Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I realized something cool that Wildbow could do given how the battle with the abstract demon went. Blake was somewhat worried earlier in his dealings with Conquest that the shackles on Rose might open her up to the C-Man's influence, and that she might not be a secure person to give information on his plan. She eventually convinced Blake otherwise because he needed her help, and now we've seen Conquest wringing their plans out of her.

Or so we were told.

Given Blake's concerns, wouldn't it be the best opportunity to throw Conquest off if they had came up with a better plan (perhaps one tied to some object, like sheets of paper where they wrote it down,) put it in motion in a couple of different ways, and then fed some "major," but unnecessary portion of the plan (say the notebook that they took the paper from to draft the whole thing out) and fed it to the abstract demon on purpose?

If so, neither Rose nor Blake could tell conquest about it, and thereby spoil the plan, if they couldn't remember planning it or setting it in motion. The abstract demon doesn't rewrite history, just removes memories of events (or removes "connections"? We're not totally sure how Ur does it yet.) So if they fed Ur some "key" piece of their planning of said alternate plot, but not the items related to the other portions they set in motion, wouldn't that prevent them from remembering the plot, but allow the other portions to carry forward?

I think it would be a pretty elegant set-up... but I'm not sure if he's put enough forshadowing in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

So the plot of the movie Push

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Victorkm posted:

So the plot of the movie Push

Never seen it, but I guess now I have to...?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Well that was a chapter.

Seems like we're going to have the big confrontation on Saturday, maybe Tuesday?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That was refreshing. It was neat getting some insight into the minor characters we haven't spent much time around. Gotta say, though, that Blake probably should have brought up the whole "no lying" thing before awakening his circle of friends to magic. It would have irritated me finding out about that after the fact, when there's no going back.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now taking odds on which/how many of them die :v:

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
They're going to live, drat it! :mad: No one's dying and everything will be rainbows and puppies from the next update onwards, you'll see.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Seeing how Blake's friends specialize once they have a chance to should be interesting (assuming they don't all die in the next fight, which would be pretty dumb). Blake expects Tyler to be a jack-of-all-trades who does a little of everything. That might be a bit of misdirection, though; it seems a bit too similar to Blake (especially since Blake credits his talent with glamour to being able to bullshit like an artist). Could differentiate them as Blake being better at pulling something on the spot and Tyler being more inclined to preparations, but that's basically Rose's role. With his interpretations of the objects in this chapter, I could see him having a focus on chronomancy, maybe.

Alexis is interesting. She sees a knife as creative, and associated the dreamcatcher with bonds (which could be read as connections). Her personal item represented a past of loving up, but wanting to make, help, or fix things. She might be headed for an enchantress kind of role, or some kind of healer.

Tiffany is practical. Her words on the rose and knife lay that in the open, and her comment on the skull is an open appreciation of dualities - life and death, beauty and terror. In light of some of the stuff she said on the date back in 4.6 (“I’ve never been in a fight, not… not that sort of fight. But it makes me angry. Makes me want to hit them, beat them senseless for being so stupid that they’ll beat each other senseless."), I think she might gravitate towards being a goblin queen, or maybe even diabolism. Beating nasty things up, binding them, and making them beat up stronger, nastier things.

Honestly, I don't know that Blake should have included Tiffany; he doesn't know her that well, and I'm not sure that she's getting into this for the right reasons. Blake is in it because he was forced, and most of his friends are in to help him, but Tiffany wants to use it to redefine herself. I don't think that's healthy in magic, between the recent talk of possession and the older rule that personal power is founded in connections to yourself and your normal life.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Who bets that at some point in Pact, Blake realizes that there needs to be an informed populace to enact any real social change, so he goes gently caress THE MASQUERADE and tries to awaken/inform the whole world? That seems like a very Wildbow-ish plot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, you gotta be a bit more subtle than that. Maybe something like a rapid growth-oriented secret soci- ahahahaha Blake being subtle yeah right.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just finished Worm a couple days ago. I really enjoyed it. I mean, it kept me reading voraciously for over a million and a half words. That's pretty impressive. That said, it had a lot of flaws too. I'll start with the bad things so I end positive.

The pacing had problems. It's essentially a first draft and it shows. Stakes are kept too high for too long sometimes. There's no reflection time. The time skip was bad. It was funny reading comments all the way in the next arc that were like, "Wait, this is two years in the future?!" Definitely signs something is amiss.

The prose was nothing to write home about. There's a lot of exposition, and it sometimes sounds expositiony even when it's not exposition. Yikes. Even with all that exposition, I felt like it was hard to follow sometimes.

Felt like I was reading Russian literature or the Wheel of Time books at times. Huge cast. Everyone has civilian and (sometimes multiple) cape names, plus a power set you need to be able to recall to follow the action. The cast page was a god send, but it still wasn't enough sometimes.

The strengths more than make up for this stuff, but I look forward to published Worm. These are all problems I think he can fix, and it should be amazing when he's done. I hope he has a good editor helping him with this behemoth. It has so much going for it.

I loved Taylor. She is maybe the best superhero I've ever read. She reminds me of Batman in being a resourceful, driven, focused tool user, but she is better than Batman in absolutely every way. Instead of the boring and broken super power of unlimited wealth, she has the awesome and totally reasonable power of controlling bugs. Instead of being a dick who people inexplicably love, she's someone who other characters respect, like, or hate for understandable reasons. Instead of spending her time punching poor people and throwing mass murderers into easily escapable prisons, she identifies real problems and then fixes them.

She is just the most badass motherfucker during fights, and she is badass in a way that makes it really fun to cheer for her. She is also an incredible paragon. She made impossible choices over and over, and I'm not sure I remember any that were really morally objectionable. Morally questionable? Maybe. Morally trying? Absolutely. But goddamn does she do a lot of good, for good reasons, with careful consideration to whether or not she's doing enough good or good in the right way.

I liked how so many characters acted as a foil to Taylor. Maybe it was just a cohesiveness of theme, but pretty much everyone compared and contrasted with Taylor in a way that helped me better understand both characters and the world at large.

I liked the Slaughterhouse 9. I've seen some people saying they didn't like them, but they struck me as horror movie monsters from day one, and I thought they fulfilled that role with gusto.

I really liked the theme of cooperation. At the end, Tattletale makes a little speech about how Taylor always asks for cooperation when it's hard to say no or something. It was insightful but unfair. (Tattletale in a nutshell.) Taylor does ask for cooperation in ways that put pressure on the people she's asking. And she always asks from a position where she feels she can do the right thing moving forward. Over and over, though, she puts herself on the line to try and get cooperation. She does reach out and compromise. It's just that almost no one will meet her half way. Of course, a lot of the people who don't meet her half way get murdered by Taylor, but that's just how things go. (Seriously, why didn't Coil just give up Dinah? Idiot.)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get some thoughts out there and see if I couldn't find other opinions.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Those are some pretty good points. On the topic of Coil, I think he did give Dinah back in his alternate timeline, but he collapsed that one when he thought he could get away with keeping her. He just collapsed a little early, trying to get an edge in that last conversation of his.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Felt like I was reading Russian literature or the Wheel of Time books at times. Huge cast. Everyone has civilian and (sometimes multiple) cape names, plus a power set you need to be able to recall to follow the action. The cast page was a god send, but it still wasn't enough sometimes.

I agree with you that the cast is huge, but I thought that Wildbow did a remarkable job keeping the cast separate and memorable. Lots of those characters have their own unique voice and motivations, far beyond the Wheel of Time trap of "[profession] with a [country of origin] accent".

One of the things that helped out a lot with that were the interludes. Getting to see the world -- and especially Taylor -- through other eyes made a huge difference in understanding why characters reacted the way they did. In a superhero story, even one centered around a supervillain, it's easy to make everyone opposed to the protagonist into an antagonist. One of the story's biggest strengths is that even when characters are opposed to Taylor (or anyone else), it typically winds up having a very reasonable explanation.

(In general, I agree with your points. It's definitely a first draft, because Wildbow said he started publishing this way as a means to force himself to accept "good enough". Prior to this he would wait for something to be perfect and never actually finish it.)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Coil would only have given up Dinah if Alexandria pried her from his dead hands. It just works so well with his power I think anyone would be tempted to keep her. The time skip is pretty bad though and the Wards-part was my least favourite bit by far.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I think the fact that people wouldn't go along with Taylor so often literally comes back to the reason why capes fight so much.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Kalas posted:

I think the fact that people wouldn't go along with Taylor so often literally comes back to the reason why capes fight so much.

It's really difficult to un-entangle shard influence from ptsd and other mental illnesses where character motivations are concerned here, so rather than point towards one influence or the other its probably best to just assume its a combination of the two that cause the capes to act the way they do. This also has the benefit of this anti-social behavior being something that can be overcome, where as wholly shard influenced behavior would paint every cape (and thus humanity) as just totally god damned hosed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I haven't read Worm yet, and he's only just started on this, but I'm seeing the same 'reasonable antagonists' thing you've been talking about in Pact too. He's done a really good job with the interludes he's done so far, making characters that come off as just terrible people/dicks from Blake's point of view and making them seem pretty sympathetic from their own point of view. Being raised with an awareness of magic seems to make you grow into a rather ruthless person considering how high the stakes are when it comes to magic, and the admittedly dangerous oath to have her children be ignorant of magic that Grandma Rose made is probably what allowed him to actually grow into the more reasonable person he is today, especially considering that people being raised by a diabolist, even the most good intentioned diabolist you could find, would inevitably be considerably more ruthless than any other practictioner by default, simply because it would be necessary to survive when the universe itself is aligned against you and your family. Consider that she set up the family against itself simply to cultivate this ruthlessness she percieved as necessary for a diabolist, even despite the oath of ignorance, and Blake could have ended up just as much of an rear end in a top hat as any of the people he met if things had worked as she had planned.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 2, 2014

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just spent ten days binge reading Pact;

I really like that Blake was able to reach out to his friends. I know there's good reasons for Taylor always being so isolated and unable to fit in, but it could make Worm really depressing to read. Plot , setting, and five arcs of evidence to the contrary aside, it looks like Pact is going to be a lot more fun.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Just spent ten days binge reading Pact;

I really like that Blake was able to reach out to his friends. I know there's good reasons for Taylor always being so isolated and unable to fit in, but it could make Worm really depressing to read. Plot , setting, and five arcs of evidence to the contrary aside, it looks like Pact is going to be a lot more fun.

No, you see, he has to have all these friends so they all can die horrible deaths, and so he can quadruple his bad karma for being the ones who initiated them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Blake needs all his friends so they can do the other genre where weirdly-costumed teams fight bad guys!

In the name of Ornias, I will punish you!

Then they'll die horrible deaths and karma will make everything worse via the power of friendship with demons.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I think it would have totally fit Coil's new persona as Calvert to have let Dinah go. You forego her power for a week or so, but in the end you still get to use it (at the PRT's expense), just not as ruthlessly I suppose.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Saturday chapter out. :ohdear:. Damnable cliffhangers!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah. It's getting to the point to where I'm actually looking forward to Monday's because of a new update.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I wonder if Pact is meant to be a lot shorter than Worm. Did Wildbow give any indication of the length for these next stories? Obviously there is tons of room left in the world but potentially taking down Conquest and the Behaims in one blow feels like it wraps up all of Blake's major antagonists. From here he would really just have to work on his negative karma by sealing demons and trying to set the world right.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
None, as far as I know.

But then, I don't think the Behaims are really the big antagonists; they're the act 1 hurdle. The Duchamps are still out there, and Johannes the sorcerer certainly seems much worse than both.

And, let's be honest, we've still not seen much of what the world is like, what the lawyers are like... probably the ultimate big bad IS the lawyers, in the end.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

What I was thinking the other day is in worm near the end it turns out the big thing in the series are the giant space worms so in pact what I want to know is what the pact will be

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Lyon posted:

I wonder if Pact is meant to be a lot shorter than Worm. Did Wildbow give any indication of length...

IIRC, Pact is supposed to be about a year and a half long.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Grundulum, I agree that the cast is fleshed out very well. I'm just bad with names, and the fight scenes were sometimes really hard to follow as I struggled to remember exactly what some guy's power was and how it was related to the the action just described.

I don't think the lack of cooperation is because shards are conflict driven. I think the super powers and the conflict loving shards are just there to enhance the theme. In real life, humanity could pretty easily end absolute poverty, dismantle our nuclear stockpiles, stop global climate change, etc. But we don't because humans are both great and awful at cooperating. This is why I really like Worm's themes of cooperation and leadership.

Pavlov, that is a very interesting theory. If that is the case, Coil is significantly less dumb than I thought.

I'm on the second arc of Pact. It's kind of dragging for me. Does it get better? It just feels like an exploration of how this world was custom designed to be unreasonably awful for the protagonist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It gets better, but don't expect the protagonist to be getting any definite victories any time soon. Or even a breather really.

If you think about it though, Blake is doing incredibly well with the hand he's been dealt. The guy has some serious talent.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

From Pact 1.1:

quote:

I opened my eyes, and I didn’t see my bedroom. I could feel my body in one place, sheets still hooked over one foot, my chest heaving, and I could see in another place.

Glances were exchanged down both lengths of the table. On one side, women and girls of varying ages, all blonde, in matching shades of green, white and blue. On the other, appearances varied. Men and women, old and young. Hair color and appearance varied, but there was little doubt they were a family.

“Huh,” the man at the one end of the table said. A member of the family. “I’d hoped she would slip in her old age. A shame, she made other arrangements.”

The blonde woman opposite him folded her hands in front of her. “That was… noteworthy in scale. Kind of her to point the way, but she was never crude. We’ll need to know what she did before we move on.”

“Agreed,” the man said. He opened a pocketwatch, glancing inside. “For now, let it be. There is enough at stake here that someone is bound to make a play.”

The blonde woman nodded. She turned her attention to the pair on either side of her, a blonde girl and a dark haired boy. reaching out for their hands. “I believe we were talk about wedding plans?”

So we got the Duchamps, the big thing that happened I assume involves Rose?

quote:

I realized I’d been holding my breath, trying not to be heard. When I did breathe, it was a small gasp, not enough to bring air into my lungs.

I closed my eyes, trying to shut it out. When I opened them, I saw a room, everything turned to a right angle. A house, messy, with pizza boxes and garbage here and there. Two twenty-something individuals, a boy and a girl, approached, getting so close their faces filled the field of vision.

A lurch, and the view was righted.

“The metronome?”

“Something big just happened,” the girl said. “Told you. Just now, I told you.”

“You’ve been ‘telling’ me for a while now. This doesn’t mean we should do anything.”

“You’ve got no balls, no balls. We should investigate, and, just to be safe, we should investigate with weapons in hand.”

“I don’t- no, Eva. This is dangerous, and-”

“And what? We should ignore it all?”

“It’s dangerous.”

“So are we, little brother. So are we,” she said. She opened the ledge beneath the living room window, hefting a crossbow. She threw it at him.

“gently caress!” he shouted. “Eva!”

“It’s not loaded, dink,” she said. She picked up a revolver, then spun the chamber. “What should we bring? Silver bullets, inscribed bullets, incendiary bullets…”

“Cold-forged iron,” he responded, a little sullen. “Bone. Paper. Every other follows different rule. What looks like a goblin could be a demon, or a wraith, or a glamour. I mean, you remember those ‘vampires’ from out west.”

“The faerie? Sure.”

“You’re not getting what I’m saying. If they can fool themselves into thinking they’re vampires, and believe it to the point it becomes sort of true, sparkly skin aside, then they can fool us. This is what bothers me about all this. You can’t make any guarantees, you can’t slap on convenient labels. It’s why we call them others. You can’t plot-”

“We can try. And if we can murder self-deluding faerie, we can murder whatever this is.”

“Even if it’s human?”

“You’re supposed to be the smart one in this partnership. Anything that can knock the metronome over isn’t human anymore, or it won’t be for long. Let’s assume I’m going out anyways, what do I need?”

He sat down, leaning back, and sighed heavily. “Bring everything? Might as well bring me.”

“Now we’re talking,” Eva said, smiling.
Ok, we have the demon hunters - but what is the metronome?

quote:

I turned my head, and gripped the mattress. Like someone trying to come up for air, I pushed myself to an upright position. Still, I couldn’t see. When my vision started to clarify, it was a third location, outdoors this time.

“What the drat was that?” A girl asked. She stood in the snowy field, her checkered scarf frozen hard where the moisture of her breath had crusted it and solidified. “It felt like something moved.”

“Someone moved,” a young man responded. “Come on, now. You know better. Everything has a price when you’re dealing with this world, Maggie. Even answers to stupid questions.”

“Right. Thanks,” she said. “I’ll figure it out myself, Padraic. I hope it’s a noob. Be nice to not be the rookie on the block.”

“Funny thing, Maggie,” Padraic said, and when he smiled, the expression extended further than it should have. The smile too wide, the eyes too long and narrow. “When something momentous occurs, it can be the equivalent of lighting up the night sky, scattering fog and clouds to the horizons. You can see more clearly… but when you look, they can look back, too.”

Maggie went stiff. “They’re watching. And listening. Darn it. Now I’m going to have to do something.”

“I’ll give you that one for free. It was worth it, to see that expression on your face.”

He reached out, to touch her face, and she slapped his hand aside, hard. The small impact banished the scene.
Not much extra here, just introducing us to Maggie and Padraic

quote:

There was no relief before I saw a fourth picture.

A girl or a woman, swaddled in winter clothes. Shouting, pointing.

The individual on the receiving end was a rabbit, sitting on a snow-covered rock.

The rabbit turned, and the girl turned to look in the same direction.

Bending down, she reached through the snow until she found a stone. She threw it right for the center of the ‘image’, breaking the ‘picture’.
I assume this is Briar Girl

quote:

Another, quickly after the last. They were starting easier and finishing easier.

A weathered aboriginal woman, brushing a young girl’s hair with a broad-toothed comb. It might have been an ordinary scene, except it was the dead of night.

She picked up a chain, then shackled the girl at the wrist. She noted the observer, then scattered the image with a wave of one hand.
Not sure who this is - something involving Rose maybe, given the girl getting shackled?

quote:

And now a man, sitting on a throne, a tall, long-nosed, long-haired dog at his side. The room at the top of the tower was subject to strong winds, and his long hair blew as the dog’s did.

A still scene, quiet, the visions slowly stopping.

Below him, the small village sprawled. Jacob’s Bell. Except things were different. A twisted reflection of the buildings, with embellishments and decorations. Arches, steepled roofs, pointed roofs that curled and bent in zig-zags. All lit up in crimson sunset.

The other scenes had been at night.

The dog looked up. It spoke, “Johannes.”

“Mm,” the man in the throne said. “‘Lo, stranger. Listen, I don’t think you should believe what any of them say about me. If you need help, I can offer it.”

“For a price,” the dog added.

“For a price. Resist the urge to dismiss what you just saw, you’re in a bad enough situation as it stands. Now do yourself a favor and wake up.”

I did. I was sitting on the edge of my bed now, panting, gasping.
Johannes, this one is a gimme. I don't think Blake has really taken him up on his offer of help, but maybe it is coming.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Oh, and in case anyone wants to do a reread on their Kindle, I updated thorf's python script from earlier.

Changes: Updated URL, updated regex to handle <strong> in different location, allow for their being no ending link:
code:
# -*- coding: cp1252 -*-
from __future__ import print_function
import re
import os
import urllib

get = lambda url: urllib.urlopen(url).read()
toc = []
output = "output"

nextURL = "http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/bonds-1-1/"
#nextURL = "http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/agitation-3-1/"
try:
    os.mkdir(output)
except: pass

while True:
    html = get(nextURL)

text = html
    text = re.sub('<!DOCTYPE html>.*<div class="entry-content">', "", text, 0, re.DOTALL);
    text = re.sub('<div id="jp-post-flair" .*', "", text, 0, re.DOTALL);

#needed for last chapter
    text = re.sub('<!DOCTYPE html .*<div class="entry clear">', "", text, 0, re.DOTALL);
    text = re.sub('<div id="footer">.*', "", text, 0, re.DOTALL);

#remove Last/Next chapter
    text = re.sub("""<a (title="(Last Chapter|Next Chapter|End)" )?href="([^<>]*)"> ?(Last Chapter|Next Chapter|End)</a>""", "", text)

try:
        title = re.search("""<h1 class="entry-title">([^<>]*)</h1>""", html).group(1)
    except:
        title = re.search("""<h1>([^<>]*)</h1>""", html).group(1)
    title = re.sub("&nbsp;", " ", title).strip()
    print(title)

filename = re.sub("Â", "", title)
    #filename = filename.lower()
    #filename = re.sub("[^a-z0-9()#.½ ]", "-", filename)
    filename = filename + ".html"
    print(filename)

path = os.path.join(output, filename)
    open(path, "w").write("""<html><body><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />%s</body></html>""" % text)
    toc.append("<a href=\"%s\">%s</a><br/>" % (filename, title))

if "the-end" in nextURL:
        break
    urlGrouping = re.search("""<a (title="Next Chapter" )?href="([^<>]*)"> ?(Next Chapter|End|<strong>Next Chapter)(</a>|</strong>)""", html)
    if urlGrouping is None:
        break
    nextURL = urlGrouping.group(2)

toc = "\n            ".join(toc)
open(os.path.join(output, "toc.html"), 'w').write("""
<html>
    <body>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
        <meta protect="stairs" />
        <h1>Table of Contents</h1>
        <p style="text-indent:0pt">
            %s
        </p>
    </body>
</html>""" % toc)

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

Not sure who this is - something involving Rose maybe, given the girl getting shackled?

It's probably Mara.

Damages 2.1 posted:

A middle-aged aboriginal woman sat alone, and nobody sat near her. Mara Angnakak. She straddled the line between practitioner and Other. When Jacob’s Bell was first settled by colonists, she was already here. The notes had marked that she was very reserved, but she harbored a horrendous amount of hatred for the rest of us.

She never really did much, I think her only appearance was during the town meeting early in Damages. Oddly enough, she's not one of the two (the Briar Girl and a Behaim boy) who voted to execute Maggie. Maybe she has a soft spot?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mara might hate everybody else but she's on of the smaller fish too. She can't afford to give the Behaims and Duchamps any more of an advantage than they already have. It's clear enough that they're trying to weed out any possible competition. She'd be, if not next, still rather close behind.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Mara appears to be a Canadian Native (aboriginal? Not sure about the terminology) lets not forget Conquests favored appearance involving a pair of shackled natives.

Plus she is really really loving old and all of Jacobs bell is more than a bit scared of her. I dont think she's a small fish, just less involved in thae day to day stuff.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 5, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think she's as big as the Behaims or the Duchamps or Johannes though.

I was going to say "even Johannes" but I'm not so sure Johannes is actually weaker than the two families. Certainly has a more limited scope just insofar as being one person, but weaker? That's an open question.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am pretty sure Johannes is actually stronger than the two families but they don't want to really acknowledge it. Laird, in the beginning, at least implied that he thought Johannes was going to burn himself out and that he had no real plans involving him. The Thorburns are the threat he seems to think.

I personally have him pegged as the next major villain, maybe even the major villain. He's linked to the whole vestige idea, he was the last one seen in the vision at the beginning, the only one to directly address Blake during it, and he seems to be quite brilliant. Lots of power really fast, finding a way to break or work around the restrictions that make new practitioners so weak.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think Johannes will be a villian, at least not for long. Something tells me he'll be Pact's Armsmaster.

On that note, I just remembered how awesome Armsmaster is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Read through Worm over the past few weeks, finished Saturday night. I've digested the book a bit, and have some thoughts:

Wildbow is great at a lot of things. The way he wrote powers, varied them, and made just about every power unique and useful was great. Skitter's power alone is a great example of this -- it went from sounding like the lamest possible power to something truly useful and wonderful. I also liked pretty much all of the characters - none of them felt repetitive, and very few bored me. I got a fairly decent sense of voice from all of the characters too. The world was also an interesting one, and he was good at keeping me guessing about things with hints.

The world was awesome. I loved the way we got introduced to it. The Endbringers and Slaughterhouse Nine were great at giving a feeling of being able to end the world. I loved both of them.

The Web serial format was interesting. I read it all at once (instead of waiting week to week) so it was roughly a giant book. There were great, clearly defined arcs throughout them that could be split into large novels. But the format also let him begin to merge the stories a bit -- for example, you had the Slaughterhouse Nine beginning to come into the picture during the first arc.

All of that said, I feel like there was a MASSIVE downturn right around the time Taylor joined the Wards. Just about every bit of it felt like a disappointment, from the massive devaluation of the Slaughterhouse Nine to mere canon fodder all the way to Taylor's powers changing and the epilogue. I don't think there was a single aspect of that done well. I especially hated the Endbringers at that point -- we went from the Endbringers being a mysterious, unknowable threat to "Eidolon's powers created them so he could have something to fight, and they joined the good guys because reasons."

That said, I am looking forward to reading Pact, and hopefully the ending ends up being a bit more managable.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

All of that said, I feel like there was a MASSIVE downturn right around the time Taylor joined the Wards. Just about every bit of it felt like a disappointment, from the massive devaluation of the Slaughterhouse Nine to mere canon fodder all the way to Taylor's powers changing and the epilogue. I don't think there was a single aspect of that done well. I especially hated the Endbringers at that point -- we went from the Endbringers being a mysterious, unknowable threat to "Eidolon's powers created them so he could have something to fight, and they joined the good guys because reasons."

My problem was the time skip. I hate time skips unless there's a genuine lull in things, which never happens in the Worm universe.

As far as S9 getting downgraded to cannon fodder though, you have to remember the lynchpin that kept S9 running so well (and surviving) was the leader. Cannon fodder was exactly what he wanted the excess members to be. Also, they weren't real S9. Remember the recruiting process that S9 used when they had the time to do it right. The core members were always badass.

The Endbringers were rudderless without Eidolon. They literally needed 'reasons' at that point.

Taylor's evolution was the result of them being so desperate they were grabbing at any straws they had. I liked seeing what happens when someone gets a 'too scary to live' power and the end result of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The time skip is spectacularly bad. It covers a period of time that's literally four times as long as she spent with the Undersiders, and... pretty much nothing changes. I really can't think of anything that actually required a year and a half jump, instead of maybe just skipping a month or so. So it's not just bad, it's also weirdly unnecessary.

I don't think anyone's brought up my biggest criticism of Worm, though, and that's that a lot (most of, really) the major conflicts are ended via deus ex machina, or at least some factor outside of Taylor's control. The first Lung fight? Ends when Armsmaster and the Undersiders show up to bail Taylor's rear end out. The Endbringer fights? What is almost literally God drops out of the sky to win instantly and easily, both times. Glory Girl? Is brought down by Tattletale pulling her weakness completely out of her rear end. Tattletale is actually the biggest offender here, because her power pretty much ends up being that she has whatever information the author wants her to have, which seems to pretty much be used as a magic wand to resolve conflicts.

Wildbow is almost unarguably good at writing really tense conflicts that feel chaotic and messy and hopeless, but then he seems to actually have no idea how to pull his characters out of those conflicts.

Like, take the aftermath of the Leviathan fight. Skitter is being held by two of the biggest superheroes in the world, they're putting pressure on her, and there's not a clear way out. So how is it resolved?

Well, Lisa skips up, use information she acquired via authorial fiat, and the conflict instantly ends. Armsmaster gets his and Taylor goes free. She's outed as a traitor, but it doesn't really change the story that much, because she is immediately allowed to rejoin the Undersiders.

It's super-frustrating, beyond the usual problems with that sort of thing, because Worm tries to present Taylor as some sort of self-made badass, who rises to the top despite the entire universe being aligned against her, but when you actually look at what she does, it seems like she mostly just manages to survive and win because of dumb luck.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Wildbow is great at a lot of things. The way he wrote powers, varied them, and made just about every power unique and useful was great. Skitter's power alone is a great example of this -- it went from sounding like the lamest possible power to something truly useful and wonderful.

Well, towards the start. Skitter's power pretty much turns into "bug magic" as time rolls on. She eventually gains the ability to pull arbitrary amounts of spider silk out of a hat and becomes pretty much omniscient within her radius, which sort of makes the story less enjoyable for me.

Also while Wildbow is good at coming up with interesting powers and ways to use them, it sometimes hits the Sandersonian problem of making it read like an RPG manual. There are points where the story pretty much just halts to explain someone's power to the reader, and it's always really drat awkward.

• Locked thread