Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah that whole place is entirely optional

good, it can get hosed along with everyone in it. specially the blue midgets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Artificer posted:

What, the Defender Greatsword sounds pretty awesome though?

Forgot to include that duo, but I did mean most. There are those few, I'll try to list the ones I remember from the top of my head.
• Dragonrider Bow
• Dragonslayer Greatbow
• Throne Defender's Sword
• Throne Watcher's Sword
• Lost Sinner's Sword
• Chime of Want
• Scythe of Want
• Curved Dragon Greatsword
• Moonlight Greatsword
• Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword
I think these are pretty good boss weapons overall, the others are lackluster or just bad. I'm probably wrong though.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

Oh god, I just get past the swarmiest boss fight imaginable and now I'm back in loving Blighttown. gently caress you From, gently caress you so hard.

You have entered "The level that literally nobody wants to play!"

Really though, DS1 never had any levels that I flat-out hated playing in, and all of the bosses were fun in their own way, and I could get behind all the levels (even Blighttown / Tomb of Giants) and have a good time experiencing them, but with DS2 I'm not having a whole lot of fun on any of the levels and all of the bosses are either way too easy or just seem like the devs thought "people like this game because it's hard let's just make this really hard" it doesn't ever hit that good middle ground DS1 had where the bosses were tough but fair (except Pinwheel who dies in 1 hit)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
People flipping out about the Gutter never fails to make me laugh, because it's like Babby's First Blighttown Lite. The platforms are gigantic, the enemies are a joke and there's basically only one path you can take. It's probably the easiest zone in the game.

Lori posted:

with DS2 I'm not having a whole lot of fun on any of the levels and all of the bosses are either way too easy or just seem like the devs thought "people like this game because it's hard let's just make this really hard" it doesn't ever hit that good middle ground DS1 had where the bosses were tough but fair (except Pinwheel who dies in 1 hit)
Yeah, I feel the same way. I played Dark Souls 1 to the death, but I don't think I'll ever NG+ this one.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 1, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
HOLY loving poo poo I'm a moron. I just reached what I thought was almost the end of the game when I realized I had missed the entire section in Forest of the Giants with The Last Giant and The Pursuer and of course the third King's Gate and now the map guy works properly along with that merchant woman moving. BOY do things make a lot more sense now! :v:

FuriousGeorge posted:

Nice job, skeleton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14r7y6rM6zA&t=30s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Gutter is just dumb, empty and feels like stupid poo poo I've waded through too many times already. It's a pointless filler area in that tends to come about the point where the sheer size of the game starts to wear on you.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hole!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Hi ds2 thread! some of you may have, like me, forgotten that the flaming hell pit area directly below the Cardinal Tower bonfire existed after leaving Forest of Fallen Giants. However you should immediately remember it and go there because not only are the Salamanders a fun challenge, but you get the best magic resist shield I know of (70 physical res, 90 resist all except dark at 85) and a Fire infusion stone! Well that's my story!

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reflecting upon the narrative of Dark Souls 2 has led me to conclude that the story was essentially incoherent. The basic theme of "curse" (read: greed/want), despite being explicitly laid out, really failed to amount to anything substantial and the supporting cast was incredibly bland. People who got deep into the lore of the first game (and Demon's Souls) have to be disappointed with the Drangleic atmosphere overall.

Definitely a fun gameplay experience, though. Rats and BellBros were great additions.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I was looking at the Pursuer Greatsword and the upgrade damage on that seems insane.

I did my first runthrough with the Pursuer Greatsword and it was piss easy. At +5 with 50 Str that thing was doing like 800 damage with a one-handed normal swing. I never even imbued it, the scaling on it is really high, I can't check now but according to my (poor) memory I was getting around +180 damage just from the scaling (on top of its 300ish base at +5). It has decent Dex scaling too and I had 40 Dex so that was contributing as well. I did the math at one point and I would have lost damage if I imbued it, since I was doing no spells.

If you have any kind of weapon enchant it is ALWAYS worth it to imbue with the corresponding element, but if you are going big heavy weapons and no weapon enchant you will actually do more damage un-imbued. Unless it has like D or E scaling in which case just Raw it. Fast weapons you probably always want to do Bleed or Poison (if you aren't doing a weapon enchant).

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

TheQat posted:

Hi ds2 thread! some of you may have, like me, forgotten that the flaming hell pit area directly below the Cardinal Tower bonfire existed after leaving Forest of Fallen Giants. However you should immediately remember it and go there because not only are the Salamanders a fun challenge, but you get the best magic resist shield I know of (70 physical res, 90 resist all except dark at 85) and a Fire infusion stone! Well that's my story!

I remember seeing an item in that firey area, but I never actually dove in. Do I need the cat ring to survive the fall?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

TheQat posted:

Also a Hawk ring, that's kind of cool.

Maxmaps posted:

I remember seeing an item in that firey area, but I never actually dove in. Do I need the cat ring to survive the fall?
You can do that or you can go to the Iron Door next to the Last Giant's door and open it with the Iron Key.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Maxmaps posted:

If you land on the little trash pile correctly, it isn't necessary to have the ring.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I just beat the game. It was fun.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Professor Latency posted:

I just beat the game. It was fun.

Fine work!, Now the real fight begins!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I just killed the Sinner lady and I'm not sure where to head next. Any hints that aren't major spoilers?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I need to make a video of people falling off the bridge in PvP. It's so fun to stand there waving while they try (and fail) to do the platforming to get back up.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

I just killed the Sinner lady and I'm not sure where to head next. Any hints that aren't major spoilers?

Have you tried going down the hole in Majula?

Have you tried checking out that weird contraption on the way to Heide's Tower of Flame?

Have you unpetrified anyone lately?

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Lori posted:

I need to make a video of people falling off the bridge in PvP. It's so fun to stand there waving while they try (and fail) to do the platforming to get back up.

I've taken to committing suicide off the bridge just so I can manage to get to the gargoyles gate in that loving tower within the 5 minute 'grace period.' It's a bold faced lie, I get back to back invasions all the time.

It is the opposite of fun.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a trick to headless Medusa lady? Nobody is summoning me here.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Jester Thomas exists, that might be why.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

flowinprose posted:

If you land on the little trash pile correctly, it isn't necessary to have the ring.

The ring will cut down on the damage you take however.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Have you burned the windmill and thus drained the poison?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Cardiovorax posted:

People flipping out about the Gutter never fails to make me laugh, because it's like Babby's First Blighttown Lite. The platforms are gigantic, the enemies are a joke and there's basically only one path you can take. It's probably the easiest zone in the game.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I played Dark Souls 1 to the death, but I don't think I'll ever NG+ this one.

Yea the Gutter is nothing like Blighttown and it was extremely easy. The level afterwards is a piece of poo poo but thankfully it is very short and the boss is pretty much the easiest boss in the game.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Mzbundifund posted:

The ring will cut down on the damage you take however.

Have you burned the windmill and thus drained the poison?

Noooo. Thanks.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
My opinion: game is too easy. 99% of bosses are complete pushovers. Didn't the DLC for Dark Souls get rave reviews? Why didn't they throw more fights like Artorias into DS2? That fight was loving badass. If every armored dude that I had to fight in DS2 was like Artorias, that would have been perfect. Instead, we get a bunch of fat sloths that are literally incapable of killing you unless you run out of healing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Umberger posted:

Have you tried going down the hole in Majula?

Have you tried checking out that weird contraption on the way to Heide's Tower of Flame?

Have you unpetrified anyone lately?

Oh oh, I did get a branch. Guess I can bust out that lady stuck in front of the lever?

Also, that hole and I have a long standing rivalry.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

neetengie posted:

Jester Thomas exists, that might be why.

I thought it was because I'm naked and I have pink pigtails and a Cloud sword.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

omg chael crash posted:

Oh oh, I did get a branch. Guess I can bust out that lady stuck in front of the lever?

Also, that hole and I have a long standing rivalry.
Yeah, you can free her and open up a new area.

The cat sells a ring that can help you out with that. It's also useful to have human health versus highly hollowed health, as well as low equip load, when you go for falls.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Voluspa posted:

I've taken to committing suicide off the bridge just so I can manage to get to the gargoyles gate in that loving tower within the 5 minute 'grace period.' It's a bold faced lie, I get back to back invasions all the time.

It is the opposite of fun.

I'm talking about the bridge next to the Threshhold Bridge bonfire, not the belfry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

keyframe posted:

Yea the Gutter is nothing like Blighttown and it was extremely easy. The level afterwards is a piece of poo poo but thankfully it is very short and the boss is pretty much the easiest boss in the game.
Visually great, though. It's like the Black Gulch was the one zone where they actually allowed the graphics team to use all their weird and bizarre ideas that the rest of the game just misses and that DS1 had all over the place.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are there two different paths you can take to get to the Bastille? I was watching a video where someone came in from somewhere other than the wharf and I haven't figured out how to get back there.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
The gutter wasn't difficult, but it was definitely obnoxious and not fun to play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Reason posted:

Are there two different paths you can take to get to the Bastille? I was watching a video where someone came in from somewhere other than the wharf and I haven't figured out how to get back there.
You can't, it's one-way and only accessible from a little area after the Pursuer boss fight.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Voluspa posted:

good, it can get hosed along with everyone in it. specially the blue midgets

Yeah it's kind of a pain getting invaded all the time there. But I discovered Heavenly Thunder and have won ~8 out of 10 fights by one-shotting them with Heavenly Thunder :black101:. Although it's only NG so I suspect most people are just really dumb at this level and it won't work as well later on. But I can't beat the boss so gently caress it.

Anyways, I've been rolling with Disc Chime and I find it's not very good as a shield and not very good as a chime so I'm just going to go back to swapping. What Chime/Shield combo is recommended for a Mace Str/Faith Cleric? Is it also worth upgrading a Chime? It didn't feel like it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It is absolutely worth upgrading your spellcasting items, and once you get the option, to infuse it with the element of the spell you'll be casting out of it. In your case that would be a lightning chime.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Xaris posted:

Yeah it's kind of a pain getting invaded all the time there. But I discovered Heavenly Thunder and have won ~8 out of 10 fights by one-shotting them with Heavenly Thunder :black101:. Although it's only NG so I suspect most people are just really dumb at this level and it won't work as well later on. But I can't beat the boss so gently caress it.

Anyways, I've been rolling with Disc Chime and I find it's not very good as a shield and not very good as a chime so I'm just going to go back to swapping. What Chime/Shield combo is recommended for a Mace Str/Faith Cleric? Is it also worth upgrading a Chime? It didn't feel like it.
Yes, you should always upgrade your casting implement. It'll buff their spell casting damage. The one Felkin sells is not a bad chime, the Priest's Chime is solid. If you want to stick with Faith and get to 50 Fth, the Dragon Chime is your eventual goal. Additionally, if you don't use your chime to cast hexes, you can imbue them with Lightning/a Boltstone to further buff their miracle damage.

For shields, Maughlin sells some decent ones.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheQat posted:

How do you even get down there? :negative:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I just got invaded while hollow and farming for the Heide Knight gear! Currently hiding in the open and hoping the guy doesn't notice. I hope the Sinner's Sword actually does extra damage against Sinners (probably doesn't), because that would be hella helpful if he found out where I was.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Xaris posted:

I've killed them as a shadow like 4-5 times now, souls which I've subsequently lost to deaths against hilarious invaders. I literally cant keep humanity long enough to invite people to help, so I try to take the boss as an undead with reduced hp and it's really all just a terrible vicious cycle. Least fun the game has been, the rat vanguard was not anywhere near as bad, navigating area included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xoidanor posted:

How do you even get down there? :negative:

Through the locked door by the Last Giant.