Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh man...I've gone practically the entire game without realizing that illusory walls don't work the same way they did in Dark Souls 1. You have to hit A in front of them instead of attacking.

Derp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah if you're a caster you're basically hosed because you can't keep an eye on him and the bombs at the same time. You can memorize where they're coming from or you can just have enough health to face tank a hit and hope the boss doesn't murder you before you can heal. Or vice versa and you (somehow, probably because you're checking the sky for fireballs) get hit by his shockwave and then a rock falls on your head. It's absolutely the stupidest thing in the entire game, and that's including the Prowling Magus and Congregation.

It's not even hard, it's just utter poo poo. It looks cool and all but gently caress those fireballs, seriously.

People complaining about the two easiest bosses in the game make me wonder how they deal with actually hard bosses.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Is it intentional that some of the little "safe" areas during the Undead Chariot arn't actually safe at all? I've died three times in a row while sitting in the little cubbies, and I am getting really frustrated.

No, it's not, because they are. I can't imagine how you're doing it wrong, but this is Dark Souls so who knows.

Tallgeese posted:

Yup. Apparently if either of them dies )which is obviously guaranteed), you get a sin even if you didn't touch them.

Get a blue sentinal to invade you and kill you. Apparently that lowers your sin.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Zaphod42 posted:

You probably weren't far enough back? You should be safe in them. 2 People can fit, but 3 is tough and usually means somebody dies.

I've been running into the wall, jumping back into the wall. Anything I can to be as close to the wall as possible. But it just happened a 4th time, in the cubby closest to the lever. Twice. I survived the first one, but the Estus didn't heal fast enough before he came around again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

P_R_Deltoid posted:

I've been running into the wall, jumping back into the wall. Anything I can to be as close to the wall as possible. But it just happened a 4th time, in the cubby closest to the lever. Twice. I survived the first one, but the Estus didn't heal fast enough before he came around again.

For some reason the little alcoves can be finnicky and sometimes you still get hit by the chariot even while properly in the cubby. I haven't ever had this problem with the inside track alcoves, so try that if you need to.

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

Analogi fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 26, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Trip report on the Skeleton Lords:

"Man, this is really easy but this music ownsssohholyshit :magical:"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gus Hobbleton posted:

People complaining about the two easiest bosses in the game make me wonder how they deal with actually hard bosses.

Regardless of difficulty it's kind of a poo poo fight for a number of reasons.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
Is there any way to get the Hidden Weapon Spell besides PvP? Belfry is full of cheaters with unlimited health..

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Analogi posted:

Could someone tell me how to obtain this elusive "This is Dark Souls" achivement?

Die.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

^ :thejoke:

Er, the barrel outside McDuff's room does NOT explode when I roll it down the stairs. What the fuh?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
A while back someone mentioned knowing that VAC was only activated recently, saying that "the modules weren't loaded" or something. Does anyone know what "turns on" VAC? That is, is VAC disabled when Dark Souls 2 is in offline mode, or is it only disabled when Steam is in offline mode?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

explosivo posted:

Er, the barrel outside McDuff's room does NOT explode when I roll it down the stairs. What the fuh?
I don't think it ever explodes unless it hits you. Just let it get to the bottom and then give it some encouragement.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

misguided rage posted:

I don't think it ever explodes unless it hits you. Just let it get to the bottom and then give it some encouragement.

It does explode if it rolls down sometimes. Pushing it down while I'm on it's left usually works for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kimmalah posted:

It's not the Servants Quarters bonfire (that's considered a Lost Bastille area), you need to use the ascetic on the Belfry Luna - Upper Ramparts bonfire immediately after them to respawn the gargoyles.
Good to know. I did it to both bonfires because I figured that since you can't backtrack from the Belfry bonfire it doesn't count, so I never noticed.

neetengie posted:

It does explode if it rolls down sometimes. Pushing it down while I'm on it's left usually works for me.
Mine exploded the moment it hit the wall at the bottom. It depends on whether it's rolling fast enough to crush itself when it gets down there, I guess.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Analogi posted:

Could someone tell me how to obtain this elusive "This is Dark Souls" achivement?

I can't take this...!
in short
try jumping

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

For some reason the little alcoves can be finnicky and sometimes you still get hit by the chariot even while properly in the cubby. I haven't ever had this problem with the inside track alcoves, so try that if you need to.

This seemed to work, with exception of the last cubby with the necromancer in it. That one I get hit in every time.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

explosivo posted:

Don't just nudge it down. Shove that mother fucker and then follow through. I had to try like 4 times to get it to work and then I just ran at it and it worked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

You clearly didn't read what I said, because I did in fact state it isn't a hard fight in several times over multiple posts. :v: Being easy doesn't excuse it being terribly designed, and it is. It is a bad boss fight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, yeah that did it. I thought the barrels had turned into non-exploding barrels because I did this section so many times :downs:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Get a blue sentinal to invade you and kill you. Apparently that lowers your sin.

You can't be targeted by the Blue Eye Orb unless your sin is 10 or above. Therefore, there is no way to lower sin below 9 once you have it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Someone please tell me Velsadt's weapon clangs when used by a player.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

explosivo posted:

Throw a firebomb at it while it's down there.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
In fashion souls chat I've been running Heide knight all the way, with some chunky gloves for fun.

Defender sword is so good I decided to try two, and it works pretty ok. Just enough time in most pvp to light both up and after that you really only need to hit once.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tallgeese posted:

You can't be targeted by the Blue Eye Orb unless your sin is 10 or above. Therefore, there is no way to lower sin below 9 once you have it.

Well poo poo, that sucks. Cheat?

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To follow-up on a post I made long ago - faith builds are indeed either excellent for PvE or the game is just easier than Dark Souls. With a +10 lightning mace, stacked casts of the various spear miracles and spell gear (Lion Mage, Clear Bluestone, Hexer's Hood), everything was a breeze. The only enemies that (I think) resist lightning damage are the Lion warriors in Shaded Ruins and the Leydia witches in the crypt.

Great Lightning Spear also seems to one-shot a lot of players in PvP; guessing that this is due to many of the new players still being horrible against other humans though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can't you just pay Oswald to remove all your sin?

VVV Wow that's really dumb.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 1, 2014

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't you just pay Oswald to remove all your sin?

It's Cromwell, and weirdly, no. Pardoning sins only removes aggro from NPCs, not the actual sin level.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

So, for those who have the entire Heide Knight armor set, how long did it take you to get the entire thing? I just have two chainmails and 5 of their drat Straight Swords.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chevalier Cat posted:

It's Cromwell, and weirdly, no. Pardoning sins only removes aggro from NPCs, not the actual sin level.
Seriously, what is up with all those weirdly boneheaded design decisions in this game that seem to serve no purpose at all? It looks, by all appearances, that removing sin is what the Pardoner should be doing, the leveled cost is just too high to justify removing aggro all by itself. It's also what the Pardoner in DS1 did. For some reason it doesn't, though, and I can only think it must either be some kind of oversight or a bug.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hot drat I did it. Thanks for the help, Drangelic Shield + Hammer did the trick!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

explosivo posted:

Hot drat I did it. Thanks for the help, Drangelic Shield + Hammer did the trick!

Told you.

You have to be really, really good at dodging to do a melee/no-shield fight against RS. Especially since you want to fight the first enemy up on the ledge to prevent 2 and 3 from joining in the fight too early. It's just so much easier to hold up a big, heavy shield and face-tank through the sings and then break their ankles with a smashy hammer weapon.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Well I've only made it far as just clearing spooky manor, so like a crazy person I decided to start a new character and get started at the company of champions covenant asap :downs:. Oh god this is brutal, spending time getting gud at bosses and no freebie humanities to pull my health up. Made it up to sinners rise, but I kinda want to down belfry first but christ that fight is brutal without upgraded armor. Think I'll drop the covenant once I get 50 awestones.

Oh yeah do bosses have attacks they'll use more often against a solo player?
I got flattened by the last giant when it basically just toppled forward onto me, I don't believe I have ever seen that attack before while white phantoming.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, what do you lose when you go to NG+? I'm assuming you lose some keys, but do you lose any boss or giant souls? If so I'll just eat them since there's no "get every weapon" achievement anymore.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, what do you lose when you go to NG+? I'm assuming you lose some keys, but do you lose any boss or giant souls? If so I'll just eat them since there's no "get every weapon" achievement anymore.

You keep the souls but lose everything in the key items tab.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously, what is up with all those weirdly boneheaded design decisions in this game that seem to serve no purpose at all? It looks, by all appearances, that removing sin is what the Pardoner should be doing, the leveled cost is just too high to justify removing aggro all by itself. It's also what the Pardoner in DS1 did. For some reason it doesn't, though, and I can only think it must either be some kind of oversight or a bug.

Uh, getting rid of aggro is pretty damned important. It should be that expensive. They should put a message after selecting that option explaining what it actually does, tho.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Jesus christ I literally hunted the turtles in the forest to extinction and didn't get their leggings. I was wearing the merchant hat, prisoners taters, serpent ring, AND used a rusty coin and didn't get them. Does stacking a ton of item discovery somehow cause it to decrease your chances? :psyduck:

Genocyber posted:

Uh, getting rid of aggro is pretty damned important. It should be that expensive. They should put a message after selecting that option explaining what it actually does, tho.

Why would they not have it remove sin though? And if its just to remove NPC aggro it shouldn't cost anywhere that much given someone is only going to want NPC aggro gone if they attacked someone completely by accident.

I can not possibly imagine they intended it to keep sin. It being incredibly expensive makes sense when you think about soul memory, since it means sinners can't just buy their way out of blue sentinel harassment if they want to remain SM efficient. However, not having it remove sin yet cost that much is stupid when the ghost system exists anyways.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 1, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Considering that for nearly every NPC that remotely matters you can just kill them and pay a much smaller amount to get their ghost, it doesn't seem very cost effective at one thousand souls per SL. You can be level 50+ by the time you're just done with the Forest of Giants, it's absurd.

I mean, seriously, if you accidentally tag a merchant or whatever, killing them and then paying the fee for the two or three times you'll actually need to talk to them over the course of the game is so much cheaper it's not even funny.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ I literally hunted the turtles in the forest to extinction and didn't get their leggings. I was wearing the merchant hat, prisoners taters, serpent ring, AND used a rusty coin and didn't get them. Does stacking a ton of item discovery somehow cause it to decrease your chances? :psyduck:

Why would they not have it remove sin though? And if its just to remove NPC aggro it shouldn't cost anywhere that much given someone is only going to want NPC aggro gone if they attacked someone completely by accident.

I can not possibly imagine they intended it to keep sin. It being incredibly expensive makes sense when you think about soul memory, since it means sinners can't just buy their way out of blue sentinel harassment if they want to remain SM efficient. However, not having it remove sin yet cost that much is stupid when the ghost system exists anyways.

You hunted the wrong turtles. Later areas have tons of better turtles that drop a less rusty version of the same set.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Bloodbros who invade in belltowers are the loving worst.

e: Also all this farming for rare drops is giving me bad flashbacks to my WoW days

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Played Bloody Knuckles with OIK. My +10 Caestus won. :smug:

Of course, even as a melee character, OIK's a chump as long as you watch out for that hole in the back of the arena.