Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I picked up the TR-8 last week on a whim and have been banging around with it for a few days. Overall I'm not really impressed. I kind of bought it as a stop gap to picking up a full on 909, and its not doing the trick. The samples feel 'safe' and pretty basic - without much control over them. Reverb and decay are implemented in a strange steppy way that has global effects. The scatter is loving retarded. It should simply be a beat repeat or a grain stretcher.. instead its trying to be both and just sounds like garbage. I really wish I could distort or push the box harder but it just feels like a very closed system. I'll probably dump it soon as I really feel an iPad running Gadget is FAR superior as a drum sequencer.

Oh the plus side, Vortex keytars are 99 bucks and loving rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
So, jamming with syths...

I went ahead and ordered a minibrute--it should be here today! Next step is learning how to make musical bleeps and bloops. After I can (barely) do that I'm going to want to roll over to my buddies house and get our jam on. Generally I'll be playing with other guitarist as all anybody seems to play is guitar. No problem, I can fill other roles easily enough with a synth but I'd like to figure out some way to record a loop, dial in a new texture and then layer something else on top. In theory I could just use my ditto pedal but I'd like to have the ability to solo/mute some loops as well as getting getting several loops in and then revisiting the earlier bass loop to make changes, etc...

Is there a good hardware solution for this? I'd prefer to not the laptop as a requirement if possible. This Kaoss Pad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkeBOcC-AQ) seems like it might work but I'm not certain and I wonder if there is something better or more appropriate? None of the stores in my area stock this thing so I can't really get a hands on.

What do you guys use in your jams? Seems like this is a problem that should have numerous solutions but I'm pretty clueless.

EDIT:
Also that thing seems kind of spendy and I don't really need all the integrated effects (I think).

Bolange fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 1, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
From an instrument-agnostic standpoint, you're looking for a loop station.

edit: I guess that's the Boss name for the product type. Perhaps it's called a looper? In any event, I can't find something inexpensive that fits your bill. Anything multi-track is $500+.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 1, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Only the big loop station will let you drop out individual takes, afaik, and they're all more than the KP. You could get wacky with something like an SU700, those are cheap, but overly large and awkward to use.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Worked with one of the MKS-80s a bit last night. Reflections:

• This is the one where SynthSpa babysat it for 9 months without fixing it and then sent it back minus the rack ears. I just took the rack ears off the MKS-30, since that one's currently broken.
  • The thing is noisy as poo poo, actually both of mine are. I think it's why they offer balanced XLR outs in addition to the standard TS unbalanced. It doesn't get rid of the noise, but you at least get a hotter signal out of it. Gonna slap a noise gate on every track of the song I'm recording with it.
  • The MKS-80 has to have the worst bank of presets ever designed on a commercial synthesizer. Very little variety, and a lot of just plain useless, ugly sounds. (My song will only use original patches.)
  • I have it set in U/L mode, where the upper and lower boards each use their own mono outputs. Running them into the DAW as a single stereo channel so I can use detuning for width. Judging by the presets, this seems to be a common use. Many of the patches use virtually the same tone for the U/L layers.
  • On the plus side, this thing has the gnarliest bass I've ever heard come out of a synthesizer. I don't understand how it works; I can't get this kind of phatness out of a plugin, and I don't understand why.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Is there a good hardware solution for this? I'd prefer to not the laptop as a requirement if possible.

I think a vox lil looper will do what you are describing. It can record 2 seperate 90 second loops which you can drop either one in and out at will. They also sync together so it will come back in the original time no matter when you bring another loop in or out. The downside is the box is ugly and plastic, has mostly useless built in effects, and you can't store loops in memory like the digitech xt loopers. Still pretty solid because I don't think any other looper in it's price range will do 2 independent loops at once.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Bolange posted:

In theory I could just use my ditto pedal but I'd like to have the ability to solo/mute some loops as well as getting getting several loops in and then revisiting the earlier bass loop to make changes, etc...

If you have an iPad, you could get a cheap USB audio interface and the Loopy HD app. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like it would do those things.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

So....

There's this new Future Music studio tour with Celldweller. If you're a modular nerd you might go crazy at his setup. I went crazy because he has an Arpie and apparently it's the one I built and sold off a few months ago! I spotted the battery color at first (a white RiteAid 9v) and it got me wondering, but then I checked out this Vine and it's definitely mine, right down to the brown flux peppered around the header connector: https://vine.co/v/Mh9B2xieEwq

Just watched this and man does he have a huge setup. What I liked the most about it oddly enough was just how neat and logical all of the routing and patching for this huge setup is. Really impressed with that.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
What would you guys rate as the WORST synth of ALL TIME?

You can only pick one. But don't just poo poo on a synth because alot of people like it, you don't, and you resent that. For example you may not enjoy the Microkorg and find it's interface annoying but come on it's still an MS-2000, used alot in music, so be realistic it's not the "worst synth of all time". And neither is the Minibrute, as only a small percentage have been complaining about those keyboard issues and power failures, but most people have yet to break theirs and it's pretty popular for a reason.

I'm talking a synth that fails on multiple levels...

- Bad interface
- Bad sound
- Bad build quality
- Bad presets

What synth would you nominate?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That is a question that should not be asked. If it makes noises electronically and it can be patched, then it is a synth. All synths have redeeming qualities.

Interface: Case in point, Casio HT-700. At first glance, terrible. Single data encoder and a sort of cumbersome, menuless data structure presented on a, like, 4 character lcd. But, there's not a ton of depth to the synth (there's not really a ton of depth to a polysix or a minimoog either) so the setup is oddly adequate for navigating the parameters that it does have to edit. When it was made, it was probably as close to cost efficient as a design could be. So, it's still sort of an engineering feat.
Quadrasynths are great, but they're practically uneditable, unless you plug them into a computer. You're really supposed to plug them into a computer, they come with serial ports.
As, maybe, a better example: I doubt anyone called the RCA mark II easy to program.
Bad Sound: Subjective.
Build quality: This is legitimate. You could ask "what synth had the worst build quality" and come up with a sensible answer. The problem is, there is at least one otherwise fine synth that had build problems. Fizmo :( . Also, build quality is, like interface design, cost restricted. You could build a synth like a tank, but it would be expensive and difficult to transport.
Bad presets: The goddamn raison d'etre of synthesis is making your own sounds.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I would like to rescind my previous post about the scatter function on the TB-3. On further noodling, I have realized that I managed to generate the only two patterns that don't sound like absolute dogshit with scatter.

Sizone posted:

That is a question that should not be asked. If it makes noises electronically and it can be patched, then it is a synth. All synths have redeeming qualities.

By this logic the Microkorg isn't a synth.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would like to rescind my previous post about the scatter function on the TB-3. On further noodling, I have realized that I managed to generate the only two patterns that don't sound like absolute dogshit with scatter.

The universe makes sense again.

I wouldn't necessarily claim it's the worst synth ever but I owned (still do, although it's sitting under my bed somewhere untouched) the Korg MicroX, which was a mini version of the X50, or a stripped down Triton. I mainly hated it because of the build quality. It's a total piece of plastic poo poo and the power jack eventually became so loose that the cable falls out any time you nudge it. The screen is an awful nauseating bright red, it has a crappy joystick instead of mod and pitch wheels, and the presets are drowned in this ridiculous metallic reverb. As mentioned a couple of pages ago, I recently bought the M1 VST so I'm obviously not inherently opposed to cheesy PCM samples, but it was difficult to make this thing sound decent. Has Korg ever done a usable built-in reverb? I had better results using the Microkorg's delay for pseudo-reverb than whatever the MicroX's was meant to be.

What I'm saying is don't buy things with a Micro prefix.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm so happy, I just found the source of my favourite N64/GC music :neckbeard: (gently caress the haters, I love that faux-orchestral sound). Turns out pretty much all of it is the E-mu Proteus 2 Orchestral (and World for some tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9LZHLdF78
I mean.. just listen to it! Just the first minute goes Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, Wind Waker :allears:

Now to decide whether I want to spend $20 on an 8 MB soundfont... https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/node/57

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta be honest, half of the reason I'm rompler hunting is for pizzicato and tremolo strings. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent unit at a reasonable price, though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In a stunning turn of developments I bought something. More details once I have it in my hands!

e: Realized that's a poo poo post. I got a Machinedrum ! Really excited for this and will give a full trip report when I get it and mess with it for a while.

net work error fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 2, 2014

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

net work error posted:

In a stunning turn of developments I bought something. More details once I have it in my hands!

e: Realized that's a poo poo post. I got a Machinedrum ! Really excited for this and will give a full trip report when I get it and mess with it for a while.

Oh awesome, if I ever find a bag of money that's first on my list. Did you go for the sampling option?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

Gotta be honest, half of the reason I'm rompler hunting is for pizzicato and tremolo strings. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent unit at a reasonable price, though.

S4 Pluses are cheap these days, or look at the half rack stuff- JV1010, X5RW, TG100/MUs.

net work error posted:

Bring da oontz. EFM-BD 4life. Don't forget you can assign LFOs to other channels. Also cop this 808 kit it's pretty nice for not using samples.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Sizone posted:

Fair enough...

I'm buying you a DX-27 for your birthday. And I fully expect you to put it to use.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

david mammoth posted:

Oh awesome, if I ever find a bag of money that's first on my list. Did you go for the sampling option?

No it's an SPS1-MK2 that I got a good deal on used.

Startyde posted:

Bring da oontz. EFM-BD 4life. Don't forget you can assign LFOs to other channels. Also cop this 808 kit it's pretty nice for not using samples.

Sweet. Daren is always really smart from his posts that I read on Muffs.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I couldn't wait.

Too bad I still gotta work. I'm right here staring at the things, but can't touch 'em yet.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

sliderule posted:

80s Rolands, 90s Yamahas can be had fairly cheap!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Cleaner posted:

Fair enough...

I'm buying you a DX-27 for your birthday. And I fully expect you to put it to use.

Make it a dx-100 and that would make me totally happy. You can either be two weeks belated or start prepping for next year.

edit: waffle, your inability to patch a synth does not make that synth unpatchable.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 3, 2014

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The worst synth is my eurorack because no matter how much I spend on it and how many hours I waste carefully crafting gorgeous patches I just end up using abletons native instruments for everything anyways.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
The worst synth is the TB-303, it doesn't sound like a bass guitar at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I traded pedals with a guy on Craigslist last night and got a Wattson EFY-6 out of it, which is my first ever fuzz pedal.

Here's a quick demo I made of it used on my SH-201 in case y'all wanna hear what it sounds like. (Even the bass has been fuzzed out!)

Also I'm planning on buying a Mininova within the next few days and I've been watching more YouTube videos on it and getting even more hyped about it. I can't wait to test out all the sounds and then test them out again WITH FUZZ :science:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Has anyone tried either of those MIDI Vampire things? They are so cute god drat

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

What's this hating on the '27? Shameful.

Mr. Sharps posted:

The worst synth is my eurorack

same

Radiapathy posted:

I couldn't wait.

quote:

Changes since V1.13:
* Pulse 2 polychain mode
:hellyeah: Any idea if this will chain with the original? I haven't seen mention of that.

Worst synth I've ever used was probably the K150FS. In theory, one of the more powerful hardware additives. Software programmer even supported resynthesis which was a neat trick that took a while on a ][. In reality it had an awful low pass filter strapped across the outs to prevent wild squealing and artifacts, made everything sort of samey. I could never get anything I was happy with out of it. Some bells weren't bad in the lower registers but again just blah as you went up the scale. It really needed to be built ~a decade later than it was but oh well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Cleaner posted:

What would you guys rate as the WORST synth of ALL TIME?

You can only pick one. But don't just poo poo on a synth because alot of people like it, you don't, and you resent that. For example you may not enjoy the Microkorg and find it's interface annoying but come on it's still an MS-2000, used alot in music, so be realistic it's not the "worst synth of all time". And neither is the Minibrute, as only a small percentage have been complaining about those keyboard issues and power failures, but most people have yet to break theirs and it's pretty popular for a reason.

I'm talking a synth that fails on multiple levels...

- Bad interface
- Bad sound
- Bad build quality
- Bad presets

What synth would you nominate?

The Alesis Quadrasynth.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Number Two Stunna posted:

Pretty sure you should go die.

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

Number Two Stunna posted:

heh! yeah.

but dat acid tho...

It's funny how something that was basically a huge flop becomes one of the most iconic electronic instruments ever.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SableDoux posted:

heh! yeah.

but dat acid tho...

It's funny how something that was basically a huge flop becomes one of the most iconic electronic instruments ever.

By that metric the Aria stuff should revolutionize electronic music in 10 years.

SableDoux
Apr 26, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

By that metric the Aria stuff should revolutionize electronic music in 10 years.

Heh. Aria stuff is gross.

But... well just have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was at Guitar Center the other day and there was a TR-08 out, but it wasn't plugged in so I didn't get to hear it. The step buttons are real loving clicky, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I'm so happy, I just found the source of my favourite N64/GC music :neckbeard: (gently caress the haters, I love that faux-orchestral sound). Turns out pretty much all of it is the E-mu Proteus 2 Orchestral (and World for some tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9LZHLdF78
I mean.. just listen to it! Just the first minute goes Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, Wind Waker :allears:

Now to decide whether I want to spend $20 on an 8 MB soundfont... https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/node/57

Update on this, I caved in and bought the Proteus 1/2/3, Orbit, Planet Phatt pack. ALL the cheesy old samples :3:

Had to give it a spin:
http://tindeck.com/listen/gokf

Now I just need to find a working soundfont VST. Any tips on that?
Cakewalk SFZ+ doesn't really work on a multi-core CPU (:negative:), and using Ableton's Sampler is a hassle since it has to import each and every sound and convert it to its own format, in addition to the fact that I won't be able to use it once I make the switch to Bitwig.

So yeah, just looking for a VST that can browse and play a soundfont. Not really interested in included filters and stuff, I have plenty of those already.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

VstSynthfont works adequately for me, but it's another 32 bit affair.

Now I see ShortCircuit has SF2 support to, so I don't know why I'm not just using that. Again, 32 bit, sorry.

These things potentially might work in Bitwig.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If you can still hunt it down the free version of Highlife was great for soundfonts. Very capable sampler, supports a number of formats. It's turned commercial again in the current incarnation, haven't used that version.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Updating with TX16Wx, which has a 64 bit version. Haven't used it yet, but it looks like the sort of thing.

e.: It loads programs individually instead of the whole soundfont, which I guess is what you didn't like about the Ableton sampler.

It also doesn't seem to interpret amplitude envelope release times correctly; makes the very short.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 4, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Your Computer posted:

Update on this, I caved in and bought the Proteus 1/2/3, Orbit, Planet Phatt pack. ALL the cheesy old samples :3:

Had to give it a spin:
http://tindeck.com/listen/gokf

Cakewalk SFZ+ doesn't really work on a multi-core CPU (:negative:), and using Ableton's Sampler is a hassle since it has to import each and every sound and convert it to its own format, in addition to the fact that I won't be able to use it once I make the switch to Bitwig.

So yeah, just looking for a VST that can browse and play a soundfont. Not really interested in included filters and stuff, I have plenty of those already.

Aww man, just totally made me nostalgic for my Orbit V2. Actually the first rackmount device I ever bought new, way back in the day. :3:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Check out Plogue sforzando, it's a free SFZ player that supports most formats (vst, au, rtas, standalone), in both 32-bit and 64-bit Mac and PC.

http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62kISpCN9Y

Not used it (or any SFZ player) personally, but Plogue makes bad-rear end stuff, so that's the first thing I'd try.

EDIT: That sample pack looks rad as hell, BTW.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

VstSynthfont works adequately for me, but it's another 32 bit affair.

Now I see ShortCircuit has SF2 support to, so I don't know why I'm not just using that. Again, 32 bit, sorry.

These things potentially might work in Bitwig.

First one doesn't work, second one has a very clunky way of loading sounds..

Startyde posted:

If you can still hunt it down the free version of Highlife was great for soundfonts.

Doesn't work.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Updating with TX16Wx, which has a 64 bit version.

Works, but requires buying to use ADSR (?!)

I've also tried:
Phenome - doesn't work piece of poo poo
DSK SF2 - doesn't work
Jeskola XS-1 - works but does weird things like not keeping timing and dropping notes.

(Note: When I say doesn't work I mean that they won't load the soundfont properly. They only load the first sound.)

I also tried converting some stuff with Ableton's Sampler, but it seems to completely ignore and drop any envelopes, so every sound has 0 attack and 0 release.

Cakewalk's SFZ (the basic one without any editing) seems to have a version that supports multicore CPU's, at least.

It shouldn't be this hard to just use some soundfont files :(

e: Tried sforzando as suggested above, it doesn't work properly either..
e2: I saw someone somewhere suggest Native Instruments Kontakt; Maybe I should drop $550 on a player for the $40 .sf2 files I bought :haw:

e3: An update, it seems some of these actually work. I just tried DSK SF2 again, this time using the soundfonts that aren't Proteus 2/Orchestral and they worked. Just my luck that the soundfont I'm most interested in breaks 90% of the SF-players, eh?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2014