Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RageCage
Jun 7, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm watching the producer's cut and the extended footage for the Cones of Dunshire is awesome. "Come to my office, we're gonna cut your hair!"

Yeah, that was great - the only part of the Producer's Cut that I didn't like was that you don't get to hear Ben say "It's about the Cones..." instead he just offers to call it a draw, which is less satisfying in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

hyperbowl posted:

Schur directed their video for Calamity Song a few years ago.

Which, like that one episode, is just a huge Infinite Jest jerk fest, which is awesome :)

P+R is rife with awesome sightly off the beaten path cultural references.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So my roommate and I have been going through Parks and Rec on Netflix, and we're on season 4.

I was already sold on this show, but I've just reached the point of no return. I simply cannot put this show down now that I've seen Adam Scott in a Batman costume, crying. Magnificent. :911:

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Boywhiz88 posted:

EDIT: Just noticed that Yo La Tengo, which someone said played Bobby Knight Ranger (also, the chair throwing at the end was great), is on the chart for the Unity Concert. I think they improvised the BKR joke, that's awesome.

You think they played a Night Ranger song and dressed like Bobby Knight, but nobody thought of calling it Bobby Knight Ranger until the shoot? Like after the third take someone looks around and says "hey you know what, can we do one more, except everyone throw a chair this time!"?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I liked Andy's "Its always great to hear Sister Christian that many times in a row."

Kicklighter
Jun 30, 2012

RageCage posted:

Yeah, that was great - the only part of the Producer's Cut that I didn't like was that you don't get to hear Ben say "It's about the Cones..." instead he just offers to call it a draw, which is less satisfying in my opinion.

Didn't see the original cut of the finale, but the shot of Ben between the cones and his offer of a draw looked like a reference to Searching for Bobby Fischer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrY9JWVBv4&t=6m15s

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kicklighter posted:

Didn't see the original cut of the finale, but the shot of Ben between the cones and his offer of a draw looked like a reference to Searching for Bobby Fischer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrY9JWVBv4&t=6m15s

It was, yeah.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

So my roommate and I have been going through Parks and Rec on Netflix, and we're on season 4.

I was already sold on this show, but I've just reached the point of no return. I simply cannot put this show down now that I've seen Adam Scott in a Batman costume, crying. Magnificent. :911:

"Uh oh. Batman's crying."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That was a great closer and a nice setup for a new season.
This season was weaker than the rest, but I still enjoy this show a ton.

Cones of Dunshire looks downright insane. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any idea why Jeff Tweedy was in it as the singer for a totally fictional band instead of just bringing Wilco in? Seems curious.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bown posted:

Does anyone have any idea why Jeff Tweedy was in it as the singer for a totally fictional band instead of just bringing Wilco in? Seems curious.
Wilco don't fit the "broken up band reuniting for one night" plot bit, for one. I assume they had that down first and then just thought let's get Jeff Tweedy for whatever reason

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Because they wanted to do a plot about getting a band that had split up back together for the concert.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....wait, was that a plot? I don't remember that at all, and I know it wasn't in the finale cause I've seen it twice now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

.....wait, was that a plot? I don't remember that at all, and I know it wasn't in the finale cause I've seen it twice now.

It happened 2 episodes before the finale, in episode 19.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this really was one forgettable-rear end season of television, huh?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

this really was one forgettable-rear end season of television, huh?

Yeah, it was really skippable. It's a miracle that they managed to make me excited for the next season with the finale. I've never been as deep into P&R as most people here (though looking back Season 3 is loving perfect, holy poo poo), so it was easy to just lose interest.

But Cones of Dunshire is still a great episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There were a handful of decent episodes but overall the season felt like it was treading water. Also, I'm probably in the minority camp here but I really think they've moved Andy far too much along the Homer Simpson stupidity scale, in the last few seasons he's gone from lovable doofus who's slightly detached from reality to too-stupid-to-live literal manchild. I know sitcoms generally blow up character traits as they run on but seems a really crude way they've done it in this case.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Maybe, but I lost it at "the key is to throw it into the back of the fan" and his facial expression.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think Andy still works because Chriss Pratt is amazingly charming and likeable in how he portrays him. Any less fitting or charismatic actor would make his descent into unintelligence more grating and annoying.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There were a handful of decent episodes but overall the season felt like it was treading water. Also, I'm probably in the minority camp here but I really think they've moved Andy far too much along the Homer Simpson stupidity scale, in the last few seasons he's gone from lovable doofus who's slightly detached from reality to too-stupid-to-live literal manchild. I know sitcoms generally blow up character traits as they run on but seems a really crude way they've done it in this case.

Finally someone else said it. You used to be alright Andy, now you are just downright annoying and terrible.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I thought Andy seemed to get more tolerably stupid in the last couple weeks.

But yeah I think they have moved a bit too far from clumsy and childish to downright dumb.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Season 7 sees Andy become the poster boy for Leslie's crusade against the lead in Pawnee's water supply.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The season seems forgettable because all of the good episodes happened before the midseason break (an arbitrary distinction, I guess, but the back-half felt like a very different show).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Naet posted:

The season seems forgettable because all of the good episodes happened before the midseason break (an arbitrary distinction, I guess, but the back-half felt like a very different show).

Season 5 was the same way. Seemed like the episode where Leslie and Ben got married was meant to be a season finale, then they spent the rest of the season sorta floundering around with few to no plot threads until the actual finale introduced the next season's storylines.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
It never seems to turn out well when a show seems to know it's constantly on the cusp of cancellation. Surprise seasons historically seem awkward.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
If you love Adam Scott and U2, Adam Scott and Scott Auckerman have been doing a podcast together called "You Talkin' U2 to Me?". I've only listened to the first and ninth episodes, but I'm really enjoying it. It's more the two guys sitting around bullshitting than in-depth talk about U2, but it's enjoyable for your commute time. :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In terms of political shows, Yes, Minister kind of did the whole "transition from lower political office to higher one" storyline so that might be worth looking at as a model.

Zedd posted:

That was a great closer and a nice setup for a new season.
This season was weaker than the rest, but I still enjoy this show a ton.

Cones of Dunshire looks downright insane. :v:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the obvious effect of the time jump is to allow Cones of Dunshire to go from an obscure board game to the mainstay of the US economy. The incoming presidential administration, hoping to take peoples' minds off the ailing economy, uses the National Parks Service to transform Pawnee into a living version of Cones. Ben is in a tuxedo because he's about to inaugurate (in his persona as the Architect) the first annual Dunshire Games. I mean, come on people

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In terms of political shows, Yes, Minister kind of did the whole "transition from lower political office to higher one" storyline so that might be worth looking at as a model.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the obvious effect of the time jump is to allow Cones of Dunshire to go from an obscure board game to the mainstay of the US economy. The incoming presidential administration, hoping to take peoples' minds off the ailing economy, uses the National Parks Service to transform Pawnee into a living version of Cones. Ben is in a tuxedo because he's about to inaugurate (in his persona as the Architect) the first annual Dunshire Games. I mean, come on people

You remember the cones, or you die.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Culture - a human/machine symbiotic society - has thrown up many great Game Players, and one of the greatest is Gurgeh. Jernau Morat Gurgeh. The Player of Games. Master of every board, computer and strategy.

Bored with success, Gurgeh travels to the Town of Pawnee, cruel and incredibly obese, to try their fabulous 'Cones of Dunshire' ... a game so complex, so like life itself, that the winner becomes Arch-Wizard of the town. Mocked, blackmailed, almost murdered, Gurgeh accepts the game, and with it the challenge of his life - and very possibly his death.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 1, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What happened to Parks and Rec on Netflix? Half the episodes have disappeared. Any news?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PriorMarcus posted:

What happened to Parks and Rec on Netflix? Half the episodes have disappeared. Any news?

Netflix sucks balls is what happened

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I still have the first 5 Seasons all completely available for streaming. :confused:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Netflix sucks balls is what happened

Kinda weird to find out nearly every show I watched on Netflix is gone now. The world needed an easily accessible source of Twin Peaks goddamnit :argh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I am only seeing seasons 2 and 3 now. Weird.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All 5 seasons are available on Amazon Prime. Get Amazon Prime.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I still have the first five seasons of P&R up on my Netflix. Plus all of the Office and 30 Rock (and Twin Peaks).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I still have the first five seasons of P&R up on my Netflix. Plus all of the Office and 30 Rock (and Twin Peaks).

Here in Netflix UK we've had and lost Twin Peaks and the nearly the entire anime catalogue (rip Gurren Lagann) and good american comedies like 30 Rock and P&R have been nothing but a heady dream. Their lineup just seems to be really volatile and geographically restricted.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
FYI Netflix is saying some of their selections are glitching on people and their engineers are working on it. Just to confirm whatever's going on isn't permanent.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a glitch; they're fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Culture - a human/machine symbiotic society - has thrown up many great Game Players, and one of the greatest is Gurgeh. Jernau Morat Gurgeh. The Player of Games. Master of every board, computer and strategy.

Bored with success, Gurgeh travels to the Town of Pawnee, cruel and incredibly obese, to try their fabulous 'Cones of Dunshire' ... a game so complex, so like life itself, that the winner becomes Arch-Wizard of the town. Mocked, blackmailed, almost murdered, Gurgeh accepts the game, and with it the challenge of his life - and very possibly his death.

I wasn't expecting to see an Iain M Banks crossover in the P&R thread, but boy am I glad it happened.

• Locked thread