Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

The second one. That books way more useful as a long term argument assist tool since he's a virtually unimpeachable expert on the subject (god knows they'll try), but if you've been smart enough to already realize that the system as it is currently fucks anyone that hasn't already gotten theirs it won't really teach you anything new.

Economics makes me feel dumb as hell. I struggled with it (and stats) in school in ways that I haven't in any other class and one time I tried to read Das Kapital on my own and I just couldn't grasp it :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

No? Economically the 50s and the 90s were both great and you saw huge upswings in this crap then

There was a major recession in the early 90s.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey who was it that called the Clippers going nonprofit? Because some fans are trying to do just that, a la the Green Bay Packers

http://m.fastcoexist.com/3029926/la-clippers-fans-are-raising-funds-to-buy-the-team-and-make-it-a-nonprofit

Got to roll my eyes at the comparison of Sterling to Mubarak though

zoux posted:

Also enough with the mobile links!!!!!!

No

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

LorneReams posted:

This is only being allowed to happen because they are mostly white christian rednecks, right? I mean any other shade of color or religion gets Wacoed, correct?

I just can't imagine this being allowed to happen if it was a group of heavily armed hispanics protesting the bullshit anti-hispanic laws in Nevada.

White Christian rednecks were the people who got Wacoed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Economics makes me feel dumb as hell. I struggled with it (and stats) in school in ways that I haven't in any other class and one time I tried to read Das Kapital on my own and I just couldn't grasp it :eng99:

For me it's English (I'm literally Ralph Wiggum), but I'm basically autistic when it comes to math, or learning and understanding anything I'm interested in as long as it's not in a scholastic setting. I mean my father in-law is a MBA/JD, my brother in-law is a PhD, and my wife is doing her MBA and yet with only "some college" they usually consult me with regards to math or engineering.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem is that even when times are great you have this kind of stuff as well.

Fried Chicken posted:

No? Economically the 50s and the 90s were both great and you saw huge upswings in this crap then

The huge upswing in this crap during the 1990s happened in the first half of the decade, and the militia movement deflated rapidly from 1996 onward. Meanwhile GDP growth was strong in 1994, slackened slightly in 1995, and resumed a striking upward trajectory in 1996 that continued through to the burst of the tech bubble in 2001. It's tempting to think of this as an exact correlation but there are multiple causes. For example as some others pointed out, the GOP took control of both houses of Congress in 1996, which probably caused a lot of less hardcore members to vacillate.

As to the 1950s, the militia movement of the 1990s and present is descended from rather than identical to the KKK revival, John Birch Society, and the other mid-century paranoids. It's also the case that, whereas a lot of the groups began in the late 1950s, their period of explosive growth was during the mid-late 1960s.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Two Finger posted:

I will also accept good American craft beers, I have a real taste for those.

Sorry for the food derail, but if you can get hold of some New Glarus, you won't regret it.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

Cheers

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

White Christian rednecks were the people who got Wacoed.

Kinda? They weren't exactly mainline Christians and had lots of Messianic prophecies that the vast majority of Christians would find straight up blasphemous, even compared to stuff like Mormonism.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
To celebrate May Day House Republicans have announced a hearing scheduled for next Thursday on the menace of BIG LABOR IN THE NCAA

http://edworkforce.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=378474

Some rear end in a top hat posted:

House Education and the Workforce Committee Chairman John Kline (R-MN) today announced the committee will examine a recent decision by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) that classifies certain student athletes as “employees” for the purposes of collective bargaining. The hearing, entitled "Big Labor on College Campuses: Examining the Consequences of Unionizing Student Athletes," will take place on Thursday, May 8 at 10:00 a.m. in room 2175 Rayburn House Office Building.

“The NLRB’s decision represents a radical departure from longstanding federal labor policies,” said Chairman Kline. “Classifying student athletes as employees threatens to fundamentally alter college sports, as well as reduce education access and opportunity. The committee has a responsibility to thoroughly examine how the NLRB’s decision will affect students and their ability to receive a quality education.”

The hearing will be webcast if you want to be extremely angry next week.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

To celebrate May Day House Republicans have announced a hearing scheduled for next Thursday on the menace of BIG LABOR IN THE NCAA

http://edworkforce.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=378474

The hearing will be webcast if you want to be extremely angry next week.

10:00am: declare that paying students is the end of higher education
11:00am: Repeal Obamacare
11:05am: Cocaine / hookers / gay hookers break
2:00pm: End of break
2:01pm: Repeal Obamacare
2:05pm: Talk about rape
2:06pm: Prepare speech doubling down on rape comments
2:07pm: blame the blacks and women for rape comments
2:09pm: pretend that a democrat was talking about rape instead
3:00pm: Margarita hour! Talk about the browns taking jobs

Whew, tight schedule

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's your first look at the monument the Satanic Church is going to request be installed at the Oklahoma State Capitol under their new religious freedom law:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Here's your first look at the monument the Satanic Church is going to request be installed at the Oklahoma State Capitol under their new religious freedom law:

Holy poo poo, that's fantastic. I love these people for what they're doing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Hail Satan.

I like how one of their proposed activities is like "contemplatively sit on Satan's comforting lap."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Do these people need money or anything?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
If they don't use glow-paint on the eyes and pentagram, I'll buy a round-trip ticket and do it myself.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

fits my needs posted:

I guess this is trending because people are comparing it to Sterling, but he is making a rational point? I guess it's just more "NO. YOU are the REAL RACIST(s)" stuff since Clarence Thomas was chosen on merit, well according to the comments on that article anyway.

I know this is from a couple pages back but I have to strongly disagree with this rationale. You can't justify bullshit by claiming it's based off of some rational points. He lost all credibility by calling Thomas a uncle tom. You can't defend him for that. He doesn't even apologize for calling him that.

You're not going to defend a politician for calling a mexican who crossed the border illegally a wetback because the the slur was based on illegal entry into the US by crossing the Rio Grande, are you?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Needs a copy of Atlas Shrugged in his lap.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

Holy poo poo, that's fantastic. I love these people for what they're doing.

They're truly doing the lords work here. The lord of hell's work. :regd10:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

You know, it really stuck me just how religious this looks. I realize that sounds kinda dumb considering Satanism is a religion, but without the pentagram I'd think this was some sort of Greek or Roman statue.

Thinking about it, it makes sense, going balls out on the whole "Satanism" thing would be counterproductive to the cause/point they're making, but it really is striking to me that when I first looked at that stature I immediately thought "Wow, that looks like a religious statue."

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 1, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the Vice article on it.

quote:

The Baphomet, which will stand seven feet tall and be a testament to the glory of the Angel of the Bottomless Pit, would be placed directly beside the sculpture glorifying the laws given to Moses by the Christian God. The idea of a Satanic monument sitting on government property in Oklahoma—which is like the Bible Belt's Bible Belt—seems a bit far-fetched, but Greaves says that "there has been quite a bit of discussion among legal scholars who recognize how difficult it would actually be for Oklahoma to turn us down… Constitutional law is quite clear on this issue: The state can’t discriminate against viewpoints. If they’ve opened the door for one, they’ve opened it for all.”

Ryan Kiesel from the Oklahoma ACLU seems to agree. He told the Libertarian Republic, “If, at the end of the day, the Ten Commandments monument is allowed to remain on the Capitol grounds with its overtly Christian message, then the Satanic Temple’s proposal can’t be rejected because it is of a different religious viewpoint.”

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

zoux posted:

I want to take a road trip down to Oklahoma and blare this out of a boombox at the Capitol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqaOSIYsm58

hobbesmaster posted:

Seriously this is the best thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I know this is from a couple pages back but I have to strongly disagree with this rationale. You can't justify bullshit by claiming it's based off of some rational points. He lost all credibility by calling Thomas a uncle tom. You can't defend him for that. He doesn't even apologize for calling him that.

You're not going to defend a politician for calling a mexican who crossed the border illegally a wetback because the the slur was based on illegal entry into the US by crossing the Rio Grande, are you?

Thomas is an uncle Tom. That congressman has read the book and loving knows what one is. He's not some loony idiot throwing around words he doesn't understand.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Now I wanna put up an atheist "statue" that's just a sign in front of an empty space saying "This statue represents the existence of God" or some such.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

Wanna put up an atheist "statue" that's just a sign saying "This statue represents the existence of God" or some such.

Pretty sure the Satanists have done it about as well as it can be done.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hobbesmaster posted:

IIRC there was a kickstarter for the statue and it cleared its goal in a day or so.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The article says you can support them by buying some rad-looking shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, or mugs from them:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

Wanna put up an atheist "statue" that's just a sign saying "This statue represents the existence of God" or some such.

Atheists should erect a statue of John Scopes. That would probably piss off way more people than even the church of satan statue would.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The great thing about it is that it's going to be a "proper" looking statue like fade5 said. I mean you have an equally valid argument to put up some cardboard sign reading "God is dead", but the State reps are going to look a lot more hypocritical when they finagle a way to block an actual bronze statue depicting a religious figure from the Capitol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

The great thing about it is that it's going to be a "proper" looking statue like fade5 said. I mean you have an equally valid argument to put up some cardboard sign reading "God is dead", but the State reps are going to look a lot more hypocritical when they finagle a way to block an actual bronze statue depicting a religious figure from the Capitol.

They're just going to overturn the law while lamenting the state society that this could happen blah blah blah.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Um. I don't see any plans to install Van de Graaff generators in the fingertips?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Atheists should erect a statue of John Scopes. That would probably piss off way more people than even the church of satan statue would.

Nah. Go whole hog and put Chuck himself up there.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Let's say this goes to court. Does the ACLU support them and argue that if one religion is being shown all must be allowed, or oppose them and argue that no religious displays should be placed at the capitol?

A Winner is Jew posted:

The only right answer:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The ACLU has a pending case to remove the Commandments, if the case succeeds Baphomet will be removed as well. It's in the Vice article. There's a wrinkle in that they might get blocked from erecting it because of the pending case but that would be a double standard since the Ten Commandments remain.

zoux posted:

They're just going to overturn the law while lamenting the state society that this could happen blah blah blah.

And the Ten Commandments will be gone. Mission accomplished.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Let's say this goes to court. Does the ACLU support them and argue that if one religion is being shown all must be allowed, or oppose them and argue that no religious displays should be placed at the capitol?

The ACLU is currently fighting the issue in court in favor of its complete dismissal.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

It's not possible to troll Oklahoma too hard, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oklahoma is the only piece of land in the US so lovely the US government was willing to give most of it to the Indians.

You know the only reason that Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf of Mexico?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Rather tasteful for a troll, actually. Love it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

zoux posted:

The ACLU is currently fighting the issue in court in favor of its complete dismissal.

So Oklahoma is kind of caught between a rock and another rock, only the second rock is shaped like Satan

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Munkeymon posted:

It's not possible to troll Oklahoma too hard, though.
No, but there's few things better than a statue of Satan in the Oklahoma state courthouse. No atheist statue will compare for sheer trolling power.

EDIT: Holy poo poo the Satanic Temple is selling these shirts which have to (have to) be worn to any dedication ceremony in Oklahoma

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If this Satan thing doesn't shake out (even though it's hilarious) I wonder if any Muslim groups would be willing to put up some iconography? That would be the only thing to compete with Satanism with respect to trolling value.

• Locked thread