Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

I'm pretty that was the domain admin account in my Microsoft classes. Is your client Contoso?

I make sure that all of the credentials for my networking devices are ciscopress / ciscopress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
loving Lotus Notes and Stupid Business DecisionsTM.

I have a user with two local-only LN databases, archives of old email that are subject to a litigation hold. One of them is giving a "you are not authorized to access this database" error, the other is throwing "RVV bucket is corrupt." I've passed the issue onto the worthless Lotus Notes administrator to take care of after running fixup, compact and updall didn't do anything.

Her response? "Please send me the names and server paths to the databases and I'll send her a new link to the database."

This is going to end up coming down to me, just like last time something like this happened (corrupt ID file with no backup in the ID vault, byebye all access to old databases), that there's nothing the LN Administrator can do and the stuff is permanently inaccessible.

I've been digging around for tools to strip access protection off the non-corrupted database since it's not encrypted, just access restricted, and coming up with pretty much bunk. I'm pretty sure the corrupted database is completely hosed since fixup wouldn't even read it.

The Stupid Business Decisions comes in from someone thinking it's a great idea to 1) not convert existing LN email over to exchange so we can dump LN completely and 2) allowing people to archive email in local databases while at the same time not keeping it permanently available on the server.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

They seriously fired a guy over that? Was this exchange happening during a board meeting or something?

Worse. We had potential clients visiting, one was pregnant, and they decided against purchasing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sfwarlock posted:

Worse. We had potential clients visiting, one was pregnant, and they decided against purchasing.

Talk about loving ballsy!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

Holy poo poo okay, I get why he was fired then.

I was thinking just internal guys popping jokes around the water cooler or something.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Sadly its not that complex. It was p@ssw0rd. Ive already put in a ticket recommending we change it.

The exact password Microsoft use in all their educational materials? I'm impressed.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

The exact password Microsoft use in all their educational materials? I'm impressed.

So it's Microsoft's fault then.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

sfwarlock posted:

Maybe he wanted to quit but didn't want to deal with the hassle of putting in his two weeks.

Suicide by HR

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pr0digal posted:

Maybe he wanted to quit but didn't want to deal with the hassle of putting in his two weeks.

Suicide by HR
You might be onto something. He might have figured out a way to force unemployment benefits.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

What is this person's job?

A cashier/shelf stocker type of job, not a C level or anything. :v:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

I work for a copier company and some of the networks I see are...well I've learned some things.

For instance, how to confuse the poo poo out of a Canon copier:

- Have no server to scan to, and set up Scan to Folder via hostname.

- Set every computer on the network the exact same hostname.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lareous posted:

I work for a copier company and some of the networks I see are...well I've learned some things.

For instance, how to confuse the poo poo out of a Canon copier:

- Have no server to scan to, and set up Scan to Folder via hostname.

- Set every computer on the network the exact same hostname.

That doesn't sound so ba .... wait what ? :stare:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

jre posted:

That doesn't sound so ba .... wait what ? :stare:

Apparently the client (a small maybe 4-5 machine outfit) got all the computers at the same time and she just named them all the same thing during setup.

I was wondering why nothing would scan until I went to a second machine to try it out and went "wwaaaaaait a second".

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lareous posted:

Apparently the client (a small maybe 4-5 machine outfit) got all the computers at the same time and she just named them all the same thing during setup.

I was wondering why nothing would scan until I went to a second machine to try it out and went "wwaaaaaait a second".

Your client has bigger problems than just copying, then...

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yeah until I renamed them basically nothing worked, printing, scanning, folder shares, anything that required a network.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Lareous posted:

... and she just named them all the same thing during setup.

What did she name them. Please tell me it was something like "Bob".

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I sounds like copying was not a problem there. :colbert:

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

What did she name them. Please tell me it was something like "Bob".

Close, it was 'BusinessName-PC'.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJP posted:

... for a Geekatoo job; I pick up what I can to earn some extra spending $$ to buy stuff since the wife is on unpaid disability.

Textbook malware cleanup and removal, all remote work, took care of her over three hours. A lot of it was the initial call and the client talking... a lot... about how every tech support service had screwed her over.

I fix things up, tell her what I did, shoot over a summary email, and mark the case closed. Next step, wait for her to agree it's closed and Geekatoo sends me the $$.

It was $91 for the job - bit of a low hourly rate - but I did it all on my rear end on the couch while watching a documentary on the MiG-25.

She left a review:

:unsmith:

Kinda felt good for once.

Clients and customers like that are the best - I've got 2 right now that absolutely refuse to work with anyone else but me and the guy I'm partnered with. One of them sent an email to my boss praising me for my work, always willing to help regardless of the problem, being polite, pleasant and fun to talk with, and overall being a "night and day improvement" over the guy whose place I took over. One of the best things is seeing people light up when you actually treat them like a PERSON and don't just walk in, fix something and walk out - the little conversations and jokes make everything WAY more fun and people appreciate that you're not just doing the break-fix robotic routine.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I work for a gov agency whose help desk is slowly getting contracted out. I'm pretty much the person all the remote staff knows - they keep buying me beer at the meets.

I refuse after the first one. I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, guys.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GreenNight posted:

I'm pretty that was the domain admin account in my Microsoft classes. Is your client Contoso?

Do you know Ellen?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MJP posted:

... for a Geekatoo job; I pick up what I can to earn some extra spending $$ to buy stuff since the wife is on unpaid disability.

Textbook malware cleanup and removal, all remote work, took care of her over three hours. A lot of it was the initial call and the client talking... a lot... about how every tech support service had screwed her over.

I fix things up, tell her what I did, shoot over a summary email, and mark the case closed. Next step, wait for her to agree it's closed and Geekatoo sends me the $$.

It was $91 for the job - bit of a low hourly rate - but I did it all on my rear end on the couch while watching a documentary on the MiG-25.

She left a review:

:unsmith:

Kinda felt good for once.

Sweet deal

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Early morning. My 2nd call of the day is a woman who sounded like she was having a panic attack saying "sorry i'll call you back" and hurriedly hanging up.

What the gently caress :stare:

E: Nevermind, she'd just been for a run and decided to call before she got her breath back. Ah well, that's not as interesting.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 2, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

m.hache posted:

So it's Microsoft's fault then.

Why did you tell Microsoft about your domain admin password, blackswordca?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nothing like getting a phone call while you are still laying in bed to tell you ":supaburn: the network is down!"

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Nothing like getting a phone call while you are still laying in bed to tell you ":supaburn: the network is down!"

But is the network actually down or did someone just forget their password?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozz81 posted:

One of the best things is seeing people light up when you actually treat them like a PERSON and don't just walk in, fix something and walk out - the little conversations and jokes make everything WAY more fun and people appreciate that you're not just doing the break-fix robotic routine.

Apparently I was being too candid with the owner of a small business when upgrading his CAD software. I had just been assigned to this client so I was trying to build a rapport so they feel confident working with me instead of the account lead. Install goes smoothly and I call the owner so we can open the software and make sure everything works. Program opens with a ton of errors about missing files. Path points to a user profile I don't recognize on a computer that doesn't exist on their network.

Confused and in the middle of a normal conversation with the guy I utter "wait... What in the world? What is this sh.. garbage?"

The guy laughed for a full 5 minutes at the thought of his IT tech saying something like that. Apparently the account lead had been very serious and to the point. Either way the client loves working with me now and even told my boss about how I made his day with that comment.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Nothing like getting a phone call while you are still laying in bed to tell you ":supaburn: the internet is down!"

Fixed that for you to take care of 1) people forgetting to turn their router on, and 2) people who misplaced their desktop icon

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

J posted:

But is the network actually down or did someone just forget their password?

It was actually down. Our ISP was doing some kind of maintenance and took down everything. Yay!

At least now I know I possess the skill to take a shower and become fully clothed and vaguely presentable in under 10 minutes.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The main question is why you don't filter your incoming calls when you're in bed.

Personally I just leave the phone in another room, but I'm aware that not everyone has that option.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Crowley posted:

The main question is why you don't filter your incoming calls when you're in bed.

Personally I just leave the phone in another room, but I'm aware that not everyone has that option.

I'm on call right now, my only coworker is out of the state, and my boss has a hideous illness at the moment so if anything IT goes tits up I'm literally the only one who can resolve it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Some of these callers... makes me want to punch myself in the face. I came here to post about it but I don't even know where to begin.

:byodame: I need to know when my harddrive was manufactured. No, not my hard drive. My CPU. You know. MY DESK-TOP. GOD DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT A HARD DRIVE-CPU-DESK-TOP IS? IT'S BIG IT'S HEAVY IT'S BLACK AND YOU STICK DISKS INTO THEM. THEY'RE ON ALL THE DESKS.

:eng101: oh you mean your computer

(hear a coworker begin to tell her she doesn't need that information and he can tell her where to find exactly what she's looking for)

:byodame: No. I'm the team lead. I can do this myself.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Team lead = person too dumb to realise they're doing the manager's grunt work for them, in addition to their regular work, for no extra pay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our team leads here get 5% salary bump.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Our team leads here get 5% salary bump.

I bet its worth the extra workload and responsibility.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

I bet its worth the extra workload and responsibility.

Of course not, that's why its a swinging door. Of course there would be zero people doing it if it wasn't for the salary bump.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CommanderApaul posted:

The Stupid Business Decisions comes in from someone thinking it's a great idea to 1) not convert existing LN email over to exchange so we can dump LN completely and 2) allowing people to archive email in local databases while at the same time not keeping it permanently available on the server.

We do number 2 at my job as well. It's loving retarded and at least once a month I have to tell someone their 10gb lotus notes archive is gone forever because the encryption is hosed and we don't have a backup. The fact that the legal department needs it will not change this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Of course not, that's why its a swinging door. Of course there would be zero people doing it if it wasn't for the salary bump.

Just like lum was trying to point it, its a trap that people fall for all the time.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A Fire Came In...

Or "Something's burning", means sit at your desks and don't investigate the burning smell. I wandered into the kitchen to investigate and found a rather fat Pita in the toaster oven that had burst into flames. I'm suprised that we are allowed to have a toaster oven at all.

Of course it was one of the business owners that did it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

quote:

A security flaw in Internet Explorer was discovered last week - Microsoft has released a patch for this flaw.
IT operations staff is applying this patch to their local machines to ensure it does not impact other applications.
Once determined IT will send notification for all users to download and apply the patch.

Our IT department :allears:

• Locked thread