Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

So as much as I enjoyed the Garl Vynland reference, Velstadt was really goddamn disappointing as an actually boss. I keep hearing the "dudes in armor" argument thrown around all the time, but man does this guy really clinch it. Not only was he just a slower, less lethal Forge Demon, he went down in a nanosecond, too.

So far it seems like any of main bosses go down fairly quickly and are easy fights. I'm about to start my 6th attempt on Darklurker now :cripes:

Great I don't have any more effigys, wheres the best place to farm them? Amana?

bef fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008
Just had a 3 on 1 fight in the Belfry sol (2 greys and 1 red) managed to beat them all, I feel pretty good right now.
The red Phantom managed to help by shooting a Soul spear through both the greys.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bef posted:

So far it seems like any of main bosses go down fairly quickly and are easy fights. I'm about to start my 6th attempt on Darklurker now :cripes:

The lizardy guys in Amana and the dogs in Lost Bastille are good for effigies (especially with item discovery gear). You can also buy them in a few places.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The red guy gets souls for any kill including greys so he had an incentive to kill them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ironclads are one of the easiest enemies in the game to roll in and out of, there's no luck to it. They have an extremely long wind up, it's almost impossible to even get hit by the overhead swing unless you just stand there and take it on the chin on purpose.
Well, if you're so sure of it then I'll try it again, maybe I just got the timing wrong.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Domattee posted:

The red guy gets souls for any kill including greys so he had an incentive to kill them

Oh, then I guess he was lining up a 3 shot, I figured he just fired and since the greys were chasing me they didn't see it and just got caught in the crossfire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bef posted:

If you saved all of the singing girls (including the one locked in the Castle) you can head up the stairs from the third bonfire in the Shrine of Amana and and pray at the alter with no effigies, it'll make you human again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I burn an ascetic on the things betwixt bonfire will the ogre with the stone ring respawn and drop it?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I love every skeleton message and if you're not voting them up you're a vile monster.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

If you saved all of the singing girls (including the one locked in the Castle) you can head up the stairs from the third bonfire in the Shrine of Amana and and pray at the alter with no effigies, it'll make you human again.

Good to know, but you need to offer an effigy to head into the Abyss

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

bef posted:

Good to know, but you need to offer an effigy to head into the Abyss

Use ascetics on the first Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire, grab 5 effigies every time. (Also, kill the Heide knight for his sweet gear.)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Use ascetics on the first Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire, grab 5 effigies every time. (Also, kill the Heide knight for his sweet gear.)

Planning on NG+ for my first character so I'd rather not, I'm just gonna go with what Kimmalah posted

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm in the place with the river and zombies, is that the right place to be for early in the game? You go up into this keep and theres a guy sitting at the pillar, but I cant beat him. It also says I'm level 12, how do I level up?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardiovorax posted:

You've been saying nothing except "lol l2p scrubs :smuggo:" for pages now. We get it, you're awesome and anyone who has any criticism about the level design just sucks at it. Now go back to gamefaqs.

I agree with NihilVerum, the zones in DS2 just feel less organic and appropriate than the ones in the last game. The whole approach to the Iron Keep is basically cribbed from DS1's approach to Izalith, what with the vertical poison level, flat poison level, lava level, but where DS1 actually felt like you're actually travelling somewhere - descending through the sewers, climbing down a rickety shanty down built into the walls of the above city's garbage dump, trudging through the sludge and finally spelunking down a natural cave into the underworld - the whole thing feels like a sequence of Doom levels. It's a lot more low-effort design and not nearly as well integrated.

Hey now, GenoCyber may have an autistic brain that literally cannot process that people enjoy games for different reasons than he does, but he's largely correct in that that Kawabata guy is just terrible at the game. Dark Souls 2 is probably the easiest Souls game there is, Kawabata is just unobservant at best :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Anyone else got logged out of the game and cant connect to steam anymore?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, if you're so sure of it then I'll try it again, maybe I just got the timing wrong.

Hit them once and roll away. You have the time to hit twice depending on your weapon but there's a non-zero chance you'll gently caress up and not roll away fast enough if you do. Even when they do the overhand swing and slow you down for a brief moment you still have time to leisurely walk back up and hit them again. Then you just roll away and do it again. Even if you do get hit by it you have enough time to get up and run/hit them.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Was flat out overdosing on :smug: after taking down two bosses on the first shot and without breaking a sweat, but holy balls what is wrong with the swing width on Smelter Demon? :stare:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
What bonfire is the Heide knight by the shrine of winter tied to? Had most of the set but it was getting a bit much farming the Bastille and Forest knights.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I used the Heide Knight Mask for the majority of the game and don't regret it at all. It's a sweet helm.

e: the plume from the top casting individual shadows when in the range of dynamic light sources looks loving awful though. It's silly as hell and not even close to how light and shadows work

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

One thing I love about this game over Dark Souls 1 is just how much better Steam is at connecting people then Windows Live.

And as soon as I say that Steam goes down :ughh:

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Maxmaps posted:

Was flat out overdosing on :smug: after taking down two bosses on the first shot and without breaking a sweat, but holy balls what is wrong with the swing width on Smelter Demon? :stare:

He has a long reach so you can't roll away from him.
He swings in a wide arc so you can't roll left or right.
Only one direction left to roll.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Just came back to my dual wielding DEX dude after playing my STR guy, and I got so upset with my damage output that I respecced to being DEX/FTH to play some PvP. I feel like I'm doing twice as much damage as I did before, except with half the stamina costs. So yep, any quality/physical scaling build got shafted pretty hard.

I feel like DEX weapons are better for PvP though. It's hard to say. I've been using katanas, greathammers and ultra greatswords but I feel like the 2h katana is the most reliable as a weapon. Really, the best strategy I was able to come up with the Demon Great Hammer was to roll to the left side of the enemy and following up with a 2h R1. That attack comes pretty much instantly, and I'm pretty sure it's "dead angling" my enemies a lot of time (hitting them behind their shields by catching them with my backswing without lock-on, though I'm not sure if this technique is still in the game).

Other than that, using the hammer in any other way was kind of suicide unless they were also using a slow rear end weapon. I guess you can sometimes bait them to attack you by intentionally whiffing an attack and then attacking them, but obviously that comes with huge risk. The hammer was pretty good against turtlers since it drained their stamina AND did a ton of lightning damage through that shield. It is fun when you land a hit with the hammer since it tends to take like half of an enemy's life bar away, sometimes most of it. I've won like 70% of my duels with that hammer.

That being said, I still think I prefer DEX weapons for PvP, namely a Lightning Chaos Blade with Sunlight Blade. There's just a lot more you can do and it's a lot more responsive. One thing I really like doing is stuttering my attacks. I act like I'm out of stamina after attacking, and then as soon as they close in, I take another strike. Oh, and I also like backstepping whenever they charge at me to dodge their attack, and immediately following up with a stab and a flurry of attacks.

Man, the PvP is so much more functional than in Dark Souls 1. The only thing I really dislike is the fact that all builds tend to get homogenized as soul memories grow higher. Eventually everyone seems to be running around with 50 vigor, 25 adaptability, 20+ endurance, 40 INT or FTH and so on.

Oh well, at least you can still make a new character and get him to PvP in like an hour.

edit: the highlight of my PvP run today was taking out 3 soapstone dark spirits in a row. I mean they each waited for their turn to fight me patiently, which really was nice of them, but still. Killed the last one without my sunlight blade, too!!

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Anyone else got logged out of the game and cant connect to steam anymore?

Steam is making GBS threads itself in Europe right now, just wait for it to come back.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maxmaps posted:

Get up real close to that fucker

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

WYA posted:

I'm in the place with the river and zombies, is that the right place to be for early in the game? You go up into this keep and theres a guy sitting at the pillar, but I cant beat him. It also says I'm level 12, how do I level up?

Yes, that's the right zone for you to be exploring after Majula. There's a bonfire off to the side of the river.

To level up, go back to Majula (you can warp between bonfires), find the Emerald Herald lady near the bonfire, and talk to her until you get a menu. She'll give you an Estus Flask for healing in those initial conversations, and her menu a. lets you upgrade that so you can take more swigs and b. lets you level up.

If for some inane reason you killed her, you're probably better off restarting since you're so early.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Christ, the most important item for a magic user isn't the spells, or the catalysts, it's the binoculars! The went full-on spellscope with them, you can look at things AND cast.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

WYA posted:

Welcome to Dark Souls 2!

Any place is the right place early in the game. If you can beat it, its the right place. If you can't beat something, try again when you get some new kit.

To level up you talk to the woman at the bonfire in Majula. She gives you the option to level up, which costs Souls. Every point you spend your level goes up by 1. The trick to getting those levels is to not die! Over time the game doesn't get easier, you get better and die less.

Watch how the enemy attacks, be patient, wait for the opening and hit once then back off and do it over again. That is the best way to kill the knight sitting by the tree.

Do not forget to upgrade your favourite weapon at the blacksmith (When you get the key to open the door.)

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I really need to do a playthrough without the large club so I can experience all these difficult parts people are explaining. Things like the turtle knights being a problem is just so hard to grasp when a 2-handed strong attack not only does half their health, it makes them fall flat on their face for 5 seconds. Basically any humanoid NPC vs. the club was a complete joke because you could lock them down on the floor until death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is 2.3 mil soul memory too high for belfroy sol? I figured I'd farm some titanite chunks but I've only been summoned once. Of course, I've been invaded several times in return. Wish you got a reward for killing Greys like you do for beating Ratbros.

VVV Pretty sure whips are one of those joke weapons that is going to suck no matter what you do with it.

EDIT: why of why did they have to put Avelyn in this game. I hate that stupid shotgun bow.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, no suggestions on making whips not underperform? Alright, guess it's time to try out that great club.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is 2.3 mil soul memory too high for belfroy sol? I figured I'd farm some titanite chunks but I've only been summoned once. Of course, I've been invaded several times in return. Wish you got a reward for killing Greys like you do for beating Ratbros.

I went in there as one of the last things I did before the final boss and was around that soul memory, a little less maybe. I was instantly invaded by two people. In fact, after beating the game I'm starting to get for real invasions outside of the pvp places and it really sucks. Last time I was infusing weapons when it happened. :sigh: That'll teach me for not paying attention I guess but it's still lame as gently caress.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Domattee posted:

Steam is making GBS threads itself in Europe right now, just wait for it to come back.
It's not just Europe, it's making GBS threads itself all over the place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I went in there as one of the last things I did before the final boss and was around that soul memory, a little less maybe. I was instantly invaded by two people. In fact, after beating the game I'm starting to get for real invasions outside of the pvp places and it really sucks. Last time I was infusing weapons when it happened. :sigh: That'll teach me for not paying attention I guess but it's still lame as gently caress.

Its really really dumb that you can be invaded in areas you've beaten the boss in and I have no idea why they put that in. Its impossible to be safe once you get to a high SM unless you burn an effigy at a bonfire or have a character specced to kill PvPers.

EDIT: It really annoys me that this PvP is so close to being good but is ruined by a bunch of issues. I genuinely believe the hitboxes on many weapons are hosed up. I regularly get hit by stuff I'm clearly not next too. I don't remember it ever being this bad in Dark Souls.

When you do get good PvP matches its so much fun though.

What's this obnoxious spear with the twirly combo I see a bunch of people using?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 1, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Crusher posted:

I really need to do a playthrough without the large club so I can experience all these difficult parts people are explaining. Things like the turtle knights being a problem is just so hard to grasp when a 2-handed strong attack not only does half their health, it makes them fall flat on their face for 5 seconds. Basically any humanoid NPC vs. the club was a complete joke because you could lock them down on the floor until death.
Yeah, try a slashing weapon or something. I did the iron keep with a Mace +5 through half of it until I got enough souls to take it to +10, but even then I just smashed nearly enemy apart in 2 or 3 hits, even the ironclads. With a sword? I was darting around back in the Forest when they first appeared for like 7 or 8 slashes to kill them.

I don't think there's any enemy that doesn't already take more damage from a mace than they would a sword in this game. Hence, maces and hammers are the superior weapons. They only really lack range, and at that point, you just want a bigger hammer instead.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hey now, GenoCyber may have an autistic brain that literally cannot process that people enjoy games for different reasons than he does, but he's largely correct in that that Kawabata guy is just terrible at the game. Dark Souls 2 is probably the easiest Souls game there is, Kawabata is just unobservant at best :v:

Hahaha. I pvped in DaS1 for over a year, finished both DS and DaS several times, and if you browse my post history you'll read that I've completed both Rats and Bellbros in an afternoon, dying a total of 6 times.

I'm not complaining because I'm bad at the game, I'm simply saying that this game is the cheaper of the 3, and I'm in good company, regardless of what the DaS2 insufferable master race seems to think. It's not harder, I never said that. I agreee with you that it might be even easier this time around, considering the game has a much better multiplayer and bosses/bad spots can be cheesed without too much effort with any 3 men party, but level design/single player gameplay are just not on par with the 2 previous games.

And collision detection is still loving terrible.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 1, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, no suggestions on making whips not underperform? Alright, guess it's time to try out that great club.

I cooped with a Simon Belmont last night. Leather armor, leather shield and a whip. When he realized the whip wasn't doing enough damage, he switched chucking Witching Urns. :allears:

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So I just sunbro'd with someone entering the Belfry Luna, and we proceed to own the place, taking out 3 gray spirits, ringing the bell, and nearly kicking the everloving poo poo out of the gargoyles ... and then he/she manages to get killed by the last gargoyle a split second before my lightning bolt takes it out. Ah well, such is Dark Souls. :shrug:

FuriousGeorge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2014

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
For some odd reason none of my NPC's are coming back to Majula. The crazy woman from the Forest of Giants has not come, nor the map guy and I cleared every square inch of that place. Did I miss something?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

NuckmasterJ posted:

For some odd reason none of my NPC's are coming back to Majula. The crazy woman from the Forest of Giants has not come, nor the map guy and I cleared every square inch of that place. Did I miss something?

Did you exhaust all their talk options?

For Malentia, exhaust all talk, kill Last Giant.

For Cale, exhaust all talk, then clear out the basement and rest at the Far Fire.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

Did you exhaust all their talk options?

That, I am not sure of.