Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

That thread title... ouch.

I'm predicting the next terrible car trend is WAY overstyled LED DRLs. In my area I am sick of seeing Acura and Lexus cars, since they seem to be the ones with the most noticably obnoxious LED DRLs, but yesterday I had a new Jaguar XF in my rear view mirror and I did a mental pity facepalm for the trying-too-hard overstyling:

Heh, I get it. The LEDs are supposed to look like whiskers. Still loving dumb, and that's the sort of twee poo poo I would expect to see on a Beetle or Mini, not a goddamn luxury sports sedan.

I am also in the "gently caress LED DRLs" department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I love the LED DRLs on my S4. :colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

I'm predicting the next terrible car trend is WAY overstyled LED DRLs. In my area I am sick of seeing Acura and Lexus cars, since they seem to be the ones with the most noticably obnoxious LED DRLs, but yesterday I had a new Jaguar XF in my rear view mirror and I did a mental pity facepalm for the trying-too-hard overstyling:

This poo poo is going to get old in a hurry. It's staring to look like a long-exposure photo where people are running around randomly with lights.

Also, new Acura MDXs with LED headlights are obnoxious when you're swept by them, too.

This post brought to you by an obviously grump old man. Give me back my T3s, damnit.

What I don't understand is why the LEDs go out when the blinker comes on. Every single car I've seen with LED DRLs kills them when the blinker starts. It looks completely stupid to have a bright-rear end DRL on one side and not on the other. Would it really be that hard to keep them on?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Jingle Jaaaaag

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I hate LED lights much, much less than I hate these:

loving halogens.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DropShadow posted:

I love the LED DRLs on my S4. :colbert:

Audi used to be over the top, now they're one of the more tame with the LED DRLs. I changed my incandescent halo lighting to LED on my BMW, so I'm not completely anti-LED, but there's a tangible limit to their area and brightness that some manufacturers are already surpassing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What I don't understand is why the LEDs go out when the blinker comes on. Every single car I've seen with LED DRLs kills them when the blinker starts. It looks completely stupid to have a bright-rear end DRL on one side and not on the other. Would it really be that hard to keep them on?

I'd bet it's intentional to improve visibility of the blinker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

It is. Doesn't make the effect look any less ridiculous, though. Now you just notice the nice car whose lighting is all hosed up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It is. Doesn't make the effect look any less ridiculous, though. Now you just notice the nice car whose lighting is all hosed up.

No such thing as bad publicity. :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The "LED Retrofit" phase that was popular for like 2 years pissed me off something fierce.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

No such thing as bad publicity. :v:

The goddamn truth on the roads these days. Anything that makes another motorist look up from their game of Angry Birds to actually acknowledge the existence of my vehicle is a good thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If a group of crows is a murder and a group of fish a school, does that make that photo a Mensa of Smarts?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure it is a smug of smarts.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
If they're going to the crusher or to be sunk in the ocean as artificial reef material, it's awesome. Seriously the most miserably, offensively awful vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to drive.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Those are Car2Gos.

The urban car sharing company that Daimler founded to use their overstock of lovely Smart cars.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

This poo poo is going to get old in a hurry. It's staring to look like a long-exposure photo where people are running around randomly with lights.

Also, new Acura MDXs with LED headlights are obnoxious when you're swept by them, too.

This post brought to you by an obviously grump old man. Give me back my T3s, damnit.

I took this photo haha. Never expected it to show up here.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Does this belong here?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

c355n4 posted:

Does this belong here?

Business car for rodent killers "Truly Nolan".

You can even buy one of your own.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 2, 2014

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Residents of central NJ already know her, but for the uninitiated, here's one of our local treasures, Miss Superbowl/World Series/America/etc, Sondra Fortunado

There's crazy, and then there's "signs all over their car" crazy

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's "I'm going to stalk Sondra Fortunado" crazy, so I'm mildly surprised it's her car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Captain Trips posted:

I hate LED lights much, much less than I hate these:

loving halogens. HIDs.

Halogens are the standard wire-filament bulbs we've had since forever, HID/arc lamps are the ones that are fuckoff bright and spray light everywhere since the reflector shape is wrong.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

It is, and LED "wink" is one of the first things I code out of a new Audi when I get one.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure it is a smug of smarts.

A whiff of smarts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A fart of smarts.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a lack of Smarts

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

Speaking of which: terrible car stuff = rockauto shipping these days. EIGHT WAREHOUSES WHAT THE gently caress (and I tried to minimize it, too.)

This is way worse when you live in Canada because theres 8 warehouses plus some parts that can randomly ship from a few mysterious Canadian warehouses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

There aren't enough hours in the day to watch this on repeat.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

enojy posted:

There aren't enough hours in the day to watch this on repeat.

Now if only there was audio.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e65_1397351213
You're welcome!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

My life was complete until someone screamed "epic fail", video is now ruined, back to looking at the .gif.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I actually wanted to include a warning about that, but really, what did you expect from the people involved in that?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
This is terrible car stuff:

http://m.fastcar.co.uk/2014/05/02/10-worst-subaru-impreza-replicas

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Two or three of the bland sedans are kinda lame but most of those are pretty cool. The kei truck especially.

E: vvv Ok, well, I like the Fiat 126 too

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 2, 2014

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The first two are dope as poo poo, by the rest are just awful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The 1st, 2nd and 4th are awesome.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Fucknag posted:

Well, white smoke is generally a sign of water in the combustion chamber/exhaust, so either a head gasket or it had been driving gently til then and revving boiled/blew out the accumulated condensation from overnight.

And given they're made by BMW (GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM), well...
Oh no, it's worse than that: the gearbox is from Citroen via British Leyland and the engine is from Chrysler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What is this?