Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
It took me thirty plus hours to learn how to not sprint head first into enemies jamming the attack button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

You learned nothing because you didn't bother looking around you before fighting.

You kind of overlooked the dozens of posters and several reviews that are complaining about this game being the cheapest Dark Souls.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat this game two days after it came out on consoles and another 4-5 times since and there's nothing 'cheap' about this Dark Souls. The only remotely 'cheap' thing I can think of is that enemies (and you!) can pivot your swings after the attack animation has begun, depending on weapons, but that's just something you get used to and learn to anticipate.

e: Okay there are some kind of cheap PvP things like the Washing Pole and... the Washing Pole.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kawabata posted:

You kind of overlooked the dozens of posters and several reviews that are complaining about this game being the cheapest Dark Souls.

Hmm yes a bunch of loving idiot game journalists and you are all so mad about the enemy that "spawned in" on you that you could clearly see beforehand.

Welp wrap it up guys Dark Souls 2 is full of Doom 3 monster closets.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You know the bonfire on top of Sinner's Rise? The one with three crossbow/flamberge royal swordsmen in aggro range? That kinda blows until you take the 20 minutes of drudgery to extinct the pricks.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Foxhound posted:

You should probably play a different game.

He's right in so far that certain parts of the game are wilful bullshit. The "gate" in Iron Keep where you fight a turtle guy in a really small corridor is a good example; the design of that corridor serves no purpose other than to get the player into a situation where he is at a disadvantage. Iron Keep just screams "video game" in it's entire design, nothing makes sense from a "People used to live and work here" perspective.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scamtank posted:

You know the bonfire on top of Sinner's Rise? The one with three crossbow/flamberge royal swordsmen in aggro range? That kinda blows until you take the 20 minutes of drudgery to extinct the pricks.

There are some remarkably stupidly placed bonfires in this game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

scamtank posted:

You can use the guillotine to kill the turtle knights, you're supposed to observe the Alonne Knight that comes up behind you prior to entering that cooridor. The turtle knights are just as bad at fighting in narrow positions as you are. That hallway is actually one of my favorite encounters in the game, from a game design perspective. There are a surprisingly large number of tactical options and the disadvantage applies to the enemies as much as it applies to you. There's also a bonfire on the other side of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

He's right in so far that certain parts of the game are wilful bullshit. The "gate" in Iron Keep where you fight a turtle guy in a really small corridor is a good example; the design of that corridor serves no purpose other than to get the player into a situation where he is at a disadvantage. Iron Keep just screams "video game" in it's entire design, nothing makes sense from a "People used to live and work here" perspective.

Oh no, a video game has it's design based on the fact that you're playing a video game, how awful

Xoidanor posted:

There are some remarkably stupidly placed bonfires in this game.

Yeah most of the enemy near bonfire bonfires are kinda dumb. The one exception imo is the third FoFG bonfire; that one is hilariously cruel if you go there immediately. You go out and get swarmed by several turtle men. :allears:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kawabata posted:

This game gets worse the more I play it.

I'm in the Iron Keep and I just got killed by a guillotine trap that hit me from 2 meters away. Nice collision detection. Honestly, between every boss in the game having swings that hit the whole screen + charged superbombs if you stay too close to them and the cheap 3-4 enemies at the same time encounters, it's getting ridiculous. It used to be in the previous DS that you died because you made a mistake, not because the game decided it's ok to spawn 2 enemies behind you as soon as you engage the one you can see. Yes I died but I learned nothing in the process.

Then there's the hassle of having to go through certain parts of the game offline otherwise you'll get invaded the second you step in them (which, again, it's quantity over quality, something DS2 seems pretty fond of), the massive bullshit that is weapon deterioration, the game doing a terrible job of telling you where to go, the weapon upgrade system that, for some reason, it's still not available to me after 30+ hours because no one is selling that poo poo (so that I upgraded a broadsword and a firesword, maybe the shittiest weapons in the game, and I'm stuck with them). Also, some bosses will absolutely destroy certain builds in the cheapest possible way, see Smelter Demon. After 13 tries a friend of mine told me I was really dumb to try and kill him with my heavy armor/shield melee str build, and that I' be better served reading a walkthrough to get a fire resist shield somewhere else. Which makes me sad.

I've never been hit by that trap. The game doesn't spawn enemies they're all there you just missed them on the ground or up above. You learned you're an idiot who should be more observant.

Did you really go offline to avoid the PvP areas? I've only broken my weapon twice and thats because I ran around forever without using a bonfire.

Fire Longsword isn't bad and usable throughout the whole game.

Your friend is an idiot. Also if you're gonna read a guide for him you should know that he's optional.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Then there's the hassle of having to go through certain parts of the game offline otherwise you'll get invaded the second you step in them (which, again, it's quantity over quality, something DS2 seems pretty fond of), the massive bullshit that is weapon deterioration, the game doing a terrible job of telling you where to go, the weapon upgrade system that, for some reason, it's still not available to me after 30+ hours because no one is selling that poo poo (so that I upgraded a broadsword and a firesword, maybe the shittiest weapons in the game, and I'm stuck with them). Also, some bosses will absolutely destroy certain builds in the cheapest possible way, see Smelter Demon. After 13 tries a friend of mine told me I was really dumb to try and kill him with my heavy armor/shield melee str build, and that I' be better served reading a walkthrough to get a fire resist shield somewhere else. Which makes me sad.

DS1 had the forest forced PVP too you know. In this one Belfry is optional, and the non optional rat covenant areas don't punish you if you die in PVP. In DS1 you needed to run through the forced PVP to finish the game.

I'll agree that the game doesn't tell you where to go, but it's also an improvement imo that I have a choice and it's not a set path until I beat Anor Londo.

What do you mean upgraded weapons? You can upgrade any weapon to +10 with the blacksmith in Majula. The only thing you're missing is infusion, but if you take a +10 broadsword and make it lightning it goes straight to +10 lightning broadsword. There's no branching like DS1. The firesword is literally an infused Fire Longsword for example. If you're at Iron Keep you can already get the item for infusions. You can also beat the game with either of those weapons... not as a gimmick either, DS is one of the only series where an early weapon is often endgame viable.

Smelter is as much of a build check as 4 Kings was. I could never beat that boss without doing the full Havel's tank build and constantly attacking so that you never had to deal with 2 at once. With Smelter if you're dead set on heavy armor and shield then yeah you need a fire resist shield. Personally I went the opposite direction, took off most of my armor and just started dodging a whole lot. Also came back to him when I could cast lightning spells which helped.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

DS1 had the forest forced PVP too you know. In this one Belfry is optional, and the non optional rat covenant areas don't punish you if you die in PVP

It gets even better: the rat covenant areas are completely optional :shobon:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The only situation where I've felt remotely boned by game design is the blind ambush in Harvest Valley with the 4 fat sickle wielding jerks. You literally cannot see them until you're trapped in the area and the way out is through one of 12 smashable walls.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Oh no, a video game has it's design based on the fact that you're playing a video game, how awful

A lot of people expected better from a Dark Souls game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

you don't lose anything and go back to your world right where you were standing. god, those areas would be unbearable if you actually died.

Awesome. Sounds like I'm going to have fun, then.

I hate the Pursuer sword. That class of weapon (Ultra Greatsword, not the normal greatswords) has a really annoying quirk where if you hold say, left while you're locked on and attack, you swing to the left instead of toward the enemy. It's so that you can stay locked on and still do prediction stuff which is neat in theory but it just means I am slamming a wall when a bunch of enemies are gathered in front of me, then I die.

Every single weapon does this. It is by design so you can adjust your swings when not locked on. It's just much more noticeable on UGSes because the wind-up to a swing is so slow.

Cardboard Box posted:

Smelter Demon was the biggest roadblock of a boss for me and I ended up beating him by going as light as possible and two-handing the Great Club. if you know what to look for his attacks are very much dodgable, as long as you have the agility.

He's really easy to dodge, but loving up the timing on your dodge is usually near-fatal. Also, it just takes ages to grind him down if you have to dodge all his attacks.

Really helps to summon Lucatiel of Mirrah, since she will happily face-tank him, letting you get way more hits in than if you did it solo.

Kawabata posted:

There really isn't anything cheap in the first half of the game. The ambushes are easy to deal with if you actually play properly (move slowly, enter new rooms with your shield up, use the camera to look around corners, pull enemies one by one with a ranged weapon). Nothing "spawns," all the enemies are already there in the world for you to see, you just need to learn to fight without ever pulling more than one enemy.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 1, 2014

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

The funny thing is that I had no problems luring mobs out to fight them in a more favorable spot, but then died to a guillotine trap 2 meters away from me because DS collision detection is still horrifying, 5 years later. I'm sure that's not cheap at all.

And yes, this game is full of Doom 3 monster closets unfortunately.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you're running around like it's your 5th run through of DS1 you deserve to die. A lot of times. From your own hubris.

It's a new game with new areas to learn.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah as an example there's an area where if you walk into a new room 2 guys drop behind you, but then you're already dealing with the enemies in front of you. Next time I went into that area I noticed the two guys are literally chilling up on a ledge in plain view and you can hit them before you go in.

A.C. posted:

It gets even better: the rat covenant areas are completely optional :shobon:

Wait really? How do you get to The Rotten without going through that way? I know chunks of the area and even a boss are optional.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 1, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wait really? How do you get to The Rotten without going through that way? I know chunks of the area and even a boss are optional.

If you go further down the well, it takes you straight to The Gutter :hellyeah: If you're using the ladders, you need to jump down from the 12,000 soul ladder to get there (no need for jump damage reduction gear, as far as I know)

Kawabata posted:

I can only think of one place in the entire game where you're forced to fight enemies you couldn't see before they engaged you and it's the 4 fat-sickle guy room in Harvest Valley mentioned above, and then they come from in front of you instead of behind you. There are no monster closets in this game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 1, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Smelter is as much of a build check as 4 Kings was. I could never beat that boss without doing the full Havel's tank build and constantly attacking so that you never had to deal with 2 at once. With Smelter if you're dead set on heavy armor and shield then yeah you need a fire resist shield. Personally I went the opposite direction, took off most of my armor and just started dodging a whole lot. Also came back to him when I could cast lightning spells which helped.

Smelter Demon is a very fun fight if you dodge, one of my favorites in the game. All his attacks are telegraphed enough that you know they're coming, but at the same time while they take a bit to come out they go really quickly so the dodge timing can be a bit tough to learn at first. His attacks do significant damage but not enough to oneshot you if you're at max HP and/or have a decent Vigor investment (or really, just a decent amount of passive HP from leveling up). The fire tick he has means you can't just stay close and be relatively safe; gotta back off especially if you get to low HP to heal, and it forces you to keep a constant eye on your HP.

My only complain is that, and I don't know if this is true; I've heard if you take long enough he does another power up and turns charred. I've never actually seen this so I'm wondering if someone could confirm it. If it is true my complain is that it doesn't happen quickly enough (which is why I've never seen it; I've always either killed him quick enough or died before he got a chance to use it).

A lot of people expected better from a Dark Souls game.

And it does; rather than wasting time on pointless bullshit like "realism" it has actual really good level design, with a lot of smart enemy placements. Many of which are meant to anticipate player actions (i.e. the easy to aggro Archdrakes in the anime shrine before the third bonfire if you try to rush the mages and you're not careful).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 1, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right the scaling is different between the two and they have a different moveset, the bastard sword heavy attack is still a slash while Drangelic is a thrust.

Well, yeah. Maybe its just my stat totals but at my levels (I don't think I've levelled str or dex from this point) they both have the same attack when maxed. The thrust and slash is actually pretty cool when dual wielding I find. Mostly because I don't have to switch weapons if I need to do a different type of damage against enemies, and partially because switching between slamming and thrusting really confuses most PVP opponents.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Just got to the Iron Keep archer area.

Please kill me.

There's a bonfire right before this that I missed... right? I don't have to run all the way back from the bridge each time... r...right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kawabata posted:

then died to a guillotine trap 2 meters away from me

No it didn't, and no it isn't you literal retard.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

THE PWNER posted:

Please kill me.

There's a bonfire right before this that I missed... right? I don't have to run all the way back from the bridge each time... r...right?

Hahahaha!

No of course not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.C. posted:

I can only think of one place in the entire game where you're forced to fight enemies you couldn't see before they engaged you and it's the 4 fat-sickle guy room in Harvest Valley mentioned above, and then they come from in front of you instead of behind you. There are no monster closets in this game.

You can hear them. You can also see the hollows in the boarded-up bits if you look closely. If you snipe the boards/hollows, you will normally be able to see the tip of the sickles as the dudes move.

Also, you can just run circles around them thanks to the fact that the room has two floors. Go up the ramp, let them follow you, then drop down; repeat at will.

edit:

The "gate" in Iron Keep where you fight a turtle guy in a really small corridor is a good example; the design of that corridor serves no purpose other than to get the player into a situation where he is at a disadvantage.

USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
(it's blunt and the swings are vertical, making it perfect for corridor fighting)

Stop trying to stick to a single build without ever deviating from it. Single build runs are for when you know the game, so new characters or NG+. You should seriously be getting the minimum requirements for a good 100% phys shield, a good blunt weapon (club/mace), a good slashing weapon (the fire longsword is basically fine) and a good bow (shortbow), then upgrading everything you use because shards are unlimited after Iron Keep and chunks can be farmed at will from being a Bellbro.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Please kill me.

May or may not help you (I prefer doing it the traditional way), but if you explore to the right when you first enter the building after the first two Alonne Knights, there's a staircase with a hidden wall at the top, which lets you come up behind the archer and two knights before the big archer room and blast them with a ballista.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

On the other hand, multiplayer is the best in the series, so there's that at least. Rat Covenant and Bellbros are incredibly fun, though I haven't been able to get summoned as a Blue Sentinel ever. I'm around level 100, is this to be expected?

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

No it didn't, and no it isn't you literal retard.

So you're telling me this game has good collision detection. Oh boy, you will suck Namco's cock no matter what. :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Please kill me.

Have fun with the boss :)

A.C. posted:

If you go further down the well, it takes you straight to The Gutter :hellyeah:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Is that why there's a weird "dead end" when you enter the gutter? That's pretty drat cool. Well at least I know from now on I'm not doing the Rat Vanguard on the next playthrough.

Genocyber posted:

My only complain is that, and I don't know if this is true; I've heard if you take long enough he does another power up and turns charred. I've never actually seen this so I'm wondering if someone could confirm it. If it is true my complain is that it doesn't happen quickly enough (which is why I've never seen it; I've always either killed him quick enough or died before he got a chance to use it).

You mean a third powerup? He definitely does 2 whenever I fight him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You mean a third powerup? He definitely does 2 whenever I fight him.

Yeah a third. I remember seeing it mentioned offhand (maybe in some Youtube video?) and I'm curious if it's true.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Is that why there's a weird "dead end" when you enter the gutter? That's pretty drat cool. Well at least I know from now on I'm not doing the Rat Vanguard on the next playthrough.

But if you don't kill both rat area bosses the cat won't sell you her sweet pants!

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Not going to say the bonfire next to three crossbow hollows is well placed but I also never have any trouble with them. I just immediately go down the ladder and they don't follow me.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kawabata posted:

So you're telling me this game has good collision detection. Oh boy, you will suck Namco's cock no matter what. :)

Tell me more about the time your controller literally stopped responding when you TOTALLY rolled out the way of that attack, next. I love that one.

You hosed up. You. Specifically. Deal with your failures and move on, or throw a tantrum about the game like a 10 year old.

Either way it doesn't change the fact you walked into a trap and died.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

y_3 posted:

Not going to say the bonfire next to three crossbow hollows is well placed but I also never have any trouble with them. I just immediately go down the ladder and they don't follow me.

the bonfire near Straid is much, much worse :negative:

Kawabata posted:

Namco Bandai are not the developers of Dark Souls 2

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is he still doing there? I thought he was petrified by those mummies in the first place or something and now he's just chilling with them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I still don't understand how someone can fault a video game for being designed like a video game. I would much rather have a decent and fun to play level over realistic level design.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't think so, actually.

If you stand in place after getting up, they don't care about you. This means you can take a shortbow +1 and plug two of them with a wooden arrow each before heading off the last one with a single longsword slash. The rest of the room is trivial.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

But if you don't kill both rat area bosses the cat won't sell you her sweet pants!

Ugh I hate you for giving me motivation to kill the Rat Authority now. Is it on NG?

y_3 posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is he still doing there? I thought he was petrified by those mummies in the first place or something and now he's just chilling with them.

Everyone else you find Petrified is in an area where you can clearly see what did it. Straid was petrified so long ago whatever did it probably doesn't live there anymore.

But he's an idiot for staying there yeah. The good thing is you can clear out most of the zombies with Arrows without leaving the cell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

They don't aggro you at the bonfire. Use a bow and snipe them from the cell, that does the trick (feel free to snipe one until it stops respawning, then repeat with each one in turn). It is super annoying to have to clear that, though - I wish they'd just removed them after you light the bonfire.

y_3 posted:

Those mummies explode, they don't petrify!

e; vvv huh, the more you know. I just plug them from afar with an arrow, I've never seen them do anything but explode, and they've only done it to me once (I learnt from my mistakes and started dealing with them properly after the first one).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 1, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can also pull them one by one in to the cell by wiggling around a little. Those are my least favorite enemies in the game and I hate them every time I see them but they go down easily and you can make them dive onto your sword in single file.

e: ^^^ The ones by Straid do Petrify. The red ones explode, the yellow ones unleash an acid cloud and maybe explode, but the gray ones in Sinner's Rise/Bastille unleash petrify clouds like the basilisks and don't die when they blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
USE A MACE
(it's blunt and the swings are vertical, making it perfect for corridor fighting)

I've been macelording my way through my first playthrough as soon as I could afford one. :smug:

The fact that maces outperform other weapons as much as they do is an entirely different problem.

I didn't have problems with most of the questionably designed parts of the game but that doesn't mean they weren't game-y and felt cheap.