Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Time for Stand stats and powers.

Similarly, here are the general stand rules, that were pointed out in the manga (note that this is not a spoiler since Araki tends to not give a crap about his own rules, so these are just some guidelines).

General Stand Rules

-A person can only have one Stand

-As a Stand is part of the user, damage is reflected between the two. In most circumstances, if the Stand's leg is sliced off, the user will lose their leg as well.

-Stands can only be seen by Stand users.

-The further the Stand is from its user, the weaker the Stand becomes, with most only being capable of acting within three meters. An exception is Hierophant Green

-Stands are usually bound to the user's body.

-Most Stands have no personal goals, serving their master without question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Star Platinum is a really powerful stand by Part 3 standards. The high Development Potential arguably makes up for its general basic-ness. The only real drawback is the range, but traveling with Kakyoin covers for this weakness pretty well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Star Finger: Star Platinum can suddenly and forcefully extend his middle and index fingers to a length of one or two metres, in order for example to stab a faraway opponent

Has Star Platinum used this yet? I don't recall him doing that.

And I'm surprised to see that Star Platinum having A in everything but Range means that he still has exploitable weaknesses.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Not really a spoiler but:
In fact, those stats don't give him that much advantage against the way many stands have special abilities

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

trucutru posted:

Yeah, stardust crusaders is a hugely influential work that pretty much created a new type of battle manga. Before you usually had kung-fu dudes or the like training so hard they somehow learned to fly and throw energy bolts. Well, that or mystical magical stuff. In Jojo you have semi-proxy (because the user is usually right there and specially vulnerable) battles between stands which started with "regular" powers like fireballs or being real fast, and then evolved into completely bizarre stuff, so the battles become more of a puzzle about how to beat a guy who has a stand with some weird power that you have to discover & understand before it kills you.

I think its just the writing in general as Stardust Crusaders isn't exactly novel in that regard having watched the previous two anime arcs as a lot of the battles even then relied on heavy tactical elements.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MadScientistWorking posted:

I think its just the writing in general as Stardust Crusaders isn't exactly novel in that regard having watched the previous two anime arcs as a lot of the battles even then relied on heavy tactical elements.

Yeah, even arcs 1 and 2 of Jojo aren't really DBZ-esque in any respect beyond "Martial Arts Magic". Look at Jonathan's two main fights with Dio; the first one he didn't have any powers whatsoever and had to find a way to kill a crazy rear end vampire, and the second one he had to figure out how to overcome Dio's freezing fingers which might as well have been a stand power. I'd say Battle Tendency was where the "winning a fight is like a puzzle" thing truly solidified for Jojo. Joseph was basically always outmatched at every turn and only ever won his fights by outsmarting his opponents and playing on their weaknesses and foibles. At no point did he simply overpower his opponent like Goku or anything.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I personally find this approach to fighting a lot more engaging. Even as a child, it was frustrating watching character after character in battle animes get sidelined just because they didn't have enough raw "power." Krillin deserved better, dammit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

I personally find this approach to fighting a lot more engaging. Even as a child, it was frustrating watching character after character in battle animes get sidelined just because they didn't have enough raw "power." Krillin deserved better, dammit.

Look at it from this perspective: While Krillin got the rear end-end of the trade most of the time, Mayumi Tanaka went on to become the voice for the future Pirate King. That's a pretty sweet deal.

In Jojo-related hijinks: There's a dude / dudette goon that works as an animator, right?

I was watching the 1st episode again and it hit me that when Holly and the 2 cops enter the prison section, the style of that entire sequence up until Holly starts running on her own gives the vibe of a “oner”. I was wondering just what type of effort goes into giving that amount of detail to a scene.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I believe it's Spacedad?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

Look at it from this perspective: While Krillin got the rear end-end of the trade most of the time, Mayumi Tanaka went on to become the voice for the future Pirate King. That's a pretty sweet deal.

And Sonny Strait went on to voice the ACTUAL Pirate King Totally Not Lying.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Part III is kinda like the x-men comics, revolutionary even if all elements were present before. The x-men comics fixed the need to have an origin story for the wacky super-powers and, similarly, stardust crusaders adds a mechanism to have all kinds of crazy things happening without hurting the material.

Compare Naruto (an old school-style battle manga) with bleach or HxH. Everybody bitches about the Uchiha eye-haxes because, quite frankly, the author just pulls things out of his rear end. But bleach has stands (bound to swords, not people) and nobody cares about some of the more outrageous powers that are also pulled out of thin air (caring about Kubo being a hack is different) because that's how zanpakutos work.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

It's alright, Krillin got the robot babe as consolation

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

trucutru posted:

Part III is kinda like the x-men comics, revolutionary even if all elements were present before. The x-men comics fixed the need to have an origin story for the wacky super-powers and, similarly, stardust crusaders adds a mechanism to have all kinds of crazy things happening without hurting the material.

Compare Naruto (an old school-style battle manga) with bleach or HxH. Everybody bitches about the Uchiha eye-haxes because, quite frankly, the author just pulls things out of his rear end. But bleach has stands (bound to swords, not people) and nobody cares about some of the more outrageous powers that are also pulled out of thin air (caring about Kubo being a hack is different) because that's how zanpakutos work.

There was that one "Fullbring" arc in Bleach a while back, and I remember being super interested in it specifically cause it seemed like it was going to a more "stand" type thing with human characters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't know if Jojo would be improved or worsened by all stands coming from items with hilariously tragic/pointless backstories.

Jotaro loved his hat so much that it became a muscleman.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stat Explanation
Star Platinum
Tower of Gray
Magician's Red
Hierophant Green
Silver Chariot
Dark Blue Moon
Strength
Ebony Devil
Yellow Temperance
Emperor
Hanged Man
Empress

Today we have Joseph Joestar's Hermit Purple (I will be leaving a few things this stand can do out as I want them to be a surprise)

Stats

Destructive Power: Rank D
Speed: Rank C
Range: Rank D
Durability: Rank A
Precision: Rank D
Developmental Potential: E

Abilities

Vines: Joseph demonstrated that he can use the vines as a means of transporting himself between buildings, like a grappling hook or whip. This is used most as a way of keeping Joseph safe from dangerous situations, quickly pulling himself out of the way. It can also be used as rope for binding objects then moving them with the vines.

Psychic: Apart from combat purposes, this versatile Stand can perform remarkable feats. It can produce psychic photographs by destroying a camera or another object. The photo will reveal the intended target as it is in that moment of time to show were the person is located. It also can produce live psychic videos on a television that will show the intended person and allows communication as well. The Stand can make the TV quickly change channels in a way to create an audible message of what Joseph wants to know. Hermit Purple also allows its user to read minds, but only with the use of a TV. It can also conjure real-time maps capable of tracking moving subjects.

Ripple Transmission: Joseph has shown the ability to transmit the ripple through Hermit Purple as an extension of his body.

Pros and Cons

Pros
Very versatile.
Psychic powers allow him to track or learn things quickly.
Vines are near unbreakable making it hard to damage Joseph through hitting them
The power to transmute the ripple through them makes him even more versatile.

Cons
Stand can't protect user as easily as a humanoid one.
Vines can only go about 10 meters away from Joseph and can't affect things from there.
Lacks strength and is only about human speed.
Are always connected to his hand combined with the fact that it is glowing makes it harder to preform subtle rope tricks on stand users.

Next time Muhammad Avdol and Magicians Red

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You could just assume people have already read the beginning part since this is your third post?

And just press the # button right next to the ? at the bottom left of each post.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BlitzBlast posted:

You could just assume people have already read the beginning part since this is your third post?

And just press the # button right next to the ? at the bottom left of each post.

Thank you. I think I will be redoing Gray Fly as well by adding in the pros and cons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Joseph predicting his opponents in Battle Tendency was a result of a still dormant Hermit Purple somehow.

Similarly, I do believe Jotaro said that he was violent even before Star Platinum formed.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I feel like these "stand summaries" MonsterEnvy is posting should all be under spoiler text, because it's way too easy to infer things about the future from them. I mean, "developmental potential" may as well be "does this character get a powerup at some point in the series". Exact clarification of their abilities also spoils things.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Chicken or egg argument there. Did the personality effect the kind of stands that would manifest when they did, or did the dormant stand influence the personality?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I think about it did they ever explain how star platinum was stealing poo poo when Jotaro was in jail? He made a point specifically saying the stand did it but there's no way a jail would have all that poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's an inconsistency.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I feel like these "stand summaries" MonsterEnvy is posting should all be under spoiler text, because it's way too easy to infer things about the future from them. I mean, "developmental potential" may as well be "does this character get a powerup at some point in the series". Exact clarification of their abilities also spoils things.

The episodes themselves have been showing pictures of the stands' stats, though.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Shakugan posted:

The developmental potential doesn't really spoil much considering that Stand fights aren't usually straightforward power battles anyway, but rather about creative use of one's powers, so "powerups" are pretty meaningless. You are right about the ability descriptions though, I'm pretty sure all of them aren't brought up in the anime's stat screens so they should be spoilered, if they're posted at all.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sekkira posted:

Chicken or egg argument there. Did the personality effect the kind of stands that would manifest when they did, or did the dormant stand influence the personality?

It's less of one influencing the other and more of them being the same thing. Stands aren't created from your personality, they are a direct manifestation of you personality. This is more evident with some people like Joseph or Jotaro than others like Avdol, there's not a lot of personality in a fire bird.

Of course there's plenty of stands that are just cool and don't seem to have much to do with the user's personality.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh, Magician's Red fits Avdol quite well actually, I won't say how, but that huge flaming bird is very befitting of him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ohhhh I just figured that out, how did I not realize that sooner? :aaa:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure everyone in Jojo is a huge flaming something.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shakugan posted:

These were in the comic at the beginning of each chapter and you see them in the eye catches as well.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Considering that the stats are practically meaningless when it comes to actual battles, they're hardly spoilers.

Reminder: This is a series where a kid from New York used string and small iron balls to finish off an entire race of ancient demigods.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Reminder: This is a series where a kid from New York used string and small iron balls to finish off an entire race of ancient demigods.

Joseph's from Britain :colbert:

I do think that listing off abilities that stands have that haven't actually shown up yet or been mentioned at all is a bad thing to do but ehhh that's not my place to decide. I figure leave it to Zorak or whatever.

By the way what was with this thread getting stickied a day or 2 ago, was something happening with the show or was it just an error or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Uh, Magician's Red fits Avdol quite well actually, I won't say how, but that huge flaming bird is very befitting of him.

Is it because he chickened out when he met Dio? :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zorak's trying out the TVIV habit of stickying the thread for a show on the day it airs.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

FirstAidKite posted:

I do think that listing off abilities that stands have that haven't actually shown up yet or been mentioned at all is a bad thing to do but ehhh that's not my place to decide.

I got probated for speculating about future parts based on the beginning of this part. Soooo where are the torrent of probations?

On another note, I'd really like to see Jojonium released in English. I'd buy the poo poo out of those volumes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

By the way what was with this thread getting stickied a day or 2 ago, was something happening with the show or was it just an error or something?

Why wouldn't this thread be stickied?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Zorak's trying out the TVIV habit of stickying the thread for a show on the day it airs.

That's why I was confused. It airs on Friday but the thread was stickied like earlier this week so I was confused about if there was something jojo related happening that I wasn't aware of or what. Glad that that's not the case! :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If a Stand has not shown up yet I won't be posting about it. Also I highly doubt anything I posted about Gray Fly is a spoiler. (He is very dead.) I covered part of Joseph's power in spoiler text as well.

Don't worry I don't intend to spoil anything. After I finish all the stands that have shown up I will be doing them by the Week.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

you could, you know, just not read them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MonsterEnvy posted:

If a Stand has not shown up yet I won't be posting about it. Also I highly doubt anything I posted about Gray Fly is a spoiler. (He is very dead.) I covered part of Joseph's power in spoiler text as well.

Don't worry I don't intend to spoil anything. After I finish all the stands that have shown up I will be doing them by the Week.

Not to be anal about this but you listed the Star Finger power which hasn't been shown yet.

I'm fine with them, though, good job.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Hearing that Goku has a power level of "over 9000" isn't a spoiler, because you don't even know the context of it and it's just an ultimately meaningless stat that doesn't matter a whole lot. Why would hearing something like "This stand has a C rank in speed" be any different here?

Likewise, someone saying "Goku's power level is over 9000, and because of that he's able to defeat Vegeta" would be an actual spoiler. If the post was all "This stand has a C rank in speed and because of that so and so is defeated by this guy because he's too slow", then that would indeed be a spoiler. Hypothetically of course, I just made that example up on the spot so no worries about spoilers there!

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread