Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Who even wants to eat Subway's ham, it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It is pretty loving stupid to cater to such a small group when they can just not order a loving ham sandwich

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It is pretty loving stupid to cater to such a small group when they can just not order a loving ham sandwich

This all assumes it's not a bunch of clickbait sensationalist bullshit, though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Or now they might be more likely to go to Subway because they serve halal. Why don't you appreciate the free market?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

This all assumes it's not a bunch of clickbait sensationalist bullshit, though.

The Daily Mail wouldn't do that.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

AShamefulDisplay posted:

The Bundy Defence Task Force needs a bit of work imo

Legend:
-Minnie Strone= My dad
-Carrie R. Pigeon/Reggie Stration= Dad's teabagger high school friend that my dad loves to troll
-John Withawind/Cliffhanger= one of my dad's co-workers
- Reanne Carnation/Marcus Down= Me

Side note I doubt this guy has ever done anything more than drive through Watts in broad daylight

I read only the first five posts and it is already painfully obvious that this guy knows nothing about history or the conditions of blck Americans since the past 200 years.

During slavery poor all black neighborhoods were very common in the North and have been for a long time. Just because the North didn't own slaves doesn't mean that they collectively treated African Americans equally.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm assuming these Subway franchises are in/near heavily muslim neighborhoods and they aren't bothering to stock haraam meat anymore because nobody ever orders it. Hence why 'demand' was in quotes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm assuming these Subway franchises are in/near heavily muslim neighborhoods and they aren't bothering to stock haraam meat anymore because nobody ever orders it. Hence why 'demand' was in quotes.

Or ham is now too expensive like it apparently is here where the cold cut combo is all turkey-based meats pretending to be kinds of ham.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SaltLick posted:

Or now they might be more likely to go to Subway because they serve halal. Why don't you appreciate the free market?

Going halal in neighborhoods with large muslim populations makes a ton of sense, a wide ranging removal of a popular item just to avoid bothering a small subset of a minority group is dumb. We have halal subways and other stuff here for that very reason.

There is no way in hell all these stores are in muslim populated areas, and halal is more complicated then just not serving pork. For muslims who are concerned with eating food guaranteed to be halal, they would probably not be going to subway to begin with. I can't see many muslims who take halal seriously trusting a fast food place to make sure their beef was properly slaughtered.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 1, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Did you even read the article? Even with the Daily Mail trying to drum up rage it's remarkably limp and obvious that it's just a business decision.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Going halal in neighborhoods with large muslim populations makes a ton of sense, a wide ranging removal of a popular item just to avoid bothering a small subset of a minority group is dumb. We have halal subways and other stuff here for that very reason.

It's only 185 stores out of the 1700 subway locations in the UK. Changing policy at 10% of your stores is not really a 'wide-ranging' removal.

quote:

There is no way in hell all these stores are in muslim populated areas, and halal is more complicated then just not serving pork. For muslims who are concerned with eating food guaranteed to be halal, they would probably not be going to subway to begin with. I can't see many muslims who take halal seriously trusting a fast food place to make sure their beef was properly slaughtered.

I am going to go out on a limb here and maybe trust the Subway spokesperson to know a little more about what their decision process is:

quote:

A Subway spokeswoman confirmed to TheBlaze Wednesday that the company has responded over the past few years to an increasingly diverse population by providing halal meats, but declined to comment directly on whether ham and bacon have been removed from the menu at select locations.

“Due to the growing popularity of the Subway chain, with the diverse multicultural population across the U.K. and Ireland, we put a program in place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location,” the spokeswoman said in a statement.

She added that the Daily Mail article infers that there has been a “sudden change” in policy over Subway’s handling of the issue, which the company says is “incorrect,” saying that the program has been in place since 2007.

The reason that they are doing this (instead of just telling Muslims to not order a BLT) is that it allows them to advertise the location as completely halal in signs and so on, which presumably makes some difference in their business:

quote:

'All halal Subway stores have numerous signs stating that they serve halal food.

'These are situated on the menu panels, nutritional information and in the front window of the store.'

It's pretty telling that in all the forced-outrage coverage of this there isn't any actual indication that any Muslim group or organization made any sort of demands or requests for this; I am pretty sure that if there had been any actual organized action the Mail would splash it all over the place, but most of their outrage actually seems to be directed at the additional suffering that halal practice may cause in animals.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Lady Naga posted:

Holy gently caress I think that Spirit Science guy is forming a cult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0brxcaR40
Found this gem in the comments:

I know it's crazy from the start, but three things really jump out at me. The first is "active salt ions" which allows me to do my favorite thing when someone is spouting bullshit, which is ask for the inverse. Can you tell me what inactive salt ions are?

The second is the idea of chemtrail-spraying aircraft flying in "illegal paths". I'm an air traffic controller, and although there certainly are restricted areas around the US, with the exception of some large areas of the desert southwest they're quite small and typically don't extend into the altitude strata that commercial aircraft cruise at.

The last is her obviously bullshit claim to having an advanced science education. Does she imagine that anyone believes her?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

JohnClark posted:

Found this gem in the comments:

I know it's crazy from the start, but three things really jump out at me. The first is "active salt ions" which allows me to do my favorite thing when someone is spouting bullshit, which is ask for the inverse. Can you tell me what inactive salt ions are?

The second is the idea of chemtrail-spraying aircraft flying in "illegal paths". I'm an air traffic controller, and although there certainly are restricted areas around the US, with the exception of some large areas of the desert southwest they're quite small and typically don't extend into the altitude strata that commercial aircraft cruise at.

The last is her obviously bullshit claim to having an advanced science education. Does she imagine that anyone believes her?

Yes yes look that's all fine and good but

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There is no way in hell all these stores are in muslim populated areas,

Why not? Subway is loving everywhere because it's so cheap to franchise.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

For muslims who are concerned with eating food guaranteed to be halal, they would probably not be going to subway to begin with. I can't see many muslims who take halal seriously trusting a fast food place to make sure their beef was properly slaughtered.

It's not like it's expensive or difficult. Probably 2/3 of the food I eat is kosher and I'm not even Jewish.

Just checked the obscure hipster regional soda I had for lunch and the can says it's kosher.

e: Haha, took a peek at the comments on some news sites and every commenter is freaking out about the mudslimes imposing their beliefs on others. This is pure invisible hand, bitches. Deal.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 1, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Why not? Subway is loving everywhere because it's so cheap to franchise.

It's not like it's expensive or difficult. Probably 2/3 of the food I eat is kosher and I'm not even Jewish.

Just checked the obscure hipster regional soda I had for lunch and the can says it's kosher.

I'm basing that on working in one of the most muslim areas of the US and there is like 2 halal subways and a couple halal mcdonalds. To actually make the meat halal means not stunning the animals which is banned as being cruel in a lot of places. If it actually had been a group of muslims that protested this, odds are they would be the type to still find the standard roast beef harram as well.

From reading further articles only 2 stores actually cut pork, which is what I thought a whole bunch were doing, which would have been a nice case of business stupidty.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?
Not a crazy email forward but once again the Onion is spot on

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I think it was posted on here a while back, but someone wrote up a graphic or a list that was a response to a person positing that there's never been such a thing as palestine. Anyone have that, by chance?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lady Naga posted:

Holy gently caress I think that Spirit Science guy is forming a cult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0brxcaR40

I feel bad for the Extra Credit guy (who I believe started on SA) since he gets lots of hate mail from people thinking that he either is this dude or otherwise runs the channel.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crain posted:

I feel bad for the Extra Credit guy (who I believe started on SA) since he gets lots of hate mail from people thinking that he either is this dude or otherwise runs the channel.

I got sent this from a buddy who pitched it as "have you ever seen the new age Extra Credits?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwiAmSpnJ-8
The spinoff show is pretty good too.

"This is a vesca Pisces, but I'm sure you already knew that."

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fossilized Rappy posted:

"No one, not even Jesus, knows the day or hour."

Not even Jesus knows when he's coming back. poo poo is crazy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOYJBMM3XI
"I'm not going to throw vitriol at you, instead I'm going to be mature" *PLAY CLIPS WITH RETARD CLOWN MUSIC*

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Hahahhaha 'spirit shirts' and 'spirit store' are wonderful. It's such an obvious scam

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
I posted this picture this morning:

And got this in return:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

What the hell am I even looking at?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Magres posted:

Hahahhaha 'spirit shirts' and 'spirit store' are wonderful. It's such an obvious scam

Yeah but how the hell else will you experience FINANCIAL FREEDOM.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A natural harmonic torodial field, IDIOT :rolleyes:

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm going to go with 'some straight-up crazy talk'.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Badera posted:

And got this in return:

What kind of an idiot mortgages their house to start a business instead of just getting a small business loan? Or would that undercut their point about GOVERNMENT BAD because those are provided by the Small Business Administration?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 1, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Badera posted:

And got this in return:

Happy May Day y'all!!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
He has a whole video about sick geometry too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bgs-DIpo8

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CowHammer posted:

What kind of an idiot mortgages their house to start a business instead of just getting a small business loan? Or would that undercut their point about GOVERNMENT BAD because those are provided by the Small Business Administration?

Oops my business failed due to one of a million factors outside my control. Guess I lose my house to the Bootstraps God, hope I have better luck next life!

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Badera posted:

And got this in return:

Obligatory reminder that "You didn't do that your own" is COMPLETELY TRUE. That's not to say that the guy who started the business doesn't deserve a lot of the credit, but a business isn't even a coherent concept without the support of a society around it. Some business owners don't quite seem to understand or appreciate that, and do in fact cause harm to the society that made their endeavor a possibility.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Guilty Spork posted:

Obligatory reminder that "You didn't do that your own" is COMPLETELY TRUE. That's not to say that the guy who started the business doesn't deserve a lot of the credit, but a business isn't even a coherent concept without the support of a society around it. Some business owners don't quite seem to understand or appreciate that, and do in fact cause harm to the society that made their endeavor a possibility.

Phil Anthropist = Buck Kinnear. I finally baited him into saying what he really meant:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Happy May Day y'all!!

Well that's two more for the wall when the Revolution comes.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Ahahahahahahahaha this is a thing someone said unironically :suicide:

quote:

In fact, the poor have more opportunities than the rich, if solely for the fact that they are able (usually) to better differentiate between "needs" and "wants", and that allows them to see opportunities that the rich might just pass over.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Polybius91 posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha this is a thing someone said unironically :suicide:

:stonklol:

Unironic LUCKY DUCKY!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

EXAKT Science posted:

The crazy an-cap friend who I keep on my friends list mostly so I can make fun of the ridiculous poo poo he posts shared this from the "Young Americans for Liberty" FB page:

My response, which I posted both as a comment on his wall post and to the group's original picture:

It honestly baffles me that these people see Ron Swanson as someone to be unironically admired.

Ron Swanson is nothing like the typical libertarian or tea partier. While he talks a big game, he puts his friends and family first and regularly looks past his ideologies in order to do the right thing. He's a terrible libertarian.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Hey, does anybody have the parody email forward with the college professor/Jesus bear, the marine, and Richard Dawkins? I am utterly failing at finding it with the search function.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Jesus Christ can we just put it in the OP at this point?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

EXAKT Science posted:

Hey, does anybody have the parody email forward with the college professor/Jesus bear, the marine, and Richard Dawkins? I am utterly failing at finding it with the search function.

Found it! And yes, it totally should go in the OP.
ETA: And the original thread it came from.

quote:

"A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.” The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.” It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and lifted up his arm to strike him.

At that moment the professor was transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, wreathed in a halo of holy fire. The bear spoke: “Blasphemer thou art, thou thinkst to take the place of God? Those who deny me face eternal fire, but you who knows my work and yet commits the sin of Satan I curse a hundred times over!” The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently picking at his boils. Then Richard Dawkins burst into the room, wielding a copy of The Selfish Gene and crying “Leave that boy alone, you pathetic atavism!” As the holy bear whirled around, terrible light flashing in its eyes, Dawkins shed his mortal form, raised each of his seven horned heads, and hissed. “It’ssss me you want!”. And then the Lord and the Antichrist joined in the final battle.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.”

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 1, 2014