Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Ahaha I was just trying to play HoI3 again and I went looking for an explanation of why the automated production sliders are so hosed up, I found this

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?635295-Why-is-auto-produce-still-stupid

Does this idiot still work for Paradox?

If you don't want the AI equivalent of a little kid banging on your keyboard while you're trying to play, then you're the real shithead. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Ahaha I was just trying to play HoI3 again and I went looking for an explanation of why the automated production sliders are so hosed up, I found this

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?635295-Why-is-auto-produce-still-stupid

"That's not how it works"? That is literally how it works in Darkest Hour! You can emphasize specific sliders and select which ones are automanaged yourself, including production!

Please fire him if you haven't already.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
If I learn LUA and make the change myself can I have his job?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You know, I think the real reason you wont see a modern day Paradox game is because everyone would quickly realize how hosed up America is. Any country that wasn't the US or in Europe would be stuck in America's sphere of influence and any attempt to free yourself would force them to attack you in the name of "Freedom". Then your country would be forever locked in a never ending rebellion of different groups trying to take control, with the US still controlling your economy.

Of course playing as the US would be a blast. :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You know, I think the real reason you wont see a modern day Paradox game is because everyone would quickly realize how hosed up America is. Any country that wasn't the US or in Europe would be stuck in America's sphere of influence and any attempt to free yourself would force them to attack you in the name of "Freedom". Then your country would be forever locked in a never ending rebellion of different groups trying to take control, with the US still controlling your economy.

:can:

It's like you don't remember nearly getting moved to dd

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I just realised why the American cultures weren't showing up. I was using a small culture mod I made before the DLC came out. I am, apparently, an idiot. :downs: But now I can grab a screen shot of what America normally looks like. Won't fix my save automatically, but it'll really help me fixing it.

Edit: Man, gently caress it, this would take a super long time. I'll just give up this game. Start a new one, maybe one that will end up more interesting.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Seems to me it could be a lot of fun, if winning isn't strictly defined by territorial goals. In any modern-themed game it would be pretty silly if you could take over the world as Burkina Faso, but it should be possible for a clever player to make Brazil (e.g.) into a world power.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

:can:

It's like you don't remember nearly getting moved to dd

Why did the thread almost get moved to D&D anyway? I've completely forgotten. Some kind of culture argument, I think? The way modernization/Westernization is represented, or something.

Haha, that was really strange! Though to be fair, Paradox games are probably the most D&D out of all games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Westernization argument that went on for like ten loving pages.

e: started off with a map from the 1800s of how 'civilized' the world was, somebody made a joke about how it looked like EU4's westernization, there were like five or six pages of heated discussion and then somebody came in and said it was all the Muslims' fault and it went downhill fast.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Westernization argument that went on for like ten loving pages.

e: started off with a map from the 1800s of how 'civilized' the world was, somebody made a joke about how it looked like EU4's westernization, there were like five or six pages of heated discussion and then somebody came in and said it was all the Muslims' fault and it went downhill fast.

To be fair, it is all Goons' fault.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Apart from him being a sanctimonious dick, he's an idiot too. Why bother coding in a separate "automate sliders" option if it simply doesn't work without automating production as well? I'm no programmer, but it's obvious that they already have a function to determine the minimum required IC for a given slider because they have buttons that set the slider to the optimal value - why not just make a separate automation option that simulates clicking those buttons every turn, with options to choose which slider to optimise if there's not enough IC to cover each slider?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There is a way to make the automated sliders prioritize specific sliders, though?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is a way to make the automated sliders prioritize specific sliders, though?

Sure but if you have a surplus of IC it gets wasted on the prioritised slider rather than spilling over into overproducing supplies or money.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Enjoy posted:

Sure but if you have a surplus of IC it gets wasted on the prioritised slider rather than spilling over into overproducing supplies or money.

What's the point of automating it then, that's dumb.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is anyone genuinely surprised that at least one HOI3 dev was approaching the project from a 'the player helps the AI play the game for him' perspective?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Lothos doesn't work for us, but he did write a bunch of lua scripts during the HoI3 expansion betas.

Also, while he'd being pretty rude about it, it's basically sensible: The slider AI covers all your IC needs and then puts any spare into production to show you can build more stuff if you want to. If you don't, the IC is unused so it doesn't cost you anything. There's not really any other place to safely dump IC, sure it could build excess supplies, but it already builds an X month stockpile and it can't read your mind to know if you want to build up even more supplies or save resources when you don't spend all your IC but have sliders automated (remember excess IC in consumer goods doesn't generate money past FTM).

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 1, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tested it, and yes, if you have more than enough IC to cover reinforcements + upgrades + production then any excess goes into production instead of supplies and/or consumer goods, but it does seem like Darkrenown is also correct that supply production is already managed accordingly without having to dump excess IC into it, money isn't built up with excess consumer goods the way it was in HOI2, and dissent is also managed differently and isn't just burned off with excess consumer goods either.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd still rather the excess went into supplies than just sitting idle.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Lothos doesn't work for us, but he did write a bunch of lua scripts during the HoI3 expansion betas.

Also, while he'd being pretty rude about it, it's basically sensible: The slider AI covers all your IC needs and then puts any spare into production to show you can build more stuff if you want to. If you don't, the IC is unused so it doesn't cost you anything. There's not really any other place to safely dump IC, sure it could build excess supplies, but it already builds an X month stockpile and it can't read your mind to know if you want to build up even more supplies or save resources when you don't spend all your IC but have sliders automated (remember excess IC in consumer goods doesn't generate money past FTM).

Well that's still kinda poo poo, for one thing extra supplies could be traded off for more needed materials (just because you make more supplies doesn't mean you have to stockpile it).

For another, don't loving give me a "You can build more stuff!" notifier just because I now have 0.1 excess IC that is annoying as all hell.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

But you'd get extra resources from not using the IC, since used IC uses up some resources.

I'd still prefer to just dump it into supplies, or even have the DH system (which I've always left on AI control since it's amazing).

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Please tell me that a polar bear is their placeholder art. That is just so paradox :allears:

Theres actually a mod for EU4 that adds a number of "bear nations".

I'm also sure that the maker ended up with Panda Bears on horses for cavalry amongst other things.

EDIT:

Yeeeeah.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 1, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

YF-23 posted:

Well that's still kinda poo poo, for one thing extra supplies could be traded off for more needed materials (just because you make more supplies doesn't mean you have to stockpile it).

For another, don't loving give me a "You can build more stuff!" notifier just because I now have 0.1 excess IC that is annoying as all hell.

Traded supplies is taken into account by the autosliders, so just make your trade deal if you need more trade and it'll put more IC into supplies...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I guess that's true. My second point still stands, the worst thing about playing HoI3 was getting notifiers like "you now have 0.01 more leadership going into research than you need!" and the like (though I do believe the specific case with research has been fixed by making excess leadership give faster research). There's just no point in started a new production line when you only have a fraction of an IC available so the game shouldn't bother you unless you actually have enough excess IC for it to matter.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

it can't read your mind to know if you want to build up even more supplies or save resources

Well, if only there was a way to prioritize sliders and tell the AI that yes, you do want more supplies than you need. Why not just copy that from DH?

YF-23 posted:

(though I do believe the specific case with research has been fixed by making excess leadership give faster research)

While it will make research faster, it still sucks at rounding, so you either get a notifier that you can do more research (a whole 0.000001 more!) or be stuck at 99% efficiency forever.
And don't even get me started on new leadership (through tech, for example) going into research when you loving locked the slider.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Best mod for any game ever!

I have an issue getting into some paradox games: I loved HoI2 to bits (and am currently binging on Kaisserreich on DH now) but HoI3 went way over my head (as apparently it did for everyone). I know that I should really like the other longer games, but my memory of my times trying with EU3 was generally playing as France and seeing my country break apart as I'm left with only Paris and, for some reason, some random part of another country that decided to join me. I recently got EU4 really cheap (£14 from some Brazilian site, not going to complain) and it seems to be going a little better but sometimes strange things happen. Example in my attempt at an Ottoman Empire game from the start: I get a CB on the Byzantines for Constantinople: attack them and grab it and force them to free Athens. However, by the time that I'm trying to attack them to get them off the map entirely: Orthodox zealots rise in the random Genoa province in Crimea and they defect to the Empire along with them somehow gaining Georgia, which makes annexing them really hard without over expanding and getting random war declarations from Hungary and every other eastern european nation.

Pretty much: I find the games quite fun, but I'm poo poo at them because I don't do the whole "try to expand peacefully" thing. I try to expand now and then get hosed by everyone else on the map because I have no patience...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There's diplomatic actions you can make for your vassals/puppets that let you annex them peacefully under the right circumstances (high enough relations and them having been a vassal for more than 10 years or so).

Though luck about the Byzantines doing that, it's certainly not typical of them to get so lucky with rebel defections. You could wipe them out over two wars if they have managed to get enough territory for complete annexation to be prohibitive with respect to overextension.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I was talking about the vassals of the Byzantines though: you can't annex a vassal state directly when you occupy them because you can't make peace deals with vassals...

My plan was to do it in two wars: get Constantinople and perhaps one Greek province and force them to unvassal Athens in the first war; and then go to annex them in the second one. That sort of didn't work when I realised after the end of the second war that the Byzantines had gained a few Orthodox states around Crimea... If its a rare thing then i'll go and start again: I sort of quit when I had Venice and a coalition involving Hungary and a bunch of other states declared war on me while I was trying to fix a war that one of my allies in Anatolia had started...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My vassal advice was more about your France issues in EU3. You should definitely be able to demand Athens' provinces from the Byzantines in the peace deal though.

And as the Ottomans you'll probably want to conquer, not ally the minor Turkish states in Anatolia.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I've been playing a a 1933 USSR campaign in Darkest Hour. Due to their numbers, build time etc, I've gotten a shitton of militia. It is June 1942, I've modernised to a large degree and I'm about to fight Germany. However, I am running into a problem:

Though that is only about 19-20 divisions in those German stacks, they get filled up quickly due to back lines. Militia arn't too terrible but just don't keep the ORG to hold in defences or push through what are a lot of German MOT/Armoued units. Should I be arraying my forces differently, have I buggered myself by the virtue of loads of militia? Additionally, I've been trying to use HQs/Field Marshals Properly,. but it honestly feels like engulfing people in 100+ divisions works out better.

Here is my army comp:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Should you not be aiming for a deeper line of defense, slowing down the German attack once they inevitably push through the line? I'm not big on the HoI series, but from what I understand it's useful to have at least two-province coverage for defense to allow counterattacks and slow down drives.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

IceAgeComing posted:

I was talking about the vassals of the Byzantines though: you can't annex a vassal state directly when you occupy them because you can't make peace deals with vassals...

My plan was to do it in two wars: get Constantinople and perhaps one Greek province and force them to unvassal Athens in the first war; and then go to annex them in the second one. That sort of didn't work when I realised after the end of the second war that the Byzantines had gained a few Orthodox states around Crimea... If its a rare thing then i'll go and start again: I sort of quit when I had Venice and a coalition involving Hungary and a bunch of other states declared war on me while I was trying to fix a war that one of my allies in Anatolia had started...

Playing as the Ottomans has always been fun, going all the way back to EUII, because you can safely ignore most diplomacy and just focus on the military side. Don't focus on alliances and go slow with annexing Byzantium, but ultimately you should be able to consolidate based on military strength alone without allying with anyone (I never found any other Muslim states to be great allies at first anyway). If that brings too much ire against you, then you can always vasselize and diplo-annex. Btut I'd focus first on Constantinople and then the other states in Anatolia to consolidate my position first. And no, Byzantium expanding is not common.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can upgrade your Militia into a completely different division type, in this case I would recommend making them Infantry. It's a tedious process (I'll try to post how when I get home from work if you can't figure it out), but if you complete it you should be able to destroy the Germans by sheer brute force.

The Narrator posted:

Should you not be aiming for a deeper line of defense, slowing down the German attack once they inevitably push through the line? I'm not big on the HoI series, but from what I understand it's useful to have at least two-province coverage for defense to allow counterattacks and slow down drives.

At 30 divisions per province it's extremely unlikely that he'll be thrown out of the first defensive line, but yes.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can upgrade your Militia into a completely different division type, in this case I would recommend making them Infantry. It's a tedious process (I'll try to post how when I get home from work if you can't figure it out), but if you complete it you should be able to destroy the Germans by sheer brute force.

At 30 divisions per province it's extremely unlikely that he'll be thrown out of the first defensive line, but yes.

I can see where you'd do it. Do you just set it to INF, and then it goes to upgrade IC? I guess I could, and just push the start date to 1943 (allows me to continue to upgrade and build brigades I guess). My only point is, do normal INF handle MOT/ARM divisions a lot better than Militia? My only issue with delaying is that it allows the Germans to even the numbers potentally.

I see another 'early' war problem is that I have next to no bombers. I underestimated how much militia spamming was draining my pre General Mobilization manpower. That is going to get pretty fixed pretty soon after the war starts however.

The only place I'm getting pushed out is where they can focus on one of my divisions 3-1. Meanwhile I'm absolutely making GBS threads on the Balkan areas though.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

Only if he's bum rushed Soviet land doctrine, otherwise panzers will eventually break through.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Only if he's bum rushed Soviet land doctrine, otherwise panzers will eventually break through.

On the 1942-1943 ones. I am not sure if it is worth going for the next one down as that doctrine is all the way in 1946 in terms of historical year.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh then you're good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
INF is significantly better than MIL. As was busted wide open by Gort, spamming INF is basically good enough to do a world conquest with, especially with Russia's bottomless manpower reserves. You may take losses, but the Germans will run out of bad dudes (long) before you do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Raskolnikov38 posted:

As you can tell from his last post, he's holding the Germans and crushing the Axis in the balkans.

Tanks are rubbish at fighting for what they cost in DH. Infantry spam is the way to go, and militia spam works fine too. Germany can't exploit a breakthrough if they never make one.

I am concerned by his comment about not bothering to use HQs though. All you need to do is stick them in an army lead by a general or field marshal, and keep them spread along your frontline. They need no special protection, and affect their own province and all adjacent provinces. Their effect is to increase the likelihood of "events" in combat, all of which are good for the USSR.

For the Eastern front, you want a total of about six HQs. Don't be fooled by the number of HQs you start with - Stalin purges it down to one.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

SkySteak posted:

zergmilitia rush tactics

Using loads of militia can be a good idea, but not so much in the way you're doing it. Militia are generally lovely units because they're, well, militia. Your units that will do actual damage are your infantry, your tanks, and so on. The militia's role is instead to divert fire from the enemy units. When you're fighting a battle with 6 infantry divisions, the enemy's units will hit those divisions each turn; that will wear them down and may lose you the battle. But if you're fighting the same battle with an extra 50 militia divisions the enemy will have to split their fire between your 56 divisions, so your infantry will be hit less and might manage to defeat the enemy units and win the battle because all the German panzers are too busy shooting at poorly armed Ukrainian peasants instead of your properly-trained heroic Soviet soldiers.

This brings you to two related conclusions:
  • You cannot rely on militias to win battles. They are cannon fodder. They don't pack a punch, they're there to take a punch. Using them en masse is fine but their role is still to get the enemy hitting them while your actual combat units hit the enemy.
  • Combat support limits are important. Militias can and should be allowed to exceed the combat support limits for an army in battle, but (a) you'll want your support limits managed such that they're high enough for your regular combat units to be able to fight at normal efficiency, and (b) you'll need to mind how you engage in the battle so that your combat support limits don't go to the militia and the stacking penalty hampers your regular units like a dumbass.

Gort posted:

As you can tell from his last post, he's holding the Germans and crushing the Axis in the balkans.

I don't think Germany's declared war on him yet.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

I am concerned by his comment about not bothering to use HQs though. All you need to do is stick them in an army lead by a general or field marshal, and keep them spread along your frontline.

I have 7 HQs in 1942. My comment was more if just absolutely massing 100s of divisions outweighed the penalty.

• Locked thread