Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
you gotta turn it on under the settings once youve performed a search

search tools -> all results -> verbatim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pain in the rear end when searching for specific text that contains typos and all that, i telly ou what

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rufus Ping posted:

you gotta turn it on under the settings once youve performed a search

search tools -> all results -> verbatim
putting 'search for what i search for' as an option buried in the settings, google design at work

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

switched to ddg as default search where + and " work properly. gently caress you google.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sudo Echo posted:

switched to ddg as default search where + and " work properly. gently caress you google.

you can be very precise with the poo poo bing results you get yay

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

qirex posted:

p sure "this" doesn't work for verbatim strings anymore, I remember getting pissed about that a while back because I was trying to search a string with some punctuation

it definitely works for multiword strings. i can't think of any test case to try it with single words.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

google is deprecating the URL in chrome. :rip:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didnt apple do that in ios 7 safari

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea but ios 7 was all about letting the content take front and center and the change fits with the overall design goal. google is trying to become the new aol and have everyone search for keywords on google.com. CPC is tanking, little tweaks like this will incrementally drive up aggregate clicks

quote:

More recently, browsers started hiding the URL scheme. [url]http://[/url] was no more, as far as most users were concerned. In iOS 7, Mobile Safari went even further and hid everything about the URL except the domain. With the Chrome “origin chip” change, the URL will move out of the field entirely, to a tidy little button that many users will never even realize is clickable.

http://www.allenpike.com/2014/burying-the-url/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

chrum is a bad browser

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
“If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you give a man a fish every day, you feed him for a life time”. By Don Wood.

I’ve found that by twisting something, it stimulates people to think, and in so doing they discover the wisdom of the original saying in a new and more meaningful way.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

wtf is garybacon

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does the omnibox learn your tab completions yet or is chrome still poo poo?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

yea but ios 7 was all about letting the content take front and center and the change fits with the overall design goal. google is trying to become the new aol and have everyone search for keywords on google.com. CPC is tanking, little tweaks like this will incrementally drive up aggregate clicks

cool impression of how i'd write a strawman apple defender

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

PCjr sidecar posted:

wtf is garybacon

when does the gary bacon goon sire

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
cremnob youre fighting the good fight itt and i support you. stay strong. i love you

poty
Jun 21, 2008

qirex posted:

p sure "this" doesn't work for verbatim strings anymore, I remember getting pissed about that a while back because I was trying to search a string with some punctuation

for punctuation stuff you have to go to duckduckgo. google is useless

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

thanks pal :cool:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

voted 5

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
ios7 was about ruining years of good ui by going for looks over legibility and usability, and proving that being a great hardware designer doesn't mean you can design UIs for poo poo.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

when does the gary bacon goon sire

judging by the garys i know all the goddamn time

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spongeh posted:

ios7 was about ruining years of good ui by going for looks over legibility and usability, and proving that being a great hardware designer doesn't mean you can design UIs for poo poo.

i dont see how it proves it, they haven't had great hardware design since december 1992

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

light fishmechin in the afternoon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spongeh posted:

ios7 was about change for change's sake

fortunately for us nothing you do to a smartphone interface actually matters because it's a 4" screen with 1/2" touch targets

(unless you're on an android. in which case it's a 6" screen with 1" touch targets, and the edge doesn't work.)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

yeah i didnt think about it like that. putting domain only on ios 7 was probably to save space (the domain shrinks a little when you scroll) and to look nicer

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
stebe's rdf only getting more powerful after being struck down i see

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

wow wtf google

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gary bacon raped and murdered a girl in 1990

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i truly had to view the world as a fishmech to get this dumb abbreviation

it was rather poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

duTrieux. posted:

gary bacon raped and murdered a girl in 1990

that is hosed up if it is true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

i truly had to view the world as a fishmech to get this dumb abbreviation

it was rather poo poo

how do you yospost and not know about the rdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ive been gone a while i apologize :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

ive been gone a while i apologize :(

dog the reality distortion field is older than most of yospos

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I officially started on the Mac project on a Thursday afternoon, and Bud Tribble, my new manager and the only other software person on the project, was out of town. Bud was on leave of absence from an M.D.-Ph.D. program and he had to occasionally return to Seattle to keep up his standing in the program.

Bud usually didn't come into work until after lunch, so I met with him for the first time the following Monday afternoon. We started talking about all the work that had to be done, which was pretty overwhelming. He showed me the official schedule for developing the software that had us shipping in about ten months, in early January 1982.

"Bud, that's crazy!", I told him. "We've hardly even started yet. There's no way we can get it done by then."

"I know," he responded, in a low voice, almost a whisper.

"You know? If you know the schedule is off-base, why don't you correct it?"

"Well, it's Steve. Steve insists that we're shipping in early 1982, and won't accept answers to the contrary. The best way to describe the situation is a term from Star Trek. Steve has a reality distortion field."

"A what?"

"A reality distortion field. In his presence, reality is malleable. He can convince anyone of practically anything. It wears off when he's not around, but it makes it hard to have realistic schedules. And there's a couple of other things you should know about working with Steve."

"What else?"

"Well, just because he tells you that something is awful or great, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll feel that way tomorrow. You have to low-pass filter his input. And then, he's really funny about ideas. If you tell him a new idea, he'll usually tell you that he thinks it's stupid. But then, if he actually likes it, exactly one week later, he'll come back to you and propose your idea to you, as if he thought of it."

I thought Bud was surely exaggerating, until I observed Steve in action over the next few weeks. The reality distortion field was a confounding melange of a charismatic rhetorical style, an indomitable will, and an eagerness to bend any fact to fit the purpose at hand. If one line of argument failed to persuade, he would deftly switch to another. Sometimes, he would throw you off balance by suddenly adopting your position as his own, without acknowledging that he ever thought differently.

Amazingly, the reality distortion field seemed to be effective even if you were acutely aware of it, although the effects would fade after Steve departed. We would often discuss potential techniques for grounding it

- Andy Hertzfeld, 1981

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

stebe was such a boss

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Install Windows posted:

dog the reality distortion field is older than most of yospos

ya but i mean the abbreviation ok !! i was like wait people actually use the rdf file extension http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cremnob posted:

stebe was such a boss

ya

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

how do you yospost and not know about the rdf

it has the word semantic right in it, gosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ios 7 is great, looks great, perfectly legible, much better than forstall os 6, yall are idiots

• Locked thread