Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010

anakha posted:

Forgive my ignorance - who's the guy in the middle?

The president of Mongolia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mister Twister posted:

The president of Mongolia

oh well now i feel a lot less stupid for not knowing who that was

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

oh well now i feel a lot less stupid for not knowing who that was

Yeah, nobody of any consequence. We'd have crucified you for not recognizing an ex-rikishi sans 200 lbs :v:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I wanna fly over Japan dropping copies of that picture all over.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I wanna fly over Japan dropping copies of that picture all over.

Mongolia's version of:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Natsu (Summer) 2014 Banzuke

code:
Hakuho       Y1   Harumafuji
Kakuryu      Y2   ---
Kisenosato   O    Kotoshogiku
Goeido       S    Tochiozan
Yoshikaze    K    Chiyootori

Aoiyama      M1   Takekaze
Chiyotairyu  M2   Takarafuji
Aminishiki   M3   Kyokutenho
Endo         M4   Toyonoshima
Shohozan     M5   Ikioi
Kaisei       M6   Tamawashi
Homasho      M7   Tokushoryu
Myogiryu     M8   Takayasu
Terunofuji   M9   Okinoumi
Osunaarashi  M10  Tochinowaka
Toyohibiki   M11  Chiyomaru
Takanoiwa    M12  Jokoryu
Masunoyama   M13  Kitataiki
Gagamaru     M14  Tokitenku
Kyokushuho   M15  Sokokurai
Arawashi     M16  Chiyonokuni
Sadanoumi    M17  ---
We now have the strange situation of more Yokozuna than Ozeki, I have a feeling that will change soon.

Notes:
Kakuryu Y2e
There is a new Yokozuna, everyone knows that and yada yada yada his performance.

Goeido S1e
Coming off his best record ever in Sanyaku ranks, he needs just 10 wins to promote to Ozeki

Yoshikaze K1e
Despite being in Makuuchi since 2006, this is his first time to claw up to Sanyaku

Chiyo'otori K1w
On the other end of the scale, in sanyaku in his fourth makuuchi championship. Take that Endo!

Endo M4e
Probably won't have to fight all of the sanyaku guys here.

Homasho M7e
Promotes out of Juryo all the way to M7. Has had a lot of injury trouble lately though.

Osuna'arashi M10e
Barely grabbed a winning record last time, hope he is better now.

Ichinojo J10
This new guy is a monster but we'll see if he can keep up with the pace of upper divisions.

Tochinoshin Ms6
We should see him promote into Juryo next time but there are a lot of college/foreign entrants at this level who are untested.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
OK so riddle me this: Chiyootori and Aoiyama were both M5 last basho and both had a 9-6 record, but Chiyootori gets promoted to komusubi whereas Aoiyama is only M1

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tsaedje posted:

OK so riddle me this: Chiyootori and Aoiyama were both M5 last basho and both had a 9-6 record, but Chiyootori gets promoted to komusubi whereas Aoiyama is only M1

chiyootori is japanese.

e: as a serious answer i don't know why chiyootori was promoted over aoiyama. maybe because he faced an ozeki and aoiyama didn't?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

a false posted:

chiyootori is japanese.

e: as a serious answer i don't know why chiyootori was promoted over aoiyama. maybe because he faced an ozeki and aoiyama didn't?

I was thinking maybe because Chiyootori had a winning record in the previous basho, and Aoiyama didn't. But then Chiyootori's win in January was against far weaker opponents than Aoiyama's loss.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

chiyootori is japanese.

To be fair, East is considered higher than West for a specific rank, Yokozuna included. Chiyo was E and Aoi was W, so he has the slight edge. Both beat a Komusubi and nothing above, so no idea if that would also have been used as a tiebreaker.

Chiyo started a little stronger too, which is why he ended up against an Ozeki later on.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Aoiyama has back hair which is strongly looked down upon in the world of sumo.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

To be fair, East is considered higher than West for a specific rank, Yokozuna included. Chiyo was E and Aoi was W, so he has the slight edge. Both beat a Komusubi and nothing above, so no idea if that would also have been used as a tiebreaker.

Chiyo started a little stronger too, which is why he ended up against an Ozeki later on.

imo aoiyama should have gotten the promotion because chiyootori got a fusensho win

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm all for Aoiyama not getting promotions he deserves because his Michelin man fat rolls are really gross

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
no disagreement there :barf:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Aoiyama has back hair which is strongly looked down upon in the world of sumo.

Aran might be the last back-haired sanyaku rikishi..

Aoiyama is a grotesque human being. Acne, body hair, by far the worst gynomastia in sumo, and the copious fat rolls.

On that note, it's funny that the Japanese gain weight so much more gracefully. Even Toyonoshima has a perfectly round and kawaii belly. Baruto carried it pretty well, but the rest of the Europeans are pretty nasty when huge.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

gynomastia

You're gross for teaching me this gross word. Gross.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Gagamaru's grey blubber...

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's actually gynecomastia what's causing those sagging moobs.

This basho is also the first time since November 2000 that there are three yokozuna competing, and also the first time since March 2000 that there are more yokozuna than ozeki on the banzuke.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

It's actually gynecomastia what's causing those sagging moobs.

This basho is also the first time since November 2000 that there are three yokozuna competing, and also the first time since March 2000 that there are more yokozuna than ozeki on the banzuke.

poo poo, and I used to know the proper spelling, too. Thanks, Android, for your worthless spell check/auto complete.

I wonder which yokozuna will retire first. Harumafuji's most likely to kyujo, Kakuryu most likely to disappoint, and Hakuho has just been at it forever even though he hasn't slowed down.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Sorry, I was actually thinking of Kaisei when I said Aoiyama has back hair. Kaisei's back hair and chest hair end at a line around his neck that make it look like he's wearing a sweater with a wide neck. Always cracks me up!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hakuho got the flu right after the last competition, and has lost 5 kilograms of weight from the last weigh in.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Uncle Jam posted:

Hakuho got the flu right after the last competition, and has lost 5 kilograms of weight from the last weigh in.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of weight. Is he better now? It would be very interesting to see the first basho after a yokozuna promotion lacking in the top wrestler.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that sumo wrestlers weigh a lot, this is about a 3% drop in body weight for him. He probably eats more than 5,000 calories on a normal day, so even a few days where he is sick and can't eat much can result in rapid weight loss, and it would be tough to gain that weight back in a short period.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

And we're off! Hell of a start, too.

Sumo - Natsu Basho 2014 Day 1 May 11th 大相撲

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jesus Christ Sadanomi, what did that other guy ever do to you?

Takayasu and Shohozan are half-Filipino!? I feel obligated to root for them now.

Awful lot of Mongolians in makuuchi this basho.

Endo with a topknot just seems strangely wrong.

Yoshikaze :staredog:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yoshikazi owns, Harumafuji vacate

anakha posted:

Jesus Christ Sadanomi, what did that other guy ever do to you?

Takayasu and Shohozan are half-Filipino!? I feel obligated to root for them now.

Awful lot of Mongolians in makuuchi this basho.

Endo with a topknot just seems strangely wrong.

Yoshikaze :staredog:

There are a ton of vacant foreign spots from all the retirements, a lot of Monogolians in MS and Juryo right now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Some good sumo eh

Day 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imU0KWxpJ-I

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 13, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm afraid the end is nigh for my boy Homasho, but it's hard to argue against it being pretty exciting thus far. The ripple effect of having 3 yokozuna instead of 2 is bigger than I thought. All of a sudden it seems like 12-3 would be a good result for one, whereas before it would be borderline shameful.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0YF4-IEPY

Guess the sand in the dohyo wasn't packed very tightly today.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 13, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Sumo - Natsu Basho 2014 Day 4 , May 14th

Won't want to miss this one, folks. Action, comedy, drama, suspense, and plenty of fatties banging.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Topnotch performance by Endo there. Ozeki, not so much.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Aminishiki :black101:

Endo :black101:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Just Winging It posted:

Topnotch performance by Endo there. Ozeki, not so much.

Agreed.

I think I was really surprised because Endo usually doesn't make a good showing against stronger opponents.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Funkysauce posted:

Agreed.

I think I was really surprised because Endo usually doesn't make a good showing against stronger opponents.

Didn't Endo almost take Kakuryu out on day 2/3 last basho? I seem to recall Kakuryu making a clutch save or something

edit - it was day 1, as seen in the first few seconds here

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 14, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 5, y'all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ys-6iul1YQ

Not a good day for 4-0 rikishi.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 16, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVsKkS4NeE

So many sotogakes this basho! It's getting ridiculous.

Awesome throws too, particularly that kotenage from Ikioi.

Harumafuji was unlucky to have lost after that steamroller of a tachi-ai, but kudos to Toyonoshima for withstanding it and getting the win.

Hakuho's got at least one loss in him in the basho, he's just not looking his imperious best (and yet he's the only one who's undefeated!)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 5 shows up as private for me. Here's the proper one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvl12314jg

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Kotooushuu looks so :smith: at 3:44

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I just wanted to say, :stare: for the Harumafuji match. That was awesome. Like, "Oh yeah, shove ME? Try this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Haha Shouhouzan and Takayasu. Taught me something new.