Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Is it really Golden Week already? Either time flies as I'm getting older or they celebrate this week 3 times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Well, Golden Week is next week. The scans come out a week early and all that.

Also, it's the former. Time flies as you get older. It sucks.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Batmasterson posted:

Is it really Golden Week already? Either time flies as I'm getting older or they celebrate this week 3 times a year.

It's probably because you're thinking of the Christmas break as well.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
That and I think Bleach and Naruto took some extra breaks this year to "prepare" for wrapping up the series.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I bought the Aizen surviving Soi Fon thing because the way I was envisioning it was that he was on a different "plane" of power not necessarily just stronger at what he was doing. Sort of the whole "I can't sense his power" thing, and Ichigo went one level above that when he came back.

Sort of means they both were like incredibly stronger than anyone in the story now but w/e

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

I bought the Aizen surviving Soi Fon thing because the way I was envisioning it was that he was on a different "plane" of power not necessarily just stronger at what he was doing. Sort of the whole "I can't sense his power" thing, and Ichigo went one level above that when he came back.

Sort of means they both were like incredibly stronger than anyone in the story now but w/e
Yeah it was odd back then. When Ichi kicked Aizens rear end the way they were talking was like Ichigo was on another dimension of power. How that even works, I have no goddamn clue. As if he went Super Sayajin but instead of getting a 1000% power increase, he became a 4 dimensional entity instead of a 3 dimensional.

Makes about as much sense as... well, Bleach.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It was just an extension of the "I'm so strong nothing you do works". In their final forms, Aizen and Ichigo were ~so powerful~ that their spirit pressure was far beyond the comprehension of an ordinary being. Ichigo in particular bullshits his way into being so strong that not even Aizen could grasp him, which is what led to that "oh I see you converted all your power into physical strength :smug:" thing that confused so many people.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Which, I don't care if he is half Quincy or whatever the drat argument is, it's loving dumb that a guy who's been a shinigami for like a month can take a break in the hyperbolic time chamber for a while and become stronger than a Captain who's been here for thousands of years and also has a magic wish ball that makes him immortal and undefeatable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

Which, I don't care if he is half Quincy or whatever the drat argument is, it's loving dumb that a guy who's been a shinigami for like a month can take a break in the hyperbolic time chamber for a while and become stronger than a Captain who's been here for thousands of years and also has a magic wish ball that makes him immortal and undefeatable.

No, no he's a quarter nobility level Quincy, a quarter nobility level Shinigami, a quarter super science experiment Hollow, and a quarter Human which I'm sure is also somehow super awesome Humanity Go as well. Ichigo is the Kwisatz Haderach of Bleach.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Gyges posted:

No, no he's a quarter nobility level Quincy, a quarter nobility level Shinigami, a quarter super science experiment Hollow, and a quarter Human which I'm sure is also somehow super awesome Humanity Go as well. Ichigo is the Kwisatz Haderach of Bleach.

Don't forget the quarter fullbringer. I always do.

And yes, I realize that's 5 quarters. Sounds about right for Ichigo.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I thought it was reasonable given that it was supposed to be a last ditch effort to defeat Aizen which would end up sealing Ichigo's power. Of course Kubo wrote in a way for Ichigo to enter the fray again, but at the time it was fine. Also, not just anyone could do that because not just anyone could enter that dimension. Also also, Ichigo and Isshin just lucked out that the Dahaka or whatever was MIA.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gyges posted:

Ahhh, then that must make Urahara the Bene Gesserit of Bleach. We know him and his weirding ways.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fullbringers and Quincies aren't species, they're just a part of Ichigo's humanity. The whole thing goes something like:

Dad was a super Soul Reaper, Mom was a super Quincy with traces of a super Hollow. Genetically he's half ghost, half human, and qualifies for being a Fullbringer.
Turned into a Soul Reaper by Rukia, but his spiritual link to Ywach throttles his capabilities.
Ends up almost turning into a Hollow because Urahara is a dick. This awakens his Hollow side, and qualifies him for being a Vizard.
With the help of his dad, he combines his Quincy, Soul Reaper, and Hollow powers together and becomes bullshit strong. Then he just loses it because reasons.
His Fullbringer potential is realized and then forgotten.
Ywach comes around and forcefully awakens his Quincy potential.
After some more soul searching, Ichigo's Quincy side steps aside and lets his Soul Reaper/Hollow powers go.
Ichigo starts running down Snake Road.

Like most things in Bleach, it's not actually that complicated. It's just stupid.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It just bothers me that there was apparently some super secret technique to ascend past a level Aizen could even dream of (Final Getsuga) that is common enough to have a name but that nobody else could do. You'd figure some super intelligent scientist like Mayuri or Urahara would know of some such way, or somebody who's been a captain for ten million years like Kyoraku or Ukitake, or even, I dunno, a combination of the two like Aizen. And then apparently Isshin knows it exists and knows it by name, but presumably even he couldn't do it, since you'd think a guy who never uses his shinigami powers would rather lose his than have his son whom he knows loves being a shinigami lose those.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Final Getsuga wasn't what made Ichigo so powerful. It was just the finishing move he decided to use for no real reason.

I am constantly amazed at how people can be so confused about what happened at the end of Deicide. From people actually thinking Aizen was right when he claimed Ichigo just put all his power into physical strength (despite the fact Ichigo tells him he's wrong) to assuming the Final Getsuga was what made Ichigo so strong (despite the fact that Ichigo doesn't even use it until the very end, and it doesn't work). I mean it was stupid, and a terrible end to such a long arc, but it was pretty clear cut.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Minus Green posted:

I wonder which plot thread we'll jump to now. Ichigo? The Fullbringers? A new sternritter entirely? Orihime and Chad and everyone else who's been farting around in Hueco Mundo for over a year now?

I've been thinking about this for some time, and while I don't think it will necessarily happen next (we're probably gonna get a fight with Checkerteeth or somebody like him next), I'm assuming that Mayuri and Nemu both still have fights waiting in the queue. However I don't think they're gonna fight Sternritter D... they're more than likely gonna fight the Lady Sternritters P and T, whose names will either be "The Pain" and "The Toxin", or "The Poison" and "The Torture", respectively. Both fights will basically turn into giant dick-waving contests over who is the best poisoner/most sadistic torturer.

Also Urahara will be there doing... something, I dunno. Maybe revealing his bankai.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 1, 2014

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That ending was the worst

Wha? No pomp and circumstance? Just gonna one shot him like that?

Dammit Kubo

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

BlitzBlast posted:

It was just an extension of the "I'm so strong nothing you do works". In their final forms, Aizen and Ichigo were ~so powerful~ that their spirit pressure was far beyond the comprehension of an ordinary being. Ichigo in particular bullshits his way into being so strong that not even Aizen could grasp him, which is what led to that "oh I see you converted all your power into physical strength :smug:" thing that confused so many people.

It's like in Soul Eater when the main characters are learning to sense souls. They are all impressed by the power that Stein's soul has and such, but when they look at Shinigami he doesn't seem to have any power at all. But that's because his soul is so huge it encompasses the whole city.

It's like trying to grasp the size of the earth when standing on it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Advice posted:

It just bothers me that there was apparently some super secret technique to ascend past a level Aizen could even dream of (Final Getsuga) that is common enough to have a name but that nobody else could do.

I always interpreted this as meaning the Final Getsuga Tenshou was supposed to be fatal to the user. Presumably if Isshin (Or someone else) used the Final Getsuga Tenshou he would die (I don't think escaping to a Gigai would cut it.) Ichigo alone had his human heritage to fall back on.

And considering even Ichigo couldn't kill Aizen with it, that means it probably wasn't worth it as a sacrificial move for Isshin. So it's not as big of a sacrifice for Ichigo, and he was the only one with enough experience points reiatsu to make it worthwhile.

What I want to know is why Yoruichi and Urahara couldn't release their Shikai and Bankai respectively during that fight. I get that Isshin had some secret to hide which is why he couldn't release his Zanpakuto, but what about them? Did they assume it wouldn't make a difference? Would it escalate the fight and make Aizen release his Bankai which would do Something?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If you just go and assume Aizen's in a state of perpetual Bankai things make a lot more sense.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
his bankai is opening his face and peeling off his skin. he really hates it.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Aizen may not even have a bankai. It's not like he needed one to be more powerful than all the other captains (excluding Yamamoto), and he could use his shikai to make it look like he had one in order to become a captain.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zogundar posted:

I always interpreted this as meaning the Final Getsuga Tenshou was supposed to be fatal to the user. Presumably if Isshin (Or someone else) used the Final Getsuga Tenshou he would die (I don't think escaping to a Gigai would cut it.) Ichigo alone had his human heritage to fall back on.

And considering even Ichigo couldn't kill Aizen with it, that means it probably wasn't worth it as a sacrificial move for Isshin. So it's not as big of a sacrifice for Ichigo, and he was the only one with enough experience points reiatsu to make it worthwhile.

What I want to know is why Yoruichi and Urahara couldn't release their Shikai and Bankai respectively during that fight. I get that Isshin had some secret to hide which is why he couldn't release his Zanpakuto, but what about them? Did they assume it wouldn't make a difference? Would it escalate the fight and make Aizen release his Bankai which would do Something?

Nah nah nah, final getsuga was like that quincy thing ishda did when he fought that psycho doctor captain. Hell, they even stabbed Ichigi near his heart when they gave him back his powers. Remember that Ishida got shot by his dad to bring his back?

Or if it isn't the quincy thing, maybe it's just an end all one shot that burns you out completely, that only people who are 100% in tune with their zanpaktou can do.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Fhate posted:

Aizen may not even have a bankai. It's not like he needed one to be more powerful than all the other captains (excluding Yamamoto), and he could use his shikai to make it look like he had one in order to become a captain.

Pretty much this

To be honest, what else could top that broken of a shikai? Super plot hypnosis?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Parrotine posted:

Pretty much this

That world-engulfing mass illusion thing from Naruto, maybe?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Control over proprioception and sense of time.

Unable to figure out where your hands are relative to the rest of your body, you try to stay perfectly still, but you've already accidentally cut your legs off. But that's okay, because it's not like you could tell where they were or reliably use them if they were still attached.

And much like what happened with Szayel, he could casually walk up to you and stab you without you being able to do anything.

tl;dr
yes

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

Pretty much this

Aizen used his bankai right after the Soul Society arc to make the manga lovely; everything after has just been an illusion.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Aizen's bankai was probably just the ability to use his illusions without someone having to see the sword first. He was just too arrogant after Buttfly stage to bother ever using it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really wish Ichigo would fight some guy and have an internal monologue about trying to figure out which power set he should use.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That world-engulfing mass illusion thing from Naruto, maybe?
The MOON EYE'S PLAN?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bisse posted:

The MOON EYE'S PLAN?

Tell me more about this MOON EYE'S PLAN

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Tell me more about this MOON EYE'S PLAN
I heard you like the sharingan.

So I put some sharingan in your sharinganmoon.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I bet Aizen's Bankai equates to a big undo button

"Oh, you hit me with your special sword power? Well how bout I just undo it from ever happening at all" :shepface:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Parrotine posted:

"Oh, you hit me with your special sword power? Well how bout I just undo it from ever happening at all" :shepface:

Naruto spoiler:

.....Yet another Naruto power.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BLEACH is pretty bad right now but it doesn't compare to how lovely and horrible Naruto has become. That is the textbook definition of something that needs to be put out of its own misery.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kirios posted:

BLEACH is pretty bad right now but it doesn't compare to how lovely and horrible Naruto has become. That is the textbook definition of something that needs to be put out of its own misery.

It would just turn out to be an illusion that it was put down.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I was sure there was a reset coming at the end of that arc since I watched the anime first, with its usually accurate spoilery OPs. And the 13th OP shows among other things, the Hogyoku turning to dust and rapid aging of the room it's in, and a rewind of all the events in Bleach going back to the very beginning of the series. I guess they really just wanted some kind of memorable bookend (Though if it ever restarts something like that would be more appropriate for the final OP.)

Also I assumed Aizen was the final boss of this story and I didn't see him being defeated so "soon," and since he couldn't succeed either it made sense to me that something else would happen. It took me a while to come to terms with what actually happened. It felt like if JK Rowling went back on her word and the 7th Harry Potter book ended with Voldemort going to jail and Harry losing his wizard powers and then- you get the idea.

(I would have read "Harry Potter & The Arrow Ghosts.) :smith:

Kirios posted:

That sounds pretty bad. I haven't read past the first chapter of Naruto, but I was surprised that I didn't completely hate it and that I actually kind of liked the premise. Now I'm torn between reading the rest (GOTTA CATCH UP, SPOILERS WILL GET ME.) :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bisse posted:

The MOON EYE'S PLAN?

Yeah that thing.

I mean Aizen's sword already has the word "moon" in it's name.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kirios posted:

I'm a pretty big Naruto fan and all, and I like a lot of stuff in it that other people don't but god dammit right now it's just so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Aizen's bankai is a laser light show at a pink floyd concert trust me, my dad's uncle's brother's flatmate back in college smoked some weed with kubo once.

• Locked thread