Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Easiest way to get lockstones is to ratbro it up, yes?

Yes. You get one whenever you defeat the host as a grey phantom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Ignimbrite posted:

I just had my first invasion, in drangleic castle, I had just gotten past the room with the 3 knights and the giant cursing painting when he shows up; he's in light armour double-handing what looked like a broken longsword or something. We traded blows for a while before I lead him back to the room that backs onto the acid pit and my black knight halberd came out and I splattered him over the walls :getin:

That was an NPC.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

dudeman posted:

That was an NPC.

I thought NPC phantoms didn't have the "you are being invaded" and "the invader was killed" messages at the bottom of the screen though?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

someone summoned me for the scorpion boss and I guess they just ran past all the lion dudes, because they completely swarmed him and he died as I was still spawning in. I've seen a lot of poo poo farming for sun tokens.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
NAVLAAAAAAAAN! :argh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

I thought NPC phantoms didn't have the "you are being invaded" and "the invader was killed" messages at the bottom of the screen though?

There are NPC Invaders and NPC Black Phantoms, the only real difference between the two is that the Invaders give you those messages and are generally actual NPC characters you have met and/or pissed off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Genocyber posted:

And it does; rather than wasting time on pointless bullshit like "realism" it has actual really good level design, with a lot of smart enemy placements. Many of which are meant to anticipate player actions (i.e. the easy to aggro Archdrakes in the anime shrine before the third bonfire if you try to rush the mages and you're not careful).
You've been saying nothing except "lol l2p scrubs :smuggo:" for pages now. We get it, you're awesome and anyone who has any criticism about the level design just sucks at it. Now go back to gamefaqs.

I agree with NihilVerum, the zones in DS2 just feel less organic and appropriate than the ones in the last game. The whole approach to the Iron Keep is basically cribbed from DS1's approach to Izalith, what with the vertical poison level, flat poison level, lava level, but where DS1 actually felt like you're actually travelling somewhere - descending through the sewers, climbing down a rickety shanty down built into the walls of the above city's garbage dump, trudging through the sludge and finally spelunking down a natural cave into the underworld - the whole thing feels like a sequence of Doom levels. It's a lot more low-effort design and not nearly as well integrated.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"Doom levels" is a bit hyperbolic but the game is less organic. Considering the sheer length of it, that was to be expected.

I believe Dark Souls is a demanding sort of game, so the players can be equally demanding and, dare I say, nitpicky when it comes to criticism. I'll still waste hundreds of hours on it though.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Hm, I seem to be stuck. I've beaten the four old soul bosses and lit all four primal bonfires but the gate to the king won't open for me. Of the 4 old souls the DDF one has a different icon, doesn't look like an old soul. Any ideas?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

torsoboy posted:

Hm, I seem to be stuck. I've beaten the four old soul bosses and lit all four primal bonfires but the gate to the king won't open for me. Of the 4 old souls the DDF one has a different icon, doesn't look like an old soul. Any ideas?

Did you pick up the other soul on the ground near the dragon's head?

A.C. posted:

There are NPC Invaders and NPC Black Phantoms, the only real difference between the two is that the Invaders give you those messages and are generally actual NPC characters you have met and/or pissed off.

Oh. I never realised there could be NPC invaders. Neat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

The game actually spawns new NPC invaders when you try to cheese the PvP areas by going offline. :hehe:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just got invaded by a bellbro and a black phantom, and they totally duked it out. Nice.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Pull back
Pull back
Pull back
Don't you dare!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, PVP isn't as fun in NG+ now I'm starting to realise how many loving one-shot tank mages there are.

Seriously, five invasions, all against dudes that one shot me and have defenses that result in me only doing 200 damage. If they don't just fast roll out of range with full Drangelic, argh.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 1, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dual Blue Flame in PvP is hilarious because nobody knows how to deal with it. When someone does its a hella fun fight A++ would recommend

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ice_Mallet posted:

Pull back
Pull back
Pull back
Don't you dare!

I dared, and now I have to live with my decision.

It's amazing where the guy turns up. Right in the loving Gutter!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

torsoboy posted:

Killing those four bosses opens up a door that you'll find down a path from the "left" exit of the Shaded Woods bonfire (if you find a Flexile Sentry, you're going the right way). The doors that mention "producing the symbol of the King" are something else.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

nothing makes sense from a "People used to live and work here" perspective.

I hope the guys who worked at Sen's Fortress got danger pay.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Umberger posted:

Killing those four bosses opens up a door that you'll find down a path from the "left" exit of the Shaded Woods bonfire (if you find a Flexile Sentry, you're going the right way). The doors that mention "producing the symbol of the King" are something else.

Yes, that's the door I can't get past..

edit: I read your comment wrong, I'll go back and try again - thanks

Ignimbrite posted:

Did you pick up the other soul on the ground near the dragon's head?

I did pick it up I think... I went back just now and there is a crystal thing in its place which I can activate but doesn't do anything.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

hahah yeah, I don't think any part of the Dark Souls world felt plausible/less video gamey than this game. I think it was more interesting and cohesive though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Anor Londo archer bridge was both a fun challenge and cool design. Placing archers out of reach willy-nilly (Looking at you Drangleic Castle) isn't the same.

The problem isn't that maps are designed like a video game, it's how obvious it is this time around.

There isn't a single archer out of reach in Drangleic castle that I can think of off the top of my head, for melee characters or casters/archers. Plus the archers aren't even that bad. The archers in DS1 were way worse than in 2. I still think that designing levels to be fun and challenging is more important than designing realistic levels, and if you have to sacrifice realism and a logical layout in some areas for fun, then that's perfectly fine by me.

But a good portion of the areas in 2 felt well designed from both a basic design standpoint, and a level design standpoint, much like Anor Londo. I feel that Earthen Peak in particular is a good example. The place didn't feel like just a video game level. It felt like you were inside a massive machine built to pump poison up into the queen's chambers. The poison doesn't just come from nowhere. It comes from the toxic mines that you just battled through to get there. All throughout the level are gears and axels and pools of poison, all powered and propelled by a giant windmill, which is why it makes sense that when you burn said windmill, the posion recedes. Nothing really feels out of place or overly gamey, like it was just put there to be an obstacle for the player, but it's still a delight to traverse through such a challenging and vertically oriented level. I will say that burning the windmill was a rather obtuse solution, but once you know to do it, it makes sense that it would work.

In the end the most important thing is that the levels aren't a chore to slog through, and I find (almost) all of them to be fun as hell.

And as Junkenstein pointed out

Junkenstein posted:

If you think every area in DS1 felt like a realistic and liveable area, you're just deluding yourself.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Sen's was specifically designed to be full of traps and assholery though? Lore-wise, I mean.

In other new I finally beat Darklurker - The goddamn rear end in a top hat even got one last soul spear off while already in his death animation!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

There is nothing in this game as dumb as the bridge drake in Dark Souls 1. Like flat out the bridge drake is pretty fuckin' random except for the really obtuse trick of running in place behind a column to create enough aggro to make it jump down at you for no apparent reason.

Or all of Lost Izalith!

Seriously do people actually like the second half of Dark Souls other than maybe the Duke's Archives branch and the DLC (which is the best part of the game entirely)?

The primary design difference that I can tell in encounter design between DS1/2 is volume of enemies at once- Dark Souls 1 has enemies spread throughout the level, with one or two at a time usually in each encounter. The main exceptions I can think of this for the whole level is the Catacombs, but even then that's limited to the range of engagement by the skeletons depending on how you approach them. From the get-go, Dark Souls 2 generally has you facing 2+ enemies minimum for the majority of the encounters- try to think of the specific encounters where you only fight a singular enemy and you'll find that either it's a trap or based on a gimmick.

The difficulty of DS1 lies in the slow grind of the levels. Your respite is finding a bonfire that lets you In DS2, the difficulty lies in each set of encounters, which then tends to lead a 'checkpoint' bonfire.
I think that's a major part of what makes DS1 level design feel more 'natural', while DS2's feels more 'gamey'.

Also, I seem to have broken into the NG+ range of PVP at the bellbros or somethin' cuz I'm starting to see some real hosed up health values (2k+!) in my encounters with some of these folks!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The archers were way easier to deal with in Drangleic than that one awful segment of Anor Londo. The archers aren't the problem with the design, the aesthetics of the castle interior are the big problem. The approach is amazing but once you're inside it's a little dull, unlike Anor Londo which was visually interesting from beginning to end. The highs are higher in Dark Souls 2 but the lows are lower as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The archers were way easier to deal with in Drangleic than that one awful segment of Anor Londo. The archers aren't the problem with the design, the aesthetics of the castle interior are the big problem. The approach is amazing but once you're inside it's a little dull, unlike Anor Londo which was visually interesting from beginning to end. The highs are higher in Dark Souls 2 but the lows are lower as well.

There is nothing remotely as bad as Lost Izalith and the bed of chaos in Dark souls 2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish Shalquoir would give you the exact number of points you have in each covenant instead of just the rank. I've been Bellbroing for a while and can't remember how many kills I've gotten (it's somewhere around 60-80, I think?), but I'd love to know when I'm supposed to go see the covenant NPC to get the rewards.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I really like how the worlds and stories of dark souls 1 and 2 link up. It somehow makes this game even more depressing than the first.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Andrast posted:

There is nothing remotely as bad as Lost Izalith and the bed of chaos in Dark souls 2.
The Bed of Chaos was a pretty cool and unique boss, though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
All my non-casting stats are now at 20, with 30 strength(Tower Shield) and 25 dexterity(Heide Spear), where should I put points now? More health/stamina or level up my damage stats to the cap(40 I believe?) first?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

I'm talking visual design, not game design. Though you could make an argument for the Prowling Magus being as bad a boss for different reasons.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
I dropped my large soapstone sign outside of Smelter Demon and was summoned shortly after. The host walked into the fog door, but right when he did, I got the message that the "host has left the area" and was kicked back to my world. The option to drop my sign was grayed out after. What's going on? Did the host hack me?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Ugh, I wish there was a website that lets you compare stats on items. All the wikis seem bent on listing stats in the worst possible way.

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009

Noblesse Oblige posted:

I dropped my large soapstone sign outside of Smelter Demon and was summoned shortly after. The host walked into the fog door, but right when he did, I got the message that the "host has left the area" and was kicked back to my world. The option to drop my sign was grayed out after. What's going on? Did the host hack me?

I've had that happen to me at least a half dozen times, but only in the Bastille. I think it might just be a bug of some kind, the other summoned players I was with got kicked from the sessions as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Noblesse Oblige posted:

That means the guy who summoned you already killed the boss, contrary to popular belief you can still summon guys from Large Stones when the boss is dead, which is kind of stupid because there's no way for them to succeed. If you quit to the title screen and start again you should be able to use your stone, that part is a bug.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, the interior of the Anor Londo castle was boring as all hell, if you ask me. The outside and cathedral were quite nice though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

A.C. posted:

That means the guy who summoned you already killed the boss, contrary to popular belief you can still summon guys from Large Stones when the boss is dead, which is kind of stupid because there's no way for them to succeed. If you quit to the title screen and start again you should be able to use your stone, that part is a bug.

yeah, he probably summoned you to help him with the Pursuer that shows up after Smelter Demon is dead, which you can't do with a large white soapstone because it counts as an area transition (but maybe with a small white soapstone?)

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Most of the time making good levels requires not going by real life building standards, because real buildings are very rarely designed for the kind of flow and complexity that progression requires. Even poo poo like Assassin's creed and Uncharted are super far off from how real cities and buildings actually work despite being based off of them, due to the structure that the Teach -> Practice -> Provide system most level design ascribes to.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
How come I can't fire the great arrows? I thought my bow was to small (was using the shortbow) but then I bought the dragonrider bow and I get the same thing. When I try to fire it he does the no ammo animation.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Danith posted:

How come I can't fire the great arrows? I thought my bow was to small (was using the shortbow) but then I bought the dragonrider bow and I get the same thing. When I try to fire it he does the no ammo animation.

You need a greatbow. The alonne knights drop one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Danith posted:

The Dragonrider Bow is still just a bow, not a greatbow.