Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The GoT mod is really good but I only recommend playing from Roberts Rebellion and onward if you have either read the books or don't mind being spoiled on some of the later events. It's also a very different experience from the base game because you will almost never hold more than two holdings personally and quite often you'll find your limit is 1. This is because a lot of the game is set around politics and personal relations rather than conquest, in fact there's a new tab on your character sheet that shows relations which lists friends, rivals and marriage ties to simulate the alliances.

I've been playing a game as the Boltons of the Dreadfort starting from Aegon Targaryans invasion. It's been 60 years and the Targaryan line is teethering on extinction since the king is the only male left and his kids are all bastards, I've been spending my time inserting my dynasty into the other lordships and have managed to make Last Hearth and White Harbor owned by my Dynasty. The Starks have also been deposed in favour of the Karstarks so I'm trying to produce some children I can marry into the Stark line so I can get a claim on the whole North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demiurge4 posted:

The GoT mod is really good but I only recommend playing from Roberts Rebellion and onward if you have either read the books or don't mind being spoiled on some of the later events. It's also a very different experience from the base game because you will almost never hold more than two holdings personally and quite often you'll find your limit is 1. This is because a lot of the game is set around politics and personal relations rather than conquest, in fact there's a new tab on your character sheet that shows relations which lists friends, rivals and marriage ties to simulate the alliances.

Really? I had heard that as long as you avoided the A Feast for Crows scenario or whatever you were relatively safe, spoiler-wise, since before that was all stuff that had happened in the show and, this being CK2, things go quickly off-script when you actually play.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

beefart posted:

Historical Immersion Project is currently pretty solid. It feels like they fixed a lot of the issues in the most recent version, like the autonomy faction rebelling every time they get too big (at least it made Blood in the Bosporus pretty interesting :v:)

EDIT: Can't recommend the SWMH module though. It's legendarily poo poo.

Hahaha, poo poo, was the autonomy faction not supposed to do that? That... explains a lot, really.

Anyway, now that I'm done haunting the world of the old patch like a phantom, I'm ready to... you know... actually play RoI for more than, like, a few years. I'm very interested in playing as an Indian vassal, as a change of pace from being an emperor from 1081 onwards, but I have no idea which starts would be interesting. Any suggestions?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Roland Jones posted:

Gotcha, thanks. Knew about the GoT mod and was thinking of trying it eventually, but the other things are good to know.

Couple more questions. First, I remember Sorites making his daughter his heir in his Zoroastrian LP despite (I think) him having other sons. Is that an option in elective nibarcies even if your laws aren't absolute cognatic, or am I just misremembering the "other sons" bit?

Uhm, I don't know what nibarcies is/are, but elective sucession makes no difference between agnatic-cognatic or absolute cognatic. Only in agnatic are you barred from nominating females.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

Uhm, I don't know what nibarcies is/are, but elective sucession makes no difference between agnatic-cognatic or absolute cognatic. Only in agnatic are you barred from nominating females.

Ahahahaha, crap. That was meant to be "monarchies"; my finger was one key off for those first three letters. Thanks for the info, though; since absolute cognatic gives an opinion malus elective might actually be a better option for putting awesome female heirs on my throne, at least if I'm super-popular, and it doesn't require me to put out any effort and mod it so I can actually have absolute cognatic as an option.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

You can make an antipope as a fraticelli for some reason even when there's no fraticelli pope cause you haven't made one yet and then ghost pope that doesn't exist can sanction a civil war to depose your antipope

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

This is because a lot of the game is set around politics and personal relations rather than conquest, in fact there's a new tab on your character sheet that shows relations which lists friends, rivals and marriage ties to simulate the alliances.

This was actually added to the base game in the RoI patch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This was actually added to the base game in the RoI patch.

Really? That must not have been integrated with CK2+ yet, then. I put the game back a patch to play it and I noticed India wasn't on the map.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Eugenic's Program working at it's best.. almost.

Educator is a Grey Eminence so I have high hopes for this one.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hey so if you are looking for a legit Getting Mad at Video Games experience, might I suggest playing as one of the Frankish vassals of the HRE, such as Savoy ce 1066? because hahaha hoooly poo poo the Karlings have nothing on the weird web of bullshit you run up against when 2/3rds of the empire hate you for being a foreigner. I was minding my own business, carving my way towards forming Burgundy, when suddenly Swabia and a couple other Teutonic pricks in the area decided I didn't deserve Dauphine and DoW'ed me to release it. This happened like three times, until I was just about spraying blood from my eyes every time some ugly loving Swabian rear end in a top hat popped up on my screen.

Joke's on them, tho - they ended up vassalized to me after someone pressed a claim against Upper Burgundy for their Duke. So I threw him in jail and laughed at him while grabbing my nuts and going how you like me now

e. on the plus side it is really fun to grab revolting bits of Aquitaine while looking the king of France square in the eye. yeah I bet you;d like to do something about this, bub. maybe you should take it up with my boss, the emperor of all the romans. I'm sure he'll hear you out.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 1, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

unicr0n posted:

Eugenic's Program working at it's best.. almost.

Educator is a Grey Eminence so I have high hopes for this one.

I guarantee you he will die before age 30 somehow, without having any sons, because that's how this game works.

*edit* either that, or your current ruler will live until 80 so you only get to take over as your übermensch when he's in his late 50's.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 1, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I guarantee you he will die before age 30 somehow, without having any sons, because that's how this game works.

*edit* either that, or your current ruler will live until 80 so you only get to take over as your übermensch when he's in his late 50's.

he'll become decadent and refuse to shape up

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

paranoid randroid posted:

he'll become decadent and refuse to shape up

How does the decadence thing work? I keep hearing about it, but in all my games I've never seen it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Esroc posted:

How does the decadence thing work? I keep hearing about it, but in all my games I've never seen it.

"Decadent" is a trait now that male family members will get randomly. The game informs you when this happens, and you can attempt to talk them into shaping up. There's a couple amusing event trees for it where if just asking politely doesn't work you can use high traits to convince them, like high learning lets you preach at them until they cry.

It seems to be kind of bugged at the moment, because sometimes the game will act as if they've already been asked but still give you tyranny for imprisoning them. As far as I can tell, there is supposed to be an event if someone besides you asks and they refuse, where you get a pop up saying "hey emir so-and-so has refused to stop loving up and now can be imprisoned by any member of the so-and-so family". This frequently does not work properly.

The AI cannot handle decadence at all, which is nice because empires fracture like a dropped plate after a decadence invasion and the Abbasids would probably always rule the world otherwise.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

It only applies to Muslim dynasties, so if you aren't playing one it won't affect you directly. If you open up a Muslim ruler's profile in any of your games you'll see a little extra stat below the dynasty crest - that's decadence.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Did the patch break Ruler Designer? No matter what changes I make to appearance once the game starts those changes disappear.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Despite having a Grey Eminence educator, he ended up with a Tough Soldier education... so things are looking about right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He's a gay Muslim. Doesn't that incur a major opinion malus with literally everyone?

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Homosexual gives -10 opinion malus, but he's a Strong Genious which gives +15 in total to counter that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

paranoid randroid posted:

It seems to be kind of bugged at the moment, because sometimes the game will act as if they've already been asked but still give you tyranny for imprisoning them. As far as I can tell, there is supposed to be an event if someone besides you asks and they refuse, where you get a pop up saying "hey emir so-and-so has refused to stop loving up and now can be imprisoned by any member of the so-and-so family". This frequently does not work properly.

Darkrenown posted:

As far as I know, there's no bugs with decadence, it's just a design issue. If a guy goes decadent you can ask him to cut that poo poo out, and either he does it or you get to imprison him for free. That's all fine, but each character can only be asked to straighten up once, and there are two problem cases:
1) A guy goes decadent again - you've already asked him and can't do it again. You can try to avoid this by landing people that agree to fix their ways, since landed males are less likely to become decadent.
2) Someone else asks them to straighten up and they refuse. Any high ranked dynasty member can ask someone to straighten up, so a Duke could ask a Count to stop being so decadent and the Count could tell him to take a suck. Now the Duke has a free imprison, but the player King does not, and the Duke might not imprison the guy for a variety of reasons. You can try to avoid this by keeping your dynasty member all one level below you, or not having any other vassals between you and them. But they could still ask their kids to straighten up, or if you make them Dukes they may land their family as counts under them.

I rather think anyone of your dynasty with the Decadent trait and the Asked to straighten up flag should be a free imprison for the topliege, but even without that do note that imprisoning a decadent character only gives a -10 tyranny penalty, not -40 like normal. Even if they are not of your dynasty.

You still get 10 tyranny if it wasn't you who asked them to shape up and got refused. Or do you mean something other than that?

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Did the patch break Ruler Designer? No matter what changes I make to appearance once the game starts those changes disappear.

Where did this happen? Ruler Designer is still working perfectly fine for me for most of the world, but I've noticed with a few Indian rulers it just straight up doesn't let you make any changes.

I tried to make a Turkish ruler of Sri Lanka, but it completely reverted me back to the original Indian dynasty. I replicated it three times so maybe it's a problem just in India?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like how the tales of my Sri Lankan king's vile deeds are apparently told from Ireland to Cathay.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Averrences posted:

Where did this happen? Ruler Designer is still working perfectly fine for me for most of the world, but I've noticed with a few Indian rulers it just straight up doesn't let you make any changes.

I tried to make a Turkish ruler of Sri Lanka, but it completely reverted me back to the original Indian dynasty. I replicated it three times so maybe it's a problem just in India?

I was remaking that Kazar duke, without changing ethnicity. Only changed the basic features like eyes, hair, etc.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Dick Trauma posted:

I was remaking that Kazar duke, without changing ethnicity. Only changed the basic features like eyes, hair, etc.

Did you actually start the game? When I made Muad'Dib of Baghdad it looked like he would be Levantine until I actually launched the game and he was like I designed him (kyle maclachlan)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rincewind posted:

Hahaha, poo poo, was the autonomy faction not supposed to do that? That... explains a lot, really.

Anyway, now that I'm done haunting the world of the old patch like a phantom, I'm ready to... you know... actually play RoI for more than, like, a few years. I'm very interested in playing as an Indian vassal, as a change of pace from being an emperor from 1081 onwards, but I have no idea which starts would be interesting. Any suggestions?

There's a count-level Hindu vassal of the Jain King that offers a rather interesting challenge if you don't mind playing the long game. Starting as him, try to make the Kingdom of Pratihara into a Hindu Kingdom.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So are there any Parsis in India with Rajas of India? It might be cool to have them like the Jewish diaspora in the rest of the world.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I really dislike the change to the order of titles in the "Grant landed title" menu. Whereas before it was sorted by rank now they go all over the place and I have to scroll through the entire list to find the title I want to give to someone. It turns giving out the spoils from holy wars into a massive chore.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Did you actually start the game? When I made Muad'Dib of Baghdad it looked like he would be Levantine until I actually launched the game and he was like I designed him (kyle maclachlan)

Yes I started it. When I changed him to look European he switched to random Kazar. When I left him Kazar but changed his features they switched back.

I always use the designer and this is the first I've seen of this.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Mr Snips posted:

I really dislike the change to the order of titles in the "Grant landed title" menu. Whereas before it was sorted by rank now they go all over the place and I have to scroll through the entire list to find the title I want to give to someone. It turns giving out the spoils from holy wars into a massive chore.

Pretty sure its in alphabetical order...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rejected Fate posted:

So are there any Parsis in India with Rajas of India? It might be cool to have them like the Jewish diaspora in the rest of the world.

You could use the ruler editor to make some random Indian a Persian Zoroastrian I guess.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A thought just occurred to me while thinking about bishops choosing who to pay taxes to:

Opinions are only displayed up to positive or negative 100, but obviously modifiers don't stop at that. When the game evaluates opinion scores, do they only evaluate the capped score, or do they calculate it based on all opinion modifiers? The specific situation I'm thinking of is one where your vassal bishop has +100 opinion of both you and the Pope. Suppose that his opinion of the Pope is exactly +100, but if opinion score was not capped, his opinion of you would be +150 or something. Does he pay taxes to the Pope because the capped scores are both +100 and a tie goes to the Pope, or does it go to you because your opinion modifiers come out higher than the Pope's?

And does this hold the same in all circumstances? I mean, my assumption is that the AI always uses the capped score, period, but I don't know this, and I only just realized that I don't actually know.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zig-Zag posted:

Pretty sure its in alphabetical order...

It would be fine if each tier of titles are sorted alphabetically. So first there are your kingdoms a-z, then your duchies, then your counties and baronies. If that is not possible I would prefer the old system of sorting by rank.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

A thought just occurred to me while thinking about bishops choosing who to pay taxes to:

Opinions are only displayed up to positive or negative 100, but obviously modifiers don't stop at that. When the game evaluates opinion scores, do they only evaluate the capped score, or do they calculate it based on all opinion modifiers? The specific situation I'm thinking of is one where your vassal bishop has +100 opinion of both you and the Pope. Suppose that his opinion of the Pope is exactly +100, but if opinion score was not capped, his opinion of you would be +150 or something. Does he pay taxes to the Pope because the capped scores are both +100 and a tie goes to the Pope, or does it go to you because your opinion modifiers come out higher than the Pope's?

And does this hold the same in all circumstances? I mean, my assumption is that the AI always uses the capped score, period, but I don't know this, and I only just realized that I don't actually know.

If you mean for opinion modifier for accepting diplomacy and such, it caps at 100. Try giving a gift a person who already has a really high opinion of you next time you're doing a plot assassination. Opinion consideration caps out at four +'s. For bishops I have no idea, though I'd bet it's the same.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Demiurge4 posted:

...in fact there's a new tab on your character sheet that shows relations which lists friends, rivals and marriage ties to simulate the alliances.

I'm pretty sure paradox added that tab in the last patch, I don't think modders are capable of such sweeping UI modifications just yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if there's some event that could cause Rashtrakuta to go from ~12k max levies to 35k max levies in one generation :stare:

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Meanwhile, in Lithuania...

This game :allears:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

derkaiser posted:

Meanwhile, in Lithuania...

This game :allears:

In my Sri Lanka game I keep seeing the Press Weak Claims icon pop up and it's inevitably for something in Lithuania. There must be a wormhole.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

In my Sri Lanka game I keep seeing the Press Weak Claims icon pop up and it's inevitably for something in Lithuania. There must be a wormhole.

This is usually because characters you unland and their courtiers tend to flee to another court, and if there are no/few rulers of the same religion/culture as the fleeing character, they instead go to one based on... something. I don't know, but they tend to crop up in Ireland in my games.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Welp, another game given up on because some adventurer comes along with 10k more troops than I can raise (including the mamluks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

beefart posted:

Historical Immersion Project is currently pretty solid. It feels like they fixed a lot of the issues in the most recent version, like the autonomy faction rebelling every time they get too big (at least it made Blood in the Bosporus pretty interesting :v:)

EDIT: Can't recommend the SWMH module though. It's legendarily poo poo.

I used to use VIET, but when SoA came out I stopped, but now I want a mod that adds poo poo, like religions and cultures, and will also convert over to EU4, hopefully without changing too many mechanics from vanilla, and I'm not certain if I should go for VIET/HIP or what.

• Locked thread