Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm almost SL100 and I still only have one Great Soul. :shepicide: I can't stop Sunbroing and exploring every nook and cranny.

Edit: What's the typical endgame soul level, by the by?

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love this helmet~

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
For how monotonous Iron Keep is, the smelting room where you pull the lever and dip the big metal guys in lava is hilarious.

I never got tired of that.

Oh, and finally getting Chaos Storm felt so rewarding. I didn't know what I'd be getting, but it was something that complimented my character, so I felt so great about figuring it all out.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I fought someone in PvP who had the Curved Dragon Greatsword.

man, I really want that sword.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish there was a way to opt-out of PVP and just have more NPC phantoms instead. I just want to cock about with NG+ and not get backstabbed from 50m away everytime I go to any area because apparently anywhere outside of the US and Japan is a single region. Also because I'm loving poo poo at video games, but still.

Guess I'm done! Fun game except for that.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just on the topic of cheapness and ambushes from the past few pages I'd like to chip in that I'm a bad and lazy player and I really haven't died very often up to where I am (just after the Mirror Knight). All of the ambushes can be observed by peeking and the 'fiddly' places that I normally hate like the Iron Keep and the Gutter were actually really short in hindsight.

I found Ds1 way harder and I think that's because you couldn't fast travel. :v:

e: I hope something cooler than Vengarl is round the corner it's ugly ew but I like the defense.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Noxville posted:

I don't remember any deaths in this one as cheap as the bit in DS1 where the drake comes from nowhere to toast the bridge, or the first time you encounter a mimic. Neither is remotely predictable.

Untrue. For the Hellkite Drake; you can see a number of burn marks on the bridge, which immediately makes it suspect. I avoided dying my first time through because of that.

As for the Mimic, it's a chest at an odd angle in a place filled with traps. That +the fact that mimics are a relatively common enemy in fantasy games is enough to set of warning flags.

Kerc Kasha posted:

He does it whenever a player is near to him after stabbing the ground. So best way to avoid it? don't go near him after he stabs the ground wait for another opening

After he does the blast you have enough time to run it and get off an attack or two. If he immediately removes his sword from the ground you still have time for a running attack.

Cardiovorax posted:

You've been saying nothing except "lol l2p scrubs :smuggo:" for pages now. We get it, you're awesome and anyone who has any criticism about the level design just sucks at it. Now go back to gamefaqs.

I agree with NihilVerum, the zones in DS2 just feel less organic and appropriate than the ones in the last game. The whole approach to the Iron Keep is basically cribbed from DS1's approach to Izalith, what with the vertical poison level, flat poison level, lava level, but where DS1 actually felt like you're actually travelling somewhere - descending through the sewers, climbing down a rickety shanty down built into the walls of the above city's garbage dump, trudging through the sludge and finally spelunking down a natural cave into the underworld - the whole thing feels like a sequence of Doom levels. It's a lot more low-effort design and not nearly as well integrated.

No, there are legitimate criticisms (tho not many) to the level design; just none of the ones you idiots are bringing up. Being less organic means jack poo poo to the actual gameplay. No matter what you do the world cannot feel even remotely realistix because being realistic would make for poo poo levels. I don't want to walk for several hours to get from area to area, which is what you'd have to do for more realistic transitions. You can consider the lack of "integration" as a bad thing, but it means nothing for the actual gameplay.

The important thing is that the levels are design well, and they are. Not quite Demon's Souls level, but pretty close. They throw a lot of things at you and expect you to cope, which is very good. Dks didn't do that so much; only places I can think of would be the AL archers, some parts of the Tomb, and of course the DLC.

Only criticism I can come up with off the top of my head; it's still a bit too easy to draw out enemies one at a time or eliminate them one at a time. You can turn a challenging level really easy just by sniping (i.e. shrine of anime, or the big room in IK (the one with the Smelter boss fog). My greatest hope for future games is better AI, or at least situations where they have enough stacked in their favor to offset their stupidity (the Dark Chasm of Old for example, though obviously not that difficult).

Cardiovorax posted:

The Bed of Chaos was a pretty cool and unique boss, though.

Oh nvm you're just trolling/really dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The game sure as poo poo doesn't screw around on NG. Those falconers. :allears:

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish there was a way to opt-out of PVP and just have more NPC phantoms instead.

A while back somebody posted here saying that if you go offline it adds more NPC invasions. Perhaps give that a try when you play again?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Is it just be or are half the people playing this game assholes?

I'd say more than half.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why why whyyyy did they make a helmet so awesome and intimidating as the smelter demon helmet have an anus for a face. uuuuuuugh.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish there was a way to opt-out of PVP and just have more NPC phantoms instead. I just want to cock about with NG+ and not get backstabbed from 50m away everytime I go to any area because apparently anywhere outside of the US and Japan is a single region. Also because I'm loving poo poo at video games, but still.

Something something git-gud covenant.

(I feel your pain).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ice_Mallet posted:

A while back somebody posted here saying that if you go offline it adds more NPC invasions. Perhaps give that a try when you play again?

That's only for the ratholes/Belfrys, I'm pretty sure. Also then I miss out on messages/bloodstains, which sucks.

Voluspa posted:

Something something git-gud covenant.

Someone had to say it :v:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I really wish there was a Ring of Fog in this game. You can't do a proper Predator set-up without one! There's everything else you need, too. Handclaws, the mask, plasma cannons, combisticks. Damnit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Why why whyyyy did they make a helmet so awesome and intimidating as the smelter demon helmet have an anus for a face. uuuuuuugh.

Don't see how that's a bad thing. Stupid helmets are the best helmets.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Except it's really hard to be invaded for the most part? Whether in ng or ng= you will only be regularly invaded if you're in one of the belfries (which is the entire point of those areas) or if you're a Sinner, which requires 10 or more points of Sin. And you can lose those easily enough just by letting yourself get killed by a couple Blues.

Minorkos posted:

I really wish there was a Ring of Fog in this game. You can't do a proper Predator set-up without one! There's everything else you need, too. Handclaws, the mask, plasma cannons, combisticks. Damnit.

Plasma cannon?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
A big thing is that the level transitions being weird Is justified/contextualized by the lore.

Specifically Gilligan, Chloanne, and Shalquoir's dialogues about the world being built on the ashes of old kingdoms, constantly being redone and built at different times, in small sectional areas. It makes sense that in this convoluted, cyclic lore that the Widda Palace from King's Field 4 (Earthen Peak, even its boss is taken from King's Field 4) would be found next to a giant mountain volcano that eerily resembles Stonefang tunnel's bottom chambers, both thematically and visually.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone had to say it :v:

Given up on gargoyles for the same reason, pvp is hilaribad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are some nice looking places in this game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Al-Saqr posted:

Be wary of huge but hole.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Al-Saqr posted:

Better question: why does the smelter demon have assface when it doesn't seem to be a giant or related to giants?

laplace posted:

A big thing is that the level transitions being weird Is justified/contextualized by the lore.

You might be right but it still looks stupid and is really jarring, so you're not right. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Genocyber posted:

No, there are legitimate criticisms (tho not many) to the level design; just none of the ones you idiots are bringing up. Being less organic means jack poo poo to the actual gameplay. No matter what you do the world cannot feel even remotely realistix because being realistic would make for poo poo levels.
Maybe calm the gently caress down and work on your reading comprehension instead of cussing at people when you don't get what they're saying.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe calm the gently caress down and work on your reading comprehension instead of cussing at people when you don't get what they're saying.

Don't see I'm misunderstanding you. You take issue with how the levels are connected to each other, and considering this bad level design. This has nothing to do with the design of the actual levels (beyond giving them more freedom since they're not trying to make them inter-connected) and so doesn't matter in the slightest.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Better question: why does the smelter demon have assface when it doesn't seem to be a giant or related to giants?

Because it is.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

turtlecrunch posted:

You might be right but it still looks stupid and is really jarring, so you're not right. :colbert:

No, but you see, my aesthetics are the only asthetics. :smuggo:

Anyway its not like talking about Iron Keep even matters because the entire Huntsman's copse line of areas is by far the worst, most boring and bland of the game. It's just a bunch of wide open areas with some ~spooky poison~ pushing you along a path until you fight in a straight line through some corridors.

Edit: Lava/fire also counts as poison because it's "Don't walk here unless you want damage" movement restriction garbage. Just has a red skin instead of green.

It's not exactly the same level of genuine design catastrophe as Lost Bastille, but it sure is goddamn bland and a chore. At least we get really good fights in the Bastille. Oh Ruin Sentinels, how I love you :allears:.

I suppose Mytha is really cool for those of us who have played King's Field IV, though.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 1, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ I really like the Lost Bastille? :shrug: Heck I like huntsman's too for that matter.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm almost SL100 and I still only have one Great Soul. :shepicide: I can't stop Sunbroing and exploring every nook and cranny.

Edit: What's the typical endgame soul level, by the by?

Its really going to depend upon how completionist you were, how much co-op you did, etc. But I found myself finishing the game in the range of like SL 120-150

kirbysuperstar posted:

Burn a human effigy at a bonfire?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 1, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think my first time through it wound up being 152. Lots of sunbroing because I really wanted those dang sunlight spears, and I only skipped 2 of the optional bosses.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Don't see I'm misunderstanding you. You take issue with how the levels are connected to each other, and considering this bad level design. This has nothing to do with the design of the actual levels (beyond giving them more freedom since they're not trying to make them inter-connected) and so doesn't matter in the slightest.

You seem awfully indignant about people not agreeing with you.

DS1 had, for the most part, extremely good level design.
DS2 does, for the most part, not.

But I guess according to your idea of design they could've just made a bunch of long hallways with enemies in them as long as the fights are cool.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is it worth it to be trying to max out my vitality? I want to be able to wear and carry heavy armor and weapons without the crappy roll, but I feel like I'm really losing a lot of benefit from other attributes.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

You seem awfully indignant about people not agreeing with you.

DS1 had, for the most part, extremely good level design.
DS2 does, for the most part, not.

But I guess according to your idea of design they could've just made a bunch of long hallways with enemies in them as long as the fights are cool.

Well, if it helps at all, you're wrong

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is it worth it to be trying to max out my vitality? I want to be able to wear and carry heavy armor and weapons without the crappy roll, but I feel like I'm really losing a lot of benefit from other attributes.

There's effectively no level cap so just keep playing and you can have both :)
You don't really "max out" vitality though... but you can get enough that you can wear heavier armor if that's what you mean.

Is it worth it being able to wear heavier armor? sure. Is it more important than <other stat> ? Depends upon your build and your playstyle!

If you've got the lovely roll though then just change your armor to lighter armor. Change back when you get the vitality.
You should never go above 70%, and staying below 50% feels pretty good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zaphod42 posted:

You should never go above 70%, and staying below 50% feels pretty good.

Or you could a consistent weight load of 98% like me and look fabulously :black101: as gently caress with big armor big swords big everything all the time.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think a lot of people are confusing level design with, I dunno what to call it, the architectural design(?) that DS did so well with the interconnectedness of everything. I'm only about 1/4 through, but so far I think DS2 has better actual level design.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Varinn posted:

Well, if it helps at all, you're wrong

The whole path to the Iron King is just one big meta-commentary on the appalling effects of the exploitation of labor by the bourgeoisie and we plebians are just too dumb to realize it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It's a volcano with a castle in its crater. There, the entire earthen peak-iron keep discussion is solved.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I played with the fat roll for a while because wearing the ironclad set outweighed other considerations, and it's not impossible (especially if you use a greatshield). Dodging becomes less about rolling through attacks and more about simply walking out of the way and patiently trundling back in when there's an opening. Not the fastest playstyle, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Except it's really hard to be invaded for the most part? Whether in ng or ng= you will only be regularly invaded if you're in one of the belfries (which is the entire point of those areas) or if you're a Sinner, which requires 10 or more points of Sin. And you can lose those easily enough just by letting yourself get killed by a couple Blues.

Tonight I went to Drangleic Castle and Slaid's Cell, got invaded at each, then went into NG+, got maybe ten steps into Forest of Fallen Giants and got invaded again, at which point I gave up. SM was about 2.8m. It happens to me a lot.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Kinda amazing how prevalent messages that say 'tongue but hole' next to female NPCs have become.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Which NPC's need to be summoned a certain number of times for a sidequest and which ones are just there to supplement sunbro numbers?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

Kinda amazing how prevalent messages that say 'tongue but hole' next to female NPCs have become.

Eh, the same happened in DS1 with "amazing chest ahead"

gamers.txt

Although I think part of why those messages, as well as the "keep going, skeleton!" messages get upvoted so much is since Dark Souls is so stressful and bleak, its nice to have some comedic relief once in awhile.

Asehujiko posted:

Which NPC's need to be summoned a certain number of times for a sidequest and which ones are just there to supplement sunbro numbers?

Lucatiel and Benhart mostly. Technically Pate as well, probably another I'm forgetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

I put a message saying 'beware of sadness' next to a bunch of these at the far fire. If the patriarchy is smashed soon, I'll know I played my part.