Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

Thanks, man. Hmm, the mainland Telvanni is another Great House, but the dialogue is not set to check against that. Now that I think back to what I did, the "gently caress off, you're not Telvanni" dialogue is only set to trigger if you're not regular Telvanni, so if you never joined or got kicked out. Is it possible you got expelled by getting caught stealing or something and didn't notice? I'd check that before tearing apart your mod set-up.

You could also check your load order, but if you're running the latest mlox file, it should automatically set UL 3.2 back to the original date.

I think we may be taking about different gently caress off dialogs, heh. It was something like, "I'm not doing anything for you until you change me back!" I can try to reproduce it tonight and give you a trip report and screenshot.

And I know I wasn't kicked out or anything because it all went off of the exact same save. I put in the box, stashed some loot, then went to the librarian to take my books, which is when it happened. When I restored the folder, I loaded up the same save and all was back to normal.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Mooktastical posted:

I think we may be taking about different gently caress off dialogs, heh. It was something like, "I'm not doing anything for you until you change me back!" I can try to reproduce it tonight and give you a trip report and screenshot.

And I know I wasn't kicked out or anything because it all went off of the exact same save. I put in the box, stashed some loot, then went to the librarian to take my books, which is when it happened. When I restored the folder, I loaded up the same save and all was back to normal.

Oh, that one! I should have asked you for the specific dialogue earlier. The one you're getting is the greeting for an NPC being a rock, which bugs out if UL loads after the MWSE add-on. So yeah, it's probably just your load order.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao morrowind rebirth outright removes the hair shirt of st kingdoms of alamur from the game world. I checked in the CS and everything. The item still exists, he just deleted the instance of it that's placed in the game, making the temple questline impossible without the console. For no reason. Good mod.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

lmao morrowind rebirth outright removes the hair shirt of st kingdoms of alamur from the game world. I checked in the CS and everything. The item still exists, he just deleted the instance of it that's placed in the game, making the temple questline impossible without the console. For no reason. Good mod.

you should tell him that then call him a weenis

He probably deletes entire areas and redoes them to what he remembers

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whatever mod in the chocolate mod pack causes me to get attacked randomly by various people is some real garbage. I am just walking across Balmora towards Caius house and some vampires come and attack me. I'm playing a redguard heavily spec'd towards melee so I destroyed them all easily but was still very annoyed. Later on some other people come and attack me again while I am walking around Balmora. Them all running away in circles at a sliver of health and me in heavy armor not being able to catch them got old real quickly.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So exploit the boots of blinding speed or level up marksmanship?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

So exploit the boots of blinding speed or level up marksmanship?

why can't we have both

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

cheesetriangles posted:

Whatever mod in the chocolate mod pack causes me to get attacked randomly by various people is some real garbage. I am just walking across Balmora towards Caius house and some vampires come and attack me. I'm playing a redguard heavily spec'd towards melee so I destroyed them all easily but was still very annoyed. Later on some other people come and attack me again while I am walking around Balmora. Them all running away in circles at a sliver of health and me in heavy armor not being able to catch them got old real quickly.

Chocolate 1.0 has some weird quirks.

Sometimes people rush at me and try to punch me for no reason in cities. I assume these are dreamers or whatever?

The Chocolate pack has a mod that disables the Mudcrab Merchant/Creeper, so I'm starting to be laden with gear that is essentially priceless. This mod also cranks silt strider costs (I think by a factor of 10?) so that 400g you find in a chest at the bottom of a Daedric ruin will pay for your return ticket back to Seyda Neen from Gnisis, at least.

Service requirements + Wakim's factions continue to be infuriating. I finally got promoted in the Mage's guild and could teleport without a surchage -- but only out of Balmora. Other Mage's Guilds still require a surcharge. Sigh.

I also installed Tamriel Rebuilt and I'm pretty sure it broke better heads/hairs/whatever. My character looks totally different and the improved hair styles appear to have all been replaced by the vanilla ones. Same for some of the faces. Bodies are still better bodies. I'd love to know how to get my hairs back.

I also discovered I essentially needed to exploit Alchemy super potions (like Feather) if I ever wanted to leave a dungeon with a big pack of loot.

At least I can finally start buying and making custom spells, so I now have access to a spell that restores all attributes, Mark (but no Recall yet), Fortify Attribute, Soul Trap, etc.

I'm having fun, but I feel like a lot of that fun comes from exploiting systems, not necessarily playing the game as intended. For instance I randomly found Skull Crusher, which is better than any Daedric anything I've encountered so far. Pretty much everyone melts once I manage to hit it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

boho posted:

The Chocolate pack has a mod that disables the Mudcrab Merchant/Creeper, so I'm starting to be laden with gear that is essentially priceless. This mod also cranks silt strider costs (I think by a factor of 10?) so that 400g you find in a chest at the bottom of a Daedric ruin will pay for your return ticket back to Seyda Neen from Gnisis, at least.

I also installed Tamriel Rebuilt and I'm pretty sure it broke better heads/hairs/whatever. My character looks totally different and the improved hair styles appear to have all been replaced by the vanilla ones. Same for some of the faces. Bodies are still better bodies. I'd love to know how to get my hairs back.

The first one is good, because you ARE handling priceless artifacts. There are maybe two merchants in the whole game who can even come close to giving you enough (and I can't remember them). Removing creeper/mudcrab makes you have almost not-infinite gold which is a nice change.

Increasing silt strider makes you walk, half the fun stuff I found in this game was just wandering from place to place. If I had a free "coc balmora" at every silt strider that would be super lame.

You sound pretty sure but I guarantee you it didn't. Did you register the TR_Data.bsa in your morrowind.ini like it says to? Make sure you're using TR_Mainland.esm and TR_Data.esm. There should be no other TR plugins. If you loaded an older version that's your problem right there.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

The only thing I can think it might be is Starfire's NPC additions. Are you running any other non-chocopack mods?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

boho posted:

I'm having fun, but I feel like a lot of that fun comes from exploiting systems, not necessarily playing the game as intended.

You're not playing the game as intended though, you're playing it with a bittervet mod made for people who have a hard time not bending the game over their knee. Of course you're exploiting systems.

(Not saying chocolate mod is mostly geared towards bittervets, but wakims stuff certainly is)

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Mortimer posted:

You sound pretty sure but I guarantee you it didn't. Did you register the TR_Data.bsa in your morrowind.ini like it says to? Make sure you're using TR_Mainland.esm and TR_Data.esm. There should be no other TR plugins. If you loaded an older version that's your problem right there.

Yes, and I've got just those two .esms. Never touched a previous version.

I managed to figure it out -- somehow the "pluginless hair and heads" mod from Chocolate got overwritten. I just re-installed via Mash and we're back to normal.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oggumogoggum posted:

The only thing I can think it might be is Starfire's NPC additions. Are you running any other non-chocopack mods?

No I wasn't running anything non chocopack.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sorry for the double post but I am having an issue. I reinstalled Morrowind and installed MGO and no other mods but GCD Lean. For some reason the Dark Brotherhood won't attack me no matter how much I sleep. I know on Xbox you need to be level 6 but you don't on PC. I did not install Delayed Dark Brotherhood mod. I deleted the entire Morrowind directory when I reinstalled. I'm kinda stumped.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You mean MGSO right?

Try disabling this mod DM_DB Armor Replacer-ExpDDBA.esp its been known to screw up the DB attacks and is part of the MGSO package, or you could open the console and enter:
set DBAttack to 1
Journal TR_DBAttack 10

That will make the game think you've been attacked already and you can talk to a guard to get the next quest stage. You should disable the armor mod regardless as its terrible.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I have not played this game in about 10 years and remember very little about it, so I'm going to do a mostly vanilla attempt. One thing I did want to change was being able to toggle sneak instead of having to hold Ctrl to sneak. Is there a quick and easy way to mod/fix that? I looked on the Nexus and there was a mod that had some wonky dependencies and wasn't looking to be very well received.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

graynull posted:

I have not played this game in about 10 years and remember very little about it, so I'm going to do a mostly vanilla attempt. One thing I did want to change was being able to toggle sneak instead of having to hold Ctrl to sneak. Is there a quick and easy way to mod/fix that? I looked on the Nexus and there was a mod that had some wonky dependencies and wasn't looking to be very well received.

The Morrowind Code Patch has a toggle sneak option, and even if you're trying to keep it vanilla, you should probably be using MCP anyways.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Speaking of sneak, is there a mod that add faster movement while sneaking? It's always been super annoying moving at a crawl.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is there a way to make Mlox actually work? I know its one of those cool nerd command line based mod organizers, which are cool and the best, but it just crashes when I click on any of its many files.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Is there a way to make Mlox actually work? I know its one of those cool nerd command line based mod organizers, which are cool and the best, but it just crashes when I click on any of its many files.

If you aren't seeing this you downloaded the wrong thing or otherwise hosed it up somehow. It's not command line based, it has a full GUI

edit: nerd

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ahhh Yeah I hosed up and am an rear end in a top hat. For future readers: Also drop the mlox base txt file in your mlox folder before booting it up (because it can't be included for some reason??)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Ahhh Yeah I hosed up and am an rear end in a top hat. For future readers: Also drop the mlox base txt file in your mlox folder before booting it up (because it can't be included for some reason??)

Because it changes so frequently (used to, not any more) they didn't want people to either download an old mlox base and wonder why it's bad, or download all of mlox for a simple list update. Also the author is weird

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Urvirith's Legacy (with Rise of House Telvanni and comp patch loaded) keeps crashing my game on startup with this error.

I haven't changed anything with the mod though.

edit: Disabling the compatibility patch fixes it. Well okay then

doubleedit: Well while I'm playing the "shove as much poo poo in it just get it to run" metagame, the GCDlean mod in the Chocolate pack causes my game to crash on startup. Gives me an error with gibberish and then somethign about "SDGDC att cal" or something like that.

triple edit: Moving it to the bottom of my load order fixes that. I'm a modding wizard!!! WOW!!!!!

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 20, 2014

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Average Bear posted:

doubleedit: Well while I'm playing the "shove as much poo poo in it just get it to run" metagame, the GCDlean mod in the Chocolate pack causes my game to crash on startup. Gives me an error with gibberish and then somethign about "SDGDC att cal" or something like that.

GCDLean is not compatible with the level/attribute uncapper in the Morrowind Code Patch. If you're using them both, that might be the source of the crash.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've got an issue where Daedric Cuirass and gloves are super shiny and reflective, making them much whiter than the rest of the set. Does anyone know what mod does this and how to remove it?

Edit: Apparently this is a common problem! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You know, has anybody ever found a mod that replaces the status effect icons ( the ones in the lower right hand corner of the screen) with icons that are more readily legible? After ten years of playing this game, I still can't identify ninety percent of them.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know, has anybody ever found a mod that replaces the status effect icons ( the ones in the lower right hand corner of the screen) with icons that are more readily legible? After ten years of playing this game, I still can't identify ninety percent of them.

On a similar subject, is there one that gets rid of the icons for permanent bonuses?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Reinstalled the game today on a whim and I have to say, it fills me with as much wonder as it did back when I was a 13-year old nerd who purchased this very same CD with my allowance money at the start of the summer. If that isn't a mark of an incredible game, I don't know what is. I think I stayed up until five in the morning playing it the first night I got it back then, and am just as tempted to do it now, drat.

The graphics and the battle system haven't aged very well but those can be fixed now. Skyrim is awesome, but Morrowind is simply video game art.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OpenMW just released v0.30 and seems to be making good progress towards a fully functional vanilla Morrowind for all platforms. It's a reimplementation of Morrowind with support for modern hardware and more flexible modding and stuff, but so far they're still recreating the vanilla experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdSOGlHjqc

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you had shown me that video and not told me it was OpenMW I probably would not have been able to tell you it was, which means it's almost here!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

That looks like a huge waste of time compared to the projects that are just re-doing the game in the skyrim engine.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sylink posted:

That looks like a huge waste of time compared to the projects that are just re-doing the game in the skyrim engine.

It really isn't at all. Making Morrowind actually take advantage of modern hardware is great as Morrowind as it is has really bad performance on even powerful computers. It goes without saying that allowing more modding flexibility is also great as Morrowind still has a really good modding community.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sylink posted:

Skyrim's gameplay and dialogue system don't mesh well with MW and no amount of modding is going to change that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sylink posted:

Want to add a skill in Skyrim (among tons of other stuff)? Nope gently caress off it's hardcoded.

Want to completely change the way combat works? Here you go: OpenMW is open source and will (and probably already does) take advantage of modern hardware better than the skyrim engine will :kimchi:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The dawn of a new age is upon us. Azura be praised.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sylink posted:

Yea this is a really stupid thing to say.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sylink posted:

shitpostin' nwa itt

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I have a bitchin' new PC now so I should probably get back to working on Chocolate Pack.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I have a few questions, but most pressingly, I have a major roadblock: I altered the game's resolution from its original 640 x 480 and now my game immediately CTDs on startup! I changed it back to its original setting and redid my Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul settings to try to remedy it, but I continue getting CTDs. I did not add or change any mods or settings besides the resolution. What in the world is going on?

Once I can get that settled, I was wondering about how uninstallations of mods during an active game works. I know that in Skyrim it tends to leave orphaned scripts running which cause trouble, but I've heard that Morrowind's engine doesn't work the same way. The mods in question are the Less Generic NPCs series. I installed them thinking they would make NPCs...well, less generic, but for the most part it fails at that; it adds in tons of additional quests and has lots of rapey overtones. Can I excise them cleanly or will they cause problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Morrowind does not handle uninstalling mods well by itself, but all you have to do is give your save a good cleaning with Wrye Mash and you'll be fine.