Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought it was May on the bridge. Didn't get that bit at all as you can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

lostleaf posted:

I swear Asians are the most sensitive and easily offended group. This uproar and the recent #cancelcolbert bullshit. You don't see any other ethnic group so butt hurt over nothing. And I'm Chinese.

As an Asian I'm offended by this statement.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

OldPueblo posted:

I literally thought he was talking about the bridge being sloped. That's how I took it. Now that I know, it's funny. Because it's wordplay, not an actual attack on that man on the bridge.

This is the exact process I went through. I'm Indian myself and I really don't see what she's so up in arms about.

lostleaf posted:

I'm pretty sure Indian people are considered Asian. But then I never heard of Indians being ridiculed for slanted eyes. I don't know what rod that actress shoved up her own butt.

Also this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Maybe they should complain about their extensive poverty and corruption issues in India before whinging about havign a laff on a tv show in England idk.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Edit: gently caress.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Throw a pie in his face!

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Britgoons might be interested in this other program, For The Love Of Cars, Channel 4 8pm tonight.

I watched last weeks episode and it was a bit cack. Actually it made Wheeler Dealers look tight and polished. Phil Glenister cocks about with some "enthusiasts" and Ant Somebody cocks about with lumps of rust in a lock-up. This is then transformed into a concourse vehicle with very little detail. Roadkill it is not but it does have cars in it and is Claudia Winkleman free.

Tonights is about an old Landrover so more rust and fires than usual I'm guessing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ants a cool guy he owns evanta and we have that landy at work ATM. It's pretty cool.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Can I sue TG/Jezza too? Any time the subject of North America comes up he's always on about how it's a continent whose entire population consists of fat, stupid sister-fuckers. He's written entire columns about how daft the Americans are (and frequently groups Canada with the US). It's not even remotely subtle.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tommychu posted:

Can I sue TG/Jezza too? Any time the subject of North America comes up he's always on about how it's a continent whose entire population consists of fat, stupid sister-fuckers. He's written entire columns about how daft the Americans are (and frequently groups Canada with the US). It's not even remotely subtle.

I don't think you can sue someone for writing things that are true.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In England you can!

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.

Bape Culture posted:

Ants a cool guy he owns evanta and we have that landy at work ATM. It's pretty cool.

Yes it is. That was better TV than the first ep as well.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is us top gear as bad as it was when it first started? I didn't like it at all but I need my top gear fix so what are a few of the best eps?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first season is pretty bad. After they realize their studio segment was worthless, they dropped it completely. All they do now is challenges.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrBVzLKNDY&hd=1

Hammond is pretty accurate.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Of course Clarkson had pretty much the same thing to say about British Lorry drivers;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhBoE56OEs

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Infantile humour warning. James is a friend of the Romanian people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMt5QblpR40

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Posted in the awesome car section:

It occurs to me that TopGear has been using the "Tron" soundtrack for background music for a very very long time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skreemer posted:

Posted in the awesome car section:

It occurs to me that TopGear has been using the "Tron" soundtrack for background music for a very very long time.

Or 4 years. Which is how long since that film was released.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Wikipedia posted:

Tron is a 1982 American science fiction film released by Walt Disney Productions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They use the Tron Legacy soundtrack frequently, not the original. The original's soundtrack is pretty terrible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Speaking of racial slurs, the Daily Mirror (formally run by Clarkson's old mate Piers Morgan) today ran a story alleging that he used the n-word during a recording in season 19; Clarkson denies it; the Mirror doubles-down. Let's see where this one goes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, that article is some of the worst garbage I have ever had the displeasure to read.

Piers Morgan is such a whiny child.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Piers Morgan is such a whiny child.
He was also fired by the mirror 10 years ago.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cormac posted:

He was also fired by the mirror 10 years ago.

Well, The Mirror is carrying on his proud legacy, then!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rhyno posted:

They use the Tron Legacy soundtrack frequently, not the original. The original's soundtrack is pretty terrible.

They use bits of the original Tron soundtrack in the video that was posted (starting at about 1 minute or 1:06 in)
Dunno maybe it was just me that found it interesting/funny they used the background music from the original and the sequel in the same show(series).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Uh oh. http://broadcastnow.co.uk/5071247.article

Broadcast posted:

Jeremy Clarkson ‘begs forgiveness’ in N-word scandal
1 MAY, 2014 | BY JAKE KANTER

The BBC has reprimanded Jeremy Clarkson after the presenter “begged for forgiveness” over apparently using the N-word in unaired footage from Top Gear.

In a statement issued on Thursday evening, the corporation said it had left Clarkson in “no doubt about how seriously” it viewed the issue, which came to light after the Daily Mirror secured an edited rush from a February 2013 Top Gear episode.

The statement followed an extraordinary video message from Clarkson, where he attempted to explain the story behind the leaked footage, which shows him reciting the children’s nursery rhyme “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe …” before seemingly mumbling: “Catch a friend of the family by his toe.”

Clarkson said: “The full rushes show I did three takes, in two, I mumbled where the offensive word would normally occur, and in the third, I replaced it all together with the word “teacher”.

“When I viewed the footage several weeks later, I realised that in one of the mumbled versions, if you listen very carefully with the sound turned right up, it did appear that I actually used the word I was trying to obscure.

“I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe and I did everything in my power to make sure that that version did not appear in the programme that was transmitted.”

Clarkson then read an email that he sent to the Top Gear production office at the time, which said: “I didn’t use the N-word here, but I’ve just listened through my headphones and it sounds like I did. Is there another take that we can use?”

Clarkson, who claimed that the version of the children’s rhyme containing the N-word is “best known” rendition, added: “Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word. And, as I’m sitting here begging your forgiveness, for the fact that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough.”

Amid growing calls for the BBC to sack Clarkson, one of its highest profile and lucrative presenters, a spokeswoman said: “Jeremy Clarkson has set out the background to this regrettable episode. We have made it absolutely clear to him, the standards the BBC expects on air and off. We have left him in no doubt about how seriously we view this.”

The spokeswoman insisted that Clarkson had not been sacked, but would not comment further on the matter. She refused to explain why the matter was not dealt with at the time of recording, particularly as it was raised in an email by Clarkson.

Man says terrible poo poo in footage not meant for broadcast. Everyone's been there no big deal.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Heh I remember that episode because I use it to prove my supremacy over the BRZ (I have the US version of the GT86). :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrck3Wr8Tw

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Uh oh. http://broadcastnow.co.uk/5071247.article

Man says terrible poo poo in footage not meant for broadcast. Everyone's been there no big deal.

I sodding hate the term "n-word". If you're discussing someone else's (alleged or otherwise) use of it, or referrring to it in a similar context, saying "friend of the family" does not mean you are an extra from American History X, you are just a loving adult who is capable of discussing an issue you were not directly involved in. Leave such infantile nonsense to people who use terms like "trigger warning" seriously. It's a word, it offends people, but if the use of the word when discussing the word itself or its use offends you, you have serious problems.

As for the Clarkson thing, his explanation (that using the rhyme with "friend of the family" slightly mumbled so as to not blatantly use it still made him uncomfortable so he changed it for the final take) is completely reasonable.

If you want to get your knickers in a twist about racism, that's what UKIP exists for.

Sair
May 11, 2007

InitialDave posted:

As for the Clarkson thing, his explanation (that using the rhyme with "friend of the family" slightly mumbled so as to not blatantly use it still made him uncomfortable so he changed it for the final take) is completely reasonable.

He probably didn't mean to say it out loud, but he knew exactly what he was doing. And then he tries to go with this?

“Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word.”

Except for just not saying it. Why would he think it was a good idea to even mumble over it?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

you have serious problems.

This is why people use the term "trigger warning" seriously, btw. Out of respect for people with serious problems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why is that even a phrase in the UK? It makes sense in the US because of our racist past, but then we replaced the word with tiger.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Why is that even a phrase in the UK? It makes sense in the US because of our racist past, but then we replaced the word with tiger.
It's "tiger" here for pretty much anyone born in the last 30-40 years, too, but Clarkson's in his late fifties and was brought up in an industrial town in the north. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if heard the older version as the "original". The word "friend of the family" probably fell out of use or became seen as seriously unacceptable a little earlier than in the US, but it's not like we had any lack of racism ourselves, and it is an old rhyme.

ColdPie posted:

This is why people use the term "trigger warning" seriously, btw. Out of respect for people with serious problems.
Everything has the potential to offend someone. Choosing to preface some things with a warning but not others draws a line in the sand as to whether or not you believe the potential for offence is valid or not. It is a glib, infantile catch-all used by people on Tumblr and the like so that the particularly clique they associate with doesn't have to put their brain in gear long enough to decide whether or not they need to turn the knob up on their self-righteousness.

It is a horrible turn of phrase that carries no sincerity whatsoever, and should not be in anyone's vocabularly. If you want to make it clear to people that you have no intention of offending them with what you say or what you show them, go to the effort of actually saying/writing a couple of sentences about what content is about to be presented, and allow everyone to make their own decision as to whether they want to go further. For my part, I prefer to treat everyone as a relatively well-balanced adult unless there is a good reason to believe otherwise, and assume that as part of this they can differentiate between a word/term/attitude/situation and a discussion thereof.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I guess you visit different parts of the Internet than I do. I've only seen it used rarely, as a preface for a blog post discussing varying degrees of sexual harassment, usually in gaming or tech.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
!!!!! I always thought that rhyme was "tigger" and was something from Winnie the Pooh.

quote:

He probably didn't mean to say it out loud, but he knew exactly what he was doing. And then he tries to go with this?

Except for just not saying it. Why would he think it was a good idea to even mumble over it?

Pretty much this.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Sair posted:

Because it wasn't, he knew it wasn't, that's why it wasn't broadcast, maybe he was having a lovely day and wanted to say something outright ridicilous n blah blah who cares, you get the explanation that's worthy of how important this issue is in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day it's a car show with three old white dudes. Ya or two outta that bunch may hold some stupid views, I'm here for their opinion about cars, not their opinion on minorities.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Morphix posted:

I'm here for their opinion about cars, not their opinion on minorities.

Not like they'd be able to afford the aforementioned cars unless they were footballers too, am I right? *waves hands to queue audience*

v- Summary: Stupid British poo poo by Stupid British poo poo.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 2, 2014

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Morphix posted:

Because it wasn't, he knew it wasn't, that's why it wasn't broadcast, maybe he was having a lovely day and wanted to say something outright ridicilous n blah blah who cares, you get the explanation that's worthy of how important this issue is in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day it's a car show with three old white dudes. Ya or two outta that bunch may hold some stupid views, I'm here for their opinion about cars, not their opinion on minorities.

Much like certain posters in GBS 1.4, the fact that it's a word Clarkson would think is somehow amusing to use says a lot about him.

And while he's free to be a racist in his own time, I don't think the licence fee payer should be subsidising it. Let ITV or C4 have him - I'm sure he will continue to write and say amusing things about cars for you Morphix, just not at public expense. I can think of a lot of things Auntie could have done with his £14m, starting with the Moto GP rights they lost to BT Sport and ITV respectively.

The two saddest things about this are (i) it has given Piers Moron something to gloat about and (ii) it's not even amusing. I mean if you're going to shock people with unbroadcast footage, do it in style, like the cast of "Rainbow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Piers Morgan types and the Jeremy Clarkson types are two sides of the same coin. They have to keep saying/doing absurd poo poo so the spotlight never leaves them, whether they realize it themselves or not. Clarkson happens to be the host of one of the best shows in the history of television, but that doesn't stop him from being a lovely person with (fake?) lovely opinions. In the end the red mist just doesn't descend when somebody uses a racial slur on TV, if I want that I just look at some income inequality graphs in D&D.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 2, 2014