Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was thinking about making myself play through every main numbered Final Fantasy (I've only beaten 4, 10, and 13) but what I'm hearing about the others... 2 and 3 in particular... is giving me second thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

I was thinking about making myself play through every main numbered Final Fantasy (I've only beaten 4, 10, and 13) but what I'm hearing about the others... 2 and 3 in particular... is giving me second thoughts.

2 and 3 are really not worth it. 3 in particular is Just Bad. Move on to 5 and you get the best parts of 3 and none of the bullshit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Sagan posted:

FF2 is fine if you know its gimmicks. Then again, I tend to like it more than most do.

FF3 is fine if and only if you play the original NES version. Good christ don't play FF3DS. I love the original FF3 and wouldn't play FF3DS again if my life depended on it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Dr Snofeld posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLbWV_y0Pts

This spot in the south area always triggers a lightning strike if you run over that spot, move far enough away and then run back to it. Knowing when the strike is coming makes it much easier to dodge. Reactive dodging is much harder in the HD version due to some combination of control and display lag. Also note that if you dodge 200 and then miss the 201st you still get the sigil.

It doesn't even track you past dodge 150, right? I have never been able to get more than about 30 but I remember reading it doesn't tell you when you get to 200.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Evil Sagan posted:

FFII is easy to game and you can turn bosses into frogs, so apart from the whole "punching yourself to get stronger" thing being tedious it's pretty okay.

FFIII just play the NES version like everyone suggests and use save states. I'm lying, you should play FFIIIDS :getin:

I've been extremely slowly filling in the gaps in what I've beaten of the main series too - I've only got VI, VII, X-2, and Lightning Returns left. I'm even looking forward to two of those.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh, I also beat Mystic Quest. That should count! It's my first Final Fantasy. :shepface:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Other than exactly one enemy in the game (the Blaze Dogs), I can't think of a single enemy in the game where it goes "they went first and you died" and I did a low-level run of FF4DS. The Blaze Dogs are legitimately dumb design but they're an exception.

Aren't there multiple enemies with that stupid attack that does damage based of the enemy's max HP though?

Anyway, I didn't especially care for FF4DS because they didn't really try to change it being such a fundamentally simple game. I'd probably agree with people who say "well you just have to play the game smarter!", except that its enemies have less status ailment vulnerabilities than the vanilla FF4, and a chunk of those ailments are white magic, which aren't reliable since they use the black magic stat for their hit rates. FF2 hasn't ages super well, but the GBA version fixed a lot of its worst issues and you're still left with a JRPG with a fantastic soundtrack where the main villian tops Kefka by conquering Hell.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

4 through 10 are the only ones worth playing in all honesty. 1-3 have not aged well at all, and 12 & 13 will just make you want to quit and fire up 4-10.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 1, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, XII rules though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Aren't there multiple enemies with that stupid attack that does damage based of the enemy's max HP though?

The problem with the Blaze Dogs is that they are really poorly scaled for the area you are at and do a lot more (comparative) damage and are also the guys who hide inside chests so you kind of have to fight them. They're just a mess of design. They kind of were in the original FF4 too but not as bad as the DS version

As far as status effect: Toad, Stop and Bio are all black magic and all crazy powerful. Sleep, Poison and Break are also all black magic if less overtly good. The two big white magic spells are Silence and Berserk and Berserk's hit rate is literally 100%. Silence got a hit nerf in FF4DS over FF4 classic though. Also Slow but Slow got a buff to its hit rate over FF4, not a nerf.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 1, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

4 through 10 are the only ones worth playing in all honesty. 1-3 have not aged well at all, and 11 & 13 will just make you want to quit and fire up 4-10.
I like 12 and I hear 14 is pretty good now, so take this with a grain of salt.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
14 is okay. Either I'm getting too old or just not enjoying the repetitive nature (in an MMO? You don't say...). Either way, it's a few steps back from WoW in my opinion, although I haven't even fired that one up in over a year or so.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Uh, XII rules though.

I didn't like XII one bit. The battle system felt like a WoW-style MMO, the setting was bland and the characters/plotline fell a bit flat. The battle system was jilted and weird, like if you're going to have a real-time battle system then go all the way with it, Tales style. Don't have it be some mess where you select "attack" and stare at your enemy for ten seconds until you finally attack.

However, I will say this: I would be willing to give it a second chance if it ever got a Vita remaster. I played it the year it came out and got about one-third of the way through and lost interest for all of the above-mentioned reasons. It's the only FF game in which that really happened to me. It just felt so, I don't know... uninspired.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Everybody knows the only two Irrevocable Dreams worth playing are Final Fantasy 0.2 and Final Fantasy XVI

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
To the guy considering playing every game: really don't, play V and IX and X-2 and then really consider it for the rest before playing.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

fronz posted:

To the guy considering playing every game: really don't, play V and IX and X-2 and then really consider it for the rest before playing.
The problem with this is that because every game is the best/worst game in the series, you kind of need to play more than that to figure out which ones you actually like. If I got a recommendation like this and started with V and IX I probably would have just written off the series as not being my thing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I didn't like XII one bit. The battle system felt like a WoW-style MMO, the setting was bland and the characters/plotline fell a bit flat. The battle system was jilted and weird, like if you're going to have a real-time battle system then go all the way with it, Tales style. Don't have it be some mess where you select "attack" and stare at your enemy for ten seconds until you finally attack.

However, I will say this: I would be willing to give it a second chance if it ever got a Vita remaster. I played it the year it came out and got about one-third of the way through and lost interest for all of the above-mentioned reasons. It's the only FF game in which that really happened to me. It just felt so, I don't know... uninspired.

You can think of it is the same old ATB system, except you can move around, enter and leave battles seamlessly, and you can puts commands in before their bar has filled, rather than after. It's pretty much the same concept of waiting for bars to fill up for your characters to do stuff, but you can also let the other characters run on an AI script rather than having to enter the commands manually.

The full action style is what Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV use. There's no amount of grinding or AI partners you could rely on to get you through some of the bonus bosses, you need quick reactions. I like this style of RPG a lot, because if you're skilled enough to be able to dodge most of the attacks, you can get through them at a very low level. There's also much less dependence on luck, although that hasn't been terribly relevant for regular attacks since the NES. It's not like FFIII where one back attack could spell doom for your party.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

The problem with this is that because every game is the best/worst game in the series, you kind of need to play more than that to figure out which ones you actually like. If I got a recommendation like this and started with V and IX I probably would have just written off the series as not being my thing.

For real. V is good, but I really don't get the worship for IX.

Give each one a try, if you really feel like playing them all, but don't feel bad about dropping them if they don't catch you. I kept going back to VI for a long time because it seems like god and everyone likes it, but I was pretty much just torturing myself because I do not find it an enjoyable game at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Give each one a try, if you really feel like playing them all, but don't feel bad about dropping them if they don't catch you. I kept going back to VI for a long time because it seems like god and everyone likes it, but I was pretty much just torturing myself because I do not find it an enjoyable game at all.

Find a copy of Awful Fantasy III. It won't make you enjoy FF3 more but it'll make you enjoy it different. Its also the only way I've ever beaten FF6 because good lord does that game do nothing for me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Personally speaking, I find it to have a charm to it; the characters, the setting, the music, etc. It has an atmosphere that's just appealing to lose yourself in for a couple of hours. That said, it's not without its flaws - the battle system is kinda dull, and the story flags around the third disc with the genomes and such. And there are character arcs that just stop dead.

Each to their own, of course.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, this is the best way to do it. Sample a bit of each; if you don't like it, there's plenty others to try.

I think it might be a thing of the time too with VI, I played through it, but it never really grabbed me. Same with Chrono Trigger, which the EU didn't get til a DS release. It delayed the impact, somewhat.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 1, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Armor-Piercing posted:

This would not be a tragedy, as you would have done better things with your life than play a Final Fantasy.

It's too late for us now, but there's still hope for this guy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's true. Aside from name recognition and some kickass music, FF doesn't really offer much over... hell, even other Square and/or Enix RPGs from the same eras.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Syrant posted:

It doesn't even track you past dodge 150, right? I have never been able to get more than about 30 but I remember reading it doesn't tell you when you get to 200.

It doesn't tell you how many you've done until you go and open the chest, and the act of opening it or saving ends your streak. You just have to keep count yourself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's true. Aside from name recognition and some kickass music, FF doesn't really offer much over... hell, even other Square and/or Enix RPGs from the same eras.

Somebody has a really high opinion Drakengard 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I didn't say all Square or Enix games from the time period.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

"Speak not Drakengard 2,
Draw not Drakengard 2,
Write not Drakengard 2,
Sculpt not Drakengard 2,
Sing not Drakengard 2,
Play not Drakengard 2."

~ Excerpt from Square Enix internal memo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

Which was made by Cavia and not Square. They published it but that's all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

But if you're gonna try to play like 500+ hours of jrpgs you might as well spend 200 of them listening to "dun nuh nuh nuh nuhhh na nan na naaa"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fronz posted:

This guy gets it. Also Add in Legend of Dragoon and Dragon Quest VIII. They're the best Final Fantasy games.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This guy gets it. Also Add in Legend of Dragoon and Dragon Quest VIII. They're the best Final Fantasy games.

Legend of Dragoon is fairly awful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Sagan posted:

Oh, I also beat Mystic Quest. That should count! It's my first Final Fantasy. :shepface:

I like how the new Theatrhythm game is the first time Square has acknowledged the game since it got released, besides maybe a Wii VC release.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've played every FF except 2, 3, 13, and 13-2 (and the MMOs). I've been tempted on 13-2 a few times, but otherwise I am satisfied with my coverage of the series.

Even the biggest proponents of 2 say "it's not that bad, and it has some good music," and for 3 they say "it's like FFV lite," so I'd rather just play FFV again.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Great Lakes Log posted:

But if you're gonna try to play like 500+ hours of jrpgs you might as well spend 200 of them listening to "dun nuh nuh nuh nuhhh na nan na naaa"
This and the crystal theme are the only two songs in all of Final Fantasy that I can easily remember without having to listen to them again and go "oh yeah, I've heard this before."

Still buying the heck out of Curtain Call when it comes out though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I've played every FF except 2, 3, 13, and 13-2 (and the MMOs). I've been tempted on 13-2 a few times, but otherwise I am satisfied with my coverage of the series.

Even the biggest proponents of 2 say "it's not that bad, and it has some good music," and for 3 they say "it's like FFV lite," so I'd rather just play FFV again.

I've beaten or gotten to the final boss in every game except X-2 (which I am gonna start on soon), MMOs and XII. 2 and 3 are actually, definitively the worst games in the series.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think II GBA is legitimately fun on its own merits. I wouldn't recommend it, though, because I understand I'm a freak.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Is the beef with 9 all technical? I haven't played it in a while but I can't think of much to diss other than the full minute between Start Battle and your first command. I like the characters and they way they interact, the plot isn't really any more whacked out than any other FF game, and I remember enjoying the hell out of the ability system.

The only plot points I can remember being potentially stupid are the character separations in disc 1 and of course removing the sheet covering up the true last boss immediately after a substantially better fight. Talk me out of playing FF 9 again now that I'm an adult, bearing in mind that I really liked 8 when I played it last year, which is a complete 180 from before

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly as a huge fan of 9 the best way to play it is to buy your copy on PS1 disc so you can just emulate it and hit the 5x speed key for battles. You shouldn't ever do that outside of battles, but they move so loving slow it's a godsend during.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Is the beef with 9 all technical? I haven't played it in a while but I can't think of much to diss other than the full minute between Start Battle and your first command. I like the characters and they way they interact, the plot isn't really any more whacked out than any other FF game, and I remember enjoying the hell out of the ability system.

The only plot points I can remember being potentially stupid are the character separations in disc 1 and of course removing the sheet covering up the true last boss immediately after a substantially better fight. Talk me out of playing FF 9 again now that I'm an adult, bearing in mind that I really liked 8 when I played it last year, which is a complete 180 from before

9 has some problems both writing and mechanical.

For me, the biggest problem is that Freya is a complete wasted character. Her plot is "my boyfriiiiend" and that amounts to the sum total of what she does. She basically vanishes from the plot after the tree gets blown up and she basically never does anything again aside from contributes a handful of generic lines. Quina literally gets more dialogue and characterization than she does. Amarant runs into a similar problem where he is just kind of shoehorned into the party and welp. It's just a lot more annoying with Freya because she could go a lot of cool places but doesn't.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

9 has some problems both writing and mechanical.

For me, the biggest problem is that Freya is a complete wasted character. Her plot is "my boyfriiiiend" and that amounts to the sum total of what she does. She basically vanishes from the plot after the tree gets blown up and she basically never does anything again aside from contributes a handful of generic lines. Quina literally gets more dialogue and characterization than she does. Amarant runs into a similar problem where he is just kind of shoehorned into the party and welp. It's just a lot more annoying with Freya because she could go a lot of cool places but doesn't.

The only problem I have with IX is that I never really felt like I had that much space for party variety. You had Zidane because he was the hero and Dyne was stupidly strong, you had Vivi because black magic was somewhat useful in that game and because he probably had the best story arc in that game, you had Steiner because he was hilarious and incredibly useful with Vivi, and you had Garnet because she was better at summons than Eiko while still maintaining fairly decent healing. I tried using Freya but she really couldn't get the same damage output as any of the other four, same with Amarant and Quina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TARDISman posted:

The only problem I have with IX is that I never really felt like I had that much space for party variety. You had Zidane because he was the hero and Dyne was stupidly strong, you had Vivi because black magic was somewhat useful in that game and because he probably had the best story arc in that game, you had Steiner because he was hilarious and incredibly useful with Vivi, and you had Garnet because she was better at summons than Eiko while still maintaining fairly decent healing. I tried using Freya but she really couldn't get the same damage output as any of the other four, same with Amarant and Quina.

Eh, but Eiko did Holy better than Garnet, and Holy was a better offensive spell than Garnet's summons. Also, I think Eiko has Phoenix, which can save you from a party-wipe. Amarant had things like Chakra that allow you to spam everyone else's strongest spells all day long, or the ability that gives an elemental vulnerability, allowing Vivi or Garnet to tear them up. Quina has the typical blue mage versatility. And Freya is the easiest character to get pumping out 9999 damage every round- literally 15 minutes of hunting weak-rear end early game dragons will get you there. There are a lot of ways to structure your party and kick rear end in 9- I would not say Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Garnet is better than any other given team.