Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
MTMTE season 2 starts tomorrow and I'm still butthurt about Dai Atlas.

Man, bring on the misery! Til all are one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just read it, it's good. Oh man, it's goooooood.

gently caress Whirl.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there a recap of Dark Cybertron in it so I don't have to read that?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a recap of Dark Cybertron in it so I don't have to read that?

I've not seen one, so I'll try to sum it up.

The basic of it is that Shockwave somehow logics it out that if he wants to rule the universe the universe has to be destroyed and somehow he'll manage to recreate it as he sees fit. He uses the majority of the energon ores to power his doomsday device to connect to the dead universe and use it to destroy the real world, with Cybertron in the center.

Orion Pax and crew meets up with the Lost Light, and he, Rodimus, Cyclonus and maybe someone else decide to go to the Dead Universe, where they meet up with Nightbeat, Kup and Nova Prime, and as Orion kills Nova Prime he reclaims his Optimus Prime name. But they are stuck in the Dead Universe.

On Cybertron a titan named "Necrotitan" teleports to... Iacon? Can't remember, it's at least the only populated settlement, and starts wrecking it. The titan is dead but is fueled by one of the ores.

Lost Light locates Metroplex, find there Chromia, Nautica and Windblade and decide to head back to Cybertron, just in time for Metroplex and Necrotitan to duke it out. Metroplex is losing until Megatron teleports the thumb in Lost Light to Metroplex, which apparently contained a regenerative ore so Metroplex manages to hold the Necrotitan back further. Then the universe starts collapsing on itself, introducing massive amount of ammonites, as they all work for Shockwave and they try to stop the others from stopping Shockwave.

Starscream, Megatron, Bumblebee, Metalhawk, Brainstorm, Skids and some others go confront Shockwave. Scoop is killed in action. Jihaxus attacks Starscream but Starscreams wins, Metalhawk sacrifices himself to kill all the ammonites. And Brainstorm is somehow linked to the Dead Universe so Kup, Cyclonus, Optimus and Rodimus get out of the dead universe through Brainstorm. Kup and Cyclonus are dying so Brainstorm, Skids and Rodimus quickly get them to the Lost Light so they can save them.

The final confrontation has Shockwave killing Bumblebee. Megatron then dons on the autobot symbol and with a speech he scrambles Shockwave's logic. Shockwave somehow becomes himself before Shadowplay happened to him, regrets his actions and begs Optimus to kill him. Optimus and Megatron oblige him. However killing Shockwave causes a minor black hole that sucks up the body of Bumblebee and his half of the matrix, but Optimus and Megatron escape just in time.

Notable deaths, AKA those that I can recall: Shockwave, Bumblebee and Metalhawk.

I put way too much effort into this than anyone should when it comes to Dark Cybertron.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd be all over a Classics Sideways, he was one of my favorite Armada figures. Just give him as much articulation as his mini-con combiner partner had and he's be golden!

He was probably also the most interesting thing Armada introduced. Having a figure would mean he'd be in one of the two current comic series.

As an agent of Unicron who was attempting to make both sides balanced so the war would continue indefinitely, and as an obscure non-g1 character as Barber seems more fond of introducing, he'd probably fit well in where RID was before whatever the hell their doing on Earth now as a mysterious rabble-rouser trying to start the war up again.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

What about MP Soundwave?

EDIT: Guess I should refresh the thread once in a while.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veg posted:

MTMTE season 2 starts tomorrow and I'm still butthurt about Dai Atlas.

Man, bring on the misery! Til all are one!

Oh, poo poo, don't open the coffin!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That one thing at the end of Dark Cybertron was very Slaughterhouse 5.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Iced Cocoa posted:

I put way too much effort into this than anyone should when it comes to Dark Cybertron.

I don't know, maybe I have lower standards than some people but I thought it was good. Not the best thing ever, but it was still far better than any previous IDW Transformer event pre-Death-of-Optimus. Optimus had some character development, the new ladybots were introduced, there's some really fun character moments, the Dead Universe and Nova Prime are a black hole and probably never coming back, a couple cool transformers relegated to the dead universe are now not dead anymore, and the deaths and fighting were handled well and had lots of great moments.

I was far more disappointed in the new RID issue than anything in RID. People complained about RID nonstop but at least it had robots hanging around and interacting in non-fighting ways on Cybertron. Yeah Windblade's comic is doing that now but it's only four issues and then what? Are they going to make a third ongoing?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
At least Getaway and Cosmos are fine for the moment being. RIP Pipes and Outback.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rita Repulsa posted:

Are they going to make a third ongoing?
If Windblade sells enough that is the plan, yeah.

Dark Cybertron was about 3 issues too long and spent a bit too long on some stuff. It is also based on a bunch of lovely retcons of Furman's work that wasn't even Furman's good work so there's that too.

The ending was good though, and surprisingly much more satisfying than the usual big 2 cross over thing that it was aping.

re: MTMTE, I liked it, but it feels like it is getting more and more "trade" style. Hard to recommend this as an issue by issue product now.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Where the gently caress is Rodimus?

God damnit, another month of waiting. Besides that, stunning issue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veg posted:

I imagine the answer to this and the answer to "How in the crap did Megatron go from being on trial to gallivanting around the small-C cosmos" are closely linked.

e: Also Nautica is officially not a truck with a punny name. I'm a bit sad.

ee: I haven't noticed before but is Brainstorm given to gesticulating wildly? He's talking to Nautica and the Briefcase is just flopping everywhere like a morningstar full of devils

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 30, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

e: Also Nautica is officially not a truck with a punny name. I'm a bit sad.
Me too, me too.

Brainstorm might get excited around Nautica. Brainstorm does seem like an excited chap though.

I really liked Chromia's expressions at the interview, and the bust in was great. This is a great issue to enjoy page by page, I just wish it didn't feel like two halves of two different stories.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Heads up, there is already a preview for MTMTE 29 and the new colorist, as good as she may be on other books, looks to have put no effort in to keeping the books style. It actually looks really boring. I loved the pastel look.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Veg posted:

During the Dark Cybertron story, Rodimus mentioned to Optimus that he set up a vote soon after the Tyrest situation which asked whether Rodimus stays as captain of the Lost Light or not. Rodimus won the vote, but not by much. This angered Optimus, who said that Rodimus should have stepped down. Needless to say from the fallout of DC and Megatron's trial, that Optimus made sure that Rodimus didn't captain the Lost Light.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
I must be posting from the grave because I'm pretty sure the Mtmte #29 preview killed me from Tailgate being so cute ambushing Cyclonus like that. :3:

Re: Colorist...I can't decide from just the preview. It just has kind of a light and almost generic feel to me at the moment. Probably better to step in now than have an abrupt change mid season I think though.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rewinds message is missing the 'no more injecting' part.

I dont know what to make of this, what with Megatrons editing speech.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Just read it, it's good. Oh man, it's goooooood.

gently caress Whirl.

He's pretty clearly working for somebody. I can't (Prowl) imagine who (Prowl) would want Megatron dead without the hassle of a trial (Prowl).

I really wonder how Whirl feels about the whole situation. He couldn't have known that beating up Megaton would've inspired him to build up an army to take Cybertron by force.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its not just that, its missing that whole chunk about how hes not the person he used to be and that he deserves to be happy. It could just be how the scenes jumping back and forth but its still worrisome.:ohdear:

Its a completely dumb idea but a small part of me is expecting one of them to be slapped by whirls arm appearing out of the ether, and that's why the end of the recording is someone shouting argh now.

Glad to see Cyclonus is still knocking about, that cover from a while back had me worried he was off the cast. Next issues preview is 100% adorable.

Also holy poo poo Rung looks weary, is that the first time we've seen him without his glasses on? Honestly thought they were his eyes.

Artum fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 1, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It seems to be a thing post-death-of-optimus that Transformers use a lot of seemingly primitive forms of technology. RID shows Transformers playing in a band rather than just playing a sound file and a robot that turned into a projector, Rung wears glasses instead of replacing optics, Whirl used to be a watchmaker so it's either an artform or some robots don't have internal clocks, Crosscut writes plays so theater is still a thing and they don't just uses a holodeck or something, robot who build or act as medics have to have talented, dexterous hands instead of just using a bunch of tools...

They're walking machines and yet they're less tech-reliant than people in Star Trek/Wars

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I should also add I was indecently excited to see ***Ravage*** managed to sneak onboard. It does actually feel like something they would do under the circumstances.

Also, Nautica owns, why isn't there a toy of her yet? How about now?

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

Artum posted:

Also holy poo poo Rung looks weary, is that the first time we've seen him without his glasses on? Honestly thought they were his eyes.

The most terrifying plot twist in my opinion.

Though it's kind of weird to think robots would need glasses in general since they replace stuff all the time. But maybe Rung's can shoot laser beams or something. Or taking them off for dramatic effect helps get people to open up to him.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rita Repulsa posted:

It seems to be a thing post-death-of-optimus that Transformers use a lot of seemingly primitive forms of technology. RID shows Transformers playing in a band rather than just playing a sound file and a robot that turned into a projector, Rung wears glasses instead of replacing optics, Whirl used to be a watchmaker so it's either an artform or some robots don't have internal clocks, Crosscut writes plays so theater is still a thing and they don't just uses a holodeck or something, robot who build or act as medics have to have talented, dexterous hands instead of just using a bunch of tools...

They're walking machines and yet they're less tech-reliant than people in Star Trek/Wars

I think you have a great point but on the other hand if they were "realistically" portrayed as (functionally) immortal shape-changing sexless supermachines, it would make them completely unrelatable. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a one-off story along those lines, but if they tried to interact with humans it would turn into hundreds of Stranger in a Strange Land-esque pages of "these are our concepts" "oh ok these are our concepts" "I don't get it" etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chu Chu posted:

Though it's kind of weird to think robots would need glasses in general since they replace stuff all the time. But maybe Rung's can shoot laser beams or something. Or taking them off for dramatic effect helps get people to open up to him.

Astrotrain had a small character beat in Dark Cybertron. He's nearsighted, needs binoculars to see far distances that other Decepticons can make out unaided. But he never told anyone because what if Megatron found out.

I think I mentioned it before but with Whirl, I'm willing to bet that there are people (Transformer people) who have an appreciation for intricate devices that are completely mechanical. Y'know, "You mean it keeps even somewhat accurate time and all it is is gears and springs and jewels? That is so cool. Aggressive helicopter man, I will give you a box of money if you make one for me."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
MTMTE 28: I just noticed that Rung mentions that he got his first edition copy of Towards Peace from a fellow bibliophile who he refers to as "she" ... immediately before his musings on revisionism :v:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Chu Chu posted:

Rung's whole head got replaced after Swerve shot it off. Seems like a real dick move to not fix his eyes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Rita Repulsa posted:

I rather like the aspect of them being mechanical people rather than robots as we'd think of them, they don't have hard drives(except rewind) they have brains with memories, they cant wi-fi mindspeak to each other they need to talk over a radio mounted on their arm, they don't have internal clocks they have time pieces etc etc.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think you have a great point but on the other hand if they were "realistically" portrayed as (functionally) immortal shape-changing sexless supermachines, it would make them completely unrelatable. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a one-off story along those lines, but if they tried to interact with humans it would turn into hundreds of Stranger in a Strange Land-esque pages of "these are our concepts" "oh ok these are our concepts" "I don't get it" etc.

The only time the transformers were really portrayed as alien robots and not humans who happened to be alien robots were the early issues of the marvel comic by Bob Budiansky. These... weren't very good. Pretty much everybody else realized this made them impossible to relate to and just wrote them like they were people.

Some might argue that it may be a little lazy that Transformers are basically just giant metal humans who turn into cars, but I think the franchise owes a great deal of its success to this. If the Transformers were all like "beep boop I AM A ROBOT" instead of acting like over the top cartoon characters I dunno if Transformers would still be around. It certainly wouldn't be the enormously popular juggernaut it is today.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Not feeling this one Mech Ideas ...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The only time the transformers were really portrayed as alien robots and not humans who happened to be alien robots were the early issues of the marvel comic by Bob Budiansky. These... weren't very good. Pretty much everybody else realized this made them impossible to relate to and just wrote them like they were people.

Some might argue that it may be a little lazy that Transformers are basically just giant metal humans who turn into cars, but I think the franchise owes a great deal of its success to this. If the Transformers were all like "beep boop I AM A ROBOT" instead of acting like over the top cartoon characters I dunno if Transformers would still be around. It certainly wouldn't be the enormously popular juggernaut it is today.

I agree with every single bit of this post. I would also say I think Transformers characterization owes a lot to the popularity of the X-men at the time. For better (Roberts) or for worse (Budiansky), Marvel's work in assigning them all broad (often stereotypical) personalities reminds me a lot of the way the X-men were portrayed at that time. Also, only Marvel could decide that alien transforming robots were too tame, and assign them all superpowers as well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

therealjon_ posted:

Not feeling this one Mech Ideas ...

Make Wario and Waluigi Transformers, then we'll talk.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
IDW has been pretty good at making Cybertronians alien enough to be interesting yet human enough to be relatable, something that Animated was also pretty good at

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Artum posted:

I rather like the aspect of them being mechanical people rather than robots as we'd think of them, they don't have hard drives(except rewind) they have brains with memories, they cant wi-fi mindspeak to each other they need to talk over a radio mounted on their arm, they don't have internal clocks they have time pieces etc etc.
Actually, they do all those things - There is an internal communication band and there are hard drives, both of them referenced within recent post-death canon, and Tailgate's internal chronometer was mentioned right in #1.

But all of these things are something they choose to use, or not use, in different situations, which gives the impression of little slices of what was once a huge vibrant culture reduced down to 10,000 individuals. That probably isn't authorial intent but man does it ever work for me.

We'd probably be pretty leary if our wireless phones were made of meat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Even though their brains are digital, there's still a certain quality to "live" or analog experiences. It's also not easy to have everything built in rather than just using your hands. Do you want to have somebody ripping apart your arms or head just so that you can get to a meeting on time, focus a little better on small print, or produce authentic tuba music on a whim?

It's also possible that Rung's "glasses" are just his old eyes worn for aesthetic purposes over new eyes that got added while his entire head was rebuilt. Wouldn't be the first time a facial upgrade got rejected.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
Well they've never been beep boop robots in any case. And then what about the little flying medibot things? How sentient are they?

I feel like ever since getting back into transformers in the last year with the comics and such, I've been regressing a bit. I sorta went back to 2008. So uh, that sure is a meme.

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The skids/waspinator wave is gonna get reissued in september, in case you wanna preorder on your e-store of choice.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Honestly I don't really think about this stuff a lot because Transformers are cartoony cartoon characters. Giving Rung glasses or making Whirl a clockmaker is done for storytelling purposes and building interesting characters. If you start thinking really hard about Transformers and really analyzing everything to try and make everything fit together logically it all kind of falls apart. In this case I just suspend my disbelief.

You know, there's the age old thing about Transformers having gender. Or even being humanoid and speaking english. It's so we can relate to them better. It's not hard science fiction.

Basically what I'm saying is that yeah people don't recognize Superman when he puts on glasses and changes his hair, whatever, just roll with it.

Chu Chu posted:

Well they've never been beep boop robots in any case. And then what about the little flying medibot things? How sentient are they?

I feel like ever since getting back into transformers in the last year with the comics and such, I've been regressing a bit. I sorta went back to 2008. So uh, that sure is a meme.

Still not as good as this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dp79jug-AM

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All truly compelling SF (or literature in general) is at its heart an exploration of the human condition by putting people into situations that the reader will find extreme or bizarre and describing how those people react and behave.

Those bizarre situations might be seeking revenge on a whale, or it might be being an eons-old shape-changing robot whose life is defined by civil war and to whom the very idea of gender is a confusing novelty.

And now that I've compared More than Meets the Eye to Moby Dick, I'll get right on to proving that black is white, and get myself killed on the next zebra crossing, so as to decisively remove my goony rear end from the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
It's an accurate comparison and statement, though. Transformers, like any fictional characters, are at their most interesting when they are identifiably us.