Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

A Winner is Jew posted:

That wide partisan divide is not too surprising in light of other polls conducted this past year, which also suggested that Democrats and Republican have increasingly separate realities about race.
--------------------------
When the Thought Police can take away your property then the 1st Amendment no longer exists. If the NBA didn't put in a provision for this type of forced sale, than I cannot see how it's legal to take it away because the guy's a racist.

But the NBA does have a provision for that in its Constitution and Bylaws????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

zoux posted:

Remember all the thinkpieces in 08 about "Is America ready for a black president". Well guess what.

Depends on who you ask! The supreme court says that racism doesn't exist anymore, so they obviously think America was ready!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cimber posted:

exactly. Remember the ground zero mosque kerfluffle from the 2010 cycle?

On that note, guess what has popped up in the news cycle again?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/nyregion/developer-scales-back-plans-for-muslim-center-near-ground-zero.html?referrer=

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

awjeeze.jpg

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

Remember all the thinkpieces in 08 about "Is America ready for a black president". Well guess what.
I'd say that at least 53% of the country was. :getin:

But more seriously, conservatives already have the balance of power in most other fields, despite poor numbers in practice; there seems no reason to assume axiomatically they're speaking "for America" or "for the real America," because then you're just agreeing with them.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know the standard rule is to never read the comments but seriously, read the comments.

Maybe someone, some hero will come along and unskew them.

Obama is the real racist.

:tinfoil:

Oh, and this Onion article.

I interpreted the comment about the presidency promoting racism differently from you. I saw it as pointing out that others were using the Obama presidency to drive racism to the fore, not that the White House itself was doing so. Maybe I'm being naive.

By the way, the whole sordid Sterling affair is yet another example of people's first amendment rights being trampled on by the free market (i.e. consumers, employees, and sponsors)... which doesn't need to adhere to the first amendment anyway. Between the Eich incident and this one, it's quite telling.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mons Hubris posted:

But the NBA does have a provision for that in its Constitution and Bylaws????

Paragraph 13 of the NBA's rules explicitly states that NBA owners have the right, by three-fourths vote, to revoke ownership if an owner “fails to fulfill” a “contractual obligation” in “such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely.”

So if 23 of the 30 owners want him gone they can force it, and last count I know there were confirmed 22 owners in favor or removing him with only 2 against. The only questions is if their vote for removal is legal, but given that in the same rules racial or prejudiced statements are punishable by huge fines that have already been levied against him it's not exactly an uphill battle to make.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

Paragraph 13 of the NBA's rules explicitly states that NBA owners have the right, by three-fourths vote, to revoke ownership if an owner “fails to fulfill” a “contractual obligation” in “such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely.”

So if 23 of the 30 owners want him gone they can force it, and last count I know there were confirmed 22 owners in favor or removing him with only 2 against. The only questions is if their vote for removal is legal, but given that in the same rules racial or prejudiced statements are punishable by huge fines that have already been levied against him it's not exactly an uphill battle to make.

I wonder how many of those 22 confirmed owners care about the statements due to serious moral issue with racism in America today.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also don't forget that as soon as his racist remarks came out, a ton of sponsors immediately pulled out or suspended their relationships with the Clips. Thanks to basketball revenue sharing, that's money directly out of the pockets of the other owners, and clearly adversely affects them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The best part of this is all the crazy Donald Sterling stories people have been sitting on for years.

quote:

Shortly after the Clippers made Danny Manning the top pick of the 1988 NBA draft, team owner Donald Sterling invited the player and his agent, Ron Grinker, to talk contract in Beverly Hills. It was recounted to me how Sterling lounged around his mansion in a bathrobe open to his navel, wearing nothing underneath.
At one point Sterling's preteen son wandered in and was chastised for skipping Hebrew school. The owner commanded the boy, "Go to your room and get undressed." The child slouched upstairs. Sterling followed. The next thing Manning heard was a belt thrashing and the boy wailing, as Grinker bounded up the stairs yelling, "Stop! Stop! We'll sign."
:wtc:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cimber posted:

I wonder how many of those 22 confirmed owners care about the statements due to serious moral issue with racism in America today.

I don't know if it matters. Even just having 23 insanely rich people vote to kick out another rich guy because his values harm them is a dual admittance that a) racism is a big deal to them and b) they're confident they won't do anything bad enough to have another group of 23 kick them out.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Talmonis posted:

Jesus man, the rest of those graphs. Up to and including "dissaprove of interracial dating" being higher than in the 80's. What the hell's going on around here?

That graph is weird and they should have explained it better. It's measuring the correlation between being a Republican and opposing interracial marriage. Opposition could have fallen dramatically in both parties but if opposition among Democrats falls faster the graph will trend up.

I don't really remember much from statistics but I wouldn't even bet the growth in correlation is statistically significant. And it's surprisingly low to begin with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe this is old news, but looks like the Cliven Bundy situation is breaking down:

quote:

The armed anti-government play-warriors who built a military force around a racist redneck rancher in Nevada have split into rival factions and are now at the brink of civil war, calling each other crazies and traitors and spreading rumors that Eric Holder planned a drone strike on them.

. . .

[T]he irony and the insanity spiked last weekend when leaders of the most prominent militia group, the Oath Keepers, began complaining of armed madmen "in the camp running amok." They eventually pulled back from their positions, claiming they had received intelligence suggesting that the Obama administration's attack drones were incoming.

That "redeployment" pissed off other armed patriots who stayed behind in Nevada, who now call the Oath Keepers and their prominent leader, Stewart Rhodes, cowards and traitors who might actually be working for the U.S. government. "They committed a deliberate act of desertion," Blaine Cooper—a de facto leader of the remaining militiamen—said in his own video, embedded at the top of this post.

. . .

While trying to vet that "intel," several Oath Keepers attempted to offer an offsite hotel room to a woman who was staying in the Bundy camp with her two children. "She got angry and said that we weren't trusting God enough, and that's her mission to be there, God wanted her to be there," Rhodes says in his video. "And that's fine. But she started yelling and screaming."

That started a series of conflagrations between different militiamen that apparently frustrated Rhodes. In the video he complained of an "increasingly deteriorating situation" in the camps, due to "a bunch of hotheads" whom he thought weren't stable enough to carry out the armed struggle against the United States government in the Nevada desert. "We could see they were a ticking time bomb and they weren't under sufficient command and control," he said. "We wanted to pull out."

http://gawker.com/nevada-ranch-militias-turn-against-each-other-over-dron-1570140614

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe this is old news, but looks like the Cliven Bundy situation is breaking down:

http://gawker.com/nevada-ranch-militias-turn-against-each-other-over-dron-1570140614

So after they didn't get the fight with the evil feds they were looking for, they're instead fighting each other now?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cimber posted:

The speculation is the players threatened to strike in the middle of playoffs if they didn't strip him of the team.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
OK, outside of a pocket nuke turning them all into radioactive vapor (It's a joke, don't start on me), this was the next best solution: they'll just shoot each other and improve the gene pool with their departure.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So after they didn't get the fight with the evil feds they were looking for, they're instead fighting each other now?

If this comes out as Psi Ops from Holder it's going to be amazing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

They don't need the federal government to come in and start shooting. If things keep up like this they will do it themselves.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It has been mentioned here, but this is the first time I've seen the story with an intact video link so thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

OK, outside of a pocket nuke turning them all into radioactive vapor (It's a joke, don't start on me), this was the next best solution: they'll just shoot each other and improve the gene pool with their departure.

Unfortunately, one of the things the article makes clear is that there are kids in the camps.

It probably is heading towards a dominoes-fall type situation though; as soon as one guy shoots someone else things will get really messy really fast almost inevitably. It's a fascinating situation but I sure as hell am glad I'm not within 200 miles of it all.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

The speculation is the players threatened to strike in the middle of playoffs if they didn't strip him of the team.

Not speculation. It was confirmed by every member of the Warriors who the Clippers are currently playing against in the playoffs that they planned to go through warm-ups, the anthem, and then at tip-off just walk off court in protest if they weren't satisfied with how Silver reacted to the situation. It was rumored that every other team playing that night would do the same thing, but it's only been confirmed that one team would absolutely follow through with it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not speculation. It was confirmed by every member of the Warriors who the Clippers are currently playing against in the playoffs that they planned to go through warm-ups, the anthem, and then at tip-off just walk off court in protest if they weren't satisfied with how Silver reacted to the situation. It was rumored that every other team playing that night would do the same thing, but it's only been confirmed that one team would absolutely follow through with it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NPuK_QhEk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The best part of this is all the crazy Donald Sterling stories people have been sitting on for years.

:wtc:

Another job created :smug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Had this actually happened it would probably be the most iconic and talked about moment in sports in the last century.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CBS News posted:

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., is standing by remarks he made on a New Nation of Islam radio program where he alleged that criticism of President Obama is motivated by racism and called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom."

"Well if you look at his decisions on the court, they have been adverse to the minority community, and the people I represent have a real issue with an African-American not being sensible to those issues," Thompson, who is black, told CNN when asked to explain his comments.

While the term might be racially charged for some, for others, "It's the truth," he said.

When CNN reporter Dana Bash noted that the term wouldn't be appropriate if used by someone who is white, Thompson replied, "But I'm black."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rep-bennie-thompson-defends-calling-clarence-thomas-an-uncle-tom/#postComments

I guess this is trending because people are comparing it to Sterling, but he is making a rational point? I guess it's just more "NO. YOU are the REAL RACIST(s)" stuff since Clarence Thomas was chosen on merit, well according to the comments on that article anyway.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

In the video he complained of an "increasingly deteriorating situation" in the camps, due to "a bunch of hotheads" whom he thought weren't stable enough to carry out the armed struggle against the United States government

Other than wanting to avoid bloodshed is there a single sane reason that these idiots haven't been declared to be in rebellion against the government and removed?

Ideally to one of those FEMA camps they crow about.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I know Obamacare is the worst thing that's happened since the Holocaust (if that even happened :ssh:), but don't worry, I've got a solution.

http://www.healthcarecompact.org

Instead of the Federal government doing it, the states will just join in a compact to manage healthcare, with Congress' permission, of course. Congress will still give us that sweet sweet healthcare money too. Remember, healthcare is simply too large and complex to manage at the federal level, and states have generally shown that they're much better regulators than the federal government.

The Health Care Compact isn't about who or what is covered, just about who makes these decisions.

:realtalk:
A buddy of mine posted this on Facebook. I haven't the heart to give this the mocking that it truly deserves.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Other than wanting to avoid bloodshed is there a single sane reason that these idiots haven't been declared to be in rebellion against the government and removed?

Ideally to one of those FEMA camps they crow about.

The political backlash would be bad, especially given that we're heading into a rough midterm election as it is. They're playing this perfectly imo, especially if the 'Holder psyops' thing turns out to be true :laugh: Let these idiots stew in their own crazy until they can't take it any more and go home.

Also, I don't actually know that they've done anything illegal yet. I am not a lawyer though - I know we have several in the thread, would any of you guys care to weigh in? From what I've read, the idiot militia has just circlejerked about ARE RIGHTS and waved a bunch of guns around, and I don't believe either of those are illegal.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

fits my needs posted:

I guess this is trending because people are comparing it to Sterling, but he is making a rational point? I guess it's just more "NO. YOU are the REAL RACIST(s)" stuff since Clarence Thomas was chosen on merit, well according to the comments on that article anyway.

Yes, absolutely he's making a rational point. Thomas is black, but his decisions hurt black people disproportionately. Thompson's not wrong to say so, and the best part about being the only Democrat from MS (and in an overwhelmingly Republican state) he can give no fucks.

Magres posted:

The political backlash would be bad, especially given that we're heading into a rough midterm election as it is. They're playing this perfectly imo, especially if the 'Holder psyops' thing turns out to be true :laugh: Let these idiots stew in their own crazy until they can't take it any more and go home.

Also, I don't actually know that they've done anything illegal yet. I am not a lawyer though - I know we have several in the thread, would any of you guys care to weigh in? From what I've read, the idiot militia has just circlejerked about ARE RIGHTS and waved a bunch of guns around, and I don't believe either of those are illegal.

Threatening federal agents with violence and using women as human shields isn't illegal now?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
edit: doublepost

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Death by OK Corral is next in line after Death By Feds if you're a crazy asshat play-solider.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fried Chicken posted:

Senate republicans filibustered the minimum wage hike. Not surprising, but gives Dems something to campaign on

Don't forget to mention Enzi's rationale for it:

Mike Enzi posted:

Republican Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming said the minimum-wage jobs he held as young man -- a window washer and "stock boy" -- prepared him for eventually owning his own business.

"These are jobs where we learn to be dependable, to work with other employees and to learn that work ethic," Enzi said. Today's workers, he noted, often "don't know how to interrupt their texting to wait on a customer."

Yes, that is a fantastic reason to screw over about a tenth of the country.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

The Midniter posted:

Also don't forget that as soon as his racist remarks came out, a ton of sponsors immediately pulled out or suspended their relationships with the Clips. Thanks to basketball revenue sharing, that's money directly out of the pockets of the other owners, and clearly adversely affects them.

Plus, if he wants to protest, he will need to go through forced arbitration. I thought that's what people wanted right? Tort reform!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Threatening federal agents with violence and using women as human shields isn't illegal now?

I don't know, specifically, how the BLM releasing the cows played out so I didn't want to assume :shrug: I would think that there's a difference, legally, between 'we're going to shoot you if you keep taking those cows' and gathering up to rabblerouse about ARE RIGHTS and EVIL GUBMINT AGENTS.

Also, I don't think human shields is illegal if they're there of their own accord.

(In other news, I think I just earned my grammar guild journeyman status.)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Carrasco posted:

Now I'm kinda sad that Cheney dropped out. Not because she's better but because he might actually have to appeal to someone to get elected.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Magres posted:

Also, I don't think human shields is illegal if they're there of their own accord.

Wouldn't Child Protective Services be able to use this case as a clear and present danger posed by the mothers to their children? Putting kids in that situation screams "reckless endangerment" to me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Carrasco posted:

I'm phone posting right now, so I can't really say he is wrong.
Edit: well, I know I should stare mindlessly at the walls of my cubicle waiting as the overworked server crawls through processing my query, but I don't care.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Magres posted:

I don't know, specifically, how the BLM releasing the cows played out so I didn't want to assume :shrug: I would think that there's a difference, legally, between 'we're going to shoot you if you keep taking those cows' and gathering up to rabblerouse about ARE RIGHTS and EVIL GUBMINT AGENTS.

(In other news, I think I just earned my grammar guild journeyman status.)

They've set up armed checkpoints on public roads and are detaining and checking anyone who drives through. That illegal enough?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm phone posting right now, so I can't really say he is wrong.

We're still more productive than any prior generation, regardless of what we do with our downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Wouldn't Child Protective Services be able to use this case as a clear and present danger posed by the mothers to their children? Putting kids in that situation screams "reckless endangerment" to me.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is a line of attack Fox will use if this thing erupts into internal violence. OBAMA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ARE KIDS

mdemone posted:

They've set up armed checkpoints on public roads and are detaining and checking anyone who drives through. That illegal enough?

Pretty sure that hasn't been confirmed beyond the one letter. Like I'm actually super skeptical of that at this point specifically because it hasn't been confirmed outside of that, days later. Media folk would be all over that if it were happening.

Just to be clear in all this - I don't support these guys in any way, I just don't actually know for certain that they have directly done anything full on illegal, just really stupid and pigheaded. Like if they just rabbleroused and the BLM released the cows without threats being made, I don't think that's illegal, and it's not illegal for them to circlejerk on private property with their guns. I'd rather our government err on the side of caution, particularly given how situations like this have turned out before when we sent in an armed response team.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread