Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When is the shareholder meeting for June again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
That mario kart bundle looks pretty decent, does anyone think it could push WiiU sales above the other 2 systems?, at least for May, since the only big releases are wolfenstein and watch dogs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PacoPepe posted:

That mario kart bundle looks pretty decent, does anyone think it could push WiiU sales above the other 2 systems?, at least for May, since the only big releases are wolfenstein and watch dogs.

No, because consumers have already given up on the system.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PacoPepe posted:

PS4 has only just started to be widely available outside the US, and is still having supply issues in some countries. So no.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It will probably give the system a nice boost for awhile, then drop again.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PacoPepe posted:

It might sell above the Xbone for June, but I don't honestly see the Wii U outselling the PS4 any time in the future unless Smash Bros. is accompanied by a price drop.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm a dumb idiot bitch who bought a Wii U at launch and I am legit happy about the free game with my MK8 purchase. Thanks Nintendo!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm a dumb idiot bitch who bought a Wii U at launch and I am legit happy about the free game with my MK8 purchase. Thanks Nintendo!

Yeah, it's not often you get a free game just for buying one. It's pretty desperate.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PacoPepe posted:

Watch Dogs is gonna be huge for both consoles. Not a single solitary chance.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah, it's not often you get a free game just for buying one. It's pretty desperate.

Only time I recall it happening was Saints Row The Third coming with a free copy of Saints Row 2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kewpuh posted:

I don't think we really need to drag algebra into this but let's just say the Wii U uses outdated technology yet still has incredible games like Zombi U and

I know he used X and Y instead of P and !P but that's actually logic, not algebra.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Eh, Nintendo have done it several times on the 3DS already, sometimes with three games, sometimes with just one, even long after the sales had picked up. I would agree with you that Nintendo are desperate for Wii U sales, but I don't think it's a desperate measure, just good marketing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Monster Hunter 3 was selling pretty okay and they did a promotion where you straight-up got a second copy whenever you bought the game. Obviously, that was for NOE.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Katana Gomai posted:

Eh, Nintendo have done it several times on the 3DS already, sometimes with three games, sometimes with just one, even long after the sales had picked up. I would agree with you that Nintendo are desperate for Wii U sales, but I don't think it's a desperate measure, just good marketing.

You actually had to buy a 3DS with the game in those offers, you couldn't get the free game just by buying one other game. For Nintendo this is pretty unprecedented.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You actually had to buy a 3DS with the game in those offers, you couldn't get the free game just by buying one other game. For Nintendo this is pretty unprecedented.

And they're doing it in the dumbest way. They're giving you a free game for a game everyone's going to buy (and is the only major game that has been released on the thing since 3D world), and they put out a bundle for it that's over 300$. :psyduck: They are neck deep in poo poo and they should basically be bribing people to buy the WiiU at this point but they still think 330$ is a good idea.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You're right, I forgot that registering the console itself as well was part of the B1G1 offers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What really sucks is that its probably the Wiimote and the wheel driving up the cost.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

And they're doing it in the dumbest way. They're giving you a free game for a game everyone's going to buy (and is the only major game that has been released on the thing since 3D world)

I'm not sure it's such a bad idea to offer a bonus game with the game that will sell the best. Doing this offer with a popular game like MK8 will have more of an effect on Wii U sales than a less popular game. The offer has a better chance at word of mouth with Mario Kart's recognition. The factor of popularity will help achieve an effect that's more exponential, rather than a mere additive effect which would accompany a less well known game. It's sort of like the way the 3DS version of Smash Bros. was favoured over the WU version--the 3DS is much more popular and was seen as the best way to maximise profits if it was released first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One of the free games is ten years old, two of them never sold well, one is at market saturation, and two of them have Dlc they want you to buy.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Stux posted:

Like you say though in that case the Wii u would've had significantly higher costs from the outset due to using a more expensive technology.
What makes you think capacitive would have been that much more expensive? The very cheapest 7" tablets on Amazon (<$50 shipped) have capacitive screens, which strongly suggests resistive is now actually more expensive. At launch you could maybe guess the other way, but resistive was clearly obsolete then and being phased out on every consumer device.

PacoPepe posted:

That mario kart bundle looks pretty decent, does anyone think it could push WiiU sales above the other 2 systems?,
In America, the Wii U was outsold more than 2:1 by both new consoles in February and 4:1 by the PS4 in March, you'd have to assume a loving enormous number of buyers who want MK8 so badly they'll buy a console for it and aren't already Nintendo fans enough to buy the Wii U for SM3DW, DKCTF or whatever.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Alteisen posted:

What really sucks is that its probably the Wiimote and the wheel driving up the cost.

What's really awful is that the driving wheel is so bad that in the wii version of the game they literally put a little icon next to your name to let people know if you were intentionally handicapping yourself and trying to use motion controls to drive instead of a nunchuck.

Also watch_dogs is going to be huge, it's got massive hype and there have been very few next-gen AAA games on either console. I know I plan on buying it probably day 1.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

One of the free games is ten years old, two of them never sold well, one is at market saturation, and two of them have Dlc they want you to buy.

gently caress your free games Nintendo, I demand smash for free instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Edmund Honda posted:

What makes you think capacitive would have been that much more expensive? The very cheapest 7" tablets on Amazon (<$50 shipped) have capacitive screens, which strongly suggests resistive is now actually more expensive. At launch you could maybe guess the other way, but resistive was clearly obsolete then and being phased out on every consumer device.

In America, the Wii U was outsold more than 2:1 by both new consoles in February and 4:1 by the PS4 in March, you'd have to assume a loving enormous number of buyers who want MK8 so badly they'll buy a console for it and aren't already Nintendo fans enough to buy the Wii U for SM3DW, DKCTF or whatever.

Resistive touch screens are still dirt cheap, they have less uses but the technology and manufacturing is comparatively simple, its two sheets of material with a charge that register where the sheets contact. A modern capacitive screen simply has far more electronics inside it as a matter of course (the number of capacitors alone in a decent multitouch screen is in the hundreds). Also you need to bear in mind that poo poo capacitive screens exist on a lot of budget tablets/phones and wouldn't be acceptable to nintendo on their flagship product. The reason that these products have moved to all capacitive now is really because of the fact that anyone who bought a tablet and realised it needed a stylus/didnt act somewhat like an idevice would be pissed off or, more likely, just straight up wouldn't sell, rather than because of manufacturing costs.

Seriously though if you ever get a chance, find someone with or somewhere stocking a dirt cheap capacitive phone or tablet and use it; they're utter dog poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

gently caress your free games Nintendo, I demand smash for free instead

I'm not complaining, I'm saying these free games aren't really a desperate ploy.

Actually I am complaining because the only one I don't own is Wii party U. They should have put W101 and Game and Warrio on the list in America, not like its selling by itself anyway.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

I'm not complaining, I'm saying these free games aren't really a desperate ploy.

The reason Nintendo is being uncharacteristically generous with this deal is because the console has cost them so much money. A deal like this wouldn't be offered if it weren't for the distinct failure of the Wii U. You don't have to label the offer with an emotion like desperation but you have to acknowledge it is not something they would normally do.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

Lets stop adding to the confusion that resistive screens must be more expensive because the bottom of the barrel tablets/phones use capacitive. That's more evidence that nobody wants resistive and that they don't sell, just like the Wii U.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

If Nintendo keeps supporting the Wii U and releasing more and more games I think the Wii U has to pick up a bit. By the end of the year with Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. (and SMTxFE) I think it'd be worth getting one. Considering X and Bayonetta 2 also on the way, and 3D World and Wonderful 101 already on the system, I think it would be worth 300 dollars.

Although now that I think about it those are all Nintendo games (or funded by Nintendo?). Maybe Watch Dogs on the Wii U will be the best version? But wait, my point was if Nintendo keep releasing quality titles on the system it's going to keep improving the value of the system. With each exclusive quality Nintendo title I feel the value of the system slowly improving. Maybe it's just that the software titles are desirable in spite of the Wii U hardware being garbage. Nintendo have always made good games at least. Even if the hardware is poo poo if the software is good and the price is right it's not like I wouldn't get one just to spite Nintendo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

How bad is the resistive touchscreen on the WiiU tablet anyway? Never used one since you never see working demo units anywhere and no one I know has bought one.

I did have a resistive touchscreen phone once, and holy poo poo was it garbage.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Thauros posted:

How bad is the resistive touchscreen on the WiiU tablet anyway? Never used one since you never see working demo units anywhere and no one I know has bought one.

The one thing you can say about nintendo's touch screens is that they're well made and accurate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Frag_Man posted:

(and SMTxFE)

Is there an import solution for a US Wii U for when Nintendo inevitably doesn't bring this out in the US?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Thauros posted:

At least for the Art Academy sketch app/game, I've been pretty impressed with how precise you can be with fine pencil points. Seems at least as good as most tablets/phones/Surface that I've used and it handles the edges well. So, not bad at all IMO. There also doesn't seem to be much on the system that requests much of it in terms of precision anyway.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there an import solution for a US Wii U for when Nintendo inevitably doesn't bring this out in the US?

No idea why they wouldn't, provided SMTxFE ever comes out. The new FE was pretty successful, and they did a promotion with it and SMT4.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thauros posted:

It's pretty much garbage for finger touching (and even worse for gestures), the resistance required is much bigger than we're used to with capacitive devices.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...I've had literally zero issues with the Gamepad touchscreen and it's felt perfectly fine for me? This includes a complete playthrough of Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and extensive Nintedo Land playing.

That's...one hell of a drastic experience you're having than I am. I mean, holy crap, everyone I've shown the Gamepad to have had nothing but great things to say about it and the touchscreen.

Edit: Even browsing the internet's pretty great on it. Quickly looking at secret levels or star coins I've missed on New Super Mario Bros Wii U was fantastic. The Wii U's got problems, but come the gently caress on people.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I find that the only thing the Wii U's touchscreen is bad for is typing messages on Miiverse, in general anything drawing related and anything requiring precision will be better on a resistive screen unless you're using extremely expensive technology like Samsung's S Pen. I mean, what would you honestly use multitouch for besides typing on a device that has physical buttons on it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

...I've had literally zero issues with the Gamepad touchscreen and it's felt perfectly fine for me? This includes a complete playthrough of Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and extensive Nintedo Land playing.

That's...one hell of a drastic experience you're having than I am. I mean, holy crap, everyone I've shown the Gamepad to have had nothing but great things to say about it and the touchscreen.

Edit: Even browsing the internet's pretty great on it. Quickly looking at secret levels or star coins I've missed on New Super Mario Bros Wii U was fantastic. The Wii U's got problems, but come the gently caress on people.

The sensitivity is just not good enough for finger touch, doesn't matter what some Wii U boosters on the internet claim. It's uncomfortable to use this kind of resistive touchscreen as a "button replacement".

deadwing posted:

I find that the only thing the Wii U's touchscreen is bad for is typing messages on Miiverse, in general anything drawing related and anything requiring precision will be better on a resistive screen unless you're using extremely expensive technology like Samsung's S Pen. I mean, what would you honestly use multitouch for besides typing on a device that has physical buttons on it?

So, pretty much bad for all its main uses - but it's nice for niche usage like drawing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think NoE has done free game offers that didn't require registering a system, but they involved registering more than one game. With Pikmin they expect to sell DLC. I'm a little surprised that Wonderful 101 wasn't offered here because its sales were SO BAD.

Nintendo is finally marking down some of their first party games so they're starting to understand that people like discounts. They've marked down several 3DS and Wii U titles to $30 this month, although that's obviously not a HUGE slash on 3DS ($40 to $30 as opposed to $60 to $30).

This promotion is one of those things where... there's so few Wii U owners that giving them a free game is negligable, but maybe that's enough to push a new consumer over the top into buying a system. But $330 is still too drat much. Gotta make it $250.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo's fiscal year earnings release is scheduled for May 7th.

I wonder how much Sony will reveal about PS4 profits, considering the company as a whole went from last years predictions of 500 million in profit to a projected 1.27 billion in losses. But hey, that PS4 is pretty swell, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I wonder how much Sony will reveal about PS4 profits, considering the company as a whole went from last years predictions of 500 million in profit to a projected 1.27 billion in losses. But hey, that PS4 is pretty swell, right?

Its the PS2 all over again, baby. Hail to the king.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

We'll see, last quarter was pretty swell for the PlayStation division. The rest of the company? Not so much.

quote:

Amid the doom and gloom, PlayStation is doing well. During the quarter ending 31st December 2013 the Game business made a profit of $172m off the back of an impressive 64.6 per cent rise in sales year on year.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-01-ps4-is-doing-great-but-its-a-different-story-for-sony

But still, I feel the home console sector is headed for some real trouble in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't think it needed to be pointed out that Nintendo is posting losses as a gaming-exclusive company, while Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions are part of a larger corporation. Of course, Microsoft's gaming division is not in any better shape financially, but they're also making three quadrillion dollars on enterprise software. Sony, anything that's not gaming is in the pits.

• Locked thread