Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Squirrel Burger posted:

How the hell they got some dude from Queensryche to endorse this is beyond me.

A band that just finished a legal battle against their former lead singer and his wife who formerly managed the band is likely to be cash poor. They'd probably endorse anything you shove in front of them right now.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a kitten posted:

i dunno, i'm not sure how technically proficient it is or anything but i just gave Peace Sells a listen for the first time since like '89 and it turns out that i don't hate it. I doubt i'd throw in on just to listen to it, but he seems like he can, ya know...play a bit.

that symphony video tho...that poo poo's something else.

How about a terrible lack of instruments?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwNrjvNiYs

weedely deedely

Local "alternative" radio played the gently caress out of that when it first came out. I basically wanted to die. And I actually had friends suggesting that I might LIKE it. I was about ready to bludgeon them.

Squirrel Burger posted:

I was gonna mention Harpguitars, but then again, I think they're pretty rad and just get a bad rap from being used primarily in wanky acoustic circles.

This is how you play one right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPgBd-T0pU

Amazing, it sounds...like a song? Interesting.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

This is math rock in a tiny dollhouse with a drummer who plays a small kit so I dunno what the thread's going to think but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekv3UgyVUCM

See, I wouldn't have guessed this was math rock at all. It's got a groove. It's not dibidibidibibbididdillibididity in 17/8 time. It sounds, again, like a song. Battles I like, and other weird instrumental stuff like Russian Circles, but when it comes to stuff like Hella and Lightning Bolt I just can't parse what's going on.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgq2fPEO4k

Is this math? I saw them live once, and by the end of the show the drummer's knee was bleeding profusely because he mangled it on the stack of broken cymbals he had slung over his kit somehow.

Also, he's a pretty good drummer.

This too because the "painting job alone costed him $250"

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kickstarter is pretty remarkable for supporting ~$100 inventions no one will bother using 15 minutes after the novelty wears out.

As stupid as that thing is, made out of plastic for $20 would make a hell of a lot more sense for a gimmick.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

a kitten posted:

i dunno, i'm not sure how technically proficient it is or anything but i just gave Peace Sells a listen for the first time since like '89 and it turns out that i don't hate it. I doubt i'd throw in on just to listen to it, but he seems like he can, ya know...play a bit.

that symphony video tho...that poo poo's something else.

How about a terrible lack of instruments?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwNrjvNiYs

weedely deedely

A lot of that was Chris Poland. Even though he looks like a 60 year old MRA hes still owns at guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTtu6LyS2A

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FretPen Kickstarta posted:

And best yet: The real-world skills and muscle memory you develop with FretPen are directly transferable to a full-size guitar

That's how Little Wayne learned, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irradiation posted:

A lot of that was Chris Poland. Even though he looks like a 60 year old MRA hes still owns at guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTtu6LyS2A

yeah pretty much all the good lead guitar stuff from megadeth was whoever could put up with dave's poo poo for an album or two. dave's solos are all basically flailing about over a minor pentatonic lick and the occasional chromatic run

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Did Mustaine finding Jesus make his music noticeably worse, or was it pretty much at rock bottom by that point anyway?

Or did I make up the thing about him finding Jesus?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Did Mustaine finding Jesus make his music noticeably worse, or was it pretty much at rock bottom by that point anyway?

He's found Jesus a few times as far as I'm aware. He basically finds Jesus, then finds some drugs, then finds Jesus again. He's had some not-entirely-terrible moments over the last 15 years or so, but a lot of it is pretty meh.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
jesus is his dealer's name. he just doesn't know how to properly pronounce it

Ferrous Wheel posted:

yeah he lost the plot like 20 years ago chasing whatever the gently caress it was metallica was doing in their thirties

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is this math? I saw them live once, and by the end of the show the drummer's knee was bleeding profusely because he mangled it on the stack of broken cymbals he had slung over his kit somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqxVo2XLyI

Zach Hill is loving crazy. He's also a goddamn genius and the best drummer that I've ever heard. If I was a woman, I'd try to capture his seeeeeeed. Watch the video all the way to the end. It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kVOJfZg_E

This is from his first solo album. Probably my favorite song, like, of any song. The rest of the stuff on the album is much more mathy, especially the song "Toll Road", which is really strange and catchy at the same time.

[edit] That song "Trust" that Megadeth put out in the 90's wasn't total poo poo, iirc the album was pretty okay too.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 30, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Dave found Alex Jones and is an insane conspiracy theorist/evangelist now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

BUSH 2112 posted:

[edit] That song "Trust" that Megadeth put out in the 90's wasn't total poo poo, iirc the album was pretty okay too.

A coworker of mine used to be a sound engineer in Nashville and worked on that album. He said Dave Mustaine was about what you would expect (basically said he was crazy and kind of an rear end in a top hat). Also, that album was terrible (Trust was ok).

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 30, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I remember reading an interview with him in Guitar World in the 1990s where he talked about how on their one album he did poo poo like using a tuner to make sure he was bending every note exactly right and that everything was perfectly in time with no tiny fuckups, which back then must have made him a giant loving pill to work with.

Irradiation posted:

Dave found Alex Jones and is an insane conspiracy theorist/evangelist now.

Haha, the loving singer for Korn (they still exist somehow) is an infowars/Alex Jones crazy who believes that the UN is using Agenda 21 to take over the world. Pretty sure that Skrillex dude is too.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I think it was on Countdown to Extinction, and they used strobe tuners to make sure the bends were in tune.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

bitchtard posted:

Thank you I will continue to love disco.

proud of you bb

satanic splash-back posted:

the only thing wrong with disco is its difficult to make it sound right on guitar

it's the neck pickup on a strat hth

Allen Wren posted:

He's found Jesus a few times as far as I'm aware. He basically finds Jesus, then finds some drugs, then finds Jesus again. He's had some not-entirely-terrible moments over the last 15 years or so, but a lot of it is pretty meh.

That album about how the Bush election was rigged was pretty good

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

That album about how the Bush election was rigged was pretty good

It was alright, yeah. Like anything he did, it needed an editor, but it could have been a lot worse.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
the guitarist in my group switched over to using my nashville power tele for our rock disco-type stuff

if you haven't seen a nashville power tele they are worth checking out. i swapped the pickups, bridge and saddle on mine immediately after buying it through some shady craigslist deal. pretty sure the dude was a traveling junkie from the cleanup job it needed. turned out to be an anniversary model from the 90s, though

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 1, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

My guitarist bought a loving bare knuckle pickup branded capacitor and is convinced it's better than an identical spec capacitor made from the same materials from a normal company that costs 1/10th of the price kill me now. Also claims 0.0022uf or 0.0015uf capacitors are hard to find (they aren't).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

It's a loving £15 capacitor.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
... You think $30 is ridiculous :smug:

fake edit: There's a reason why I used the smug emote. :cawg:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

axolotl farmer posted:

jazz_fusion.gif

Is this trent reznor before he became famous

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Stux posted:

My guitarist bought a loving bare knuckle pickup branded capacitor and is convinced it's better than an identical spec capacitor made from the same materials from a normal company that costs 1/10th of the price kill me now. Also claims 0.0022uf or 0.0015uf capacitors are hard to find (they aren't).

Haha, with people like this I just show them on Mouser how easily it is to find

220pf (.0022uf) give hundreds of results, in any material you want. They are just passive components people are dumb.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i wish i had waited like three months before buying a set of bareknuckle pickups because duncan finally came out with 8 string models and tbqh they're pretty much the same thing for half the price

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

comes along bort posted:

i wish i had waited like three months before buying a set of bareknuckle pickups because duncan finally came out with 8 string models and tbqh they're pretty much the same thing for half the price

Their 8 string models are real nice too

E: On the plus side you can flip those BKPs for like 75% of what you paid for them

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah i'm too lazy to do that and they sound fine so whatevs

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

what happened to White Dog Eggs and the terrible goon guitar?

same thing as all goon projects I guess. I liked his/her posts in this thread

:ohdear:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

flavor posted:

Is this trent reznor before he became famous

That's Jaco, I think? Dude loved cocaine, as you might imagine.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

fyodor posted:

That's Jaco, I think? Dude loved cocaine, as you might imagine.

It's John Patitucci. Dude has the bass equivalent of lead guitarists' face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-ziu3SWqM

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah, it's Patitucci on one of the Chick Corea Elektric Band tours in the '80s (that's Chick on keytar over there on the right at the beginning of the gif). I only know all this info because some other goon tracked down the video it came from, although I don't have the link to it anymore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

am i a terrible person for thinking without the chrome that would look pretty good or at least okay

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Those are dumb as hell, but I can't hate them because they are exactly what they're meant to be.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squirrel Burger posted:

How the hell they got some dude from Queensryche to endorse this is beyond me.

Because they suck?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I was going to skip posting this picture that showed up on my Facebook feed until I saw the strap on the gun-tar.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
The f-holes on that V. Christ.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I know, it looks awesome!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ThePutty posted:

am i a terrible person for thinking without the chrome that would look pretty good or at least okay

Allen Wren posted:

Those are dumb as hell, but I can't hate them because they are exactly what they're meant to be.
same and same, though the green/gold one has to go

Dirt
May 26, 2003

BigHustle posted:

I was going to skip posting this picture that showed up on my Facebook feed until I saw the strap on the gun-tar.

That V is pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

that is a tiny rear end guitar

or huge dead guy maybe?

• Locked thread