Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Culture - a human/machine symbiotic society - has thrown up many great Game Players, and one of the greatest is Gurgeh. Jernau Morat Gurgeh. The Player of Games. Master of every board, computer and strategy.

Bored with success, Gurgeh travels to the Town of Pawnee, cruel and incredibly obese, to try their fabulous 'Cones of Dunshire' ... a game so complex, so like life itself, that the winner becomes Arch-Wizard of the town. Mocked, blackmailed, almost murdered, Gurgeh accepts the game, and with it the challenge of his life - and very possibly his death.

Can't be worse than Excession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
You think Ben had to sell his Iron Throne? Can't have three little children stabbing themselves on the swords of enemies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OmegaBR posted:

You think Ben had to sell his Iron Throne? Can't have three little children stabbing themselves on the swords of enemies.

Oh god. How are they gonna reference Game of Thrones from now on? Are they gonna make things up regarding the show 3 season in the future?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Macaluso posted:

Oh god. How are they gonna reference Game of Thrones from now on? Are they gonna make things up regarding the show 3 season in the future?

GRRM takes forever to write books anyway so they're just going to talk about things in the books that haven't made it to the show yet. The fear of spoilers send the ratings into the worst tailspin in TV history.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Macaluso posted:

Hhahahha, fictional Game of Thrones finale episode.

"As we all know Season 6's season of Game of Thrones was the best one yet- leading on to win 9 Emmy Awards..."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Why talk about Game of Thrones when they can talk about novelization of the Cones of Dunshire, which has spawned a season (just picked up for two more) and an upcoming movie franchise.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have to wonder if Tom is still trying to be cool by 2017 standards or if he's desperately clinging to late 00's/early 10's pop culture and in complete denial that that stuff is passe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did they say the show was taking place in 2014? Because three years later could be 2014 if that's not the case.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I want to know if Joe Biden won his 2016 presidential bid.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LividLiquid posted:

Did they say the show was taking place in 2014? Because three years later could be 2014 if that's not the case.

They referenced current event stuff all the time. The show definitely took place in present time (until the 3 year time skip)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

LividLiquid posted:

When they put about the Leslie Knope plaque outside it said April 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

There's something on the wall behind them in that scene that says 2017, I think.

"Conference Schedule 2017"

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 2, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

There's something on the wall behind them in that scene that says 2017, I think.

Yes, but is that the year of our Lord, or the year of Zorp?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wow, they really can't talk about current events anymore. Better hope nothing huge happens in those three years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Wow, they really can't talk about current events anymore. Better hope nothing huge happens in those three years.

Maybe they will bring up Community's threat of a meteor?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They also probably can't mention Hilary Clinton ever again.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
"When you play the game of Cones, you either win or you die. There is no middle ground."

WHY DIDNT YOU SAY THIS, BEN

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

They also probably can't mention Hilary Clinton ever again.

On the plus side, this may bring a merciful end to the awkward politician cameos.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

On the plus side, this may bring a merciful end to the awkward politician cameos.
Counterpoint: They probably had to apologize to Joe Biden for how uncomfortable they made him, and that's hilarious.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Counterpoint: They probably had to apologize to Joe Biden for how uncomfortable they made him, and that's hilarious.

Isn't he a big fan of the show, so he knows how awkward the show can be?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bill Murray as President Gunderson.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Season 4:

*JFK voice*"Ich bin ein three legged dog!"

:sbahj: Chris rules.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The political cameos are pretty great; I think Biden knocked it out of the park. Now they just need to go for the trifecta and have B-Rock himself come to town touring his memoirs.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

PittTheElder posted:

The political cameos are pretty great; I think Biden knocked it out of the park. Now they just need to go for the trifecta and have B-Rock himself come to town touring his memoirs.

Depending on when in 2017, he could still be President. :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ETB posted:

Depending on when in 2017, he could still be President. :v:

The recurring "Biden for eternal VP" joke from D&D could absolutely be Parks and Rec's reality.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I prefer casual but frequent mentions of Emperor Obama.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Surprise twist, show takes a 3 year hiatus to allow reality to catch up.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There were a handful of decent episodes but overall the season felt like it was treading water. Also, I'm probably in the minority camp here but I really think they've moved Andy far too much along the Homer Simpson stupidity scale, in the last few seasons he's gone from lovable doofus who's slightly detached from reality to too-stupid-to-live literal manchild. I know sitcoms generally blow up character traits as they run on but seems a really crude way they've done it in this case.

This, and also April is tedious now - past mid-20s, apathetic goth attitude just seems really silly.

I liked the finale mostly, it had the optimism that really drew me to the show. However I was hoping that that was its big send off, as they're running out of steam.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Greyish Orange posted:

This, and also April is tedious now - past mid-20s, apathetic goth attitude just seems really silly.

I liked the finale mostly, it had the optimism that really drew me to the show. However I was hoping that that was its big send off, as they're running out of steam.

That's been my big problem with her too. She can still be fun sometimes, but the whiny tone of voice and her vocal objections to anything that smacks of maturity is getting really grating. She's not a high schooler anymore, she shouldn't have to be wheedled into doing anything constructive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Season 7 will be the final season of Parks and Recreation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ken Tremendous just tweeted the news five minutes ago.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Good news. I like them knowing early. They've ended the show well like 3 times already so I'm optimistic they can put something cool together knowing for sure this time. Especially after the time skip. Should be a fun season.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm all right with this. And since they already used up the "The Return of Everyone!" finale this year, maybe next year's will be a totally new kind of finale.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Lil Sebastian makes a surprise return at the wedding in the finale.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Lil Sebastian makes a surprise return at the wedding in the finale.

April and Andy finally get back together?!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This is also important -

quote:

The upcoming seventh season of the Amy Poehler comedy will be its last, NBC announced Saturday when the network released its 2014-15 schedule that featured the veteran comedy being benched for midseason. An exact episode count remains unclear.

So, midseason launch. Hopefully this means no or few off weeks the first half of next year.

Otherwise, I'm glad. It's time, and it's great that they're sure in advance to write us the ending the show deserves. :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was really pissed off when season 3 aired midseason and got truncated, but I'm kind of glad that this is the case for the final season. The last two seasons in particular had a ton of extra space that they clearly had trouble filling, so hopefully cutting out five or ten episodes will make it flow a lot better.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

It's sad that the show is ending, but it's better knowing in advance. They can wrap things up in a satisfying way.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

How many not-finales has this show had so far? Off the top of my head there's The Pit getting filled in, Leslie and Ben's wedding, Ann leaving Pawnee, and... the most recent episode (until the last thirty seconds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I like how this is all aligning. The last season finale works as a goodbye to the Pawnee and dynamics we've known for years. With a short season and a clear end in sight, there's an opportunity for a great send off without feeling required to recycle old jokes.

Does it work out like that who knows? But the potential is there.

• Locked thread