Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Important question, for those of you who've seen the sequel already: does it feature the best character in the Spider-Man universe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYMl_sS72Y

No, all the great side characters are stuck in the Raimi universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I'm all for giving Spider-Man opportunities to be "Mr. Science", but ffs, the comics currently claim he has an IQ even higher than what Einstein's probably was. That's like peak Mary Sue.

The current comics basically say that if he -had the time- he would be Pym or even Tony (nobody can really be Reed), but since he's always balancing the shittiness in his life, he can't be. His intelligence ends up being just another aspect of "this guy's life sucks."

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The roster of the Sinister Six confirmed:

From the credit sequence, it confirms outlines of Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Vulture, Rhino, and potentially Kraven and Mysterio.

http://collider.com/sinister-six-villains/#more-329368

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

E the Shaggy posted:

From the credit sequence, it confirms outlines of Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Vulture, Rhino, and potentially Kraven and Mysterio.

seems to me like they're setting up Dr. Kafka to become doc ock. the first scene he appears in starts with a close up of him picking up some pretty familiar looking goggles

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

When did this happen? I only got X-men credits and that was it...

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

ExplodingSquid posted:

When did this happen? I only got X-men credits and that was it...

It was the animation behind/around the credits, right before the X-men video.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cyra posted:

seems to me like they're setting up Dr. Kafka to become doc ock. the first scene he appears in starts with a close up of him picking up some pretty familiar looking goggles

They turned Dr. Kafka into a man? What the gently caress?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Killrrhubarb posted:

It was the animation behind/around the credits, right before the X-men video.

Ahhh right, makes sense yeah.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

E the Shaggy posted:

Goddamn give me some Mysterio :awesome:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wanted to enjoy this movie and came *this* close to doing so but I just couldn't. The visuals were stunning and the fight scenes (other than the Rhyno ones) were all amazing. The writing and human drama really killed the movie for me, though. :( Most of the events that transpired in the movie felt entirely unrelated to one another and the story progression made the whole movie feel like a cynical set-up for future cash grab films.

Electro rules but his scenes are almost entirely sectioned off from the rest of the film. Electro could have been removed entirely without making the film any different. One character would've had to find a different solution to a minor problem and that's really it.

Also, is it just me or was Harry Osborn really only on hand so that they could have The Green Goblin kill Gwen at the end of the film? Much like Electro it didn't really feel like he had all that much to do with Peter's story arc.

All in all, I still think that for most people this film is worth seeing just for the spectacle and the visuals. Just...don't pay any attention to the story and dialogue, I suppose.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

JordanKai posted:

Also, is it just me or was Harry Osborn really only on hand so that they could have The Green Goblin kill Gwen at the end of the film? Much like Electro it didn't really feel like he had all that much to do with Peter's story arc.

Yeah, the whole thing was spread too thin. Kurtzman and Orci are sort of known for writing movies that try hard and do okay, but have one or two big flaws that drag the whole thing down.
Like I (and you) said earlier, Electro could have been axed and little would have been lost. Focus on Osborn and let whatever story they come up with work through to a satisfying conclusion instead of having him as the secondary antagonist to tick a specific box.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I saw this a few hours ago, and the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am. Until recently I've been a pretty casual superhero movie fan - yeah, I've seen most of them and usually had a good time, but that's about it - but I enjoyed the hell out of Cap 2, and after seeing it multiple times in theaters I've gone back to watch more of the MCU as a result, and I'm just really loving them.

So I went into this predisposed to warm feelings, but what the hell did I just see? The positives are Spider-Man himself was funny and he actively engaged with the public, and I found his banter with citizens charming and his web-slinging thrilling. I also liked his interactions with Gwen, and both these characters deserve to be in far better films. But the pacing and soundtrack were truly bizarre at points, and while the movie is upfront enough with its very VERY comic-booky tone: hosed beyond belief science and hammy to the point of caricature characters; the motivations were illogical at best, stupid at worst, and it's an especially harsh contrast coming off the back of Cap 2, where everyone is so much more competent and nuanced.

Like, okay, Electro's origin story of grabbing some connectors (and he's supposed to be an expert but he does this balanced on a rickety rail anyway, like an idiot???) then falling into a tank of electric eels and being bitten by them (what the gently caress??) and somehow this makes him into a being of pure electricity is only slightly more absurd than Mark Ruffalo's Hulk being triggered by gamma rays, but I'll accept it because I don't live in a world of Electros or Hulks. However, I do live in a world where I understand basic human behavior, and that's where Banner makes a hell of a lot more sense as a character than Electro. Harry Osborne's driving conclusions are likewise baffling, and a certain scene with Aunt May left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I was forced to keep making excuses to get through the Amazing Spider-Man 2, but why am I doing that? What I want to see are intelligent, capable characters struggling with events - conflicts which have been elevated to the point where even these smart, capable people are challenged by them. What I don't want to see are characters lowered into doing stupid, nonsensical things and twisted into unlikely leaps of logic because the writers can't make the plot work otherwise, and that's the unfortunate case with this film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What didn't you get about Electro's motivations? He was emotionally unhinged, and once he got a taste of power and popularity, what he was lacking otherwise, he perpetuated the behavior that brought it to him, while resenting the guy that took it away from him.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've started played the AS2 tie-in game that got released on Steam a week ago. It's not half-bad, especially considering it's a movie tie-in. The swinging mechanic is great. The combat tries to ape Arkham Asylum but it's too easy to get away with mashing the punch button. What I don't like is that none of the characters' faces resemble their movie counterparts. Why couldn't they license the likenesses of the actors?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 1, 2014

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I've started played the AS2 tie-in game that got released on Steam a week ago. It's not half-bad, especially considering it's a movie tie-in. The swinging mechanic is great. The combat tries to ape Arkham Asylum but it's too easy to get away with mashing the punch button. What I don't like is that none of the characters' faces resemble their movie counterparts. Why couldn't they license the likenesses of the actors?

I haven't really enjoyed a spidey game since Ultimate Spider-Man on ps2. This caught my interest though...

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Darko posted:

What didn't you get about Electro's motivations? He was emotionally unhinged, and once he got a taste of power and popularity, what he was lacking otherwise, he perpetuated the behavior that brought it to him, while resenting the guy that took it away from him.

Electro went from worshiping the one guy who treated him with respect to wanting to kill the same person, for what? Because Spider-Man got some screen-time in Time Square, while simultaneously being the only person who still treated Electro/Max with respect and dignity? To make that narrative work, I have to ignore that Max seemingly became infatuated with Spider-Man because Spidey treated him like a human being instead of walking all over him like the other people in his life. I have to ignore how, when he sees himself projected on all those Time Square screens, he doesn't react at all to his RADICALLY DIFFERENT appearance, but just the fact that he's being seen, which is different from popular, which is a different motivation from being treated with respect. And when the guy he fanboys is literally saving his life and giving him yet more positive attention, I have to pretend Electro feels... betrayed? Because Spidey's image is on more buildings now I guess, how horrible. Even though this is nothing new or has anything to do with his previous infatuation. Let's murder Spider-Man for doing this thing he has no control over, and which was not really thematically relevant until right now.

A similar transformation was covered in The Incredibles a hundred times more convincingly.

I understand the arc the writers meant to give Max/Electro, but it was executed so sloppily and relied on desires that are superficially similar but not actually connected. The result is his story feels as if it was forced into a pre-existing outline rather than arising from organic character growth. Like superhero Mad Libs. I understand writing enough to know that this contrivance is often part of the process, but you still have to make the product feel natural, and this didn't. I couldn't focus on the puppets for all the obvious strings.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

His brain did get zapped by super science electric eels. That could explain it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crisco Kid posted:

Electro went from worshiping the one guy who treated him with respect to wanting to kill the same person, for what? Because Spider-Man got some screen-time in Time Square, while simultaneously being the only person who still treated Electro/Max with respect and dignity? To make that narrative work, I have to ignore that Max seemingly became infatuated with Spider-Man because Spidey treated him like a human being instead of walking all over him like the other people in his life. I have to ignore how, when he sees himself projected on all those Time Square screens, he doesn't react at all to his RADICALLY DIFFERENT appearance, but just the fact that he's being seen, which is different from popular, which is a different motivation from being treated with respect. And when the guy he fanboys is literally saving his life and giving him yet more positive attention, I have to pretend Electro feels... betrayed?
He FELT betrayed by Spider-man thanks to the trigger-happy sniper,everything snowballed from there

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Like I said, I get what the writers were going for, I just think they failed their objective. I want to be impressed with characters in spite of everything, not have to be making excuses for them for two hours.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ExplodingSquid posted:

I haven't really enjoyed a spidey game since Ultimate Spider-Man on ps2. This caught my interest though...
I might suggest waiting for Steam sale, but otherwise I found this game to be pleasantly surprising in quality. It's one of the better ones in the series. The web-swinging travel mechanic is absolutely sublime and I could while away hours just swinging across Manhattan (admit it, this was the only thing good about Spider-Man 2). The combat is passable.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
RE: Electro. I thought the Times Square scene worked fine - he's mentally imbalanced, Peter forgets his name, the sniper etc. My problem is everything after that. The Electro making a speech at the facility feels like a completely different character. I have the same problem with Harry who goes completely nuts after being thrown out of Oscorp.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Crisco Kid posted:

Electro went from worshiping the one guy who treated him with respect to wanting to kill the same person, for what? Because Spider-Man got some screen-time in Time Square, while simultaneously being the only person who still treated Electro/Max with respect and dignity? To make that narrative work, I have to ignore that Max seemingly became infatuated with Spider-Man because Spidey treated him like a human being instead of walking all over him like the other people in his life. I have to ignore how, when he sees himself projected on all those Time Square screens.

I was once king hit because when I gave a dude a friendly nod at a club...

I can very much believe someone snapping over something so small.

ExplodingSquid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 1, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I like Walter Chaw's take, that Electro is a reference to the narrator in Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Is there a reason to see this in 3D or Imax 3D?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Baron Bifford posted:

I might suggest waiting for Steam sale, but otherwise I found this game to be pleasantly surprising in quality. It's one of the better ones in the series. The web-swinging travel mechanic is absolutely sublime and I could while away hours just swinging across Manhattan (admit it, this was the only thing good about Spider-Man 2). The combat is passable.

I actually thought the combat in the original Spider-Man 2 was decent. Nothing amazing gameplay-wise, but the moves you could execute looked cool, and the button combos for them were logical and easy to remember. Much better than the combat in the Spider-Man 3 game, at least.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What a weird mess of a movie, at times I felt like Webb wanted to make a Batman Returns with Spiderman, given the cartoony villain characters, but nope, and what was with the battery montage scene? These scenes are supposed to be left at the cutting room floor.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
Devin Faraci over at Badassdigest.com savaged it. He had a lot of the same problems with it that you guys had:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/01/the-amazing-spider-man-2-movie-review-marc-webb-finally-defeats-spider-man/

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

BobKnob posted:

Whatever my reservations about the rest of the film, the web-slinging totally worked for me and was fun to watch. I'm scared of heights and a few sequences actually made me nervous even though I saw it on a 2D screen. I bet it would look great in 3D, though it's up to you to decide if you want to shill out for the full IMAX effect.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Renoistic posted:

RE: Electro. I thought the Times Square scene worked fine - he's mentally imbalanced, Peter forgets his name, the sniper etc. My problem is everything after that. The Electro making a speech at the facility feels like a completely different character. I have the same problem with Harry who goes completely nuts after being thrown out of Oscorp.

I was coming here to make basically the same point you did.

The character of Max Dillon was very fun to follow, and you felt bad for the guy - but like you said, the entire scene in the Ravencroft facility just felt wrong. The part that truly made me cringe was him comically spouting "I...am....ELECTRO." just felt ultra-forced and wrong.

The thing that concerns me most about the film and why it feels so massively 'off' in places is just how much stuff is obviously cut from it. In most trailers we hear a voice over from Norman Osborne saying "We have big plans for you, Peter Parker" and the entire twist with Harry showing Peter that Oscorp has been watching him - None of that was in the film at all, and it suggested a better plot to explain Harry going from Fool to Tool in 1 hot second.

I almost think a better plot would have been for Peter to happily give Harry his blood, thinking he was helping his friend under the pretense all it would do is heal him - Then discover his Dad's super underground subway lab, learn that the serum is going to gently caress Harry up, and spidey swing past Oscorp to take it back and give the speech about 'You can't have it, it might hurt you.' At least this would give Harry motivation to hate Spider-man a bit more convincingly, the hope of a cure being taken away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BobKnob posted:

Weed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

indigenous nudity posted:

Devin Faraci over at Badassdigest.com savaged it. He had a lot of the same problems with it that you guys had:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/01/the-amazing-spider-man-2-movie-review-marc-webb-finally-defeats-spider-man/

But... Batman and Robin owns.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Honest Thief posted:

What a weird mess of a movie, at times I felt like Webb wanted to make a Batman Returns with Spiderman, given the cartoony villain characters, but nope, and what was with the battery montage scene? These scenes are supposed to be left at the cutting room floor.
I liked that scene. Reminded me of Tony Stark testing the suit parts for the first time in Iron Man 1. I liked seeing Parker humorously carrying out weird experiments and having them backfire. Very tonally Spider Man, if you ask me. Same with most of the gags in the film.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really didn't hate any of the movie and felt that it could all gel together. But I don't think it did. It would've been nice if maybe we got the scenes either in a different order or something that connected them more together.

Did anyone else think Norman's conversation with Harry was that he tested Science Stuff on Harry when he was a child?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Honest Thief posted:

There's a line in that scene about batteries overloading which foreshadows Spidey's method for taking down Electro. But I agree that the scene was a little drawn out.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Raimi trilogy was non-stop cornball goofiness so I'm not sure why people suddenly have an issue with it if it really is a fair assessment. Also they probably did such a tonal shift because everybody bitched about how the first was too dark and brooding.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Maybe our standards have been poisoned by the Nolan Bat-films and the Avengers movies, where the villains are not quite as goofy. Even so, I'm pretty sure the Hobgoblin is the worst villain to ever appear in a Spidey flick.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Maybe our standards have been poisoned by the Nolan Bat-films and the Avengers movies, where the villains are not quite as goofy. Even so, I'm pretty sure the Hobgoblin is the worst villain to ever appear in a Spidey flick.

There are easily three worse villains in Spider-Man 3.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The Raimi trilogy was non-stop cornball goofiness so I'm not sure why people suddenly have an issue with it if it really is a fair assessment. Also they probably did such a tonal shift because everybody bitched about how the first was too dark and brooding.

The Raimi movies were more than just non-stop cornball goofiness. They had a lot of different elements that balanced each other out and helped hold the films together. Sometimes it just comes down to the fact that one director is good at something, and another isn't.

And, despite my dislike of it, the first movie was generally well-received and made a lot of money, so it's their own fault if they made a radical shift in direction based on the complaints of some people on the Internet (I doubt that had much, if anything, to do with it).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 2, 2014

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Just got back from seeing it. I loved the first film, but thought this one was a bit of a mess. The writing, in particular, was really poor.

That said...

I cannot imagine the death of Gwen Stacy being done any better than it was in this film. Anyone that knows how it happened in the comics knew when it was about to happen in the movie, but holy poo poo I didn't expect them to slightly alter it to have her head smack into the ground. I actually jumped at the sound.

This movie may be a bit of a turd, but that scene was absolutely well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DFu4ever posted:

Just got back from seeing it. I loved the first film, but thought this one was a bit of a mess. The writing, in particular, was really poor.

That said...

I cannot imagine the death of Gwen Stacy being done any better than it was in this film. Anyone that knows how it happened in the comics knew when it was about to happen in the movie, but holy poo poo I didn't expect them to slightly alter it to have her head smack into the ground. I actually jumped at the sound.

This movie may be a bit of a turd, but that scene was absolutely well made.

His reaction to her death really got to me. I wasn't really that emotionally involved, but suddenly it got me.

Everything that is Peter and Gwen is pretty great, because they have such great chemistry (probably why they are an actual couple) The rest of the movie jumps around in quality. I did enjoy Electro more than I anticipated, so there is that.

• Locked thread