

Dude hops back in his car as I'm loading up. loving *driving around* to gank random pedestrians with the JW word.

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with crackheads playing Angry Birds on their burritos while running lights at 3x the speed limit, backward and unlit at night. Because at least then I can be killed and not have to get proselytised...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Y'know, I don't *care* how shite/insane drivers are, I desperately need to get wheeled again. because I just got drive-by Witnessed this morning. :catstare:

You are taking the wrong approach. "If only 144k are going to go to heaven, don't you think that recruiting me will slim your chances?"

That worked really well in the 90s. I told the Mormons that I turned satanic for insurance purposes, then asked one of the guys if he wanted to make out.

Last I heard, my folks still have a check on their house for most soul solicitors.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well, it wasn't CLOSE close but I was just almost in an accident. Traveling along a 2 lane road with a double yellow, old rusty fold was driving behind me for about 2 miles. White car in opposite direction is stopped and signaling to turn left into a parking lot. I drive by him and he for some reason decides to pull out right in front of old rusty ford even though he was at least 4 seconds behind me. Totalled the white car, didnt did rusty ford when I turned around though. What a dumb accident.

And then I get home and see my fathers work van with a dent in the front bumper and scratches all along the side. He was in a 5 lane road with a center turning lane and he was all the way to the right. Someone pulled out of a driveway from the far left and drove perpendicular to the road to get into her mobile home park that was across the street. Luckily my dad called the cops instead of talking to her and they put her at fault.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Great now the rest of the page will be people thinking that cartoon is real

Geoj posted:

Yeah they aren't going to do poo poo other than mail him a largely unenforceable civil violation, assuming they got a clean shot of his plate.

To be clear, odds are no one from law enforcement will ever see anything from that camera, as those are almost entirely run by private companies.