Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the tips. Are philosophy materials only good for selling for Gil?

Some of them, yes, others no, and that's going to depend a lot on your server. On Excalibur minium is basically worthless, while potash is around 3,000 each. If you can turn them into intermediate products like vanya silk, you can make quite a bit of cash, especially if you can HQ it.

e: also I just realized from the item description that minium is actually bauxite, which is an ore of aluminum aluminium. Clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

I have a whole 3 atmas now :rolleyes:

That's three times as many as me! :suicide:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Come join PBC and enjoy our fascinating discussions!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Celador posted:

That's three times as many as me! :suicide:

It's infinity times as many as me.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I recall watching the original Nael Deus Darnus fight on Youtube. It looked like possibly the single most boring encounter in any modern (and even a lot of old school) MMOs, yet the comments had a few people saying things like "Man, lots of MMOs could learn from this fight!" and I don't think they meant "learn how *not* to do it".It was baffling.

It's more fun to do than it was to watch, though I only ever did the easy version. I did it as BLM and there was a part where you had to go up stairs and kill a meteor before it murdered everyone, which was kind of an exciting mechanic. They pushed the 1.0 engine pretty hard for that fight to work and came up with some interesting stuff for what was available at the time, but in hindsight it was clearly a way to test out some ideas for the 2.0 bosses which have been overall extremely well done and with a lot of great mechanics that are leaps and bounds better.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Amazing how much better I am at Titan HM after simply changing my wifi channel. Didn't get hit once until a landslide during the second set of bombs after the heart. And it was my fault, not lag. Maybe EX primals will be doable now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AlmightyBob posted:

Amazing how much better I am at Titan HM after simply changing my wifi channel. Didn't get hit once until a landslide during the second set of bombs after the heart. And it was my fault, not lag. Maybe EX primals will be doable now.

If you're getting hit by HM landslides at all boy do I have news for you.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

That was my fault, I don't know the bomb patterns after the heart. First set I just followed everyone else and made it through, second set I turned the wrong way, turned around right into landslide.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

SpazmasterX posted:

You can offer him a couples deal at the "Buying my primal runs" store?

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
Hello talk to me if you want to "buy your primals" thanks!

drink slurm fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 1, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In dungeons and trials, when people say "Stack on me" or "stack on boss" are they just using terminology for gang-up on or is there something more I need to know...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They mean "stand in a pile on ____". (If it's the boss, it generally means the boss's butt.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It means to physically position yourself on the spot where the other player or the boss is standing. It makes it easier to mass heal or dodge some of the mechanics you'll be encountering.

It is also better for hugs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BrianWilly posted:

It means to physically position yourself on the spot where the other player or the boss is standing. It makes it easier to mass heal or dodge some of the mechanics you'll be encountering.

It is also better for hugs.

What I thought. Thanks to you both.

What's the best singular activity for earning Tomestones?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Hardflox full runs for sold, hardflox first 2 boss runs for myth.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Finally did Thornmarch EX tonight. Did it like five or six times, but we only managed four wins. Only! It was a PF group that surprisingly didn't fall apart as soon as someone won the first roll amazingly enough. It's a lot more fun than I expected after hearing what the strategy was, for sure. And certainly more fun to tank than any EX Primal not named Garuda.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I'm sitting on about ilvl 83 and was wondering, what's all this about an ilvl 90 weapon for beating the initial Extremes? I'm not seeing any quest in Rev Toll,or does that unlock after beating Garuda EX?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I'm sitting on about ilvl 83 and was wondering, what's all this about an ilvl 90 weapon for beating the initial Extremes? I'm not seeing any quest in Rev Toll,or does that unlock after beating Garuda EX?

After you complete the three EX Primals (Garuda, Ifrit and Titan) for the first time, you get a turn in for an EX Primal weapon. After that you can pick up a quest that allows you to redo it once a week.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So i'm just at the Lord of the Inferno main quest and I was just wondering: are the primal fights just fights? As in no trek through a dungeon or anything?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

So i'm just at the Lord of the Inferno main quest and I was just wondering: are the primal fights just fights? As in no trek through a dungeon or anything?

Just fights.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cool, I'd go nuts if I had to do a trek through a dungeon each time we wanted to fight him.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

boz posted:

Just fights.
And are therefore way more enjoyable.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I did the Hildibrand questline last night and uh, holy poo poo. I don't think I've ever genuinely LAUGHED at an MMO before, that was loving fantastic.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, it always sucks when your static just starts getting pissed off at each other (and gradually performing worse and worse), when it seems like the key to a lot of the endgame content is maintaining a sense of level-headedness and patience more than anything else. Like, with most of this stuff, I can see us eventually getting through 2nd Coil eventually, and I try to remain as patient as possible because there is always an individual learning curve with how one can handle mechanics. But it's like instead of viewing it as a learning process, finger-pointing and snarky comments starts to come up in a 2+ hr raid attempt. It's more demoralizing than anything else.

Like, is this kind of stuff just normal for MMO raid content, and should I just get used to this kind of attitude?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

MechaX posted:

Man, it always sucks when your static just starts getting pissed off at each other (and gradually performing worse and worse), when it seems like the key to a lot of the endgame content is maintaining a sense of level-headedness and patience more than anything else. Like, with most of this stuff, I can see us eventually getting through 2nd Coil eventually, and I try to remain as patient as possible because there is always an individual learning curve with how one can handle mechanics. But it's like instead of viewing it as a learning process, finger-pointing and snarky comments starts to come up in a 2+ hr raid attempt. It's more demoralizing than anything else.

Like, is this kind of stuff just normal for MMO raid content, and should I just get used to this kind of attitude?

Just depends on the people you raid with. Some people just aren't used to not winning in a video game.

CCO
Sep 11, 2001

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Unfortunately that is the attitude a lot of people take, which is why you'll see party finders for something like Titan Extreme with an average item level requirement of 92 and a description of "if u cant win dont join death=kick"

Edit: Forgot to mention the "Greed party but my item is reserved" PFs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
People are just too impatient, really. Even in learning parties you have people giving up after one or two runs because they expect to one-shot stuff like Titan EX.

William Murderface posted:

Edit: Forgot to mention the "Greed party but my item is reserved" PFs.

My favorites are the T2 Need parties started by a Black Mage that only have physical jobs. I may have even seen that once or twice for a T4 party, where you really should have two physical/two magic DPS.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 1, 2014

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

MechaX posted:

People will just naturally get frustrated from not completing content for a while in a row. It's why it's probably more productive overall to do a few short attempts spread over a week rather than one long night even if you're spending the same amount of time in both cases.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mega64 posted:

People are just too impatient, really. Even in learning parties you have people giving up after one or two runs because they expect to one-shot stuff like Titan EX.

My favorites are the T2 Need parties started by a Black Mage that only have physical jobs. I may have even seen that once or twice for a T4 party, where you really should have two physical/two magic DPS.
Why? Physical DPS does more damage than magical DPS. No-brainer.

also they want the caster pants that never drop

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've ran T2 with 3 BLMs and two bards. It went without a hitch. At this point it's significantly faster just to pass rot around because you can get to ADS with 8 clicks remaining without too much trouble.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When the heck can I access the party finder? I'm lvl 15 now

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

RCarr posted:

Most of the things in this game is gated through quests and main story quests. Your level does not matter, you gotta do the quests at the level as well.

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

cheetah7071 posted:

Send a tell to Lyrina Galera for invitation to the linkshell. There's an FC that has 3-4 goons that I'm not a member of, message Bacon Deluxe if you want into that. My experience with getting into the linkshell myself was that it takes a while to find a time you're both online and neither of you is in an instance, so just check if we're online in player search every once in a while.

If it helps, the following members of the Ultros linkshell have Leader privileges:
Lala Rihyo
Liquid Kre
Lyrina Galera
Myra Oriales
Naelyan Kil'emal

satsu fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 1, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

Most of the things in this game is gated through quests and main story quests. Your level does not matter, you gotta do the quests at the level as well.

I've been doing every quest I can possibly find. Just wondering if there's a specific one I missed or I'm not up to that point yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RCarr posted:

Main Story should take you to the dungeon Sastasha, which you will then unlock in Duty Finder. You already should've unlocked Guildhests, as well.

Once you hit 16 and unlock your second dungeon (Tam-Tara Deepcroft), you'll unlock Low-Level Duty Roulette as well.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

RCarr posted:

I've been doing every quest I can possibly find. Just wondering if there's a specific one I missed or I'm not up to that point yet.

I think you have to complete the first dungeon, Sastasha. If you continue along the main story line - marked by meteor icons - you should unlock it soon.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

MechaX posted:

Are you on Turn 7? Because Turn 7 is utterly notorious among people I know for destroying static groups. People just lose their minds over that fight. I can't speak to your specific situation, but I have noticed a lot of anger and frustration among friends in other groups over the new stuff, for more than a few reasons.

The new turns of Coil depend even more on individual members handling a lot of mechanics repeatedly over long fights, with a single screw up causing the entire raid to wipe. In earlier turns while individual responsibility was still important (rot passing, for instance) it wasn't this prevalent or as critical in most cases beyond turn 5. It is really, really, easy to blink and gently caress up an inhale on Raff or a cursed voice on Melusine and then everyone gets just a little bit annoyed at you because hey, you just killed the raid and it is entirely 100% your fault for doing so, even if it is an honest failure of reflexes that can and does happen to the entire group over time. There is a point when learning a fight where everyone knows the mechanics, so everyone thinks a kill should be coming, but in fact there is a long chunk of time where the group needs to perfect execution before the kill actually comes. Those are trying hours.

So there's that. In addition a lot of groups who are in the second Coil now were breaking the first Coil over their knee for months, and getting back into the concept of throwing 10+ hours at a fight that can technically be completed in 6-10 minutes until you really have it down pat is a harsh change from that. Lots of people say, and believe, they're willing to put in the time to learn difficult progression fights until they're actually there blowing time and food and patience trying to learn them.

I think it's also that people may have thought that the Coil 2 stuff was going to be easier for the average player than it turned out to be. The world first of turn 7 got posted less than a week after 2.2 was released; people who saw the kill video only saw the kill, they did not see the 25 hours of failure that preceded it.

Any or all of that might apply to your group, it might not. Just know that yes if you are wiping repeatedly to a turn of Coil for a couple hours tempers are going to start flaring and you have to deal with that. My group limits attempts to only a couple hours a night to mitigate this, but we can run most nights of the week to get away with that. It's something you have to figure out within the schedule available to you.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
I kind of just started playing this game on a whim one day when I realized this game is perfect for goon MMO fuckery and I need to play it with goons. Are there any goons on Exodus? I could happily re-roll on a goon populated server now that I know how this game plays out, and now that I am almost a bard and am bored out of my skull playing it by myself and getting the faintest whiff of human interaction whenever I queue up for a group thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Whitefire posted:

I kind of just started playing this game on a whim one day when I realized this game is perfect for goon MMO fuckery and I need to play it with goons. Are there any goons on Exodus? I could happily re-roll on a goon populated server now that I know how this game plays out, and now that I am almost a bard and am bored out of my skull playing it by myself and getting the faintest whiff of human interaction whenever I queue up for a group thing.

Goons here are more likely to completely meltdown due to fuckery than engage in it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

MechaX posted:

Even normally chill groups are susceptible to this. Especially with that loving snakelady. Tempers flare while wipes are happening, but as long as you can come back calmed down and clear the air, things will be fine in the long run. It's okay to get mad at video games sometimes, especially after 2 hours of repeated failures or, even worse, near victories ruined by one tiny mistake. Just remember: poo poo is hard, yo. Mistakes happen.

• Locked thread