Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

:10bux: Subscription paid, right here. Besides, if Peter Jackson has his way, the Nazgul would be riding all black Tuono V4R's.

At risk of derailing into more gun chat, I had a humorous "argument" with my wife about buying a gun safe a few years ago. Her father is a hunter / sport shooter and just leaves his weapons lying around the house and my wife is very comfortable around firearms, having accompanied her dad while hunting as a kid. Since military drilled safe storage into my head, I was telling her that I was getting a gun safe because although my firearms are unloaded and cased, I wanted something more secure. The discussion devolved into her asking me what the big deal was and me arguing for more security. Finally after 20 minutes or so of going around, I asked her, "Wait a minute, shouldn't we be having this argument in reverse?"

On somewhat sadder note, an ex-girlfriend, years after we broke up, had someone attempt to rape her in her house. (Neighbors intervened and thankfully stopped it). Before the incident, she was like the people mentioned in earlier posts, couldn't get her head around firearms ownership and therefore was against it entirely. After the incident, she did a 180 on firearms ownership and was looking to get her CCW, etc. etc.

Z3n posted:

Post moments from today's commute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILnKm_9_fM

There's no way my R bike could fit in that tight space. Wow.

And ditto on the free GT750.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

No, he quit when he became a father, blah blah blah because it's selfish to ride when you have kids,

I don't have kids but have thought about whether I'd give up riding if I do end up having some. I understand you can't just stop living your life, but how do you rationalize the extra risk?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

It's one thing to blip the throttle. It's another thing entirely to blip the throttle when you have a 110+dB freedom hawg exhaust.

I like to call it a Jardine, AND IT SOUNDS LIKE THUNDER. Go big or go home, kids.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Everything has a risk to it. Don't ride like a dumbass. Don't ride after drinking. Wear more protective gear. Don't let your kids play football.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I started riding after I already had 4 kids. My wife never strongly objected, but my mom was a different story.

She wanted me to teach her how to ride, and she did pretty well on her first lesson, actually.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:stare:

The GT750 is awesome. You are the biggest idiot if you say no to that.

I didn't know what a GT750 looked like, so I googled it. This was the first result.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/J79Jp4L.jpg

I'm sold. I'll take two please.

captainOrbital posted:

I started riding after I already had 4 kids. My wife never strongly objected, but my mom was a different story.

She wanted me to teach her how to ride, and she did pretty well on her first lesson, actually.

Your mom owns.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know what a GT750 looked like, so I googled it. This was the first result.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/J79Jp4L.jpg

I'm sold. I'll take two please.

Your mom owns.

I'll ask if she comes with it and if she's still ridable.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Your mom owns.

Yeah, she's pretty fun in her dotage. :keke:

My brother, who will officially graduate from medical school in a week or so, told me, "That is crazy! You're crazy." And then he went on to say, "That is so cool; you've wanted to do that since we were kids!"

Foreigners.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Can't say no to a GT750.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

as the implication was that one, I had nothing to live for

And you didn't show them your Live To Ride, Ride To Live tattoo?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Free GT750 = wrong thread, holy poo poo. You need this like you need your organs.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hot sauce posted:

I don't have kids but have thought about whether I'd give up riding if I do end up having some. I understand you can't just stop living your life, but how do you rationalize the extra risk?

By being a cool dad :c00lbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Fuuuuck! Goddamn penndot! How big of a problem is this? It's still holding a bead, and it was probably a month ago that it happened. I haven't been riding much so I just noticed it now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How high did you bounce when that happened

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

How high did you bounce when that happened

Riding on Eastern Pennsylvania roads is like sailing blind in a hurricane on the high seas so I didn't even notice during my usual trials course of a commute.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

You could be killed by a drink driver on the same roads driving in a car.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Fuuuuck! Goddamn penndot! How big of a problem is this? It's still holding a bead, and it was probably a month ago that it happened. I haven't been riding much so I just noticed it now.

Are you losing pressure? If not, probably fine, although it wouldn't hurt to get it hammered back flat by a wheel repair shop.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Are you losing pressure? If not, probably fine, although it wouldn't hurt to get it hammered back flat by a wheel repair shop.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too but my local mechanic said I should get a new rim. I'm sure he wants the work mounting it though. Hopefully the local rim guys can do a motorcycle wheel.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Riding on Eastern Pennsylvania roads is like sailing blind in a hurricane on the high seas so I didn't even notice during my usual trials course of a commute.

As a Brit visiting PA as my first real taste of the USA, the state of the roads and infrastructure made me wonder if all America's posturing as the A Number One First-World Epitome of Civilisation had actually been an extremely elaborate and successful North-Korean-style propaganda exercise to lure foreign investment into the pockets of a despotic regime.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

As a Brit visiting PA as my first real taste of the USA, the state of the roads and infrastructure made me wonder if all America's posturing as the A Number One First-World Epitome of Civilisation had actually been an extremely elaborate and successful North-Korean-style propaganda exercise to lure foreign investment into the pockets of a despotic regime.

I'm pretty sure it is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Our only excuse is, we've got a lot of area to cover.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We have a ton of area to cover, combined with the decline of our infrastructure perfectly lining up with the ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ crowd that currently dominates our politics.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

To be fair, they are supporting the road salt industry of the world back there which decreases as you go west.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Driving around downtown San Diego or LA in anything less than a pickup is just asking for destroyed suspension components.
It's not so much the potholes, it's the earth moving all around under the roads along with about 40 years of deferred maintenance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's an adventure bike's intended purpose.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We have a ton of area to cover, combined with the decline of our infrastructure perfectly lining up with the ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ crowd that currently dominates our politics.

Bugdrvr posted:

Driving around downtown San Diego or LA in anything less than a pickup is just asking for destroyed suspension components.
It's not so much the potholes, it's the earth moving all around under the roads along with about 40 years of deferred maintenance.

Yes, Pennsylvania and California, stalwart bastions of the ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ crowd

Seriously Philly has the highest taxes of any non-bullshit city in the nation and you'd think the money goes to paying for field artillery to shell the major transportation arteries biweekly. Cali has the 4th highest of every state (LA adds plenty on top of that) and sure as gently caress not a red cent is being sent inland. And Cali doesn't even have the flimsy excuse of poo poo winter weather that NY/CT try to use to explain why their sky-high taxes can't keep the roads from resembling the surface of some distant, exotic planetoid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Road quality really varies by state and climate. Leave Penn and try Virginia or WV

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seriously Philly has the highest taxes of any non-bullshit city in the nation and you'd think the money goes to paying for field artillery to shell the major transportation arteries biweekly.

"Having the highest tax rate in the US" is like being tallest midget.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Well yeah, but we get none of that sweet midget blowjobs socialized services.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

And Cali doesn't even have the flimsy excuse of poo poo winter weather that NY/CT try to use to explain why their sky-high taxes can't keep the roads from resembling the surface of some distant, exotic planetoid.

Hey now; the very earth rolls and shakes constantly beneath our roads as they broil under the gaze of an unrepentant, angry sun.

God the roads suck. I regularly hit holes and bumps that would wipe me the gently caress out if I wasn't on a supermoto. I hit something in my E46 the other day that prompted me to get out and check my rim/control arms/etc.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hauled rear end to the DMV at noon, got plates and hauled rear end to my house. loving battery was dead.

So much for the first ride in years.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

Hauled rear end to the DMV at noon, got plates and hauled rear end to my house. loving battery was dead.

So much for the first ride in years.

Bump start the thing!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bump start the thing!

Charged the battery, pulled the melted LED lamp wiring off it and took a quickie out to the gas station.

Murderboner.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The Missouri DMV is a nightmare and it makes me want to commit minor fraud to keep my Kansas plates.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was riding around Denver today. gently caress the stock HD suspension. I need a chiropractor.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
They are adjustable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I don't know... Akion walked half the Appalachian Trail with a broken foot. If he says something is uncomfortable, I'm inclined to believe him.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Outside Dawg posted:

They are adjustable.

Yeah, I'm gonna futz with them, but there is no way it'll be enough to make it liveable.

Safety Dance posted:

I don't know... Akion walked half the Appalachian Trail with a broken foot. If he says something is uncomfortable, I'm inclined to believe him.

Ahhhh, memories. I was so tempted to go back this year and finish.

Motorcycle Talk: Just finished this 105 mile sorta-loop as a short "Welcome back to Colorado" ride.

Bike did well other than the aforementioned bumpiness. I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't on a bike that can handle a ton of lean angle a few times, and definitely managed to scrape the pegs/exhaust in a few turns. Got about 45 MPG, handled the highway at 70-75 pretty well, and was still fairly fun in the twisties for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Akion posted:

I was riding around Denver today. gently caress the stock HD suspension. I need a chiropractor.

CRUISERS ARE SO COMFORTABLE