Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

What is this person's job?

Probably a director or VP of IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CaptainGimpy posted:

Probably a director or VP of IT.

My follow-up question was going to be "How much more than you do they make?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

I work for a small ISP. A customer called in today saying that he'd been offline for a while and, after some basic troubleshooting, I decided that we needed to send out a technician to take a look at things.

For whatever reason, this guy does NOT want us coming into his apartment, so he is proposing that the technician do all of his work out in the hallway of his unit. I told him repeatedly that we will need to get into his apartment, but he just got more and more upset and accused me of causing him stress and anxiety. At one point he interrupted me to yell just "SUPERVISOR!" as his way of asking to talk to my superior.

In the end, I ended up just scheduling him. He's going to be parked outside of his apartment with his computer, but we'll see how the tech feels about that.

He's probably growing weed in there.

The callcenter I worked at took calls for Verizon DSL and later Verizon FIOS. We had some paranoid as poo poo customers call in, including an insane conspiracy theorist who kept trying to explain to the NSA/FBI/aliens listening to the call that he wasn't doing anything illegal, he was within his rights, and that they needed to stop loving with his internet connection when trying to hack his computer, because he was tired of having to call us to fix it for him.

He called in several times a week. For 8 months, at which point I left the company. I have no idea how long he kept it up after that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

We had a guy call in two jobs ago every few months for about 30 seconds worth of tech support, at which point he would give up and treat the remaining 59 minutes of the call as therapy. We heard about how he orders hats in bulk, how his mom hates his wife, his and his wife's swinger sex life, it was absolutely amazing.

For some reason, the sales guy got that call EVERY. TIME.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My unfortunate mother works in a call center and has similar stories. They're not allowed to hang up or ask the person to hang up, but they still get dinged if a call lasts too long and isn't a big order or whatever. Old grandmas call just to have somebody to chat with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Phase One of a ahge project finished today. Migrated our ticketing system to a new server, and it was an interesting adventure. Total new build from scratch to fix some horrible database issues from previous upgrades.

On the plus side, I already have a bunch of the Phase Two stuff done...

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

If you want to take a jab at the user: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Basics-Windows-ebook/dp/B00AR199UO

It's actually a good line of books though.

Kindle edition? :raise:

..or is that the joke? :ohdear:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FireSight posted:

He's probably growing weed in there.
Or he doesn't want to show off his large collection of pony dolls.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

No, usually those people want to show off their pony dolls as much as possible.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

What is this person's job?

Account lead at blackswordca's company

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

That would just make me super-interested. What do they want with them?

Nothing interesting, just 40 years of service. I think they want them for some dumb presentation. I'm sure they want to blowup the 225x225 images to a full 8.5x11 photo and glue them on to a poster or something.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

beepsandboops posted:

I work for a small ISP. A customer called in today saying that he'd been offline for a while and, after some basic troubleshooting, I decided that we needed to send out a technician to take a look at things.

For whatever reason, this guy does NOT want us coming into his apartment, so he is proposing that the technician do all of his work out in the hallway of his unit. I told him repeatedly that we will need to get into his apartment, but he just got more and more upset and accused me of causing him stress and anxiety. At one point he interrupted me to yell just "SUPERVISOR!" as his way of asking to talk to my superior.

In the end, I ended up just scheduling him. He's going to be parked outside of his apartment with his computer, but we'll see how the tech feels about that.
I'm guessing mega-hoarder. His internet isn't working because the router is filled with rat poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

martyrdumb posted:

I'm guessing mega-hoarder. His internet isn't working because the router is filled with rat poo poo.

This was my first guess as well. Modem overheated due to the pile of crushed dead cats on top.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an IM conversation occurred.

:eng101: hey manager. The two computers we sent up to <remote client in Nunavut> only have a single account with their domain admin password as the password. I was able to macgyver the desktop to get it working, but I cannot connect to the laptop at all. What options do you want me to give them?
:downs: Hey blackswordca, have you tried RDPing into it?
:eng101: ...yes.
:downs: have you tried logging into the local admin account?
:eng101: I cant give him the password, its the same as the domain admin
:downs: what about the other local admin account we setup?
:eng101: whoever setup the PC didn't set one up. Its only the single account.
:downs: did you have them type in user as the username?
:eng101: no, windows is showing all the local accounts as clickable, there is only one account listed. The desktop that I was able to get into only had one as well.
:downs: give them the domain admin password

This IM conversation is being completely copy-pasted into my internal non-customer facing notes for this ticket.

I expect entrapment to occur

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey, dumb question: what's the easiest way to tell if a Domain Controller is set up as Read-Only Domain Controller?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
AD Sites and Services, view the properties on the DC, its type will be listed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

This IM conversation is being completely copy-pasted into my internal non-customer facing notes for this ticket.

I expect entrapment to occur

I hope for your sake those can't be modified after the fact.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I hope for your sake those can't be modified after the fact.

It can be edited, but only a few people can actually do it. It does show their name, with a date and time stamp of the edit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

blackswordca posted:

It can be edited, but only a few people can actually do it. It does show their name, with a date and time stamp of the edit.
Why don't you push back and say that it's a bad idea to let your domain controller admin password be known to an outside entity? "I'm uncomfortable with doing that because it reveals our domain password to the customer."

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

blackswordca posted:

Save another copy of it somewhere else so if someone does edit it out you can show what was originally there.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Why don't you push back and say that it's a bad idea to let your domain controller admin password be known to an outside entity? "I'm uncomfortable with doing that because it reveals our domain password to the customer."
Whoa dude, calm down, entrapment is illegal what are you doing?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

President Ark posted:

Save another copy of it somewhere else so if someone does edit it out you can show what was originally there.

already took a screenshot of it in a non-editable format and emailed it to my personal email

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KoRMaK posted:

As much as security by obscurity is a bad thing, at least they won't know it's also the DC admin password. Right ?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A ticket policy wanted to change!

%other_team%: "We want all tickets forwarded from helpdesk/Systems/Network to require a screenshot of the issue, if we are to troubleshoot any issues forwarded to us."

Needless to say it didn't last long.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

As much as security by obscurity is a bad thing, at least they won't know it's also the DC admin password. Right ?

That's kind of what I've been thinking too, and if it was for anyone but his company I'd probably say it was a bad idea. But they don't seem to give two shits about much of anything, so he might as well do it so long as his A is sufficiently C'ed.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

A creative excuse came in.

Usual corporate webapp situation. Im being presented to by one of the developer/maintenance people and have to stiffle a laugh when im told they have to set up a very specific version of ie to run the thing becuase of the way $mycompanyname build their systems.

That would be the horrible crime of having a version of ie that isnt 8 years old and using 64bit architecture. Still really nice way to pass the buck on building a pile of crap webapp.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

they don't seem to give two shits about much of anything, so he might as well do it so long as his A is sufficiently C'ed.
Oh right, thanks for reminding me. I lost my way for a second like we were on some sort of security crusade.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
... to terminate a coworker.

We'd recently been joking about solving wifi issues by coating the floors, ceilings and walls in aluminum foil, on the theory that it would turn the office into a giant Faraday cage.

"Yeah, and it'll solve the problem of cell phones ringing in meetings!"
"Or at all! And no more pesky natural light or polluted air!"
"Hey, if we turn the transmit power high enough, we'll get rid of maternity leave!"

Guess that last one was over the line...

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

sfwarlock posted:

We'd recently been joking about solving wifi issues by coating the floors, ceilings and walls in aluminum foil, on the theory that it would turn the office into a giant Faraday cage.

"Hey, if we turn the transmit power high enough, we'll get rid of maternity leave!"

Well, I thought it was funny. Where you shouting this across the office or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They seriously fired a guy over that? Was this exchange happening during a board meeting or something?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

Did he say this in front of a pregnant woman or CIO/CEO? poo poo at jobs I've worked at we've said much worse.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Given the people we are talking about I'd not be surprised to find out the password is something like DCAdminPassword123

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

sfwarlock posted:

Hahaha I can imagine the awkward silence afterwards

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like coming in and going to log into the content filter and finding you've been locked out.

Our parent company (who recently bought us) are based in NYC and they insist on using their MSP (based in NY) for everything...including support for our office in Maryland. They also insist on me not being allowed to know any of the logins to any of the Cisco devices sitting in my server room. I mean granted I'm no network engineer (yet) but I've been the IT Manager here for three years so if something goes horribly wrong I would like to know the logins so I can at least LOOK at the configuration.

And if something goes down hard? Well looks like we're waiting for someone to get on a train down here! My attempts at getting a local MSP to do our network install fell on deaf ears.

I can't wait to hear their reason for why I'm not allowed to log into the content filter (which has been throwing false positives for eDonkey).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
... for a Geekatoo job; I pick up what I can to earn some extra spending $$ to buy stuff since the wife is on unpaid disability.

Textbook malware cleanup and removal, all remote work, took care of her over three hours. A lot of it was the initial call and the client talking... a lot... about how every tech support service had screwed her over.

I fix things up, tell her what I did, shoot over a summary email, and mark the case closed. Next step, wait for her to agree it's closed and Geekatoo sends me the $$.

It was $91 for the job - bit of a low hourly rate - but I did it all on my rear end on the couch while watching a documentary on the MiG-25.

She left a review:

quote:

Mike was very professional, well spoken, a good listener and very knowledgeable. I have trust issues based on past experience with tech support elsewhere, but in speaking with Mike I was confident he would take care of my problem. AND HE DID! I am happy with the result.

:unsmith:

Kinda felt good for once.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ookiimarukochan posted:

Given the people we are talking about I'd not be surprised to find out the password is something like DCAdminPassword123
I think you're still overestimating them that's way too long, and how are people supposed to remember which words are shortened and which are written out? Surely just the '123' part is good enough, who would think to try that?

That or the password is written on a post-it on the DC itself.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Gotta be the company name.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Sadly its not that complex. It was p@ssw0rd. Ive already put in a ticket recommending we change it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm pretty that was the domain admin account in my Microsoft classes. Is your client Contoso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Wait, don't we all work for Fabrikam?

• Locked thread