Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
ChariotTalk: The Executioner's Chariot will veer slightly to the left or right depending on which side you last hid in. If you hid in a cubby hole on the left side, hide in one to the right for the next hit. If you don't, sometimes he can hit you even when in a hole.

You can also just dodge under the wheel lances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This game seems like it would be super fun, but my framerate keeps choking up in large areas, or against multiple opponents, making the timing on rolls and parries nearly impossible. I don't think I can play it on my laptop. :smith:

Does anyone know a way to remap controller keys? I spent about an hour last night trying to figure out how to use my R3 joystick as freelook, and R3 press as target lock. When I enter the key remapping menu, I can remap the keyboard, but not the controller... :confused:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This spider area is weird... bonfires are few and far between. Everything does quickly but this place is tedious as gently caress to navigate.

Plus that boss seems cheap as heck as a caster. The summoned goon is helpful but he gets wrecked fast. It's mostly that drat beam that hosed me. Plus by the time I get there I'm missing a lot of casts. Guess I need to mace it up.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
I beat the game so I made a new character.

The Elder Jew.

How do I get good with black magic?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
For anyone who loves fun, do yourself a favor and take the force miracle to that tiny bridge at the entrance of Belfry Luna. Enjoy your free kills via gravity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dis astranagant posted:

You hunted the wrong turtles. Later areas have tons of better turtles that drop a less rusty version of the same set.

I know. I actually just went to Ironkeep to grab the chestpiece. However, I didn't realize you needed to kill Smelter Demon to access the bonfire so farming them would be a massive pain, as I'm too low a SL to fight Smelter. I got lucky and the chestpiece dropped, and I figured hey I've got all this item discovery stacking so I might as well grab the leggings from the forest until I'm ready to farm Ironkeep.

Half an hour later and nothing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vintersorg posted:

This spider area is weird... bonfires are few and far between. Everything does quickly but this place is tedious as gently caress to navigate.

Plus that boss seems cheap as heck as a caster. The summoned goon is helpful but he gets wrecked fast. It's mostly that drat beam that hosed me. Plus by the time I get there I'm missing a lot of casts. Guess I need to mace it up.

Try to run it as a ghost if you can, that way if the dude wins you'll get your everything refilled.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

The Crusher posted:

For anyone who loves fun, do yourself a favor and take the force miracle to that tiny bridge at the entrance of Belfry Luna. Enjoy your free kills via gravity.
I miss Dark Souls 1 Force. Dark Souls 2 Force just isn't as cool.

YOSPOS King posted:

The Elder Jew.

Rush to Felkin as soon as possible, buy Great Resonant Soul, maybe kill Licia if you want a better starting chime. That's about all you need. Pump Att/Int/Fth as needed. 20/20 Int/Fth will also net you some helpful stuff from Felkin.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
So uhhhhh I was fighting DDF and something odd happened. Was not aware this was possible, it's head just rolled right off. Then this side of the boss wouldn't take damage, actually made the fight more difficult.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

The Crusher posted:

Careful with this, if you get an enemy caster you've put yourself in a bad spot. So many kills with dark fog/flame swathe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Piell posted:

Yes and no, respectively. The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, and slabs aren't quite as rare as they were in DS1, so if you like the moveset then take it to +10. Infusions scale based on Int and/or Faith now, so if you aren't one of those builds then go non-infused all the way.

This is wrong information. Scaling is pretty bad on weapons, so an infused elemental weapon is virtually always better. You can have dog poo poo in INT and Faith and it'll still be better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vintersorg posted:

The beam is super easy to avoid, just dodge right into it and you'll take no damage.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Seriously, I miss DS1 where if you killed an NPC invader you got their stuff no questions asked, rather than having to farm for it. I wanna play dressup, dammit.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

drink_bleach posted:

So uhhhhh I was fighting DDF and something odd happened. Was not aware this was possible, it's head just rolled right off. Then this side of the boss wouldn't take damage, actually made the fight more difficult.

You can play soccer with it, it's fun. You can also use Warmth to regenerate its health and then take off the other head and it becomes unkillable.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Is there any way to get items from chests that were destroyed? Or did the white phantoms I summoned just introduce me into a great way of trolling people?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Is there any way to get items from chests that were destroyed? Or did the white phantoms I summoned just introduce me into a great way of trolling people?
You can go to NG+ or ascetic the area, that's about it :buddy:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

YOSPOS King posted:

The Elder Jew.

Make Dragonrider fall over his fat rear end, go to Huntsmans Copse via talking to Licia, talk to Felkin (with 8 Int/Fai) and buy Resonant/Great Resonant Soul, focus on making at least your Fai/Int 20, then talk to Felkin and Licia for good Hex catalysts. felkin gives his stuff up at 20 for both important stats, Licia gives her stuff up at 30 faith.
edit: Dark Orb and Dark Hail aren't bad hexes, and you should use them if you want more casts since the Resonant Spells take up two slots.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, most of the boss soul weapons underperform next to standard/infused weapons. They might have cool unique attacks sometimes but overall, it feels kind of lovely that you can't make boss items until mid-game and then the vast majority of them suck rear end.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Any updates on people with VAC bans unrelated to Dark Souls 2 not being able to go online? Last thing I heard was about a week ago, and that was them admitting it's not supposed to happen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yah, I'll help some others while there. I was so nervous as I never got this far on the console. So I was just like, gently caress, let's do this!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I haven't upgraded any armor at all, is it even worth it? I was doing some testing and, as far as raw damage is concerned, the difference between taking damage with my heaviest vs. my lightest armor was minimal at best.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, most of the boss soul weapons underperform next to standard/infused weapons. They might have cool unique attacks sometimes but overall, it feels kind of lovely that you can't make boss items until mid-game and then the vast majority of them suck rear end.
So pretty much just like in DS1, basically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

I haven't upgraded any armor at all, is it even worth it? I was doing some testing and, as far as raw damage is concerned, the difference between taking damage with my heaviest vs. my lightest armor was minimal at best.

Sounds like Dark Souls to me.

Cardiovorax posted:

Wow steal jokes from the future and then bring them into the past much??

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
No matter what, everybody who summons me in Bastille has Down's Syndrome.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Sounds like Dark Souls to me.

yeah I think I upgraded my armor like all of one time in the original Dark Souls, was just making sure if it's the same here. if that's the case I'm sticking to Fashion Souls and just wearing what I like.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm keeping at a steady 1500 posts behind this thread, so I probably won't see the end of it for a while. But I think I finally was able to show someone the shortcut from McDuff Bonfire to Ruin Sentinels. I wish there was some noisemaker gesture to get people to pay attention to you when you're trying to show them something and they're just running ahead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Wow steal jokes from the future and then bring them into the past much??
Transtemporal humor is all the rage these days, try to keep up.

Cardboard Box posted:

I actually tested that with the Smelter Demon Armor, wearing it while getting hit by the archer dudes in Iron Castle compared to being naked, and it turns out it lowers damage by about two thirds. I'm not sure how the formula actually works, but there you go.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 1, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Except this time there's not even achievement for getting all the named weapons, so they're just a waste of space. Gobble up those boss souls!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Doctor Albatross posted:

Any updates on people with VAC bans unrelated to Dark Souls 2 not being able to go online? Last thing I heard was about a week ago, and that was them admitting it's not supposed to happen.

They've acknowledged that it's a bug, but that's it as far as I know.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Except this time there's not even achievement for getting all the named weapons, so they're just a waste of space. Gobble up those boss souls!

The Dragonrider Bow and Lost Sinner's Sword aren't that bad, along with the Dragonslayer Greatbow, but yeah other than that most are worthless.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Umberger posted:

They've acknowledged that it's a bug, but that's it as far as I know.

Ah, figured as much. It's kind of hard to find any kind of updates whatsoever.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

neetengie posted:

The Dragonrider Bow and Lost Sinner's Sword aren't that bad, along with the Dragonslayer Greatbow, but yeah other than that most are worthless.

What, the Defender Greatsword sounds pretty awesome though?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think that boss soul weapons are supposed to at least perform better than their equivalents in Dark Souls 1 because for each upgrade point they get a shitload more damage compared to run-of-the-mill weapons. So a +10 longsword does, say, 200% more damage than an un-upgraded longsword, but a +5 Boss' Big Sword does 400% more than an un-upgraded Boss' Big Sword

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

Skeletons also love to fall into a perfect T-pose after they die, bizarrely.

Nice job, skeleton!

In fashion souls chat, this is just beginner gear but I really like this Explorer Wizard getup.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I think that boss soul weapons are supposed to at least perform better than their equivalents in Dark Souls 1 because for each upgrade point they get a shitload more damage compared to run-of-the-mill weapons. So a +10 longsword does, say, 200% more damage than an un-upgraded longsword, but a +5 Boss' Big Sword does 400% more than an un-upgraded Boss' Big Sword

yeah I was looking at the Pursuer Greatsword and the upgrade damage on that seems insane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

The downside being that most of them crumble into bits if you look at them funny.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Oh god, I just get past the swarmiest boss fight imaginable and now I'm back in loving Blighttown. gently caress you From, gently caress you so hard.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley
The tower and the gargoyles are a gigantic sack of rear end, is it optional?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

Oh god, I just get past the swarmiest boss fight imaginable and now I'm back in loving Blighttown. gently caress you From, gently caress you so hard.

it's nowhere near as bad as Blighttown and is a pretty short area, don't worry!

Voluspa posted:

The tower and the gargoyles are a gigantic sack of rear end, is it optional?

yeah that whole place is entirely optional, though at the end of it is an item that will potentially help make the (already easy) Sinner's Rise boss easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

+10 weapons do double damage, +5 twinking weapons do damage and a half, and +5 boss weapons do 2 and a half times damage.