Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Xerxes17 posted:

steealth change

I've occasionally debated writing a thing to compare two sets of wargame data (since it seems to leave old patch data behind) to produce a kind of automatic changelog, would there be an actual desire for this? It'd probably need someone like you or Shanakin to actually interpret the output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Enigma89 posted:

That looks like it but it is missing a couple of forests. Dual Field was the best map because there were only a few points where you could really bunker down and hold. A lot of the map was open so you could push and pull the lines which was the best in W:EE. ALB and Red Dragon seem to have more static lines and a lot more snipes with artillery/airplanes to accumulate most of the points after the lines have been established.

Sniping won't accumulate points in God's Chosen Gamemode.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Sniping won't accumulate points in God's Chosen Gamemode.

Yes, but it can prevent someone from gaining momentum and bog the game down into a +1 for 40 minutes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Eugen really should just put in a modloader since they're so bad at balancing. It wouldn't even be that difficult considering literally ever mod is just a different .dat file and executable.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Eugen really should just put in a modloader since they're so bad at balancing. It wouldn't even be that difficult considering literally ever mod is just a different .dat file and executable.

I wish we had Vietnam style maps and small (60-80mm maximum) mortars. Would be a lot of fun.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

power crystals posted:

I've occasionally debated writing a thing to compare two sets of wargame data (since it seems to leave old patch data behind) to produce a kind of automatic changelog, would there be an actual desire for this? It'd probably need someone like you or Shanakin to actually interpret the output.

This would actually be really loving nice for when we need to update our spreadsheets, and to see if Eugen has hosed up something they didn't mean to ASAP :v:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Xerxes17 posted:

This would actually be really loving nice for when we need to update our spreadsheets, and to see if Eugen has hosed up something they didn't mean to ASAP :v:

You could probably already do it well enough with diff, WinMerge or similar tool since the output is CSV but far be it from me to deny someone his coding pleasure.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Hob_Gadling posted:

You could probably already do it well enough with diff, WinMerge or similar tool since the output is CSV but far be it from me to deny someone his coding pleasure.

I actually hadn't thought of that, that would probably get you 95% of the way there as is. But it still seems like a fun challenge and really that's the only part that matters :v:.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes, basically. You can have a great IFV at 20 points, but you only get 1 card of it. Now you actually need to decide which infantry you bring in those good IFVs, and you have to bring some of your infantry in less good IFVs.

As for the whole "I still throw away humvees at 10 points just like I did with the 1 points trucks" thing. Yes that's the whole point. You're now throwing away something that actually cost you a significant amount of points. The 1 point truck scouting wasn't bad because of verisimilitude, it was bad because it was practically free.

You're really being confused by the point cost of the humvee. Once the humvee has dropped off its infantry, and assuming that you're not going to load up and go driving again, the humvee has no value. What you paid to bring it in doesn't matter in the slightest, that's sunk cost. If you're not using it as a transport the humvee has a very limited set of uses, like being a tripwire in a forest because of its terrible optics, chasing unarmed units with its .50 cal (yeah right!) or being an ATGM sponge. ATGM sponge is probably the most efficient choice. The 10 points cost is irrelevant to your decision of what to do with the thing after you've bought it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

You're really being confused by the point cost of the humvee. Once the humvee has dropped off its infantry, and assuming that you're not going to load up and go driving again, the humvee has no value. What you paid to bring it in doesn't matter in the slightest, that's sunk cost. If you're not using it as a transport the humvee has a very limited set of uses, like being a tripwire in a forest because of its terrible optics, chasing unarmed units with its .50 cal (yeah right!) or being an ATGM sponge. ATGM sponge is probably the most efficient choice. The 10 points cost is irrelevant to your decision of what to do with the thing after you've bought it.

He's not confused at all--the point is that because humvees are 10 points rather than 1 point, you have fewer of these chaff, and humvees have legimitate value because they are armed.

Personally I think throwing away transports at the opponent as an ATGM sponge is a pretty dumb waste of a perfectly good unit. Transports have guns and can make the difference in infantry fights if you use them properly, they provide some inexpensive flank security (tripwire in a forest is actually a pretty important job) and I think a lot of people make the mistake of not re-using their transports. If you set down some infantry, then the frontline moves 5km forwards, then send your transports pack, pick up your infantry, and use them in the next attack. It seriously saves you a lot of points because you don't have to keep re-buying infantry, which are now fairly expensive.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The .50 cal is no serious threat to anything except individual stray helicopters that wander too close to it. .50 cals don't do significant damage to infantry, especially not infantry in buildings, and any vehicle, armed or not, can serve as a forest tripwire.

The .50 cal does not make the Humvee worth 10 points. It's unarmored and dies instantly to everything. It doesn't even have 10 loving hitpoints. To say nothing of the HMV, which is unarmed and still 10 points.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 1, 2014

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Fun fact: The S. Korean Blackhawk transports have "medium" optics!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Oh fields, my fields!
Or how I learned to stop worrying and get tanks to be more used.

Intro
Currently we see very little use of tanks outside of the extreme ends of “the best” and “the cheapest”. Which is a poor thing as I’m sure everyone would like to see more Pattons, T-72’s and Leopards (and tigers and OH MY) driving around killing things. To me there is a confluence of factors:

-Not cheap enough
-Most not accurate enough
-Surrounded by threats

Tanks (and by extension, armor decks) need to be made kings of the fields to be the counterpart of the infantry being queens of the forests and cities. By doing so, we can hopefully move RD into not being such a heavily focused infantry game. They don't need to be overpowered to be buyable, but I think a meta with a lot of tanks moving around and being disposed of would make for a better game than tanks only being usable on the extremes of price/capability. Tanks are the most tactically deep unit in the wargame engine. They have meaningful speed, range, directional armor, they can fight on the move, etc. Having them be a main event would not be a bad thing for the game.

Not cheap enough
Currently tanks are in general not cheap enough for the middle category as they are only good at beating up on lower end tanks, but the top end tanks are able to do that even better while still being able to eat mediums for breakfast.

However that is only to look at things from a tank on tank perspective. Once we consider the whole range of LAWs, RPGs, and ATGMs threatening tanks, we’ll find that the much vaunted armor isn't much to write home about. As a result tanks have a rather brittle and short-lived life.

quote:

“The tank’s fast but the armor’s crap!”
-Sardonic tankmen saying after T-34 armor was surpassed

So with that in mind, tanks need to be made more disposable. Currently if you lose two tanks on the attack, that can often be a big chunk of your attack unless it’s T-55 spam. This is seen with infantry attacks: the loss of two rifle squads is not a big deal. The loss of two M60A3’s should be the same in terms of concern. This would allow for more risky flanking maneuvers. The old T-72M of North Korean fame should have been a harbinger of future price balancing to come, not something to be nerfed back into line. If tracked vehicles are to be the slower and more ponderous method of fighting the battle compared to helicopter or wheeled forces, they sorely need to be an absolute sledge hammer. For that they need ability and numbers for en masse attacks.

My thinking here is generally that all tanks are too expensive, but because of the price ranges this matters way more at the bottom-end than anywhere else. I also think Eugen balances too much based on price (i.e. "Destruction Value") and not enough on Availability (which tends to matter much more in Conquest than Destruction). We don't have enough tanks where "availability" is really a value in itself. I think that "low-end" tanks should be cost-inefficient relative to medium tanks (so almost the same price); however, they should be very AP-efficient, meaning it is easy to add them to a deck.

Medium tanks should be much more price-efficient (almost as cheap as light tanks are now) but should have much less availability, meaning that you must burn a lot of AP if you plan on using them carelessly. You can expand 2-card tanks to 3-card tanks of reduced availability, and I think the change would be both balanced and still make both tank fighting and deck building more interesting.

Finally, heavy tanks (example, T-80BV) need to be more price efficient, but at minimal availability (much like they are now) as they are now being out-competed by uber-heavies.

Pricing medium tanks in the same range as infantry+IFV groups ($35-50 pts) seems very reasonable to me, so long as availability is such that they can't simply be spammed everywhere. Even in that case, I question how effective the tactic would be -- maps are much larger now than in EE, so the ability to detect a tank push early and then respond accordingly is much greater. Tanks used in such a fashion would just cause the enemy to concentrate air power on you.

Not Accurate Enough
Seriously, tanks should not be having sub WW2 hit rates for weapons that have laser range finders and APDSFS ammo. The limiting factor in mediums engaging “better” tanks should be range (already accounted for) and AP vs AV. A Leopard 1A2 having 40% accuracy isn't going to become a T-80U slayer, but certainly will be much more dangerous to it’s natural prey: other light tanks and vehicles.

Surrounded by Threats
A short list:
ATGM (ground)
ATGM(helo)
ATGM(air)
RPG’s
Other tanks
Cluster bombs
HE bombs
Tank destroyers
Unsecured Forests
Unsecured Cities
Tanks are far more affected by bad morale due to how cannons work

Essentially, the tank was public enemy No.1 for almost every single other arm on the battlefield. However this is somewhat of a swing and a miss in game as there is a sore absence of tanks to actually shoot at aside from cheap spam and heavy tanks. The point of this however is to say something simple: even if we make tanks much more competitive than they are now, there will still be a hell of a lot of things checking them from overrunning the enemy.

Expand the HEAT tank idea
This would be a good role to give Base T-62 and T-55. The idea behind HEAT-tanks is that they short circuit the progression of tanks so that a drastically lower end tank can hurt the big end tanks with at least 1 damage per HEAT hit. This would mean that you are much encouraged to do more than just rely solely on a few heavy tanks as you are then at risk of getting swarmed. This would encourage the use of mediums further as they then become a cheap source of extra HP as they will have enough armor to “defeat” the low AP of the small HEAT guns. This would also be a good way of re-purposing redundant units also.

Conclusion
More tanks = more movement which will mean more mobile and engaging gameplay. Pure ATGM helicopters would be more valuable due to their ability to get more missiles on target for cheap. Bombers would no longer be able to shut down an entire attack with a single run as you could actually have the numbers to spread out a big enough number of tanks to make a wide frontage attack. Massing a reserve for an attack on an unexpected point would be made easier.

Suggestions
I figured that we should work out good price points and then work on making the list after that. I personally think that the T-72A/M60A3/AMX-30B2/Chieftain Mk.5 (short list) being pegged at 35pts would be a good place to start from.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Right now as it stands a pretty simple way of demonstrating that things are totally out of whack is that against everything but tanks, a tank that is twice the price of another tank is by far not going to be twice as useful against any target or threat as a tank half its price except for the uberheavies, which can really weather a significant amount of fire indefinitely. Since tanks that aren't top tier can be erased relatively trivially (hi Kahu!) if present in small numbers and the predators for tanks are a lot more prevalent than tanks, the primary determinant of tanks' price shouldn't be their combat utility against tanks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Got bored, made an all Gavin deck:

XpAxg4j60BIHkqRPJUimPIwwcR9lekbedI5jyMI4I9QPowgfRgYuVnKltG2jbX1pa03STJW0raTgoIkdKSpHWlDMVr64ykjSRhZLswiUVLdpuzndCsA=

Anything particular I'm missing that also comes in an M113?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I saw someone else post it in this thread (or the last one) but I think the game would greatly benefit from setting the "bottom" price to 100 points instead of 5, as then you could stick to 5-point increments but have much finer control at the bottom end. As it is right now the difference between a 10 point and a 15 point tank (or 15 and 20, etc) feels kind of arbitrary.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

XpAxg4j60BIHkqRPJUimPIwwcR9lekbedI5jyMI4I9QPowgfRgYuVnKltG2jbX1pa03STJW0raTgoIkdKSpHWlDMVr64ykjSRhZLswiUVLdpuzndCsA=

No Gavin deck is complete until Eugen adds this

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

power crystals posted:

I saw someone else post it in this thread (or the last one) but I think the game would greatly benefit from setting the "bottom" price to 100 points instead of 5, as then you could stick to 5-point increments but have much finer control at the bottom end. As it is right now the difference between a 10 point and a 15 point tank (or 15 and 20, etc) feels kind of arbitrary.

Eh, I kind of agree but the big problem with this is you're forced to expand the top end massively, perhaps more so, anyway. Because if just add 100pts to everything and rebalance off that, but you want to keep the "saving pts time" for each unit the same you have to bump income up from around 5-7pts every for seconts to 50pts or so. Your reserve units can now come in every 8 seconds, like normal, but your M1A1, which would normally take ~100s of saving for can be bought in about ~22 despite being 280pts now.

So the lack of granularity comes mostly down to a lack of scale to move in anyway. They need to boost up the top end somewhat regardless, boost income rate a bit and just accept you can get cheap stuff a bit faster and make better use of the range they gain.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ditch the planes you've got, add more Skyhawks.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Not sure if it is historical but would it be better medium tanks were a bit faster over open ground? It's part of what makes tanks like the Brennus so great.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I am in love with the French recon tanks. The wheeled AMX-10 RC is a pretty fast tank with a pretty good gun for that price (I guess it's also available for 10 less on the tank tab, but the spotting and stealth has been tremendously useful). The AMX-13/90 with its HEAT 19rof provides excellent dakka in the proper position. I love wrecking infantry that think it's clever and tries to sneak past, and I love doing some sneaking of my own with them and catching a whole network of enemy AA unawares. As funny as it sounds, they may be my favorite part of the Eurocorps deck.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 1, 2014

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Just ditch the planes entirely. The whole point of going full Gavin (never go full Gavin) is that an aluminium metal box, modified for every purpose, is the apex predator of military hardware and clearly all you ever need.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 1, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

He's not confused at all--the point is that because humvees are 10 points rather than 1 point, you have fewer of these chaff, and humvees have legimitate value because they are armed.

Personally I think throwing away transports at the opponent as an ATGM sponge is a pretty dumb waste of a perfectly good unit. Transports have guns and can make the difference in infantry fights if you use them properly, they provide some inexpensive flank security (tripwire in a forest is actually a pretty important job) and I think a lot of people make the mistake of not re-using their transports. If you set down some infantry, then the frontline moves 5km forwards, then send your transports pack, pick up your infantry, and use them in the next attack. It seriously saves you a lot of points because you don't have to keep re-buying infantry, which are now fairly expensive.

I agree that transports have a lot of uses (I would not throw away VABs for example) but the Humvee is unarmored which I think makes it special among the 10 point transports.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Llyranor posted:

I am in love with the French recon tanks. The wheeled AMX-10 RC is a pretty fast tank with a pretty good gun for that price (I guess it's also available for 10 less on the tank tab, but the spotting and stealth has been tremendously useful). The AMX-13/90 with its HEAT 19rof provides excellent dakka in the proper position. I love wrecking infantry that think it's clever and tries to sneak past, and I love doing some sneaking of my own with them and catching a whole network of enemy AA unawares. As funny as it sounds, they may be my favorite part of the Eurocorps deck.

Played my AY EM ECKS armored deck in a 10v10 for the first time today and yes, the AMX-13/90 is an awesome little recon bug. Using the AMX-30B is kind of a headfuck where you can't get close and ensure a kill; I even had an AMX-30B decide its autocannon was more effective in a point-blank fight a few times. It was worth it for the 2-3 times I watched a T-80UM retreat in confusion and then die to a platoon of three medium tanks though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Xerxes17 posted:

Oh fields, my fields!
Or how I learned to stop worrying and get tanks to be more used.

Intro
Currently we see very little use of tanks outside of the extreme ends of “the best” and “the cheapest”. Which is a poor thing as I’m sure everyone would like to see more Pattons, T-72’s and Leopards (and tigers and OH MY) driving around killing things. To me there is a confluence of factors:

-Not cheap enough
-Most not accurate enough
-Surrounded by threats

Tanks (and by extension, armor decks) need to be made kings of the fields to be the counterpart of the infantry being queens of the forests and cities. By doing so, we can hopefully move RD into not being such a heavily focused infantry game. They don't need to be overpowered to be buyable, but I think a meta with a lot of tanks moving around and being disposed of would make for a better game than tanks only being usable on the extremes of price/capability. Tanks are the most tactically deep unit in the wargame engine. They have meaningful speed, range, directional armor, they can fight on the move, etc. Having them be a main event would not be a bad thing for the game.

Not cheap enough
Currently tanks are in general not cheap enough for the middle category as they are only good at beating up on lower end tanks, but the top end tanks are able to do that even better while still being able to eat mediums for breakfast.

However that is only to look at things from a tank on tank perspective. Once we consider the whole range of LAWs, RPGs, and ATGMs threatening tanks, we’ll find that the much vaunted armor isn't much to write home about. As a result tanks have a rather brittle and short-lived life.

So with that in mind, tanks need to be made more disposable. Currently if you lose two tanks on the attack, that can often be a big chunk of your attack unless it’s T-55 spam. This is seen with infantry attacks: the loss of two rifle squads is not a big deal. The loss of two M60A3’s should be the same in terms of concern. This would allow for more risky flanking maneuvers. The old T-72M of North Korean fame should have been a harbinger of future price balancing to come, not something to be nerfed back into line. If tracked vehicles are to be the slower and more ponderous method of fighting the battle compared to helicopter or wheeled forces, they sorely need to be an absolute sledge hammer. For that they need ability and numbers for en masse attacks.

My thinking here is generally that all tanks are too expensive, but because of the price ranges this matters way more at the bottom-end than anywhere else. I also think Eugen balances too much based on price (i.e. "Destruction Value") and not enough on Availability (which tends to matter much more in Conquest than Destruction). We don't have enough tanks where "availability" is really a value in itself. I think that "low-end" tanks should be cost-inefficient relative to medium tanks (so almost the same price); however, they should be very AP-efficient, meaning it is easy to add them to a deck.

Medium tanks should be much more price-efficient (almost as cheap as light tanks are now) but should have much less availability, meaning that you must burn a lot of AP if you plan on using them carelessly. You can expand 2-card tanks to 3-card tanks of reduced availability, and I think the change would be both balanced and still make both tank fighting and deck building more interesting.

Finally, heavy tanks (example, T-80BV) need to be more price efficient, but at minimal availability (much like they are now) as they are now being out-competed by uber-heavies.

Pricing medium tanks in the same range as infantry+IFV groups ($35-50 pts) seems very reasonable to me, so long as availability is such that they can't simply be spammed everywhere. Even in that case, I question how effective the tactic would be -- maps are much larger now than in EE, so the ability to detect a tank push early and then respond accordingly is much greater. Tanks used in such a fashion would just cause the enemy to concentrate air power on you.

Not Accurate Enough
Seriously, tanks should not be having sub WW2 hit rates for weapons that have laser range finders and APDSFS ammo. The limiting factor in mediums engaging “better” tanks should be range (already accounted for) and AP vs AV. A Leopard 1A2 having 40% accuracy isn't going to become a T-80U slayer, but certainly will be much more dangerous to it’s natural prey: other light tanks and vehicles.

Surrounded by Threats
A short list:
ATGM (ground)
ATGM(helo)
ATGM(air)
RPG’s
Other tanks
Cluster bombs
HE bombs
Tank destroyers
Unsecured Forests
Unsecured Cities
Tanks are far more affected by bad morale due to how cannons work

Essentially, the tank was public enemy No.1 for almost every single other arm on the battlefield. However this is somewhat of a swing and a miss in game as there is a sore absence of tanks to actually shoot at aside from cheap spam and heavy tanks. The point of this however is to say something simple: even if we make tanks much more competitive than they are now, there will still be a hell of a lot of things checking them from overrunning the enemy.

Expand the HEAT tank idea
This would be a good role to give Base T-62 and T-55. The idea behind HEAT-tanks is that they short circuit the progression of tanks so that a drastically lower end tank can hurt the big end tanks with at least 1 damage per HEAT hit. This would mean that you are much encouraged to do more than just rely solely on a few heavy tanks as you are then at risk of getting swarmed. This would encourage the use of mediums further as they then become a cheap source of extra HP as they will have enough armor to “defeat” the low AP of the small HEAT guns. This would also be a good way of re-purposing redundant units also.

Conclusion
More tanks = more movement which will mean more mobile and engaging gameplay. Pure ATGM helicopters would be more valuable due to their ability to get more missiles on target for cheap. Bombers would no longer be able to shut down an entire attack with a single run as you could actually have the numbers to spread out a big enough number of tanks to make a wide frontage attack. Massing a reserve for an attack on an unexpected point would be made easier.

Suggestions
I figured that we should work out good price points and then work on making the list after that. I personally think that the T-72A/M60A3/AMX-30B2/Chieftain Mk.5 (short list) being pegged at 35pts would be a good place to start from.

One other thing worth noting is that I think the relatively low accuracy is somewhat necessitated by the "first-shot-free" aim time tanks have -- if they had higher accuracy, then that would be really unbalanced against infantry/ATGM trucks trying to ambush them! The real solution would be to remove that, however.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
For anyone interested, my infantry work just went up in all its glory.
link to pubbie forum

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did you just not apply my changes or did you detect the AmericaniZed spelling and revert it? I thought I might manage to sneak a few zs by you. :)

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I used diff on the versions, fixed the actual errors. Also some of your changes gave it the wrong meaning, but that's partly because my wording was ambiguous (and looked slightly duplicative) anyway.

Really appreciated the comments though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just got the joke in Atoll Inbound. Atoll was a NATO reporting name for a Soviet missile!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Shanakin posted:

For anyone interested, my infantry work just went up in all its glory.
link to pubbie forum

Both this and Xerxes' tank analysis a few posts up in this thread are excellent and I'd love to see them acted upon by Eugen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So this may be off topic but now that the nuclear holocaust scenario of the Cold War is fading from the public imagination, do you think it's better or worse than the environmental collapse scenario that the world seems headed for now? Just curious whether pushing the button in the 1960s might have saved the human race from its own ravenous depredations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
worse, no matter how you slice it.

a collapse of civilization holocaust is worse for obvious reasons

more limited destruction would probably result in societies that don't care much about the environment and a collapse of the international order. both of which would result in a LOT of environmental damage, above and beyond that inflicted by nuclear detonations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Uggghhh let's not go down that road.

Pubbies seem to like Shanakin's thread but I'm not sure for most of them if it's because they've actually internalized the conclusions or just that they're wowed by all the charts.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah Xerxes, I didn't have a good idea about your tank table earlier (blame me playing other games too much). After reading that post, I'll take another look. I like the concept.

Arglebargle III posted:

So this may be off topic but now that the nuclear holocaust scenario of the Cold War is fading from the public imagination, do you think it's better or worse than the environmental collapse scenario that the world seems headed for now? Just curious whether pushing the button in the 1960s might have saved the human race from its own ravenous depredations.

This feels like a Pandora's box of a question, but IMO it'll really depend on how we approach the real serious poo poo (stuff like China poisoning all its land) in the next 25-50 years. From a certain perspective though, we seem pretty loving doomed as a society any way you cut it. Too many interconnected factors that result in the deaths of a couple billion people. The nukes wouldn't have saved us from that per say, just reset the clock of civilization in a similar way.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 1, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Uggghhh let's not go down that road.

Pubbies seem to like Shanakin's thread but I'm not sure for most of them if it's because they've actually internalized the conclusions or just that they're wowed by all the charts.

In my experience, lots of charts and lots of words is very convincing to the average forum pubbie regardless of the quality of charts or words. I've tried to make my words and charts not too bad though.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i have been playing a bunch of games against the computer, and goddamn is it hard. So much goes on at once that I can't get good tactical control of the battlefield. I can't position my troops where they need to be, i can't ensure for example that my AAA doesnt run out in front of the tanks they are guarding, and so on.

Heeeellpp!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Try slowing the game down. I don't know if this works in skirmish but it does in the campaign.

One thing that might help is changing what units you are using. For example, the OSA-AKM is a good AA unit with wheels and is pretty fast. If you try band moving it with tanks it will outrun them most of the time. A slower tracked AA unit might be easier to manage. Faster tanks would help too, or maybe a tank-chassis SPAAG such as the Challenger Marksman.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, on a lighter note, WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE GAME EUGEN?! :argh:

Russia has one too so it's balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRg4FKFBpBI

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 1, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
given how fast planes come in it probably is :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Try slowing the game down. I don't know if this works in skirmish but it does in the campaign.

One thing that might help is changing what units you are using. For example, the OSA-AKM is a good AA unit with wheels and is pretty fast. If you try band moving it with tanks it will outrun them most of the time. A slower tracked AA unit might be easier to manage. Faster tanks would help too, or maybe a tank-chassis SPAAG such as the Challenger Marksman.

is there any way to set formations, so tanks would always be in the 'front' of the formation, no matter which way they are moving or pointing?

• Locked thread